No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up - Mozilla

This is a discussion on No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up - Mozilla ; Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote: > Ed Mullen wrote: >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote: >>> Daniel wrote: >>>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote: >>>>> what happens is similar to SeaMonkey's cache. Instead of the pages >>>>> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> as I said, thats my understanding of it. I don't know if its true or
    >>> not. Besides, it could be faster because someone else might have
    >>> visited the site before you, therefore, the pages would be cached on
    >>> their servers.
    >>>

    >> That's not the way it works.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS
    >>
    >> If you are seeing a speed increase it's simply because the OpenDNS
    >> servers are faster than your ISP's. Actual pages are not cached on
    >> the OD servers; only the actual /request/ is cached. That too /may/
    >> improve page retrieval time vs. your ISP's (or any other) DNS server.
    >>

    > it says:
    >

    > . . . DNS queries are usually processed much more quickly, thereby
    > increasing page retrieval speed. DNS query results are sometimes cached
    > by the local operating system and/or applications
    >

    > to me that sounds like its got a similar cache system as that of
    > SeaMonkey's. Therefore, pages are cached on their system.

    "DNS /query/ results ..." The result of a DNS query is the IP address
    of the page, NOT the page. e.g., enter http://google.com results in
    your browser going to 74.125.47.99. That result is what is cached, not
    the actual google page.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  2. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> That's not the way it works.
    >>>
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS
    >>>
    >>> If you are seeing a speed increase it's simply because the OpenDNS
    >>> servers are faster than your ISP's. Actual pages are not cached on
    >>> the OD servers; only the actual /request/ is cached. That too /may/
    >>> improve page retrieval time vs. your ISP's (or any other) DNS server.
    >>>

    >> it says:
    >>

    >> . . . DNS queries are usually processed much more quickly, thereby
    >> increasing page retrieval speed. DNS query results are sometimes cached
    >> by the local operating system and/or applications
    >>

    >> to me that sounds like its got a similar cache system as that of
    >> SeaMonkey's. Therefore, pages are cached on their system.
    >>

    > "DNS /query/ results ..." The result of a DNS query is the IP address
    > of the page, NOT the page. e.g., enter http://google.com results in
    > your browser going to 74.125.47.99. That result is what is cached, not
    > the actual google page.

    oh, ok

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> As I understand it, most accellerators for dialup users make use of
    >>> extended caching, making pages seem to load faster, but then again,
    >>> more prone to errors when content changes.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> if you want sites to load faster, try OpenDNS:
    >> http://www.opendns.com/. Its free.
    >>

    > You have just educated me on something *new to me*!
    >
    > I Googled "OpenDNS" and read *somewhat* on it.....confusing to a newbie.
    >
    > So the DNS numbers that my ISP uses are THEIR choice and can change day
    > to day - yes?
    >
    > If I go to Internet Connections....TCP/IP Settings and put "OpenDNS's"
    > settings in there, then my ISP's DNS's are not used - yes?
    >
    > They are not data collectors and sellers - can I trust that...?

    If you don't trust your ISP you are owned anyway, a DNS query is a very
    specific type and can be easily tracked if your ISP is an evildoer. And
    even though I run my own DNS server, there's no way to prevent its
    queries from being tracked.

    > Thanks for this heads up info.
    >
    > Another thing that I can *mess around with* and screw up my computer so
    > that I have to come back here and ask for help!
    > Then someone can make *snide remarks* on how I fart around with my
    > system and get into trouble....
    >
    > But what is life for if not to fart around and get into trouble?
    > Just don't bore me!

    I'm surprised that you can see the difference, your ISP's DNS must
    really suck. Most of the inquiries I track take < 50ms first time, and
    stay in cache for a while later.

    --
    Bill Davidsen

  4. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    Bill Davidsen wrote:
    > DoctorBill wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> if you want sites to load faster, try OpenDNS:
    >>> http://www.opendns.com/. Its free.
    >>>

    >> You have just educated me on something *new to me*!
    >>
    >> I Googled "OpenDNS" and read *somewhat* on it.....confusing to a newbie.
    >>
    >> So the DNS numbers that my ISP uses are THEIR choice and can change
    >> day to day - yes?
    >>
    >> If I go to Internet Connections....TCP/IP Settings and put "OpenDNS's"
    >> settings in there, then my ISP's DNS's are not used - yes?
    >>
    >> They are not data collectors and sellers - can I trust that...?
    >>

    > If you don't trust your ISP you are owned anyway, a DNS query is a very
    > specific type and can be easily tracked if your ISP is an evildoer. And
    > even though I run my own DNS server, there's no way to prevent its
    > queries from being tracked.
    >
    >> Thanks for this heads up info.
    >>
    >> Another thing that I can *mess around with* and screw up my computer
    >> so that I have to come back here and ask for help!
    >> Then someone can make *snide remarks* on how I fart around with my
    >> system and get into trouble....
    >>
    >> But what is life for if not to fart around and get into trouble?
    >> Just don't bore me!
    >>

    > I'm surprised that you can see the difference, your ISP's DNS must
    > really suck. Most of the inquiries I track take < 50ms first time, and
    > stay in cache for a while later.

    I have had their "Accelerated Service" called *HiSpeed* with all sorts
    of stuff in it's menu to show how it is working for about a week now.

    Never had accelerated service before.

    All in all, though, this seems just as slow if not slower that NetZero
    did - I am on a Verizon country phone line with dial up at 18 kbps....

    I'm not at all sure the extra $3/month is worth it.....

    DoctorBill

  5. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > Bill Davidsen wrote:
    >> DoctorBill wrote:

    >>> You have just educated me on something *new to me*!
    >>>
    >>> I Googled "OpenDNS" and read *somewhat* on it.....confusing to a newbie.
    >>>
    >>> So the DNS numbers that my ISP uses are THEIR choice and can change
    >>> day to day - yes?
    >>>
    >>> If I go to Internet Connections....TCP/IP Settings and put
    >>> "OpenDNS's" settings in there, then my ISP's DNS's are not used - yes?
    >>>
    >>> They are not data collectors and sellers - can I trust that...?
    >>>

    >> If you don't trust your ISP you are owned anyway, a DNS query is a
    >> very specific type and can be easily tracked if your ISP is an
    >> evildoer. And even though I run my own DNS server, there's no way to
    >> prevent its queries from being tracked.
    >>
    >>> Thanks for this heads up info.
    >>>
    >>> Another thing that I can *mess around with* and screw up my computer
    >>> so that I have to come back here and ask for help!
    >>> Then someone can make *snide remarks* on how I fart around with my
    >>> system and get into trouble....
    >>>
    >>> But what is life for if not to fart around and get into trouble?
    >>> Just don't bore me!
    >>>

    >> I'm surprised that you can see the difference, your ISP's DNS must
    >> really suck. Most of the inquiries I track take < 50ms first time, and
    >> stay in cache for a while later.
    >>

    > I have had their "Accelerated Service" called *HiSpeed* with all sorts
    > of stuff in it's menu to show how it is working for about a week now.
    >
    > Never had accelerated service before.
    >
    > All in all, though, this seems just as slow if not slower that NetZero
    > did - I am on a Verizon country phone line with dial up at 18 kbps....
    >
    > I'm not at all sure the extra $3/month is worth it.....
    >
    > DoctorBill

    Dial up accelerators work by an added level of caching. Any speed gain
    is jusst cosmetic I would recommend against them.

    Lee

  6. Re: No more "Checking Server for Messages" shows up

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Dial up accelerators work by an added level of caching. Any speed gain
    > is jusst cosmetic I would recommend against them.

    its too late for that recommendation now, isn't it? ;-)