No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up - Mozilla

This is a discussion on No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up - Mozilla ; DoctorBill wrote: > I just switched from Netzero to another ISP. Got tired of the dialer > starting IE and having to kill it each time I get on the Internet. > Was loading viruses with IE...???? > > I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > I just switched from Netzero to another ISP. Got tired of the dialer
    > starting IE and having to kill it each time I get on the Internet.
    > Was loading viruses with IE...????
    >
    > I have the new ISP E-Mail all set up and will soon try putting all my
    > previous folders from NZ into the new ISP E-Mail folder.
    >
    > But...I no longer get that message in the bar near the bottom when I
    > click "Get Msgs" like before.

    Do you mean the "Downloading message 2 of 6" type message?? If this is a
    new email address, are there actually any messages to download? Have you
    sent yourself some messages??

    Daniel

    > I can't tell if things are working as they should if nothing happens.
    >
    > I've looked in Preferences and in Mail and Newsgroups to see if I left
    > anything unchecked.
    >
    > Why would that feature not work any more?
    >
    > DoctorBill

  2. No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    I just switched from Netzero to another ISP. Got tired of the dialer
    starting IE and having to kill it each time I get on the Internet.
    Was loading viruses with IE...????

    I have the new ISP E-Mail all set up and will soon try putting all my
    previous folders from NZ into the new ISP E-Mail folder.

    But...I no longer get that message in the bar near the bottom when I
    click "Get Msgs" like before.

    I can't tell if things are working as they should if nothing happens.

    I've looked in Preferences and in Mail and Newsgroups to see if I left
    anything unchecked.

    Why would that feature not work any more?

    DoctorBill

  3. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    Daniel wrote:
    > DoctorBill wrote:
    >> I just switched from Netzero to another ISP. Got tired of the dialer
    >> starting IE and having to kill it each time I get on the Internet.
    >> Was loading viruses with IE...????
    >>
    >> I have the new ISP E-Mail all set up and will soon try putting all my
    >> previous folders from NZ into the new ISP E-Mail folder.
    >>
    >> But...I no longer get that message in the bar near the bottom when I
    >> click "Get Msgs" like before.
    >>

    > Do you mean the "Downloading message 2 of 6" type message?? If this is a
    > new email address, are there actually any messages to download? Have you
    > sent yourself some messages??
    >
    > Daniel
    >
    >> I can't tell if things are working as they should if nothing happens.
    >>
    >> I've looked in Preferences and in Mail and Newsgroups to see if I left
    >> anything unchecked.
    >>
    >> Why would that feature not work any more?
    >>
    >> DoctorBill

    OK...I tried sending myself a test message.

    Some words DID *Flash* across the bar at the bottom for maybe a small
    fraction of a second. Man, was it fast!

    So...if I have more than one message and if they take a while to
    download (am on slow dial up), then I will see those messages.

    Is there something I can enter into pref.js or another file to make said
    messages play longer than 5 microseconds?

    I just want to see that something is happening.

    The throbber does nothing during checking for mail...

    Maybe that would be a good *suggestion* - a "Get Messages Throbber" !

    DoctorBill

    --

    I'm so sick of the "Presidential Race" on the "News"....
    Minute by minute of "...who cares, anyway?"

  4. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > I just switched from Netzero to another ISP. Got tired of the dialer
    > starting IE and having to kill it each time I get on the Internet.

    Were you using some kind of dorky Netzero branded software to connect,
    instead of just dialing in and being online?

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  5. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    DoctorBill wrote:

    snip

    > Is there something I can enter into pref.js or another file to make said
    > messages play longer than 5 microseconds?
    >
    > I just want to see that something is happening.
    >
    > The throbber does nothing during checking for mail...
    >
    > Maybe that would be a good *suggestion* - a "Get Messages Throbber" !
    >
    > DoctorBill

    Hi Bill,

    So you finally got rid of your IE problem; good for you!

    Open about:config, user the filter word "alert" and change the value of
    Alerts.totalOpentime. I personally set it to 8000.

    That will make the message display longer.

    Regards

    --
    John Doue

  6. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > DoctorBill wrote:
    >> I just switched from Netzero to another ISP. Got tired of the dialer
    >> starting IE and having to kill it each time I get on the Internet.

