Organizing Bookmarks - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Organizing Bookmarks - Mozilla ; captjlddavis wrote: > On 3/13/2008 13:00, Sqwertz wrote: >> W. Watson > wrote: >> >>> Sqwertz wrote: >>>> W. Watson > wrote: >>>> >>>>> Suppose I have 1000 bookmarks and they are not organized into folders. I'd >>>>> like to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 33 of 33

  1. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    captjlddavis wrote:
    > On 3/13/2008 13:00, Sqwertz wrote:
    >> W. Watson <"W. Watson" > wrote:

    >>> Frankly, I don't enjoy moving 100 bookmarks scattered among 1000 or more to
    >>> one folder. I'll refrain from responding about 100 weather sites.

    >> I didn't understand that you were using the search function.
    >> Looking at that, I see there is no way to 'cut' or move those
    >> bookmarks into filders from the search results screen.
    >>
    >> I thought you were doing this manually. The way I'd do this is with
    >> grep (unix utility) and my favorite text editor, directly
    >> manipulating the bookmarks.html file.
    >>
    >> -sw

    > Am I missing something.......
    > In:
    > SM 1.1.6 and SM 1.1.8 ( I don't have 1.1.7)
    > 1. I can in Bookmarks manager - search.
    > 2. In results I can select with shift+enter a contigious group or
    > ctrl+enter select random group.
    > 3. Right click and select"Move" or from top menu - edit - Move
    > 4 . Either move to an existing folder or create a New folder....
    >
    > Note - it does not weed out duplicate entries..
    >
    > What am I missing ?
    >
    > regards:captjlddavis

    Note I'm using Win XP. SM 1.1.7.
    There is no Edit->Move or Move from a right-click.
    Note there is no possibility of a right-click unless you release the search
    by pressing the red X in the upper right. Now you can right click on any of
    the highlighted entries.

    Maybe there are differences in implementation between version of SM in Win
    and those of Linux.

  2. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    W. Watson wrote:

    >>> when I say drag, I'm talking about moving them. I don't need to copy
    >>> and paste them.
    >>>

    >> I think that even then the undragged ghosts stay behind. However, I'll
    >> check it out.

    > Ah, ha. I think this is what you are doing. Bring up Mgr. Enter weather
    > into the search area. Select all 100 items by left-click on the first,
    > and Shift+left-click on the last. NOW select the red X in the upper
    > right corner. All BMs can be seen, and those selected are highlighted.
    > Now go to any of the highlighted ones and drag them to the folder. That
    > works. Bravo.
    >
    > I tried this by creating a folder, Stormy, with dummy BM entries called
    > Junk1, ...5. I then searched for Junk. I highlighted 2 and 4, then hit
    > the red X. Now dragging them to weather gets 2 and 4 there, but 1,3, and
    > 5 are left behind.

    Yikes. This is baffling. I tried it by using a weather search, and selected
    all "100". I then, after the red x release, dragged them to the Weather
    folder. Some made it and some didn't. Now in doing a search it's not
    possible to recognize those in the Weather folder, and those weather BMs not
    in it.

    I suspect there's some underlying problem here. For example, I deleted a
    couple of dups, but yet they show up in the search. It may be as mentioned
    above that one needs to close down all SM windows to see what really happened.

    I think it's time to give up on this approach.

  3. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    On 3/13/2008 19:19, W. Watson wrote:
    > captjlddavis wrote:

    >>> I didn't understand that you were using the search function.
    >>> Looking at that, I see there is no way to 'cut' or move those
    >>> bookmarks into filders from the search results screen.
    >>>
    >>> I thought you were doing this manually. The way I'd do this is with
    >>> grep (unix utility) and my favorite text editor, directly
    >>> manipulating the bookmarks.html file.
    >>>
    >>> -sw

    >> Am I missing something.......
    >> In:
    >> SM 1.1.6 and SM 1.1.8 ( I don't have 1.1.7)
    >> 1. I can in Bookmarks manager - search.
    >> 2. In results I can select with shift+enter a contigious group or
    >> ctrl+enter select random group.
    >> 3. Right click and select"Move" or from top menu - edit - Move
    >> 4 . Either move to an existing folder or create a New folder....
    >>
    >> Note - it does not weed out duplicate entries..
    >>
    >> What am I missing ?
    >>
    >> regards:captjlddavis

    > Note I'm using Win XP. SM 1.1.7.
    > There is no Edit->Move or Move from a right-click.
    > Note there is no possibility of a right-click unless you release the search
    > by pressing the red X in the upper right. Now you can right click on any of
    > the highlighted entries.
    >
    > Maybe there are differences in implementation between version of SM in Win
    > and those of Linux.

