    Any bright ideas its driving me balmy

    John

  2. Re: Gnome!

    On 2007-10-11 17:31 CET,
    john.68taylor@btinternet.com wrote:

    > For reason totally beyond me I can not install latest SeaMonkey on
    > Gnome Desktop - I have followed the instructions but a big no!
    >
    > It was (is) there under KDE and has(is) letting me access the old
    > desktop file but cant update or see Icon on Gnome
    >
    > Any bright ideas its driving me balmy
    >
    > John

    And Your platform on which Gnome #.# is running is Solaris x86, SPARC or
    what?

    --
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; WinNT4.0; en-US; rv:1.8.0.12) Gecko/20070510
    SeaMonkey/1.0.9 - Classic Theme - 266MHz Mobile Pentium II 288MB RAM

  3. Re: Gnome!

    Rolf wrote:
    > On 2007-10-11 17:31 CET,
    > john.68taylor@btinternet.com wrote:
    >

    >> For reason totally beyond me I can not install latest SeaMonkey on
    >> Gnome Desktop - I have followed the instructions but a big no!
    >>
    >> It was (is) there under KDE and has(is) letting me access the old
    >> desktop file but cant update or see Icon on Gnome
    >>
    >> Any bright ideas its driving me balmy
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    > And Your platform on which Gnome #.# is running is Solaris x86, SPARC or
    > what?

    No real idea but x86 looks familiar

    John

  4. Re: Gnome!

    John Taylor wrote:
    > Rolf wrote:
    >> On 2007-10-11 17:31 CET,
    >> john.68taylor@btinternet.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> For reason totally beyond me I can not install latest SeaMonkey on
    >>> Gnome Desktop - I have followed the instructions but a big no!
    >>>
    >>> It was (is) there under KDE and has(is) letting me access the old
    >>> desktop file but cant update or see Icon on Gnome
    >>>
    >>> Any bright ideas its driving me balmy
    >>>
    >>> John
    >>>

    >> And Your platform on which Gnome #.# is running is Solaris x86, SPARC
    >> or what?
    >>

    > No real idea but x86 looks familiar
    >
    > John

    John, your header says you are using Intel-Linux, but what distribution
    are you using? Barry.

  5. Re: Gnome!

    Barry Edwin Gilmour wrote:
    > John Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> Rolf wrote:

    >>> And Your platform on which Gnome #.# is running is Solaris x86, SPARC
    >>> or what?
    >>>

    >> No real idea but x86 looks familiar
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    > John, your header says you are using Intel-Linux, but what distribution
    > are you using? Barry.

    As a new boy (figuratively speaking) I will try and answer sensibly -
    Ubuntu was the first gui burn followed by kubuntu gui neither of which
    could activate my monitor (incompatible) so nothing happened and I
    continued to use MS and in part gave up on Linux!

    After much "ferreting" I found a nice guy who help me modify my X file
    and my monitor worked and I could see what was Kubuntu ( it certainly
    was not Gnome) so I continued with what was in front of me - not really
    understanding it but tripping through the unfolding fields as the
    appeared (cant say I liked it overmuch but thats another story)

    After about 4 months I plucked up courage and installed Gnome-Desktop at
    which moment what little knowledge I thought I had disappeared out of
    the window and thats where we are today!

    There is much more but you may not be interested, so how far do you want
    to take it?

    John

  6. Re: Gnome!

    John Taylor wrote:
    > Barry Edwin Gilmour wrote:
    >> John Taylor wrote:

    >>> No real idea but x86 looks familiar
    >>>
    >>> John

    >> John, your header says you are using Intel-Linux, but what
    >> distribution are you using? Barry.

    > As a new boy (figuratively speaking) I will try and answer sensibly -
    > Ubuntu was the first gui burn followed by kubuntu gui neither of which
    > could activate my monitor (incompatible) so nothing happened and I
    > continued to use MS and in part gave up on Linux!
    >
    > After much "ferreting" I found a nice guy who help me modify my X file
    > and my monitor worked and I could see what was Kubuntu ( it certainly
    > was not Gnome) so I continued with what was in front of me - not really
    > understanding it but tripping through the unfolding fields as the
    > appeared (cant say I liked it overmuch but thats another story)
    >
    > After about 4 months I plucked up courage and installed Gnome-Desktop at
    > which moment what little knowledge I thought I had disappeared out of
    > the window and thats where we are today!
    >
    > There is much more but you may not be interested, so how far do you want
    > to take it?
    >
    > John

    John, I'll respond privately. Sounds like a big task. Barry.

  7. Re: Gnome!

    On 10/12/2007 02:51 AM, John Taylor wrote:
    > Barry Edwin Gilmour wrote:
    >> John Taylor wrote:

    >>> No real idea but x86 looks familiar
    >>>
    >>> John
    >>>

    >> John, your header says you are using Intel-Linux, but what distribution
    >> are you using? Barry.

    > As a new boy (figuratively speaking) I will try and answer sensibly -
    > Ubuntu was the first gui burn followed by kubuntu gui neither of which
    > could activate my monitor (incompatible) so nothing happened and I
    > continued to use MS and in part gave up on Linux!
    >
    > After much "ferreting" I found a nice guy who help me modify my X file
    > and my monitor worked and I could see what was Kubuntu ( it certainly
    > was not Gnome) so I continued with what was in front of me - not really
    > understanding it but tripping through the unfolding fields as the
    > appeared (cant say I liked it overmuch but thats another story)
    >
    > After about 4 months I plucked up courage and installed Gnome-Desktop at
    > which moment what little knowledge I thought I had disappeared out of
    > the window and thats where we are today!
    >
    > There is much more but you may not be interested, so how far do you want
    > to take it?
    >
    > John

    So put an icon on your desktop and in your menus.

    BTW: the icon instructions are incorrect:

    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seam...ion.html#linux

    4. Click the icon button and type in the following as the icon's location:

    directory_name/icons/mozicon50.xpm

    where directory_name is the directory where you installed SeaMonkey. For
    example, the default directory is /usr/local/seamonkey/icons/default.xpm.

    *Should read:*

    4. Click the icon button and type in the following as the icon's location:

    directory_name/chrome/icons/default/

    where directory_name is the directory where you installed SeaMonkey. For
    example, the default directory is
    /usr/local/seamonkey/chrome/icons/default/.

    Note: you can select "Browse" and browse to the above directory as well.

    In Gnome, once the proper directory is selected, the user can then
    select whatever icon is listed in the directory (default.xpm etc) to put
    on the panel or the Applications menu.

+ Reply to Thread