    > Were you using some kind of dorky Netzero branded software to connect,
    > instead of just dialing in and being online?

    Netzero uses a "dorky branded software" to connect.

    I never tried to modify anything to bypass it.

    That would have been interesting to try - never thought of it. Wouldn't
    know how. I should have!

    I have a bad rep on this News Group for messing with things and getting
    in trouble.

    It is nice to see that others do the same thing.

    You and I are not sheep.....

    DoctorBill

  7. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    John Doue wrote:
    > DoctorBill wrote:
    >
    > snip
    >

    >> Is there something I can enter into pref.js or another file to make
    >> said messages play longer than 5 microseconds?
    >>
    >> I just want to see that something is happening.
    >>
    >> The throbber does nothing during checking for mail...
    >>
    >> Maybe that would be a good *suggestion* - a "Get Messages Throbber" !
    >>
    >> DoctorBill
    >>

    > Hi Bill,
    >
    > So you finally got rid of your IE problem; good for you!
    >
    > Open about:config, user the filter word "alert" and change the value of
    > Alerts.totalOpentime. I personally set it to 8000.
    >
    > That will make the message display longer.
    >
    > Regards

    Yes - the new ISP seems to be working. (Basicisp.net out of Ohio - all
    in the USA)

    It has "Accelerated Connection" for the same price Netzero had regular
    connection ($10/month). Netzero wanted $15/month for the accelerated
    type connection.

    BTW - is accelerated woth a damn - does it actually work (data
    compression) ?

    I don't notice any big difference - supposedly up to 7x faster (?)

    I set the "Alerts.totalOpentime" to 8000. How big a number can I go up
    to before I mess up the system?

    DoctorBill

  8. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > John Doue wrote:
    >> DoctorBill wrote:
    >>
    >> snip
    >>

    >>> Is there something I can enter into pref.js or another file to make
    >>> said messages play longer than 5 microseconds?
    >>>
    >>> I just want to see that something is happening.
    >>>
    >>> The throbber does nothing during checking for mail...
    >>>
    >>> Maybe that would be a good *suggestion* - a "Get Messages Throbber" !
    >>>
    >>> DoctorBill
    >>>

    >> Hi Bill,
    >>
    >> So you finally got rid of your IE problem; good for you!
    >>
    >> Open about:config, user the filter word "alert" and change the value
    >> of Alerts.totalOpentime. I personally set it to 8000.
    >>
    >> That will make the message display longer.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>

    > Yes - the new ISP seems to be working. (Basicisp.net out of Ohio - all
    > in the USA)
    >
    > It has "Accelerated Connection" for the same price Netzero had regular
    > connection ($10/month). Netzero wanted $15/month for the accelerated
    > type connection.
    >
    > BTW - is accelerated woth a damn - does it actually work (data
    > compression) ?
    >
    > I don't notice any big difference - supposedly up to 7x faster (?)
    >
    > I set the "Alerts.totalOpentime" to 8000. How big a number can I go up
    > to before I mess up the system?
    >
    > DoctorBill

    Bill,

    I have no experience with "accelerated connections". I would guess it
    uses data compression. If this is the case, the speed gain would be
    minimal or inexistent when transfered data is already in a compressed
    format.

    I have no idea if there is a limit to the Alerts.Totalopentime
    parameters. You do not risk much by experimenting ...

    Regards

    --
    John Doue

  9. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> DoctorBill wrote:
    >>> I just switched from Netzero to another ISP. Got tired of the dialer
    >>> starting IE and having to kill it each time I get on the Internet.

    >> Were you using some kind of dorky Netzero branded software to connect,
    >> instead of just dialing in and being online?
    >>

    > Netzero uses a "dorky branded software" to connect.
    >
    > I never tried to modify anything to bypass it.
    >
    > That would have been interesting to try - never thought of it. Wouldn't
    > know how. I should have!

    Just set up a connectoid through Windows. Phone number, name, password.

    To connect, click that icon and not the one that leads to the dorky
    branded software.

    > I have a bad rep on this News Group for messing with things and getting
    > in trouble.
    >
    > It is nice to see that others do the same thing.

