SM nntp port not closing? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on SM nntp port not closing? - Mozilla ; NewsGroups SM opens nntp port, when I close the mail/newsreader and switch to browser or other windows, the nntp port remains unused open, when I toggle online-offline the nntp port closes. If I have a CZ-IRC-window open at this time, ...

  1. SM nntp port not closing?

    NewsGroups SM opens nntp port, when I close the mail/newsreader and switch to
    browser or other windows,
    the nntp port remains unused open, when I toggle online-offline the nntp port
    closes.
    If I have a CZ-IRC-window open at this time, it goes offline too, of course, I
    am kicked off the IRC.

    How to close only the nntp port after closing mail/news without swichting
    on/offline,
    the Stop button in mail/news window don´t closes this port.

    TIA, Theo.

  2. Re: SM nntp port not closing?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Theo Fried wrote:
    >> NewsGroups SM opens nntp port, when I close the mail/newsreader and
    >> switch to browser or other windows,
    >> the nntp port remains unused open, when I toggle online-offline the
    >> nntp port closes.
    >> If I have a CZ-IRC-window open at this time, it goes offline too, of
    >> course, I am kicked off the IRC.
    >>
    >> How to close only the nntp port after closing mail/news without
    >> swichting on/offline,
    >> the Stop button in mail/news window don´t closes this port.
    >>
    >> TIA, Theo.

    > if you have both mail/news open /and/ the browser open, and you close
    > mail/news, then both mail and news still remains open. It always has
    > been like that since as far back as the old Netscape 4.x days. If you
    > don't want it opened when you browse, then close the *entire* program,
    > then re-open the browser.

    Thanks for info and hint. Didnt know that special historic fact,
    but I dont like unused open ports because of safty reasons.
    Perhaps it will be improved in a future SM version ...
    So long, Theo

  3. Re: SM nntp port not closing?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Theo Fried wrote:
    >> NewsGroups SM opens nntp port, when I close the mail/newsreader and
    >> switch to browser or other windows,
    >> the nntp port remains unused open, when I toggle online-offline the
    >> nntp port closes.
    >> If I have a CZ-IRC-window open at this time, it goes offline too, of
    >> course, I am kicked off the IRC.
    >>
    >> How to close only the nntp port after closing mail/news without
    >> swichting on/offline,
    >> the Stop button in mail/news window don´t closes this port.
    >>
    >> TIA, Theo.

    > if you have both mail/news open /and/ the browser open, and you close
    > mail/news, then both mail and news still remains open. It always has
    > been like that since as far back as the old Netscape 4.x days. If you
    > don't want it opened when you browse, then close the *entire* program,
    > then re-open the browser.

    You are joking, Peter, surely.

    Many times, in SeaMonkey, I've had both a mail/news window and a browser
    window open, closed the mail/news window (which is usually when I
    remember I had the browser window open), done some browsing then closed it.

    No problems.

    Unless you are talking about separate Mail window and separate News
    window.............

    Daniel

  4. Re: SM nntp port not closing?

    Daniel wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Theo Fried wrote:
    >>> NewsGroups SM opens nntp port, when I close the mail/newsreader and
    >>> switch to browser or other windows,
    >>> the nntp port remains unused open, when I toggle online-offline the
    >>> nntp port closes.
    >>> If I have a CZ-IRC-window open at this time, it goes offline too, of
    >>> course, I am kicked off the IRC.
    >>>
    >>> How to close only the nntp port after closing mail/news without
    >>> swichting on/offline,
    >>> the Stop button in mail/news window don´t closes this port.
    >>>
    >>> TIA, Theo.

