Organizing Bookmarks - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Organizing Bookmarks - Mozilla ; Suppose I have 1000 bookmarks and they are not organized into folders. I'd like to organize all of the ones that have weather in their title. Maybe there are 100. If I create a BM folder called Weather, and find ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

  1. Organizing Bookmarks

    Suppose I have 1000 bookmarks and they are not organized into folders. I'd
    like to organize all of the ones that have weather in their title. Maybe
    there are 100. If I create a BM folder called Weather, and find all of the
    ones with weather, I can copy and paste them into Weather. However, I now
    have 200 weather BMs. Without finding all the weather BMs outside the
    Weather folder and deleting them individually, is there another way to do this?

  2. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    W. Watson wrote:
    > Suppose I have 1000 bookmarks and they are not organized into folders.
    > I'd like to organize all of the ones that have weather in their title.
    > Maybe there are 100. If I create a BM folder called Weather, and find
    > all of the ones with weather, I can copy and paste them into Weather.
    > However, I now have 200 weather BMs. Without finding all the weather
    > BMs outside the Weather folder and deleting them individually, is
    > there another way to do this?

    You might look at this program AM-Deadlink at
    http://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm. It is freeware and has worked good
    for me when working with bookmarks.

    JAS

    You either teach people to treat you with dignity and respect, or you don't. This means you are partly responsible for the mistreatment that you get at the hands of someone else.

  3. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    W. Watson <"W. Watson" > wrote:

    > Suppose I have 1000 bookmarks and they are not organized into folders. I'd
    > like to organize all of the ones that have weather in their title. Maybe
    > there are 100. If I create a BM folder called Weather, and find all of the
    > ones with weather, I can copy and paste them into Weather. However, I now
    > have 200 weather BMs. Without finding all the weather BMs outside the
    > Weather folder and deleting them individually, is there another way to do this?

    I don't understand this. Using the bookmark manager you can just
    move links into folders without creating copies. Heck, you don't
    even need to use the bookmark manager - you can move them into
    folders just using the bookmark dropdown.

    (I'll refrain from asking why somebody needs 100 weather sites...)

    -sw

  4. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    Sqwertz wrote:
    > W. Watson <"W. Watson" > wrote:
    >
    >> Suppose I have 1000 bookmarks and they are not organized into folders. I'd
    >> like to organize all of the ones that have weather in their title. Maybe
    >> there are 100. If I create a BM folder called Weather, and find all of the
    >> ones with weather, I can copy and paste them into Weather. However, I now
    >> have 200 weather BMs. Without finding all the weather BMs outside the
    >> Weather folder and deleting them individually, is there another way to do this?

    > I don't understand this. Using the bookmark manager you can just
    > move links into folders without creating copies. Heck, you don't
    > even need to use the bookmark manager - you can move them into
    > folders just using the bookmark dropdown.
    >
    > (I'll refrain from asking why somebody needs 100 weather sites...)
    >
    > -sw

    lets see if I get it. He's got thousands of bookmarks all
    over the place. He's got one bookmark folder called
    Weather, and within that folder, he's got a few bookmarks
    for weather sites. He wants to search ALL of his bookmarks
    with the title of weather, and he doesn't want that search
    to include the folder called weather.

    The only way I can figure it out is to search them all,
    including the weather folder. Then click on the Weather
    Folder, right click and select "Open in New Window". Now,
    click on the Name column to sort them, find all the
    duplicates and delete them.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  5. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    Sqwertz wrote:
    > W. Watson <"W. Watson" > wrote:
    >
    >> Suppose I have 1000 bookmarks and they are not organized into folders. I'd
    >> like to organize all of the ones that have weather in their title. Maybe
    >> there are 100. If I create a BM folder called Weather, and find all of the
    >> ones with weather, I can copy and paste them into Weather. However, I now
    >> have 200 weather BMs. Without finding all the weather BMs outside the
    >> Weather folder and deleting them individually, is there another way to do this?