    I've never considered not using branded connectware to be messing with
    something. I consider *branded connectware* to be messing with
    something -- the simple process of dialing in.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  10. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    John Doue wrote:
    > DoctorBill wrote:
    >> John Doue wrote:
    >>> DoctorBill wrote:
    >>>
    >>> snip

    >>> Hi Bill,
    >>>
    >>> So you finally got rid of your IE problem; good for you!
    >>>
    >>> Open about:config, user the filter word "alert" and change the value
    >>> of Alerts.totalOpentime. I personally set it to 8000.
    >>>
    >>> That will make the message display longer.
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>>

    >> Yes - the new ISP seems to be working. (Basicisp.net out of Ohio -
    >> all in the USA)
    >>
    >> It has "Accelerated Connection" for the same price Netzero had regular
    >> connection ($10/month). Netzero wanted $15/month for the accelerated
    >> type connection.
    >>
    >> BTW - is accelerated woth a damn - does it actually work (data
    >> compression) ?
    >>
    >> I don't notice any big difference - supposedly up to 7x faster (?)
    >>
    >> I set the "Alerts.totalOpentime" to 8000. How big a number can I go
    >> up to before I mess up the system?
    >>
    >> DoctorBill

    > Bill,
    >
    > I have no experience with "accelerated connections". I would guess it
    > uses data compression. If this is the case, the speed gain would be
    > minimal or inexistent when transfered data is already in a compressed
    > format.
    >
    > I have no idea if there is a limit to the Alerts.Totalopentime
    > parameters. You do not risk much by experimenting ...
    >
    > Regards

    As I understand it, most accellerators for dialup users make use of
    extended caching, making pages seem to load faster, but then again, more
    prone to errors when content changes.

    Lee

  11. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > John Doue wrote:
    >> DoctorBill wrote:

    >>> Yes - the new ISP seems to be working. (Basicisp.net out of Ohio -
    >>> all in the USA)
    >>>
    >>> It has "Accelerated Connection" for the same price Netzero had regular
    >>> connection ($10/month). Netzero wanted $15/month for the accelerated
    >>> type connection.
    >>>
    >>> BTW - is accelerated woth a damn - does it actually work (data
    >>> compression) ?
    >>>
    >>> I don't notice any big difference - supposedly up to 7x faster (?)
    >>>
    >>> I set the "Alerts.totalOpentime" to 8000. How big a number can I go
    >>> up to before I mess up the system?
    >>>
    >>> DoctorBill

    >> Bill,
    >>
    >> I have no experience with "accelerated connections". I would guess it
    >> uses data compression. If this is the case, the speed gain would be
    >> minimal or inexistent when transfered data is already in a compressed
    >> format.
    >>
    >> I have no idea if there is a limit to the Alerts.Totalopentime
    >> parameters. You do not risk much by experimenting ...
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>

    > As I understand it, most accellerators for dialup users make use of
    > extended caching, making pages seem to load faster, but then again, more
    > prone to errors when content changes.
    >
    > Lee

    if you want sites to load faster, try OpenDNS:
    http://www.opendns.com/. Its free.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  12. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > DoctorBill wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>> Were you using some kind of dorky Netzero branded software to connect,
    >>> instead of just dialing in and being online?
    >>>

    >> Netzero uses a "dorky branded software" to connect.
    >>
    >> I never tried to modify anything to bypass it.
    >>
    >> That would have been interesting to try - never thought of it. Wouldn't
    >> know how. I should have!

    > Just set up a connectoid through Windows. Phone number, name, password.
    >
    > To connect, click that icon and not the one that leads to the dorky
    > branded software.

    Like AOL, with NetZero you have to use their dialer. Which forks a
    browser window to show you ads and take you where they want you to
    go.

    -sw

  13. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> John Doue wrote:

    >>> Bill,
    >>>
    >>> I have no experience with "accelerated connections". I would guess it
    >>> uses data compression. If this is the case, the speed gain would be
    >>> minimal or inexistent when transfered data is already in a compressed
    >>> format.
    >>>
    >>> I have no idea if there is a limit to the Alerts.Totalopentime
    >>> parameters. You do not risk much by experimenting ...
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>>

    >> As I understand it, most accellerators for dialup users make use of
    >> extended caching, making pages seem to load faster, but then again,
    >> more prone to errors when content changes.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > if you want sites to load faster, try OpenDNS: http://www.opendns.com/.
    > Its free.

