How do you remove an "Extension" ? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How do you remove an "Extension" ? - Mozilla ; I loaded "Stock Ticker" and it never quite works with SM 1.1 - so I would like to remove it.....don't know how to do it safely. DoctorBill -- The stuff we haven't figured out yet . . . goes on ...

  1. How do you remove an "Extension" ?

    --
    The stuff we haven't figured out yet . . . goes on forever
    and the answer to everything is right in front of your face.

  2. Re: How do you remove an "Extension" ?

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > I loaded "Stock Ticker" and it never quite works with SM 1.1 - so I
    > would like to remove it.....don't know how to do it safely.
    >
    > DoctorBill

    install the extension manager *and* the extension
    uninstaller: http://mozmonkey.com/

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: How do you remove an "Extension" ?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > DoctorBill wrote:
    >> I loaded "Stock Ticker" and it never quite works with SM 1.1 - so I
    >> would like to remove it.....don't know how to do it safely.
    >>
    >> DoctorBill

    > install the extension manager *and* the extension uninstaller:
    > http://mozmonkey.com/

    A most interesting thing - they are both named "extuninstaller.xpi", so
    only THAT installs when you try downloading BOTH.

    I allowed it to install and restarted SM 1.1....

    Any suggestions? I don't see any way to make it start.

    Or can it? Did someone screw up?

    Go to the site and start a download on both to see what I mean.

    DoctorBill

    --
    The stuff we haven't figured out yet . . . goes on forever
    and the answer to everything is right in front of your face.

  4. Re: How do you remove an "Extension" ?

    On 10/7/2007 11:38 PM, DoctorBill wrote:
    > I loaded "Stock Ticker" and it never quite works with SM 1.1 - so I
    > would like to remove it.....don't know how to do it safely.
    >
    > DoctorBill

    I use Mnenhy from .

    --
    David E. Ross

    Natural foods can be harmful: Look at all the
    people who die of natural causes.

  5. Re: How do you remove an "Extension" ?

    On 10/8/2007 6:00 AM, DoctorBill wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> DoctorBill wrote:
    >>> I loaded "Stock Ticker" and it never quite works with SM 1.1 - so I
    >>> would like to remove it.....don't know how to do it safely.
    >>>
    >>> DoctorBill

    >> install the extension manager *and* the extension uninstaller:
    >> http://mozmonkey.com/
    >>

    > A most interesting thing - they are both named "extuninstaller.xpi", so
    > only THAT installs when you try downloading BOTH.
    >
    > I allowed it to install and restarted SM 1.1....
    >
    > Any suggestions? I don't see any way to make it start.
    >
    > Or can it? Did someone screw up?
    >
    > Go to the site and start a download on both to see what I mean.
    >
    > DoctorBill

    Extension Manager 2.0 is extuninstaller.xpi.
    Extension Uninstaller API 2.1 is extuninstallapi.xpi

    I lined them up to show they are not really named the same.

    --
    David E. Ross

    Natural foods can be harmful: Look at all the
    people who die of natural causes.

  6. Re: How do you remove an "Extension" ?

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > I loaded "Stock Ticker" and it never quite works with SM 1.1 - so I
    > would like to remove it.....don't know how to do it safely.
    >
    > DoctorBill

    I just remove the XPI, component(s) and chrome.rdf and start SeaMonkey
    to regenerate chrome.rdf

    --
    Michael Vincent van Rantwijk
    - MultiZilla Project Team Lead

  7. Re: How do you remove an "Extension" ?

    Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla wrote:
    > DoctorBill wrote:
    >> I loaded "Stock Ticker" and it never quite works with SM 1.1 - so I
    >> would like to remove it.....don't know how to do it safely.
    >>
    >> DoctorBill

    > I just remove the XPI, component(s) and chrome.rdf and start SeaMonkey
    > to regenerate chrome.rdf

    That would work only if you had the one extension

    go instead and look for any and all components that re related to the
    desired extension. Most of the time there is a file with the name
    plus.jar added to it. I've found that especially on UA Switcher if there
    is an update the only way to update without problems is remove the UA
    Switcher jar file before letting the online installer to attempt to
    install the new extension. I'll be gald when SM gets an addons Feature.