    In both SM 1.1.6 and 1.1.8.....
    There is no red X in the corner of the search UNLESS you have xsidebar
    installed.....(at least on MY installation:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.9)
    Gecko/20071030 SeaMonkey/1.1.6 ID:2007103013
    That is for SM 1.1.6 -
    also the selected search results are not highlighted UNLESS all are
    expanded.

    So maybe there is something with your installation - maybe an extensions
    or something.

    I tested both with and withou xsidebar.

    regards:captjlddavis

  4. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    <
    > Yikes. This is baffling. I tried it by using a weather search, and selected
    > all "100". I then, after the red x release, dragged them to the Weather
    > folder. Some made it and some didn't. Now in doing a search it's not
    > possible to recognize those in the Weather folder, and those weather BMs not
    > in it.
    >
    > I suspect there's some underlying problem here. For example, I deleted a
    > couple of dups, but yet they show up in the search. It may be as mentioned
    > above that one needs to close down all SM windows to see what really happened.
    >
    > I think it's time to give up on this approach.

    Please read ALL OF MY REPLIES.....particularly the last one regarding
    the "RED X"

    regards:captjlddavis

  5. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    On 3/13/2008 7:19 PM, W. Watson wrote:
    > captjlddavis wrote:

    >>> I didn't understand that you were using the search function.
    >>> Looking at that, I see there is no way to 'cut' or move those
    >>> bookmarks into filders from the search results screen.
    >>>
    >>> I thought you were doing this manually. The way I'd do this is with
    >>> grep (unix utility) and my favorite text editor, directly
    >>> manipulating the bookmarks.html file.
    >>>
    >>> -sw

    >> Am I missing something.......
    >> In:
    >> SM 1.1.6 and SM 1.1.8 ( I don't have 1.1.7)
    >> 1. I can in Bookmarks manager - search.
    >> 2. In results I can select with shift+enter a contigious group or
    >> ctrl+enter select random group.
    >> 3. Right click and select"Move" or from top menu - edit - Move
    >> 4 . Either move to an existing folder or create a New folder....
    >>
    >> Note - it does not weed out duplicate entries..
    >>
    >> What am I missing ?
    >>
    >> regards:captjlddavis

    > Note I'm using Win XP. SM 1.1.7.
    > There is no Edit->Move or Move from a right-click.
    > Note there is no possibility of a right-click unless you release the search
    > by pressing the red X in the upper right. Now you can right click on any of
    > the highlighted entries.
    >
    > Maybe there are differences in implementation between version of SM in Win
    > and those of Linux.

    SeaMonkey/1.1.8 with Windows XP SP2.

    There is a Move. However, I just tested it. In a search, it does not
    move; it copies. If there is no bug report already on this, I will
    submit one.

    However, without a search -- in the Bookmark Manager window when the
    search input area is blank -- it does indeed move. You must select the
    bookmark to be moved before right-click or before [Edit > Move
    Bookmark(s)] from the menu bar.

    --
    David E. Ross

    Go to Mozdev at for quick access to
    Mozilla-related applications. You can access Mozdev much

  6. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    On 3/13/2008 2:41 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> W. Watson wrote:

    >>> I have zero BMs in the Weather folder. I want 100 placed into it. It's very
    >>> simple to do that with mgr. Search for weather. It displays 100. Select them
    >>> all. Copy them into the folder. However, one can only copy all 100. There is
    >>> no cut and paste. Once you have copied 100, you have 1110 BMs. Now getting
    >>> rid of the original 100 scattered all over is not easily done.
    >>>
    >>> My wild guess at how to do this might be to create a new set of BMs somehow,
    >>> and copy the 100 over there. By set I mean a collection completely separated
    >>> from the 1000.

