SeaMonkey and the Credit Union - Mozilla

This is a discussion on SeaMonkey and the Credit Union - Mozilla ; My configuration: Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254) Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071128 SeaMonkey/1.1.7 with Menu, Navigation, Status, and PrefBar bars displayed Cookies for the originating Web site only No ...

  1. SeaMonkey and the Credit Union

    My configuration:
    Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11)
    Gecko/20071128 SeaMonkey/1.1.7
    with Menu, Navigation, Status, and PrefBar bars displayed
    Cookies for the originating Web site only
    No firewall or proxy
    Java J2SE RE v.6 (build 1.6.0-b105, file and product versions 6.0.0.105)
    Flash 9.0.47.0 (9.0 r47) (but blocked with Flash Blocker)
    Extensions:
    Adblock Plus 0.7.5.3
    FlashBlock 1.3.8
    LiveHTTPHeaders 0.13.1
    Mnenhy 0.7.5
    PrefBar 4.0:
    Unrequested popups suppressed
    Images from the originating server only
    FlashBlock enabled
    etc
    Show (Master) Passwords 0.1

    When I go to the Web site of a credit union to which I belong,
    logging-in has an added annoyance. Besides my account ID and user
    password, I must also answer two challenge questions. Supposedly, I can
    "register" my computer with the credit union's secure Web server to
    avoid repeatedly answering those challenge questions, but that is
    effective for only about a day or two.

    At the request of the credit union and their outside provider of secure
    banking Web services, I ran an extensive test to show the problem.

    The outside provider wants me to rerun the test, noting the date and
    time of each step so they can locate my accesses to the secure server in
    their logs. However, they want me to do this with Firefox although I
    have no trouble with using SeaMonkey. Their comment was:
    > SeaMonkey is not a certified browser. Regardless of whether
    > or not it uses the same engine as FireFox or not, it has not
    > been tested and may not work correctly. Because it is not
    > certified, we do not have access to the SeaMonkey browser so
    > we cannot test/troubleshoot with that configuration. If the
    > user is having an issue with a certified browser then we can
    > troubleshoot that browser and the user can then attempt
    > to configure the uncertified browser with similar settings.

    Should I spoof Firefox for the test? Should I download and install
    Firefox for the test? Is their comment valid?

    Although I have no evidence of UA sniffing, I stated that sniffing for
    Firefox would be invalid when I reported the results of my initial
    testing. I also provided links to

    and

    in my report.

    I'm delaying the rerun of the test until I see some feedback to this
    message.

    Cross-posted to mozilla.evangelism and mozilla.support.seamonkey, with
    followups to the former.

    --
    David E. Ross

    Go to Mozdev at for quick access to
    Mozilla-related applications. You can access Mozdev much

  2. Re: SeaMonkey and the Credit Union

    On 01/15/2008 05:39 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
    > My configuration:
    > Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    > (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
    > Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11)
    > Gecko/20071128 SeaMonkey/1.1.7
    > with Menu, Navigation, Status, and PrefBar bars displayed
    > Cookies for the originating Web site only
    > No firewall or proxy
    > Java J2SE RE v.6 (build 1.6.0-b105, file and product versions 6.0.0.105)
    > Flash 9.0.47.0 (9.0 r47) (but blocked with Flash Blocker)
    > Extensions:
    > Adblock Plus 0.7.5.3
    > FlashBlock 1.3.8
    > LiveHTTPHeaders 0.13.1
    > Mnenhy 0.7.5
    > PrefBar 4.0:
    > Unrequested popups suppressed
    > Images from the originating server only
    > FlashBlock enabled
    > etc
    > Show (Master) Passwords 0.1
    >
    > When I go to the Web site of a credit union to which I belong,
    > logging-in has an added annoyance. Besides my account ID and user
    > password, I must also answer two challenge questions. Supposedly, I can
    > "register" my computer with the credit union's secure Web server to
    > avoid repeatedly answering those challenge questions, but that is
    > effective for only about a day or two.
    >
    > At the request of the credit union and their outside provider of secure
    > banking Web services, I ran an extensive test to show the problem.
    >
    > The outside provider wants me to rerun the test, noting the date and
    > time of each step so they can locate my accesses to the secure server in
    > their logs. However, they want me to do this with Firefox although I
    > have no trouble with using SeaMonkey. Their comment was:
    >> SeaMonkey is not a certified browser. Regardless of whether
    >> or not it uses the same engine as FireFox or not, it has not
    >> been tested and may not work correctly. Because it is not
    >> certified, we do not have access to the SeaMonkey browser so
    >> we cannot test/troubleshoot with that configuration. If the
    >> user is having an issue with a certified browser then we can
    >> troubleshoot that browser and the user can then attempt
    >> to configure the uncertified browser with similar settings.