    > I don't understand this. Using the bookmark manager you can just
    > move links into folders without creating copies. Heck, you don't
    > even need to use the bookmark manager - you can move them into
    > folders just using the bookmark dropdown.
    >
    > (I'll refrain from asking why somebody needs 100 weather sites...)
    >
    > -sw

    Frankly, I don't enjoy moving 100 bookmarks scattered among 1000 or more to
    one folder. I'll refrain from responding about 100 weather sites.

  6. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Sqwertz wrote:
    >> W. Watson <"W. Watson" > wrote:
    >>
    >>> Suppose I have 1000 bookmarks and they are not organized into
    >>> folders. I'd like to organize all of the ones that have weather in
    >>> their title. Maybe there are 100. If I create a BM folder called
    >>> Weather, and find all of the ones with weather, I can copy and paste
    >>> them into Weather. However, I now have 200 weather BMs. Without
    >>> finding all the weather BMs outside the Weather folder and deleting
    >>> them individually, is there another way to do this?

    >> I don't understand this. Using the bookmark manager you can just
    >> move links into folders without creating copies. Heck, you don't
    >> even need to use the bookmark manager - you can move them into
    >> folders just using the bookmark dropdown.
    >>
    >> (I'll refrain from asking why somebody needs 100 weather sites...)
    >>
    >> -sw

    > lets see if I get it. He's got thousands of bookmarks all over the
    > place. He's got one bookmark folder called Weather, and within that
    > folder, he's got a few bookmarks for weather sites. He wants to search
    > ALL of his bookmarks with the title of weather, and he doesn't want that
    > search to include the folder called weather.
    >
    > The only way I can figure it out is to search them all, including the
    > weather folder. Then click on the Weather Folder, right click and
    > select "Open in New Window". Now, click on the Name column to sort
    > them, find all the duplicates and delete them.

    I have zero BMs in the Weather folder. I want 100 placed into it. It's very
    simple to do that with mgr. Search for weather. It displays 100. Select them
    all. Copy them into the folder. However, one can only copy all 100. There is
    no cut and paste. Once you have copied 100, you have 1110 BMs. Now getting
    rid of the original 100 scattered all over is not easily done.

    My wild guess at how to do this might be to create a new set of BMs somehow,
    and copy the 100 over there. By set I mean a collection completely separated
    from the 1000.

  7. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    W. Watson wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Sqwertz wrote:

    >>> I don't understand this. Using the bookmark manager you can just
    >>> move links into folders without creating copies. Heck, you don't
    >>> even need to use the bookmark manager - you can move them into
    >>> folders just using the bookmark dropdown.
    >>>
    >>> (I'll refrain from asking why somebody needs 100 weather sites...)
    >>>
    >>> -sw

    >> lets see if I get it. He's got thousands of bookmarks all over the
    >> place. He's got one bookmark folder called Weather, and within that
    >> folder, he's got a few bookmarks for weather sites. He wants to search
    >> ALL of his bookmarks with the title of weather, and he doesn't want that
    >> search to include the folder called weather.
    >>
    >> The only way I can figure it out is to search them all, including the
    >> weather folder. Then click on the Weather Folder, right click and
    >> select "Open in New Window". Now, click on the Name column to sort
    >> them, find all the duplicates and delete them.
    >>

    > I have zero BMs in the Weather folder. I want 100 placed into it. It's very
    > simple to do that with mgr. Search for weather. It displays 100. Select them
    > all. Copy them into the folder. However, one can only copy all 100. There is
    > no cut and paste. Once you have copied 100, you have 1110 BMs. Now getting
    > rid of the original 100 scattered all over is not easily done.
    >
    > My wild guess at how to do this might be to create a new set of BMs somehow,
    > and copy the 100 over there. By set I mean a collection completely separated
    > from the 1000.

    OK, I got you now. Interesting, all you can do is copy and
    paste. You copied the ones within the search window, then
    you pasted them into the weather folder. Then why don't you
    just delete the ones within that search window.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  8. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    W. Watson <"W. Watson" > wrote:

    > Sqwertz wrote:
    >> W. Watson <"W. Watson" > wrote:
    >>
    >>> Suppose I have 1000 bookmarks and they are not organized into folders. I'd
    >>> like to organize all of the ones that have weather in their title. Maybe
    >>> there are 100. If I create a BM folder called Weather, and find all of the
    >>> ones with weather, I can copy and paste them into Weather. However, I now
    >>> have 200 weather BMs. Without finding all the weather BMs outside the
    >>> Weather folder and deleting them individually, is there another way to do this?