    >> if you have both mail/news open /and/ the browser open, and you close
    >> mail/news, then both mail and news still remains open. It always has
    >> been like that since as far back as the old Netscape 4.x days. If you
    >> don't want it opened when you browse, then close the *entire* program,
    >> then re-open the browser.
    >>

    > You are joking, Peter, surely.
    >
    > Many times, in SeaMonkey, I've had both a mail/news window and a browser
    > window open, closed the mail/news window (which is usually when I
    > remember I had the browser window open), done some browsing then closedit.
    >
    > No problems.
    >
    > Unless you are talking about separate Mail window and separate News
    > window.............
    >
    > Daniel

    maybe thats the way it is within linux, but its not like
    that in windows.

    if you have the mail/news window open AND a browser window
    open, and you close the mail/news window, but keep the
    browser window open, the mail/news still remains open and
    active, and will download mail/news if you have it set that
    way. This has gone back to the old Netscape 4.x days.

    If you only have the mail/news window open, then you close
    that, and open the browser, you have in effect closed the
    program then reopened it.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  5. Re: SM nntp port not closing?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> if you have both mail/news open /and/ the browser open, and you close
    >>> mail/news, then both mail and news still remains open. It always has
    >>> been like that since as far back as the old Netscape 4.x days. If you
    >>> don't want it opened when you browse, then close the *entire*
    >>> program, then re-open the browser.
    >>>

    >> You are joking, Peter, surely.
    >>
    >> Many times, in SeaMonkey, I've had both a mail/news window and a
    >> browser window open, closed the mail/news window (which is usually
    >> when I remember I had the browser window open), done some browsing
    >> then closed it.
    >>
    >> No problems.
    >>
    >> Unless you are talking about separate Mail window and separate News
    >> window.............
    >>
    >> Daniel

    > maybe thats the way it is within linux, but its not like that in windows.
    >
    > if you have the mail/news window open AND a browser window open, and you
    > close the mail/news window, but keep the browser window open, the
    > mail/news still remains open and active, and will download mail/news if
    > you have it set that way. This has gone back to the old Netscape 4.x days.
    >
    > If you only have the mail/news window open, then you close that, and
    > open the browser, you have in effect closed the program then reopened it.

    I think Grant is right here. The only way to close the Mail/News
    component completely is to quit the program. Once its open, its open.
    You can close the window, but that doesn't close the component.

    Lee

  6. Re: SM nntp port not closing?

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Daniel wrote:

    >>> You are joking, Peter, surely.
    >>>
    >>> Many times, in SeaMonkey, I've had both a mail/news window and a
    >>> browser window open, closed the mail/news window (which is usually
    >>> when I remember I had the browser window open), done some browsing
    >>> then closed it.
    >>>
    >>> No problems.
    >>>
    >>> Unless you are talking about separate Mail window and separate News
    >>> window.............
    >>>
    >>> Daniel

    >> maybe thats the way it is within linux, but its not like that in windows.
    >>
    >> if you have the mail/news window open AND a browser window open, and
    >> you close the mail/news window, but keep the browser window open, the
    >> mail/news still remains open and active, and will download mail/news
    >> if you have it set that way. This has gone back to the old Netscape
    >> 4.x days.
    >>
    >> If you only have the mail/news window open, then you close that, and
    >> open the browser, you have in effect closed the program then reopened it.
    >>

    > I think Grant is right here. The only way to close the Mail/News
    > component completely is to quit the program. Once its open, its open.
    > You can close the window, but that doesn't close the component.
    >
    > Lee

    Sorry, that's not the way I was reading Peter's reply:-

    if you have both mail/news open /and/ the browser open, and you close
    mail/news, then both mail and news still remains open.
    End Quote

    To me, that is saying that if I have the browser and Mail/News windows
    open, and close the Mail/News window, it (the window) stays open until I
    close the Browser window, but, it would seem what Peter was implying was
    that if I have the two widows open, then close the Mail/News windows,
    the program will still keep checking for new mail every (insert setting
    here) minutes, until the browser is closed, thus completely closing the
    program.

    I've never considered this situation ..... may explain why, on occasion,
    when I start SM (set to open Mail/News screen only), that I find I have
    unread mail already waiting for me.