    > Should I spoof Firefox for the test? Should I download and install
    > Firefox for the test? Is their comment valid?
    >
    > Although I have no evidence of UA sniffing, I stated that sniffing for
    > Firefox would be invalid when I reported the results of my initial
    > testing. I also provided links to
    >

    > and
    >
    > in my report.
    >
    > I'm delaying the rerun of the test until I see some feedback to this
    > message.
    >
    > Cross-posted to mozilla.evangelism and mozilla.support.seamonkey, with
    > followups to the former.

    Decided to repost my reply here, as: 1) others may have a similar
    problem, and 2) others may not subscribe to mozilla.evangelism.

    You can try this:

    1. Open about:config (url bar on SM)
    2. Right-click anywhere in the white space in the "Preference Name"
    window. A window will popup, select: New|String
    3. In the preference name enter:

    general.useragent.extra.notfirefox

    in the Value enter: NOT Firefox/2.0

    That's it. If they are browser sniffing your new browser info should
    look something like this:

    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11)
    Gecko/20071128 NOT Firefox/2.0 SeaMonkey/1.1.7

    With any luck, they will trigger on the Firefox bit in the info and
    won't know the difference.

    You're lucky. My son's military bank will _only_ accept IE. Couldn't do
    anything about it, and even ended up installing IE4Linux on the linux
    machine I installed for them at Christmas so that he could access his
    account.

  3. Re: SeaMonkey and the Credit Union

    "User Agent Switcher"?

    --
    ~Justin Wood (Callek)

  4. Re: SeaMonkey and the Credit Union

    Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:
> [...]

    >> You can try this:
    >>
    >> 1. Open about:config (url bar on SM)
    >> 2. Right-click anywhere in the white space in the "Preference Name"
    >> window. A window will popup, select: New|String
    >> 3. In the preference name enter:
    >>
    >> general.useragent.extra.notfirefox
    >>
    >> in the Value enter: NOT Firefox/2.0
    >>
    >> That's it. If they are browser sniffing your new browser info should
    >> look something like this:
    >>
    >> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11)
    >> Gecko/20071128 NOT Firefox/2.0 SeaMonkey/1.1.7
    >>
    >> With any luck, they will trigger on the Firefox bit in the info and
    >> won't know the difference.
    >>
    >> You're lucky. My son's military bank will _only_ accept IE. Couldn't do
    >> anything about it, and even ended up installing IE4Linux on the linux
    >> machine I installed for them at Christmas so that he could access his

    Or PrefBar.

