mail filter by blank subject line - Mozilla

This is a discussion on mail filter by blank subject line - Mozilla ; Good day I have several filters but one I can not get to work I would like any emails with a blank subject field to go to a folder called blank but for some reason I can not anything to ...

  1. mail filter by blank subject line

    Good day

    I have several filters but one I can not get to work

    I would like any emails with a blank subject field to go to a folder
    called blank but for some reason I can not anything to work

    has anyone been able to do this

    thanks

  2. Re: mail filter by blank subject line

    Smiles wrote:
    > Good day
    >
    > I have several filters but one I can not get to work
    >
    > I would like any emails with a blank subject field to go to a folder
    > called blank but for some reason I can not anything to work
    >
    > has anyone been able to do this
    >
    > thanks

    Well, what about:

    (*) Match any of the following:
    "Subject" "is" ""
    Perform these actions:
    "Move to" "blank on Local Folders"

    Note that an empty subject field is not the same as a subject field filled
    with spaces, and the latter is not the same as a subject field with a lot of
    spaces followed (outside the width of your mailer window) by something else.
    The above only checks for an empty subject field. (It's important to use "is"
    and not "contains" as the rule's "verb".)

    It's not practical to check with subjects with any number of spaces (from,
    let's say, 0 to 256) and nothing else: it would mean (for this example) 257
    lines to the "match any" rule. Then you would still want to check for hard
    tabs at any position.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. "Yes" is the answer.
    -- Swami X

  3. Re: mail filter by blank subject line

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > Smiles wrote:
    >> Good day
    >>
    >> I have several filters but one I can not get to work
    >>
    >> I would like any emails with a blank subject field to go to a folder
    >> called blank but for some reason I can not anything to work
    >>
    >> has anyone been able to do this
    >>
    >> thanks

    > Well, what about:
    >
    > (*) Match any of the following:
    > "Subject" "is" ""
    > Perform these actions:
    > "Move to" "blank on Local Folders"
    >
    > Note that an empty subject field is not the same as a subject field filled
    > with spaces, and the latter is not the same as a subject field with a lot of
    > spaces followed (outside the width of your mailer window) by something else.
    > The above only checks for an empty subject field. (It's important to use "is"
    > and not "contains" as the rule's "verb".)
    >
    > It's not practical to check with subjects with any number of spaces (from,
    > let's say, 0 to 256) and nothing else: it would mean (for this example) 257
    > lines to the "match any" rule. Then you would still want to check for hard
    > tabs at any position.
    >

    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

    have you ever tried sending yourself a message with a blank
    subject line? Try it and see what happens.

    disregarded!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  4. Re: mail filter by blank subject line

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >> Smiles wrote:
    >>> Good day
    >>>
    >>> I have several filters but one I can not get to work
    >>>
    >>> I would like any emails with a blank subject field to go to a folder
    >>> called blank but for some reason I can not anything to work
    >>>
    >>> has anyone been able to do this
    >>>
    >>> thanks

    >> Well, what about:
    >>
    >> (*) Match any of the following:
    >> "Subject" "is" ""
    >> Perform these actions:
    >> "Move to" "blank on Local Folders"
    >>
    >> Note that an empty subject field is not the same as a subject field
    >> filled with spaces, and the latter is not the same as a subject field
    >> with a lot of spaces followed (outside the width of your mailer
    >> window) by something else. The above only checks for an empty subject
    >> field. (It's important to use "is" and not "contains" as the rule's
    >> "verb".)
    >>
    >> It's not practical to check with subjects with any number of spaces
    >> (from, let's say, 0 to 256) and nothing else: it would mean (for this
    >> example) 257 lines to the "match any" rule. Then you would still want
    >> to check for hard tabs at any position.
    >>

    >> Best regards,
    >> Tony.

    > have you ever tried sending yourself a message with a blank subject
    > line? Try it and see what happens.

    I did seamonkey puts a (no subject) but it can be removed
    but a blank field in filter does not work

    "Subject" "is" "" does not work
    "Subject" "is" "blank" does not work
    "Subject" "is" " " does not work

    thanks