    >> I don't understand this. Using the bookmark manager you can just
    >> move links into folders without creating copies. Heck, you don't
    >> even need to use the bookmark manager - you can move them into
    >> folders just using the bookmark dropdown.
    >>
    >> (I'll refrain from asking why somebody needs 100 weather sites...)
    >>
    >> -sw

    > Frankly, I don't enjoy moving 100 bookmarks scattered among 1000 or more to
    > one folder. I'll refrain from responding about 100 weather sites.

    I didn't understand that you were using the search function.
    Looking at that, I see there is no way to 'cut' or move those
    bookmarks into filders from the search results screen.

    I thought you were doing this manually. The way I'd do this is with
    grep (unix utility) and my favorite text editor, directly
    manipulating the bookmarks.html file.

    -sw

  9. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    On 3/13/2008 11:43 AM, W. Watson wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Sqwertz wrote:

    >>> I don't understand this. Using the bookmark manager you can just
    >>> move links into folders without creating copies. Heck, you don't
    >>> even need to use the bookmark manager - you can move them into
    >>> folders just using the bookmark dropdown.
    >>>
    >>> (I'll refrain from asking why somebody needs 100 weather sites...)
    >>>
    >>> -sw

    >> lets see if I get it. He's got thousands of bookmarks all over the
    >> place. He's got one bookmark folder called Weather, and within that
    >> folder, he's got a few bookmarks for weather sites. He wants to search
    >> ALL of his bookmarks with the title of weather, and he doesn't want that
    >> search to include the folder called weather.
    >>
    >> The only way I can figure it out is to search them all, including the
    >> weather folder. Then click on the Weather Folder, right click and
    >> select "Open in New Window". Now, click on the Name column to sort
    >> them, find all the duplicates and delete them.
    >>

    > I have zero BMs in the Weather folder. I want 100 placed into it. It's very
    > simple to do that with mgr. Search for weather. It displays 100. Select them
    > all. Copy them into the folder. However, one can only copy all 100. There is
    > no cut and paste. Once you have copied 100, you have 1110 BMs. Now getting
    > rid of the original 100 scattered all over is not easily done.
    >
    > My wild guess at how to do this might be to create a new set of BMs somehow,
    > and copy the 100 over there. By set I mean a collection completely separated
    > from the 1000.

    While viewing your bookmarks in Bookmark Manager, drag and drop one
    weather-related bookmark on top of the Weather folder. You will then be
    able to open the folder. Finally, drag and drop all the other
    weather-related bookmarks into the folder.

    In the current end-user version of SeaMonkey (and likely also Firefox),
    capabilities to "manage" bookmarks in the search window for the Bookmark
    Manager are generally poor.

    However, you can search for "weather" in Bookmark Manager. Select one
    or more of the results. (To select more than one in Windows, select the
    first and then hold the Alt key while selecting the others. To select a
    group of adjacent bookmarks, select the first and then hold the Ctrl key
    while selecting the last.) Right-click and select Move Bookmark(s) in
    the pull-down context menu. You will get a window with a tree structure
    of folders. Select the "Weather" folder and then the OK button to move
    the selected bookmarks to that folder. You can also do such a move
    directly from the Bookmark Manager window without doing a search.

    --
    David E. Ross

    Go to Mozdev at for quick access to
    Mozilla-related applications. You can access Mozdev much

  10. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    On 3/13/2008 3:12 PM, captjlddavis wrote:
    > On 3/13/2008 13:00, Sqwertz wrote:
    >> W. Watson <"W. Watson" > wrote:

    >>> Frankly, I don't enjoy moving 100 bookmarks scattered among 1000 or more to
    >>> one folder. I'll refrain from responding about 100 weather sites.