    >> OK, I got you now. Interesting, all you can do is copy and
    >> paste. You copied the ones within the search window, then
    >> you pasted them into the weather folder. Then why don't you
    >> just delete the ones within that search window.
    >>

    > after I close SM and reopened it, and now it works. I
    > search the folders, from the search window, I highlight all
    > of them, then drag them to the folder you want in the
    > bookmark manager window. No problems.
    >
    > So, if yours isn't working that way, then there's something
    > wrong, and I don't know what.

    What version on what platform are you running?

    With SeaMonkey/1.1.8 on Windows XP, the search window is not separate
    from the Bookmark Manager window; the search window replaces the
    Bookmark Manager window. Folders are not visible in the search window.
    If I highlight a bookmark in the search window, it is not longer
    highlighted when I return to the Bookmark Manager window (by clearing
    the search input area).

    All this is supposed to change in SeaMonkey 2.

    --
    David E. Ross

    Go to Mozdev at for quick access to
    Mozilla-related applications. You can access Mozdev much

  7. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 06:59:47 -0800, David E. Ross wrote:

    > What version on what platform are you running?

    > With SeaMonkey/1.1.8 on Windows XP, the search window is not separate
    > from the Bookmark Manager window; the search window replaces the
    > Bookmark Manager window. Folders are not visible in the search window.

    FYI. The advance search in the Bookmark Manager window is from xSidebar.

    > If I highlight a bookmark in the search window, it is not longer
    > highlighted when I return to the Bookmark Manager window (by clearing
    > the search input area).

    While in search mode right click on a bookmark and choose "locate in
    folder".

    Phil

    --
    Philip Chee ,
    [ ]In it's former life, my computer was a Cray...

  8. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    David E. Ross wrote:
    > What version on what platform are you running?
    >
    > With SeaMonkey/1.1.8 on Windows XP, the search window is not separate
    > from the Bookmark Manager window; the search window replaces the
    > Bookmark Manager window. Folders are not visible in the search window.

    winXP, SM 1.1.8, with no extensions and no themes. When I
    search within the bookmark manager, I get a separate window
    for the search results.

    I select all the search results, right click, copy, and
    paste it in the folder I want within the bookmark manager
    window. Then I return to the search window, and delete
    those results.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  9. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    David E. Ross wrote:
    > On 3/13/2008 2:41 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> OK, I got you now. Interesting, all you can do is copy and
    >>> paste. You copied the ones within the search window, then
    >>> you pasted them into the weather folder. Then why don't you
    >>> just delete the ones within that search window.
    >>>

    >> after I close SM and reopened it, and now it works. I
    >> search the folders, from the search window, I highlight all
    >> of them, then drag them to the folder you want in the
    >> bookmark manager window. No problems.
    >>
    >> So, if yours isn't working that way, then there's something
    >> wrong, and I don't know what.
    >>

    > What version on what platform are you running?
    >
    > With SeaMonkey/1.1.8 on Windows XP, the search window is not separate
    > from the Bookmark Manager window; the search window replaces the
    > Bookmark Manager window. Folders are not visible in the search window.
    > If I highlight a bookmark in the search window, it is not longer
    > highlighted when I return to the Bookmark Manager window (by clearing
    > the search input area).
    >
    > All this is supposed to change in SeaMonkey 2.

    Hi, David. Just subscribed to this SeaMonkey group today (filtering it
    through Hamster Playground (Win) and leafnode (here in Linux), of
    course. Someone in an unrelated group who was using SeaMonkey
    wanted to know how to bin Google Groups crap, and while I figured the
    news filtering would be the same as with Thunderbird I wanted to be sure
    -- so I installed SeaMonkey on my laptop. Added it to my client list at
    the UIP.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  10. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > David E. Ross wrote:
    >> With SeaMonkey/1.1.8 on Windows XP, the search window is not separate
    >> from the Bookmark Manager window; the search window replaces the
    >> Bookmark Manager window. Folders are not visible in the search window.
    >> If I highlight a bookmark in the search window, it is not longer
    >> highlighted when I return to the Bookmark Manager window (by clearing
    >> the search input area).
    >>
    >> All this is supposed to change in SeaMonkey 2.

