"mark messages by date" - Mozilla

This is a discussion on "mark messages by date" - Mozilla ; in both of then latest versions of seamonkey trying to mark messages by date... from 1/1/2004 to 8/1/2007 or some such date ... causes Seamonkey to lock up... i can do other things on the computer, while waiting for this ...

  1. "mark messages by date"

    in both of then latest versions of seamonkey trying to mark messages by
    date... from 1/1/2004 to 8/1/2007 or some such date ... causes
    Seamonkey to lock up... i can do other things on the computer, while
    waiting for this large number of messages to be marked as read... but it
    never happens... have to c/a/d to shut it down...

  2. Re: "mark messages by date"

    sean.bean@wizard.net wrote:
    > in both of then latest versions of seamonkey trying to mark messages by
    > date... from 1/1/2004 to 8/1/2007 or some such date ... causes
    > Seamonkey to lock up... i can do other things on the computer, while
    > waiting for this large number of messages to be marked as read... but it
    > never happens... have to c/a/d to shut it down...

    if you have a large amount of messages during that time
    period, then the process can take a very long time.
    Depending on your computer, it could take only a few seconds
    to several minutes. Its really not 'locked up.' You just
    have to wait it out, and not jump the gun.

    Yesterday, I looked at one of my folders, and it contained
    1,500 messages. So, after I copied the file somewhere safe,
    I deleted the folder along with all the messages. I thought
    it was taking forever to delete -- 5 minutes. After the 5
    minutes, things returned back to normal.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: "mark messages by date"

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > sean.bean@wizard.net wrote:
    >> in both of then latest versions of seamonkey trying to mark messages
    >> by date... from 1/1/2004 to 8/1/2007 or some such date ... causes
    >> Seamonkey to lock up... i can do other things on the computer, while
    >> waiting for this large number of messages to be marked as read... but
    >> it never happens... have to c/a/d to shut it down...

    > if you have a large amount of messages during that time period, then the
    > process can take a very long time. Depending on your computer, it could
    > take only a few seconds to several minutes. Its really not 'locked
    > up.' You just have to wait it out, and not jump the gun.
    >
    > Yesterday, I looked at one of my folders, and it contained 1,500
    > messages. So, after I copied the file somewhere safe, I deleted the
    > folder along with all the messages. I thought it was taking forever to
    > delete -- 5 minutes. After the 5 minutes, things returned back to normal.

    i went downstairs cooked dinner... ate dinner... watched the news...
    three hours later... nada... nothing...

    ctrl/alt/del

    reboot "mark all read" worked in 5 seconds...

+ Reply to Thread