    You have just educated me on something *new to me*!

    I Googled "OpenDNS" and read *somewhat* on it.....confusing to a newbie.

    So the DNS numbers that my ISP uses are THEIR choice and can change day
    to day - yes?

    If I go to Internet Connections....TCP/IP Settings and put "OpenDNS's"
    settings in there, then my ISP's DNS's are not used - yes?

    They are not data collectors and sellers - can I trust that...?

    Thanks for this heads up info.

    Another thing that I can *mess around with* and screw up my computer so
    that I have to come back here and ask for help!
    Then someone can make *snide remarks* on how I fart around with my
    system and get into trouble....

    But what is life for if not to fart around and get into trouble?
    Just don't bore me!

    DoctorBill

  14. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> As I understand it, most accellerators for dialup users make use of
    >>> extended caching, making pages seem to load faster, but then again,
    >>> more prone to errors when content changes.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> if you want sites to load faster, try OpenDNS: http://www.opendns.com/.
    >> Its free.
    >>

    > You have just educated me on something *new to me*!
    >
    > I Googled "OpenDNS" and read *somewhat* on it.....confusing to a newbie.
    >
    > So the DNS numbers that my ISP uses are THEIR choice and can change day
    > to day - yes?
    >
    > If I go to Internet Connections....TCP/IP Settings and put "OpenDNS's"
    > settings in there, then my ISP's DNS's are not used - yes?
    >
    > They are not data collectors and sellers - can I trust that...?
    >
    > Thanks for this heads up info.
    >
    > Another thing that I can *mess around with* and screw up my computer so
    > that I have to come back here and ask for help!
    > Then someone can make *snide remarks* on how I fart around with my
    > system and get into trouble....
    >
    > But what is life for if not to fart around and get into trouble?
    > Just don't bore me!
    >
    > DoctorBill

    what happens is similar to SeaMonkey's cache. Instead of
    the pages being cached at your ISP, they're stored on
    OpenDNS's computers, which makes them load faster. Atleast
    thats the way I understand it.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  15. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > DoctorBill wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> if you want sites to load faster, try OpenDNS: http://www.opendns.com/.
    >>> Its free.
    >>>

    >> You have just educated me on something *new to me*!
    >>
    >> I Googled "OpenDNS" and read *somewhat* on it.....confusing to a newbie.
    >>
    >> So the DNS numbers that my ISP uses are THEIR choice and can change day
    >> to day - yes?
    >>
    >> If I go to Internet Connections....TCP/IP Settings and put "OpenDNS's"
    >> settings in there, then my ISP's DNS's are not used - yes?
    >>
    >> They are not data collectors and sellers - can I trust that...?
    >>
    >> Thanks for this heads up info.
    >>

    > what happens is similar to SeaMonkey's cache. Instead of
    > the pages being cached at your ISP, they're stored on
    > OpenDNS's computers, which makes them load faster. Atleast
    > thats the way I understand it.

    Oh, I used to use OpenDNS when I was using win98, and things
    went faster. I haven't tried it out in xp yet, so I really
    don't know. The only problem I hated was when there was no
    such website, I would be taken to an OpenDNS similar sites
    pages.
    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  16. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    Sqwertz wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> DoctorBill wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> Netzero uses a "dorky branded software" to connect.
    >>>
    >>> I never tried to modify anything to bypass it.
    >>>
    >>> That would have been interesting to try - never thought of it. Wouldn't
    >>> know how. I should have!

    >> Just set up a connectoid through Windows. Phone number, name, password.
    >>
    >> To connect, click that icon and not the one that leads to the dorky
    >> branded software.

    > Like AOL, with NetZero you have to use their dialer. Which forks a
    > browser window to show you ads and take you where they want you to
    > go.