    > Hi, David. Just subscribed to this SeaMonkey group today (filtering it
    > through Hamster Playground (Win) and leafnode (here in Linux), of
    > course. Someone in an unrelated group who was using SeaMonkey
    > wanted to know how to bin Google Groups crap, and while I figured the
    > news filtering would be the same as with Thunderbird I wanted to be sure
    > -- so I installed SeaMonkey on my laptop. Added it to my client list at
    > the UIP.

    I'm sorry, I'm at a loss here. We're talking about
    bookmarks and you're talking about filtering newsgroups. I
    don't see the connection ;-)

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  11. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    JAS wrote:
    > W. Watson wrote:
    >> Suppose I have 1000 bookmarks and they are not organized into folders.
    >> I'd like to organize all of the ones that have weather in their title.
    >> Maybe there are 100. If I create a BM folder called Weather, and find
    >> all of the ones with weather, I can copy and paste them into Weather.
    >> However, I now have 200 weather BMs. Without finding all the weather
    >> BMs outside the Weather folder and deleting them individually, is
    >> there another way to do this?

    > You might look at this program AM-Deadlink at
    > http://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm. It is freeware and has worked good
    > for me when working with bookmarks.

    Does it do any more than just find dead links? The URL shows nothing more
    than dead link removal.

  12. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    W. Watson wrote:
    > JAS wrote:
    >> W. Watson wrote:
    >>> Suppose I have 1000 bookmarks and they are not organized into
    >>> folders. I'd like to organize all of the ones that have weather in
    >>> their title. Maybe there are 100. If I create a BM folder called
    >>> Weather, and find all of the ones with weather, I can copy and paste
    >>> them into Weather. However, I now have 200 weather BMs. Without
    >>> finding all the weather BMs outside the Weather folder and deleting
    >>> them individually, is there another way to do this?

    >> You might look at this program AM-Deadlink at
    >> http://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm. It is freeware and has worked
    >> good for me when working with bookmarks.
    >>

    > Does it do any more than just find dead links? The URL shows nothing
    > more than dead link removal.

    Yes it finds duplicates and deletes if you wish,checks for favicons to
    download or deletes all favicons,makes backups of the bookmark file in
    case you want to restore,among checking for bad bookmarks.
    JAS
    --

    You either teach people to treat you with dignity and respect, or you don't. This means you are partly responsible for the mistreatment that you get at the hands of someone else.

  13. Re: Organizing Bookmarks

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> David E. Ross wrote:
    >>> With SeaMonkey/1.1.8 on Windows XP, the search window is not separate
    >>> from the Bookmark Manager window; the search window replaces the
    >>> Bookmark Manager window. Folders are not visible in the search window.
    >>> If I highlight a bookmark in the search window, it is not longer
    >>> highlighted when I return to the Bookmark Manager window (by clearing
    >>> the search input area).
    >>>
    >>> All this is supposed to change in SeaMonkey 2.

    >> Hi, David. Just subscribed to this SeaMonkey group today (filtering it
    >> through Hamster Playground (Win) and leafnode (here in Linux), of
    >> course. Someone in an unrelated group who was using SeaMonkey
    >> wanted to know how to bin Google Groups crap, and while I figured the
    >> news filtering would be the same as with Thunderbird I wanted to be sure
    >> -- so I installed SeaMonkey on my laptop. Added it to my client list at
    >> the UIP.

    > I'm sorry, I'm at a loss here. We're talking about
    > bookmarks and you're talking about filtering newsgroups. I
    > don't see the connection ;-)

    I know David from other (nonmoz) group, and wanted to say hi. This is a
    Seamonkey group; I was explaining how I happened to install Seamonkey
    and therefore end up in this group. But of course, all that's explained
    in what I wrote. You must have a hell of a time following something
    like a movie or a book, where things can actually get complicated.