    >> I didn't understand that you were using the search function.
    >> Looking at that, I see there is no way to 'cut' or move those
    >> bookmarks into filders from the search results screen.
    >>
    >> I thought you were doing this manually. The way I'd do this is with
    >> grep (unix utility) and my favorite text editor, directly
    >> manipulating the bookmarks.html file.
    >>
    >> -sw

    > Am I missing something.......
    > In:
    > SM 1.1.6 and SM 1.1.8 ( I don't have 1.1.7)
    > 1. I can in Bookmarks manager - search.
    > 2. In results I can select with shift+enter a contigious group or
    > ctrl+enter select random group.
    > 3. Right click and select"Move" or from top menu - edit - Move
    > 4 . Either move to an existing folder or create a New folder....
    >
    > Note - it does not weed out duplicate entries..
    >
    > What am I missing ?
    >
    > regards:captjlddavis

    Having done a search in which you see duplicates, move the extras to a
    new folder called "Dump". When you end the search and return to the
    complete list of bookmarks in Bookmark Manager, you can then delete the
    "Dump" folder.

    --
    David E. Ross

    Go to Mozdev at for quick access to
    Mozilla-related applications. You can access Mozdev much

  11. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > W. Watson wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> lets see if I get it. He's got thousands of bookmarks all over the
    >>> place. He's got one bookmark folder called Weather, and within that
    >>> folder, he's got a few bookmarks for weather sites. He wants to
    >>> search ALL of his bookmarks with the title of weather, and he doesn't
    >>> want that search to include the folder called weather.
    >>>
    >>> The only way I can figure it out is to search them all, including the
    >>> weather folder. Then click on the Weather Folder, right click and
    >>> select "Open in New Window". Now, click on the Name column to sort
    >>> them, find all the duplicates and delete them.
    >>>

    >> I have zero BMs in the Weather folder. I want 100 placed into it. It's
    >> very simple to do that with mgr. Search for weather. It displays 100.
    >> Select them all. Copy them into the folder. However, one can only copy
    >> all 100. There is no cut and paste. Once you have copied 100, you have
    >> 1110 BMs. Now getting rid of the original 100 scattered all over is
    >> not easily done.
    >>
    >> My wild guess at how to do this might be to create a new set of BMs
    >> somehow, and copy the 100 over there. By set I mean a collection
    >> completely separated from the 1000.

    > OK, I got you now. Interesting, all you can do is copy and paste. You
    > copied the ones within the search window, then you pasted them into the
    > weather folder. Then why don't you just delete the ones within that
    > search window.

    Where are they? They are scattered all throughout the 1000. If I can find
    each of them, then I would expend a lot of effort, which is exactly what I'm
    trying to avoid.

  12. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    David E. Ross wrote:
    > On 3/13/2008 11:43 AM, W. Watson wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> lets see if I get it. He's got thousands of bookmarks all over the
    >>> place. He's got one bookmark folder called Weather, and within that
    >>> folder, he's got a few bookmarks for weather sites. He wants to search
    >>> ALL of his bookmarks with the title of weather, and he doesn't want that
    >>> search to include the folder called weather.
    >>>
    >>> The only way I can figure it out is to search them all, including the
    >>> weather folder. Then click on the Weather Folder, right click and
    >>> select "Open in New Window". Now, click on the Name column to sort
    >>> them, find all the duplicates and delete them.
    >>>

    >> I have zero BMs in the Weather folder. I want 100 placed into it. It's very
    >> simple to do that with mgr. Search for weather. It displays 100. Select them
    >> all. Copy them into the folder. However, one can only copy all 100. There is
    >> no cut and paste. Once you have copied 100, you have 1110 BMs. Now getting
    >> rid of the original 100 scattered all over is not easily done.
    >>
    >> My wild guess at how to do this might be to create a new set of BMs somehow,
    >> and copy the 100 over there. By set I mean a collection completely separated
    >> from the 1000.

    > While viewing your bookmarks in Bookmark Manager, drag and drop one
    > weather-related bookmark on top of the Weather folder. You will then be
    > able to open the folder. Finally, drag and drop all the other
    > weather-related bookmarks into the folder.

    And what do I do with the remaining 100 duplicates? See my response to hippo.