    Lee

  5. Re: SeaMonkey and the Credit Union

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:
    >> NoOp wrote:

    >>> Decided to repost my reply here, as: 1) others may have a similar
    >>> problem, and 2) others may not subscribe to mozilla.evangelism.
    >>>
    >>> You can try this:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Open about:config (url bar on SM)
    >>> 2. Right-click anywhere in the white space in the "Preference Name"
    >>> window. A window will popup, select: New|String
    >>> 3. In the preference name enter:
    >>>
    >>> general.useragent.extra.notfirefox
    >>>
    >>> in the Value enter: NOT Firefox/2.0
    >>>
    >>> That's it. If they are browser sniffing your new browser info should
    >>> look something like this:
    >>>
    >>> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11)
    >>> Gecko/20071128 NOT Firefox/2.0 SeaMonkey/1.1.7
    >>>
    >>> With any luck, they will trigger on the Firefox bit in the info and
    >>> won't know the difference.
    >>>
    >>> You're lucky. My son's military bank will _only_ accept IE. Couldn't do
    >>> anything about it, and even ended up installing IE4Linux on the linux
    >>> machine I installed for them at Christmas so that he could access his
    >>> account.
    >>>

    >> "User Agent Switcher"?
    >>

    > Or PrefBar.
    >
    > Lee

    or multizilla

    Warning: Private emails to me may become public

    Notice: This posting is protected under Copyright Laws.

    Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
    Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
    the Mozilla Project"

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  6. Re: SeaMonkey and the Credit Union

    On 01/15/2008 10:34 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:

    >>> "User Agent Switcher"?
    >>>

    >> Or PrefBar.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > or multizilla

    I tried spoofing via PrefBar & apparently it's an ActiveX thing if I
    recall. I'll give UAS and Multizilla a try when he returns home in February.

  7. Re: SeaMonkey and the Credit Union

    NoOp wrote:
    > On 01/15/2008 10:34 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> Or PrefBar.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> or multizilla
    >>

    > I tried spoofing via PrefBar & apparently it's an ActiveX thing if I
    > recall. I'll give UAS and Multizilla a try when he returns home in February.

    well if truely it is an activeX thing, switching the User Agent (via
    prefbar, or multizilla will _not_ help).

    I was more referring to your suggestion about people adding stuff to
    their about:config to change their UA. Its (usually) better to change
    it via one of those mentioned extensions first, and if it works, then
    you can know if tweaking that pref will be good for you.

    --
    ~Justin Wood (Callek)

  8. Re: SeaMonkey and the Credit Union

    On 01/16/2008 07:27 PM, Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:
    > NoOp wrote:

    >> I tried spoofing via PrefBar & apparently it's an ActiveX thing if I
    >> recall. I'll give UAS and Multizilla a try when he returns home in February.

    > well if truely it is an activeX thing, switching the User Agent (via
    > prefbar, or multizilla will _not_ help).
    >
    > I was more referring to your suggestion about people adding stuff to
    > their about:config to change their UA. Its (usually) better to change
    > it via one of those mentioned extensions first, and if it works, then
    > you can know if tweaking that pref will be good for you.

    Have a look at the:

    Subject: Re: Being forced to abandon Seamonkey (1.1.4)

    thread. Message-ID: <1192099287.79@user.newsoffice.de>

    The mode was suggested by Manuel Reimer (PrefBar), which basically gives
    you an interface to about:config.

    I thought that he was adding it to the More Buttons:
    http://prefbar.mozdev.org/buttons.html
    but can't seem to find it just now. Anyway, if you want to add it via
    PrefBar, here are Manuels instructions:

    Better get PrefBar: http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

    and create this button:

    Type: Pref Check
    ID: spoofff
    Label: Spoof FF
    Prefstring: general.useragent.extra.notfirefox
    toPref: value?"NOT Firefox/2.0":""
    fromPref: value!=""

  9. Re: SeaMonkey and the Credit Union

    On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 17:39:12 -0800, David E. Ross wrote:

    > Their comment was:

    >> SeaMonkey is not a certified browser. Regardless of whether
    >> or not it uses the same engine as FireFox or not, it has not
    >> been tested and may not work correctly. Because it is not
    >> certified, we do not have access to the SeaMonkey browser so
    >> we cannot test/troubleshoot with that configuration.

    Sounds like it would be easier convincing them that they have
    access to Seamonkey easier than doing all this back and forth
    email testing.

    -sw

+ Reply to Thread