relocate bookmark file - Mozilla

This is a discussion on relocate bookmark file - Mozilla ; Hello, does anybody know if there is a possibility to get Seamonkey to look for the bookmark file somewhereelse than the standard location ? I would like to have the same bookmarks on my desktop and on my laptop, so ...

  1. relocate bookmark file

    Hello,
    does anybody know if there is a possibility to get Seamonkey to look
    for the bookmark file somewhereelse than the standard location ?
    I would like to have the same bookmarks on my desktop and on my
    laptop, so i would like to put the bookmarkfile in a shared folder and
    either synchronize it regularly or use the same file for both
    browsers.
    I would greatly appreciate any help for this problem

    Thanks very much in advance

    Oliver

  2. Re: relocate bookmark file

    brendel@nancy.inra.fr wrote:
    > Hello,
    > does anybody know if there is a possibility to get Seamonkey to look
    > for the bookmark file somewhereelse than the standard location ?
    > I would like to have the same bookmarks on my desktop and on my
    > laptop, so i would like to put the bookmarkfile in a shared folder and
    > either synchronize it regularly or use the same file for both
    > browsers.
    > I would greatly appreciate any help for this problem
    >
    > Thanks very much in advance
    >
    > Oliver

    Oliver, try copying your bookmarks file to where ever you want it on
    both computers, then, in the Bookmarks Manager, try File->Open Bookmarks
    File.

    Might do what you want.

    Daniel

  3. Re: relocate bookmark file

    brendel@nancy.inra.fr wrote:
    > Hello,
    > does anybody know if there is a possibility to get Seamonkey to look
    > for the bookmark file somewhereelse than the standard location ?
    > I would like to have the same bookmarks on my desktop and on my
    > laptop, so i would like to put the bookmarkfile in a shared folder and
    > either synchronize it regularly or use the same file for both
    > browsers.
    > I would greatly appreciate any help for this problem
    >
    > Thanks very much in advance
    >
    > Oliver

    Why don't you just share the folder like you would share any other folder?

    It's in your profile:
    Application Data> Mozilla> Profiles> It will be the ".slt" folder.

    Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong with this advice.

  4. Re: relocate bookmark file

    Thanks a lot four your advice, I used the option via Bookmars Manager
    and open file
    as I already have shared directories that I synchronize regularly ..

    Cheers

    Oliver

    On Mar 5, 7:16 pm, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    wrote:
    > bren...@nancy.inra.fr wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > > does anybody know if there is a possibility to get Seamonkey to look
    > > for the bookmark file somewhereelse than the standard location ?
    > > I would like to have the same bookmarks on my desktop and on my
    > > laptop, so i would like to put the bookmarkfile in a shared folder and
    > > either synchronize it regularly or use the same file for both
    > > browsers.
    > > I would greatly appreciate any help for this problem

    > > Thanks very much in advance

    > > Oliver

    > both Daniel's and Mike's responses are correct.
    >
    > --
    > *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email
    > help!!!! Emails to me may become public
    >
    > Notice: This posting is protected under the Free Speech
    > Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    > reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    > banned.
    >
    > Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  5. Re: relocate bookmark file

    Oli170 wrote:
    > Thanks a lot four your advice, I used the option via Bookmars Manager
    > and open file
    > as I already have shared directories that I synchronize regularly ..
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Oliver
    >

    > On Mar 5, 7:16 pm, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > wrote:
    >> bren...@nancy.inra.fr wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>> does anybody know if there is a possibility to get Seamonkey to look
    >>> for the bookmark file somewhereelse than the standard location ?
    >>> I would like to have the same bookmarks on my desktop and on my
    >>> laptop, so i would like to put the bookmarkfile in a shared folder and
    >>> either synchronize it regularly or use the same file for both
    >>> browsers.
    >>> I would greatly appreciate any help for this problem
    >>> Thanks very much in advance
    >>> Oliver

    >> both Daniel's and Mike's responses are correct.
    >>
    >> --
    >> *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email
    >> help!!!! Emails to me may become public
    >>
    >> Notice: This posting is protected under the Free Speech
    >> Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    >> reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    >> banned.
    >>
    >> Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Don't want to rain on your picnic, but since opening a bookmarks file
    from Bookmanager has the effect of permanently changing the
    bookmarks'file location, here are at least two consequences which need
    be taken into account:

    - since the bookmarks file is in a shared folder, when you will be on
    the move with your laptop, one of the two machines will loose access to
    the bookmarks'file, depending on the location of the shared folder.
    Obviously, you do not want this machine to be your laptop!
    - when the two machines are connected, do not launch SM at the same
    time on both machines. Obvious, but easy to forget ...