    > In the current end-user version of SeaMonkey (and likely also Firefox),
    > capabilities to "manage" bookmarks in the search window for the Bookmark
    > Manager are generally poor.
    >
    > However, you can search for "weather" in Bookmark Manager. Select one
    > or more of the results. (To select more than one in Windows, select the
    > first and then hold the Alt key while selecting the others. To select a
    > group of adjacent bookmarks, select the first and then hold the Ctrl key
    > while selecting the last.)

    Yes, this is all true.
    Right-click and select Move Bookmark(s) in
    > the pull-down context menu. You will get a window with a tree structure
    > of folders. Select the "Weather" folder and then the OK button to move
    > the selected bookmarks to that folder. You can also do such a move
    > directly from the Bookmark Manager window without doing a search.

    Move? I don't think SM does a move. A copy but no move. A copy leaves 100
    weather BMS scattered through 1000 bms. See the hippo response.

  13. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > W. Watson wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> lets see if I get it. He's got thousands of bookmarks all over the
    >>> place. He's got one bookmark folder called Weather, and within that
    >>> folder, he's got a few bookmarks for weather sites. He wants to search
    >>> ALL of his bookmarks with the title of weather, and he doesn't want that
    >>> search to include the folder called weather.
    >>>
    >>> The only way I can figure it out is to search them all, including the
    >>> weather folder. Then click on the Weather Folder, right click and
    >>> select "Open in New Window". Now, click on the Name column to sort
    >>> them, find all the duplicates and delete them.
    >>>

    >> I have zero BMs in the Weather folder. I want 100 placed into it. It's very
    >> simple to do that with mgr. Search for weather. It displays 100. Select them
    >> all. Copy them into the folder. However, one can only copy all 100. There is
    >> no cut and paste. Once you have copied 100, you have 1110 BMs. Now getting
    >> rid of the original 100 scattered all over is not easily done.
    >>
    >> My wild guess at how to do this might be to create a new set of BMs somehow,
    >> and copy the 100 over there. By set I mean a collection completely separated
    >> from the 1000.

    > OK, I got you now. Interesting, all you can do is copy and
    > paste. You copied the ones within the search window, then
    > you pasted them into the weather folder. Then why don't you
    > just delete the ones within that search window.

    after I close SM and reopened it, and now it works. I
    search the folders, from the search window, I highlight all
    of them, then drag them to the folder you want in the
    bookmark manager window. No problems.

    So, if yours isn't working that way, then there's something
    wrong, and I don't know what.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  14. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > after I close SM and reopened it, and now it works. I
    > search the folders, from the search window, I highlight all
    > of them, then drag them to the folder you want in the
    > bookmark manager window. No problems.

    when I say drag, I'm talking about moving them. I don't
    need to copy and paste them.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  15. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    On 3/13/2008 13:00, Sqwertz wrote:
    > W. Watson <"W. Watson" > wrote:
    >
    >> Sqwertz wrote:

    >>> I don't understand this. Using the bookmark manager you can just
    >>> move links into folders without creating copies. Heck, you don't
    >>> even need to use the bookmark manager - you can move them into
    >>> folders just using the bookmark dropdown.
    >>>
    >>> (I'll refrain from asking why somebody needs 100 weather sites...)
    >>>
    >>> -sw

    >> Frankly, I don't enjoy moving 100 bookmarks scattered among 1000 or more to
    >> one folder. I'll refrain from responding about 100 weather sites.

    > I didn't understand that you were using the search function.
    > Looking at that, I see there is no way to 'cut' or move those
    > bookmarks into filders from the search results screen.
    >
    > I thought you were doing this manually. The way I'd do this is with
    > grep (unix utility) and my favorite text editor, directly
    > manipulating the bookmarks.html file.
    >
    > -sw

    Am I missing something.......
    In:
    SM 1.1.6 and SM 1.1.8 ( I don't have 1.1.7)
    1. I can in Bookmarks manager - search.
    2. In results I can select with shift+enter a contigious group or
    ctrl+enter select random group.
    3. Right click and select"Move" or from top menu - edit - Move
    4 . Either move to an existing folder or create a New folder....

    Note - it does not weed out duplicate entries..