    Tks.

    Daniel

  7. Re: SM nntp port not closing?

    Daniel wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> maybe thats the way it is within linux, but its not like that in windows.
    >>>
    >>> if you have the mail/news window open AND a browser window open, and
    >>> you close the mail/news window, but keep the browser window open, the
    >>> mail/news still remains open and active, and will download mail/news
    >>> if you have it set that way. This has gone back to the old Netscape
    >>> 4.x days.
    >>>
    >>> If you only have the mail/news window open, then you close that, and
    >>> open the browser, you have in effect closed the program then reopenedit.
    >>>

    >> I think Grant is right here. The only way to close the Mail/News
    >> component completely is to quit the program. Once its open, its open.
    >> You can close the window, but that doesn't close the component.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Sorry, that's not the way I was reading Peter's reply:-

    > if you have both mail/news open /and/ the browser open, and you close
    > mail/news, then both mail and news still remains open.
    > End Quote
    >
    > To me, that is saying that if I have the browser and Mail/News windows
    > open, and close the Mail/News window, it (the window) stays open until I
    > close the Browser window, but, it would seem what Peter was implying was
    > that if I have the two widows open, then close the Mail/News windows,
    > the program will still keep checking for new mail every (insert setting
    > here) minutes, until the browser is closed, thus completely closing the
    > program.
    >
    > I've never considered this situation ..... may explain why, on occasion,
    > when I start SM (set to open Mail/News screen only), that I find I have
    > unread mail already waiting for me.
    >
    > Tks.
    >
    > Daniel

    thats exactly what I said. If you have the mail/news open,
    then you open the browser, and close mail/news, the
    mail/news remains active. OR . . .

    if you have the browser open, then open the mail/news, close
    the mail/news, and just leave the browser open, then the
    mail/news is still active. OR . . .

    If you open just the Message Composer [aka Editor], then the
    mail/news becomes active.

    As long as you open the mail/news part, and have another
    part of SM opened, then close mail/news, it remains active
    and open, and remains that way until you close ALL of SM.

    And as I've stated, this goes back to the Netscape 4.x days.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  8. Re: SM nntp port not closing?

    On 3/10/08 8:25 PM, _Leonidas Jones_ spoke thusly:
    > I think Grant is right here. The only way to close the Mail/News
    > component completely is to quit the program. Once its open, its open.
    > You can close the window, but that doesn't close the component.

    As far as I can tell, it depends on whether or not the code being used
    is shared. For instance, when you first click on a news message, the
    message body is downloaded. That message body is kept in memory; so
    every subsequent time you click on the message, it doesn't need to be
    downloaded again. All you have to do is close the Mail and Newsgroups
    component, and that memory is flushed.

    --
    Chris Ilias

  9. Re: SM nntp port not closing?

    Theo Fried > wrote:

    > Thanks for info and hint. Didnt know that special historic fact,
    > but I dont like unused open ports because of safty reasons.
    > Perhaps it will be improved in a future SM version ...
    > So long, Theo

    There really aren't any safety concerns about opening up, and
    keeping open a socket to a trustworthy Usenet provider.

    Are there?

    -sw

  10. Re: SM nntp port not closing?

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Daniel wrote:

    > I think Grant is right here. The only way to close the Mail/News
    > component completely is to quit the program. Once its open, its open.
    > You can close the window, but that doesn't close the component.
    >
    > Lee

    Thinking about this today, had me wondering if this situation (just
    closing the window but not ending the process) is the reason why we
    sometimes get the phantom Mozilla(/Seamonkey??) running on MS Windows
    after the program is supposedly closed, i.e. when only one window is
    open and that window is closed, the process is not actually closed and
    remains running in the background, so the next time the user wants to
    open Mozilla(/SeaMonkey), it wants the user to create/select a different
    profile, because the (default) profile is still being used by the still
    functioning, background, process!

    Anybody??

    Daniel

+ Reply to Thread