    Well, then they don't deserve to live.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  17. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > DoctorBill wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> if you want sites to load faster, try OpenDNS:
    >>> http://www.opendns.com/. Its free.
    >>>

    >> You have just educated me on something *new to me*!
    >>
    >> I Googled "OpenDNS" and read *somewhat* on it.....confusing to a newbie.
    >>
    >> So the DNS numbers that my ISP uses are THEIR choice and can change
    >> day to day - yes?
    >>
    >> If I go to Internet Connections....TCP/IP Settings and put "OpenDNS's"
    >> settings in there, then my ISP's DNS's are not used - yes?
    >>
    >> They are not data collectors and sellers - can I trust that...?
    >>
    >> Thanks for this heads up info.
    >>
    >> Another thing that I can *mess around with* and screw up my computer
    >> so that I have to come back here and ask for help!
    >> Then someone can make *snide remarks* on how I fart around with my
    >> system and get into trouble....
    >>
    >> But what is life for if not to fart around and get into trouble?
    >> Just don't bore me!
    >>
    >> DoctorBill

    > what happens is similar to SeaMonkey's cache. Instead of the pages
    > being cached at your ISP, they're stored on OpenDNS's computers, which
    > makes them load faster. Atleast thats the way I understand it.

    Hang on!! Peter are you saying that if I wanted to download
    www.sadfghyh.org, I would send out the request to OpenDNS's computers,
    they would the download the page and then send it to me?

    Unless OpenDNS's computers are located in the room next door and are
    connected to the www via a cable the size of a sewer pipe, how could
    that be faster then my just going direct??

    Daniel

  18. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    Daniel wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> what happens is similar to SeaMonkey's cache. Instead of the pages
    >> being cached at your ISP, they're stored on OpenDNS's computers, which
    >> makes them load faster. Atleast thats the way I understand it.

    > Hang on!! Peter are you saying that if I wanted to download
    > www.sadfghyh.org, I would send out the request to OpenDNS's computers,
    > they would the download the page and then send it to me?
    >
    > Unless OpenDNS's computers are located in the room next door and are
    > connected to the www via a cable the size of a sewer pipe, how could
    > that be faster then my just going direct??

    as I said, thats my understanding of it. I don't know if its
    true or not. Besides, it could be faster because someone
    else might have visited the site before you, therefore, the
    pages would be cached on their servers.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  19. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> what happens is similar to SeaMonkey's cache. Instead of the pages
    >>> being cached at your ISP, they're stored on OpenDNS's computers,
    >>> which makes them load faster. Atleast thats the way I understand it.

    >> Hang on!! Peter are you saying that if I wanted to download
    >> www.sadfghyh.org, I would send out the request to OpenDNS's computers,
    >> they would the download the page and then send it to me?
    >>
    >> Unless OpenDNS's computers are located in the room next door and are
    >> connected to the www via a cable the size of a sewer pipe, how could
    >> that be faster then my just going direct??

    > as I said, thats my understanding of it. I don't know if its true or
    > not. Besides, it could be faster because someone else might have
    > visited the site before you, therefore, the pages would be cached on
    > their servers.

    That's not the way it works.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS

    If you are seeing a speed increase it's simply because the OpenDNS
    servers are faster than your ISP's. Actual pages are not cached on the
    OD servers; only the actual /request/ is cached. That too /may/ improve
    page retrieval time vs. your ISP's (or any other) DNS server.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  20. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Daniel wrote:
    >>> Hang on!! Peter are you saying that if I wanted to download
    >>> www.sadfghyh.org, I would send out the request to OpenDNS's computers,
    >>> they would the download the page and then send it to me?
    >>>
    >>> Unless OpenDNS's computers are located in the room next door and are
    >>> connected to the www via a cable the size of a sewer pipe, how could
    >>> that be faster then my just going direct??

    >> as I said, thats my understanding of it. I don't know if its true or
    >> not. Besides, it could be faster because someone else might have
    >> visited the site before you, therefore, the pages would be cached on
    >> their servers.
    >>

    > That's not the way it works.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS
    >
    > If you are seeing a speed increase it's simply because the OpenDNS
    > servers are faster than your ISP's. Actual pages are not cached on the
    > OD servers; only the actual /request/ is cached. That too /may/ improve
    > page retrieval time vs. your ISP's (or any other) DNS server.

    it says:

    .. . . DNS queries are usually processed much more quickly,
    thereby increasing page retrieval speed. DNS query results
    are sometimes cached by the local operating system and/or
    applications

    to me that sounds like its got a similar cache system as
    that of SeaMonkey's. Therefore, pages are cached on their
    system.