    Since my home network comprizes two desktops and one laptop, I came
    across the very same problem a long time ago. I decided on dayly updates
    from the machine which I consider Master, not only of the bookmarks
    file, but of security files and address book files, among others.

    Of course, all this assumes only one user is allowed to make changes in
    the bookmarks. Otherwise, you are obviously getting into a totally
    different environment :=).

    --
    John Doue

  6. Re: relocate bookmark file

    John Doue wrote:
    > Oli170 wrote:
    >> Thanks a lot four your advice, I used the option via Bookmars Manager
    >> and open file
    >> as I already have shared directories that I synchronize regularly ..
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Oliver
    >>

    >> On Mar 5, 7:16 pm, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >> wrote:
    >>> both Daniel's and Mike's responses are correct.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email
    >>> help!!!! Emails to me may become public
    >>>
    >>> Notice: This posting is protected under the Free Speech
    >>> Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    >>> reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    >>> banned.
    >>>
    >>> Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    > Don't want to rain on your picnic, but since opening a bookmarks file
    > from Bookmanager has the effect of permanently changing the
    > bookmarks'file location, here are at least two consequences which need
    > be taken into account:
    >
    > - since the bookmarks file is in a shared folder, when you will be on
    > the move with your laptop, one of the two machines will loose access to
    > the bookmarks'file, depending on the location of the shared folder.
    > Obviously, you do not want this machine to be your laptop!
    > - when the two machines are connected, do not launch SM at the same
    > time on both machines. Obvious, but easy to forget ...
    >
    > Since my home network comprizes two desktops and one laptop, I came
    > across the very same problem a long time ago. I decided on dayly updates
    > from the machine which I consider Master, not only of the bookmarks
    > file, but of security files and address book files, among others.
    >
    > Of course, all this assumes only one user is allowed to make changes in
    > the bookmarks. Otherwise, you are obviously getting into a totally
    > different environment :=).

    I'm totally lost on why you would say do not have both
    program accessing the same bookmark file at the same time?
    I use the same bookmark file for both SM and FF and they're
    both open at the same time, and there are no problems
    whatsoever.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
    reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
    banned.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  7. Re: relocate bookmark file

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > John Doue wrote:
    >> Oli170 wrote:
    >>> Thanks a lot four your advice, I used the option via Bookmars Manager
    >>> and open file
    >>> as I already have shared directories that I synchronize regularly ..
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>
    >>> Oliver

    >> Don't want to rain on your picnic, but since opening a bookmarks file
    >> from Bookmanager has the effect of permanently changing the
    >> bookmarks'file location, here are at least two consequences which need
    >> be taken into account:
    >>
    >> - since the bookmarks file is in a shared folder, when you will be on
    >> the move with your laptop, one of the two machines will loose access
    >> to the bookmarks'file, depending on the location of the shared folder.
    >> Obviously, you do not want this machine to be your laptop!
    >> - when the two machines are connected, do not launch SM at the same
    >> time on both machines. Obvious, but easy to forget ...
    >>
    >> Since my home network comprizes two desktops and one laptop, I came
    >> across the very same problem a long time ago. I decided on dayly
    >> updates from the machine which I consider Master, not only of the
    >> bookmarks file, but of security files and address book files, among
    >> others.
    >>
    >> Of course, all this assumes only one user is allowed to make changes
    >> in the bookmarks. Otherwise, you are obviously getting into a totally
    >> different environment :=).
    >>

    > I'm totally lost on why you would say do not have both program accessing
    > the same bookmark file at the same time? I use the same bookmark file
    > for both SM and FF and they're both open at the same time, and there are
    > no problems whatsoever.

    Well, unless a file is shared by design on a server, I am of the
    opinion, it is not safe to open it with two different programs at the
    same time. The risk of conflict is there, AFAIK, even if, this risk is
    limited in your case, alone behind the same machine.

    I prefer to err on the safe side, but I am learning everyday!

    --
    John Doue

+ Reply to Thread