    What am I missing ?

    regards:captjlddavis

  16. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    W. Watson wrote:

    > Move? I don't think SM does a move. A copy but no move. A copy leaves 100
    > weather BMS scattered through 1000 bms. See the hippo response.

    after you've /copied/ them to where you want them, then
    delete the ones in the seach window.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  17. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> W. Watson wrote:

    >>> I have zero BMs in the Weather folder. I want 100 placed into it.
    >>> It's very simple to do that with mgr. Search for weather. It displays
    >>> 100. Select them all. Copy them into the folder. However, one can
    >>> only copy all 100. There is no cut and paste. Once you have copied
    >>> 100, you have 1110 BMs. Now getting rid of the original 100 scattered
    >>> all over is not easily done.
    >>>
    >>> My wild guess at how to do this might be to create a new set of BMs
    >>> somehow, and copy the 100 over there. By set I mean a collection
    >>> completely separated from the 1000.

    >> OK, I got you now. Interesting, all you can do is copy and paste.
    >> You copied the ones within the search window, then you pasted them
    >> into the weather folder. Then why don't you just delete the ones
    >> within that search window.
    >>

    > after I close SM and reopened it, and now it works. I search the
    > folders, from the search window, I highlight all of them, then drag them
    > to the folder you want in the bookmark manager window. No problems.
    >
    > So, if yours isn't working that way, then there's something wrong, and I
    > don't know what.

    I've noticed something like that behavior with a delete. I'll have say two
    identical BMS found via a search, and delete one. It doesn't go away. It's
    possible that closing all windows will cause the deleted one to go away.
    It's usually not easy for me to test, since I either have quite a few
    windows open or a lot of tabs in use. Next time I restart my PC, I'll try
    it. Of course, deleting an entry not from a searched list works immediately.

  18. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> after I close SM and reopened it, and now it works. I search the
    >> folders, from the search window, I highlight all of them, then drag
    >> them to the folder you want in the bookmark manager window. No problems.

    > when I say drag, I'm talking about moving them. I don't need to copy
    > and paste them.

    I think that even then the undragged ghosts stay behind. However, I'll check
    it out.

  19. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    W. Watson wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> after I close SM and reopened it, and now it works. I search the
    >>> folders, from the search window, I highlight all of them, then drag
    >>> them to the folder you want in the bookmark manager window. No problems.

    >> when I say drag, I'm talking about moving them. I don't need to copy
    >> and paste them.
    >>

    > I think that even then the undragged ghosts stay behind. However, I'll
    > check it out.

    Ah, ha. I think this is what you are doing. Bring up Mgr. Enter weather into
    the search area. Select all 100 items by left-click on the first, and
    Shift+left-click on the last. NOW select the red X in the upper right
    corner. All BMs can be seen, and those selected are highlighted. Now go to
    any of the highlighted ones and drag them to the folder. That works. Bravo.

    I tried this by creating a folder, Stormy, with dummy BM entries called
    Junk1, ...5. I then searched for Junk. I highlighted 2 and 4, then hit the
    red X. Now dragging them to weather gets 2 and 4 there, but 1,3, and 5 are
    left behind.

  20. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    Sqwertz wrote:
    > W. Watson <"W. Watson" > wrote:
    >
    >> Sqwertz wrote:

    >>> I don't understand this. Using the bookmark manager you can just
    >>> move links into folders without creating copies. Heck, you don't
    >>> even need to use the bookmark manager - you can move them into
    >>> folders just using the bookmark dropdown.
    >>>
    >>> (I'll refrain from asking why somebody needs 100 weather sites...)
    >>>
    >>> -sw

    >> Frankly, I don't enjoy moving 100 bookmarks scattered among 1000 or more to
    >> one folder. I'll refrain from responding about 100 weather sites.

    > I didn't understand that you were using the search function.
    > Looking at that, I see there is no way to 'cut' or move those
    > bookmarks into filders from the search results screen.
    >
    > I thought you were doing this manually. The way I'd do this is with
    > grep (unix utility) and my favorite text editor, directly
    > manipulating the bookmarks.html file.
    >
    > -sw

    Sorry. Win XP here. I hadn't considered Linux.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast