Ho to change User Agent default? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Ho to change User Agent default? - Mozilla ; Using SeaMonkey 1.1.8 / Windows XP Is there a way to make the user agent default to IE6.0 WinXP? I get a few less errors with this setting, but I have to manually make the change each tome from the ...

  1. Ho to change User Agent default?

    Using SeaMonkey 1.1.8 / Windows XP

    Is there a way to make the user agent default to IE6.0 WinXP?
    I get a few less errors with this setting, but I have to manually make
    the change each tome from the existing default of Real UA

    Even with the UA set to IE6, I still have to go to go to IE in order to view
    graphics which don't work with SM. Flash and Java are set up correctly.

    Thanx.

  2. Re: Ho to change User Agent default?

    Mozilla wrote:
    > Using SeaMonkey 1.1.8 / Windows XP
    >
    > Is there a way to make the user agent default to IE6.0 WinXP?
    > I get a few less errors with this setting, but I have to manually make
    > the change each tome from the existing default of Real UA
    >
    > Even with the UA set to IE6, I still have to go to go to IE in order to view
    > graphics which don't work with SM. Flash and Java are set up correctly.
    >
    > Thanx.

    didn't you ask that guestion yesterday? If you look there,
    you'll see some answers.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: Ho to change User Agent default?

    Mozilla wrote:
    > Using SeaMonkey 1.1.8 / Windows XP
    >
    > Is there a way to make the user agent default to IE6.0 WinXP?
    > I get a few less errors with this setting, but I have to manually make
    > the change each tome from the existing default of Real UA
    >
    > Even with the UA set to IE6, I still have to go to go to IE in order to view
    > graphics which don't work with SM. Flash and Java are set up correctly.
    >
    > Thanx.

    Even if you succeed to find out how to set your SeaMonkey user-agent to
    that of IE6 (which I'm not sure how to do), it doesn't mean its
    rendering engine will interpret all webpages' codes the way IE6 does.
    There are many differences in how Gecko and MSIE interpret the same
    code, or to say it the other way round, in how a page must be written in
    order to look the same in MSIE and in Gecko. Now if you set your UA
    string to mimic IE too closely, many sites will tailor the code, which
    they present you, according to the MSIE engine's idiosyncrasies, with
    the result that it will look "wrong" in a Gecko browser like SeaMonkey.

    A less drastic measure, with possibly better chances of success, would
    be to "doctor" your UA string so that sites with "broken" browser
    sniffing will mistake you as Firefox. Here's one possible way to do it:

    1. Type about:config in the URL bar, then hit Enter.
    2. Type usera into the Filter box.
    3. Click right on any entry, then New -> String
    4. As "Name", enter "general.useragent.extra.firesomething" (without the
    quotes).
    5. As "Value", enter "NOT Firefox/2.0.0.12" (also without the quotes)
    6. If your "problematic" page is already displayed in a tab, refresh it.
    7. If it now works, report the site (if it isn't yet done) by opening a
    "New" bug report at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ for the Product "Tech
    Evangelism" and a Component corresponding to the page's language.
    8. (Optional) You may also want to send the site's webmaster a link to
    http://geckoisgecko.org/

    The above ought to make your browser be recognised as Firefox for access
    purposes, but maybe not for statistical purposes (when calculating the
    market shares of various versions of various browsers by tabulating how
    often their user-agent strings were encountered).

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Good day to let down old friends who need help.

  4. Re: How to change User Agent default?

    Thanks, Tony.
    I used to get an error screen from Citibank online banking and now I can go
    to the
    log-in screen without a problem. Apparently it doesn't recognise Seamonkey
    but passes
    Firefox just fine.

    But I'm still having trouble with graphics, such as thumbnails on eBay which
    won't expand.
    This, actually, hadn't been a problem with SM 1.1.7, and has never been a
    problem
    with IE. For example, go to eBay, item #150227525433(paste into search
    window) and
    try and open the thumbnails on the bottom.

    I find many other URLs don't work well with Seamonkey.
    All are fine with IE8 (using a beta version) and were no problem with my
    previous IE6.
    A few examples:
    http://www.theonion.com/content/atlas/
    http://www.reuters.com/news/pictures...24%20Hours#a=1
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0140...03#reader-link

    Thanks again,
    Best,
    MS

    ============================

    "Tony Mechelynck" wrote in message
    > Mozilla wrote:
    >> Using SeaMonkey 1.1.8 / Windows XP
    >>
    >> Is there a way to make the user agent default to IE6.0 WinXP?
    >> I get a few less errors with this setting, but I have to manually make
    >> the change each tome from the existing default of Real UA
    >>
    >> Even with the UA set to IE6, I still have to go to go to IE in order to
    >> view
    >> graphics which don't work with SM. Flash and Java are set up correctly.
    >>
    >> Thanx.
    >>

    > Even if you succeed to find out how to set your SeaMonkey user-agent to
    > that of IE6 (which I'm not sure how to do), it doesn't mean its
    > rendering engine will interpret all webpages' codes the way IE6 does.

    > 1. Type about:config in the URL bar, then hit Enter....

    > The above ought to make your browser be recognised as Firefox for access
    > purposes, but maybe not for statistical purposes (when calculating the
    > market shares of various versions of various browsers by tabulating how
    > often their user-agent strings were encountered).
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

  5. Re: How to change User Agent default?

    Mozilla wrote:
    > I find many other URLs don't work well with Seamonkey.
    > All are fine with IE8 (using a beta version) and were no problem with my
    > previous IE6.
    > A few examples:
    > http://www.theonion.com/content/atlas/

    That worked great for me with no problems. Make sure
    javascript is turned on and Change Images is checked.

    > http://www.reuters.com/news/pictures...24%20Hours#a=1

    had no problems here either. Just have javascript turned on.

    > http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0140...03#reader-link

    Message from Site: The Amazon Online Reader works best with
    Internet Explorer 6.0+, Firefox 1.5+, or Safari 2.0.

    Anyways, it worked just fine for me.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  6. Re: How to change User Agent default?

    > Mozilla wrote:
    >> I find many other URLs don't work well with Seamonkey.
    >> All are fine with IE8 (using a beta version) and were no problem with my
    >> previous IE6.
    >> A few examples:
    >> http://www.theonion.com/content/atlas/

    > That worked great for me with no problems. Make sure javascript is turned
    > on and Change Images is checked.
    >
    >> http://www.reuters.com/news/pictures...24%20Hours#a=1

    > had no problems here either. Just have javascript turned on.
    >
    >> http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0140...03#reader-link

    > Message from Site: The Amazon Online Reader works best with Internet
    > Explorer 6.0+, Firefox 1.5+, or Safari 2.0.
    >
    > Anyways, it worked just fine for me.

    ===============

    I looked around for that "Change Images" option.
    Found it in preferences, advanced, scripts.
    You nailed it, Peter. That prompt was unchecked.
    I checked it and images now appear as they should.

    Many thanks.
    MS

  7. Re: How to change User Agent default?

    Update...

    I wasn't aware that the "change images" button was unchecked because it had
    always been
    checked before, for all the years I've been using SeaMonkey. I never had to
    think about it.

    The solution worked but now, every time I close and reopen Seamonkey, that
    option is unchecked again.

    I also have to click "set default browser" all the time. It keeps tripping
    off.

    This never happened before with earlier versions (I'm using V1.1.8). Is that
    a problem with the new version
    - or could it be somehow related to having "upgraded" IE6 to IE8 beta?

    Thanks
    MS

  8. Re: How to change User Agent default?

    Mozilla wrote:
    > Update...
    >
    > I wasn't aware that the "change images" button was unchecked because it had
    > always been
    > checked before, for all the years I've been using SeaMonkey. I never had to
    > think about it.
    >
    > The solution worked but now, every time I close and reopen Seamonkey, that
    > option is unchecked again.
    >
    > I also have to click "set default browser" all the time. It keeps tripping
    > off.
    >
    > This never happened before with earlier versions (I'm using V1.1.8). Is that
    > a problem with the new version
    > - or could it be somehow related to having "upgraded" IE6 to IE8 beta?
    >
    > Thanks
    > MS

    it could be the upgrade.

    First, make sure that nothing in your SM profile is set to
    read only.

    Also, open the control panel, then click on the Internet
    Options icon, then the Programs tab. Down near the bottom
    is something about making IE the default. Make sure its not
    checked. If SM still doesn't set to default, then open that
    default setting, make IE the default, open IE, close it,
    then open SM, set it as default, close it then reopen it
    again. Does it work now?

    Also, try a test profile, and see if the problem continues
    in that.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  9. Re: How to change User Agent default?

    Update 2

    I deleted IE 8, went back to 6.
    Changed security options to medium to allow Java commnads.

    SEAMONKEY 1.1.8 STILL REFUSES TO SAVE THE CHANGE IMAGES OPTION.

    EVERY TIME CLOSE THEN REOPEN SM THAT OPTION IS SHUT OFF - THE BOX IS
    UNCHECKED.
    THIS NEVER HAPPENED IN 1.1.7 OR ANY PREVIOUS VERSIONS

    DOES ANYONE HAVE A FIX?

    MS

    =====================

    "Mozilla" wrote in message

    Update...
    I wasn't aware that the "change images" button was unchecked because it
    had always been
    checked before, for all the years I've been using SeaMonkey. I never had
    to think about it.
    The solution worked but now, every time I close and reopen Seamonkey, that
    option is unchecked again.
    I also have to click "set default browser" all the time. It keeps tripping
    off.
    This never happened before with earlier versions (I'm using V1.1.8). Is
    that a problem with the new version
    - or could it be somehow related to having "upgraded" IE6 to IE8 beta?
    Thanks
    MS

  10. Re: How to change User Agent default?

    Mozilla wrote:
    > Update 2
    >
    > I deleted IE 8, went back to 6.
    > Changed security options to medium to allow Java commnads.
    >
    > SEAMONKEY 1.1.8 STILL REFUSES TO SAVE THE CHANGE IMAGES OPTION.
    >
    > EVERY TIME CLOSE THEN REOPEN SM THAT OPTION IS SHUT OFF - THE BOX IS
    > UNCHECKED.
    > THIS NEVER HAPPENED IN 1.1.7 OR ANY PREVIOUS VERSIONS
    >
    > DOES ANYONE HAVE A FIX?
    >
    > MS
    >
    > =====================
    >
    > "Mozilla" wrote in message
    >
    > Update...
    > I wasn't aware that the "change images" button was unchecked because it
    > had always been
    > checked before, for all the years I've been using SeaMonkey. I never had
    > to think about it.
    > The solution worked but now, every time I close and reopen Seamonkey, that
    > option is unchecked again.
    > I also have to click "set default browser" all the time. It keeps tripping
    > off.
    > This never happened before with earlier versions (I'm using V1.1.8). Is
    > that a problem with the new version
    > - or could it be somehow related to having "upgraded" IE6 to IE8 beta?
    > Thanks
    > MS

    Create a new profile. Test in that to see if the pref sticks, it should.

    You can then either continue to troubleshoot you old profile, knowing
    that the problem is in the profile folder, or you can transfer your
    needed data to the new profile.

    The latter course is usually more time efficient.

    Lee

+ Reply to Thread