  8. Re: How do you remove an "Extension" ?

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla wrote:
    >> DoctorBill wrote:
    >>> I loaded "Stock Ticker" and it never quite works with SM 1.1 - so I
    >>> would like to remove it.....don't know how to do it safely.
    >>>
    >>> DoctorBill

    >> I just remove the XPI, component(s) and chrome.rdf and start SeaMonkey
    >> to regenerate chrome.rdf
    >>

    > That would work only if you had the one extension
    >
    > go instead and look for any and all components that re related to the
    > desired extension. Most of the time there is a file with the name
    > plus.jar added to it. I've found that especially on UA Switcher if there
    > is an update the only way to update without problems is remove the UA
    > Switcher jar file before letting the online installer to attempt to
    > install the new extension. I'll be gald when SM gets an addons Feature.

    the last time I did what Mikie suggested [removing the
    chrome directory], I screwed everything up. Thats why I
    prefer to do with the extension manager and uninstaller.
    Besides, you may have other extensions that you don't want
    removed. Works better than screwing with the chrome
    directory. Mind you, using the extension doesn't remove
    everything. I removed one extension, but the files and
    certain settings in prefs.js still remain, but the extension
    doesn't show up in the UI

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  9. Re: How do you remove an "Extension" ?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >> Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla wrote:

    >>> I just remove the XPI, component(s) and chrome.rdf and start SeaMonkey
    >>> to regenerate chrome.rdf
    >>>

    >> That would work only if you had the one extension
    >>
    >> go instead and look for any and all components that re related to the
    >> desired extension. Most of the time there is a file with the name
    >> plus.jar added to it. I've found that especially on UA Switcher if there
    >> is an update the only way to update without problems is remove the UA
    >> Switcher jar file before letting the online installer to attempt to
    >> install the new extension. I'll be gald when SM gets an addons Feature.
    >>

    > the last time I did what Mikie suggested [removing the
    > chrome directory], I screwed everything up. Thats why I
    > prefer to do with the extension manager and uninstaller.
    > Besides, you may have other extensions that you don't want
    > removed. Works better than screwing with the chrome
    > directory. Mind you, using the extension doesn't remove
    > everything. I removed one extension, but the files and
    > certain settings in prefs.js still remain, but the extension
    > doesn't show up in the UI

    he told me to remove chrome.rdf and when I tried to put it
    back, things got so screwie, that I had to re-do my entire
    extensions lists.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  10. Re: How do you remove an "Extension" ?

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> DoctorBill wrote:
    >>> I loaded "Stock Ticker" and it never quite works with SM 1.1 - so I
    >>> would like to remove it.....don't know how to do it safely.
    >>>
    >>> DoctorBill

    >> install the extension manager *and* the extension uninstaller:
    >> http://mozmonkey.com/
    >>

    > A most interesting thing - they are both named "extuninstaller.xpi", so
    > only THAT installs when you try downloading BOTH.
    >
    > I allowed it to install and restarted SM 1.1....
    >
    > Any suggestions? I don't see any way to make it start.
    >
    > Or can it? Did someone screw up?
    >
    > Go to the site and start a download on both to see what I mean.
    >
    > DoctorBill

    I had trouble too installing that extension. The key for it to work is
    to install the right extuninstallapi.xpi file. I eventually found two
    versions of it (as another poster explains wisely) and one of them
    worked for me (not positive which one). I can email both to you if
    desired. Messing with chrome.rdf is a recipee for disaster unless you
    are an expert.

    --
    John Doue

  11. Re: How do you remove an "Extension" ?

    David E. Ross wrote:
    > On 10/8/2007 6:00 AM, DoctorBill wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> install the extension manager *and* the extension uninstaller:
    >>> http://mozmonkey.com/
    >>>

    >> A most interesting thing - they are both named "extuninstaller.xpi", so
    >> only THAT installs when you try downloading BOTH.
    >>
    >> I allowed it to install and restarted SM 1.1....
    >>
    >> Any suggestions? I don't see any way to make it start.
    >>
    >> Or can it? Did someone screw up?
    >>
    >> Go to the site and start a download on both to see what I mean.
    >>
    >> DoctorBill
    >>

    > Extension Manager 2.0 is extuninstaller.xpi.
    > Extension Uninstaller API 2.1 is extuninstallapi.xpi
    >
    > I lined them up to show they are not really named the same.

    I am embarrassed...now that you point them out! We see what we want to see.

    I downloaded both (to keep them in my downloads directory as xpi's) and
    then had each 'installed' by the web site.

    I then restarted SM, went to tools and clicked 'Extension Manager',
    removed "stock ticker" - there were two versions! I removed both.
    Save backups by the remover window.

    Restarted and "Stock Ticker" is *still* in the Tools menu but does not
    respond when clicked. The stock ticker data still shows up in the bar
    at the bottom!

    So - what has been accomplished by this is that I have removed *any
    control* I had over "Stock Ticker", but it is still there doing its
    thing....nice.

    It no longer shows up in the Extension Manager menu, either. Cute.

    Now what?

    This is fun.

    DoctorBill
    --
    The stuff we haven't figured out yet . . . goes on forever
    and the answer to everything is right in front of your face.

  12. Re: How do you remove an "Extension" ?

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > David E. Ross wrote:

    >>> A most interesting thing - they are both named "extuninstaller.xpi",
    >>> so only THAT installs when you try downloading BOTH.
    >>>
    >>> I allowed it to install and restarted SM 1.1....
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions? I don't see any way to make it start.
    >>>
    >>> Or can it? Did someone screw up?
    >>>
    >>> Go to the site and start a download on both to see what I mean.
    >>>
    >>> DoctorBill
    >>>

    >> Extension Manager 2.0 is extuninstaller.xpi.
    >> Extension Uninstaller API 2.1 is extuninstallapi.xpi
    >>
    >> I lined them up to show they are not really named the same.
    >>

    > I am embarrassed...now that you point them out! We see what we want to
    > see.
    >
    > I downloaded both (to keep them in my downloads directory as xpi's) and
    > then had each 'installed' by the web site.
    >
    > I then restarted SM, went to tools and clicked 'Extension Manager',
    > removed "stock ticker" - there were two versions! I removed both.
    > Save backups by the remover window.
    >
    > Restarted and "Stock Ticker" is *still* in the Tools menu but does not
    > respond when clicked. The stock ticker data still shows up in the bar
    > at the bottom!
    >
    > So - what has been accomplished by this is that I have removed *any
    > control* I had over "Stock Ticker", but it is still there doing its
    > thing....nice.
    >
    > It no longer shows up in the Extension Manager menu, either. Cute.
    >
    > Now what?
    >
    > This is fun.
    >
    > DoctorBill

    I went to my Mozilla directory to the Chrome subdir and found the
    uninstaller *backups* the Extension Manager remover created. jar files
    in the backup subdirs.

    A "txt" file is also in there explaining how to 'revert back' in case of
    troubles.

    I had two stockticker extensions (didn't know that when I started this)
    - "StockTicker" and "AlphaTicker" - both are backed up in an "uninstall"
    subdir.

    STOCKTICKER is what appears in the Tools menu. Still there - no control
    now.

    I suppose AlphaTicker was interfering with StockTicker - or vice versa?

    SM seems to run well - no *new* problems appearing other than no control
    over stockticker now.

    DoctorBill

    --
    The stuff we haven't figured out yet . . . goes on forever
    and the answer to everything is right in front of your face.

  13. Re: How do you remove an "Extension" ?

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > DoctorBill wrote:
    >> David E. Ross wrote:

    >>> Extension Manager 2.0 is extuninstaller.xpi.
    >>> Extension Uninstaller API 2.1 is extuninstallapi.xpi
    >>>
    >>> I lined them up to show they are not really named the same.
    >>>

    >> I am embarrassed...now that you point them out! We see what we want
    >> to see.
    >>
    >> I downloaded both (to keep them in my downloads directory as xpi's)
    >> and then had each 'installed' by the web site.
    >>
    >> I then restarted SM, went to tools and clicked 'Extension Manager',
    >> removed "stock ticker" - there were two versions! I removed both.
    >> Save backups by the remover window.
    >>
    >> Restarted and "Stock Ticker" is *still* in the Tools menu but does not
    >> respond when clicked. The stock ticker data still shows up in the bar
    >> at the bottom!
    >>
    >> So - what has been accomplished by this is that I have removed *any
    >> control* I had over "Stock Ticker", but it is still there doing its
    >> thing....nice.
    >>
    >> It no longer shows up in the Extension Manager menu, either. Cute.
    >>
    >> Now what?
    >>
    >> This is fun.
    >>
    >> DoctorBill

    > I went to my Mozilla directory to the Chrome subdir and found the
    > uninstaller *backups* the Extension Manager remover created. jar files
    > in the backup subdirs.
    >
    > A "txt" file is also in there explaining how to 'revert back' in case of
    > troubles.
    >
    > I had two stockticker extensions (didn't know that when I started this)
    > - "StockTicker" and "AlphaTicker" - both are backed up in an "uninstall"
    > subdir.
    >
    > STOCKTICKER is what appears in the Tools menu. Still there - no control
    > now.
    >
    > I suppose AlphaTicker was interfering with StockTicker - or vice versa?
    >
    > SM seems to run well - no *new* problems appearing other than no control
    > over stockticker now.
    >
    > DoctorBill

    In the kind of situation, one approach would be:

    -----First make sure there no remnant files of the unwanted extensions
    in any SM directories and see if this takes care of the problem. Chances
    are it will not, but no harm in trying. I guess the problem comes from
    the fact the chrome.rdf file still contains mentions of the unwanted
    extensions.

    Making sure SM is closed, i would make a backup copy of chrome.rdf and
    open the file with a text editor. Search for the names of the unwanted
    extensions. Before you delete anything, try to make sure you understand
    the structure of the rdf file. Then, delete the lines which include a
    mention of the unwanted extension, save and restart SM. Do not attempt
    to run anything, just look if the unwanted references in the menus are gone.

    If the problem is solved, good for you. Otherwise, restart from scratch
    after having copied back the backup chrome.rdf.

    Reinstalling the unwanted extensions unfortunately and removing them
    again would not, imho, solve the problem but mess up further chrome.rdf.

    ------ The cleanest approach, and safest approach, probably is to
    uninstall SM, cleaning its directory and reinstall it. As you know, this
    will not affect your profile(s) and it would allow you to restart from a
    clean slate. Then install first the uninstall extension, add one
    extension, and make sure the uninstall extension does work properly.
    Then configure back SM the way you want, with only the desired extensions.

    Take care.
    --
    John Doue

  14. Re: How do you remove an "Extension" ?

    John Doue wrote:
> [...]

    > mention of the unwanted extension, save and restart SM. Do not attempt
    > to run anything, just look if the unwanted references in the menus are
    > gone.
    >
    > If the problem is solved, good for you. Otherwise, restart from scratch
    > after having copied back the backup chrome.rdf.
    >
    > Reinstalling the unwanted extensions unfortunately and removing them
    > again would not, imho, solve the problem but mess up further chrome.rdf.
    >
    > ------ The cleanest approach, and safest approach, probably is to
    > uninstall SM, cleaning its directory and reinstall it. As you know, this
    > will not affect your profile(s) and it would allow you to restart from a
    > clean slate. Then install first the uninstall extension, add one
    > extension, and make sure the uninstall extension does work properly.
    > Then configure back SM the way you want, with only the desired extensions.

    Yesterday I exited SM and restarted it - Stockticker was still there....

    Today after a *Cold Bootup* Stockticker is *ALL GONE* now.

    A lesson - an *program* exit and restart is not good enough to clear
    everything out.

    I've heard that a warm reboot isn't as good as a cold restart, either in
    terms of clearing crap out of the memory.

    Anyway - all *seems* well now in DoctorBill land.

    DoctorBill

    --
    The stuff we haven't figured out yet . . . goes on forever
    and the answer to everything is right in front of your face.

  15. Re: How do you remove an "Extension" ?

    DoctorBill wrote:

    > John Doue wrote:
    >
    >> DoctorBill wrote:

    >>> I went to my Mozilla directory to the Chrome subdir and found the
    >>> uninstaller *backups* the Extension Manager remover created. jar
    >>> files in the backup subdirs.
    >>>
    >>> A "txt" file is also in there explaining how to 'revert back' in case
    >>> of troubles.
    >>>
    >>> I had two stockticker extensions (didn't know that when I started
    >>> this) - "StockTicker" and "AlphaTicker" - both are backed up in an
    >>> "uninstall" subdir.
    >>>
    >>> STOCKTICKER is what appears in the Tools menu. Still there - no
    >>> control now.
    >>>
    >>> I suppose AlphaTicker was interfering with StockTicker - or vice versa?
    >>>
    >>> SM seems to run well - no *new* problems appearing other than no
    >>> control over stockticker now.
    >>>
    >>> DoctorBill
    >>>

    >> In the kind of situation, one approach would be:
    >>
    >> -----First make sure there no remnant files of the unwanted extensions
    >> in any SM directories and see if this takes care of the problem.
    >> Chances are it will not, but no harm in trying. I guess the problem
    >> comes from the fact the chrome.rdf file still contains mentions of the
    >> unwanted extensions.
    >>
    >> Making sure SM is closed, i would make a backup copy of chrome.rdf and
    >> open the file with a text editor. Search for the names of the unwanted
    >> extensions. Before you delete anything, try to make sure you
    >> understand the structure of the rdf file. Then, delete the lines which
    >> include a mention of the unwanted extension, save and restart SM. Do
    >> not attempt to run anything, just look if the unwanted references in
    >> the menus are gone.
    >>
    >> If the problem is solved, good for you. Otherwise, restart from
    >> scratch after having copied back the backup chrome.rdf.
    >>
    >> Reinstalling the unwanted extensions unfortunately and removing them
    >> again would not, imho, solve the problem but mess up further chrome.rdf.
    >>
    >> ------ The cleanest approach, and safest approach, probably is to
    >> uninstall SM, cleaning its directory and reinstall it. As you know,
    >> this will not affect your profile(s) and it would allow you to restart
    >> from a clean slate. Then install first the uninstall extension, add
    >> one extension, and make sure the uninstall extension does work
    >> properly. Then configure back SM the way you want, with only the
    >> desired extensions.
    >>
    >> Take care.

    > Yesterday I exited SM and restarted it - Stockticker was still there....
    >
    > Today after a *Cold Bootup* Stockticker is *ALL GONE* now.
    >
    > A lesson - an *program* exit and restart is not good enough to clear
    > everything out.
    >
    > I've heard that a warm reboot isn't as good as a cold restart, either in
    > terms of clearing crap out of the memory.
    >
    > Anyway - all *seems* well now in DoctorBill land.
    >
    > DoctorBill

    DocBill, do you use the Quick Launch facility, down near the Start
    button?? If this is the case, then part of SM is still running, so,
    maybe, the extension is not fully removed, until you do a cold start, as
    you found.

    Daniel

  16. Re: How do you remove an "Extension" ?

    Daniel wrote:
    > DoctorBill wrote:
    >
    >> John Doue wrote:

    >>> In the kind of situation, one approach would be:
    >>>
    >>> -----First make sure there no remnant files of the unwanted
    >>> extensions in any SM directories and see if this takes care of the
    >>> problem. Chances are it will not, but no harm in trying. I guess the
    >>> problem comes from the fact the chrome.rdf file still contains
    >>> mentions of the unwanted extensions.
    >>>
    >>> Making sure SM is closed, i would make a backup copy of chrome.rdf
    >>> and open the file with a text editor. Search for the names of the
    >>> unwanted extensions. Before you delete anything, try to make sure you
    >>> understand the structure of the rdf file. Then, delete the lines
    >>> which include a mention of the unwanted extension, save and restart
    >>> SM. Do not attempt to run anything, just look if the unwanted
    >>> references in the menus are gone.
    >>>
    >>> If the problem is solved, good for you. Otherwise, restart from
    >>> scratch after having copied back the backup chrome.rdf.
    >>>
    >>> Reinstalling the unwanted extensions unfortunately and removing them
    >>> again would not, imho, solve the problem but mess up further chrome.rdf.
    >>>
    >>> ------ The cleanest approach, and safest approach, probably is to
    >>> uninstall SM, cleaning its directory and reinstall it. As you know,
    >>> this will not affect your profile(s) and it would allow you to
    >>> restart from a clean slate. Then install first the uninstall
    >>> extension, add one extension, and make sure the uninstall extension
    >>> does work properly. Then configure back SM the way you want, with
    >>> only the desired extensions.
    >>>
    >>> Take care.

    >> Yesterday I exited SM and restarted it - Stockticker was still there....
    >>
    >> Today after a *Cold Bootup* Stockticker is *ALL GONE* now.
    >>
    >> A lesson - an *program* exit and restart is not good enough to clear
    >> everything out.
    >>
    >> I've heard that a warm reboot isn't as good as a cold restart, either
    >> in terms of clearing crap out of the memory.
    >>
    >> Anyway - all *seems* well now in DoctorBill land.
    >>
    >> DoctorBill
    >>

    > DocBill, do you use the Quick Launch facility, down near the Start
    > button?? If this is the case, then part of SM is still running, so,
    > maybe, the extension is not fully removed, until you do a cold start, as
    > you found.
    >
    > Daniel

    No...I killed the 'quick start' thingamabob a long time ago.

    I usually start the computer and get on the Internet - do my thing(s) -
    get off and don't go back until much later.

    So I figured the Quick Start was just using up CPU time and resources
    unnecessarily while running in the background.

    Why run it if you don't need it?

    So - I just checked again to make sure the extension hadn't reappeared -
    Stock Ticker is gone permanently....

    Thanks guys! These Windows XP programs are so hideously complex and
    then the various program *interaction* complexities are MULTIPLIED to
    them - such that it is almost impossible for an unwashed, normal caveman
    type like me to keep things running.

    I know many folks who have NO CLUE about their compukers workings.

    They can barely boot up without messing it up....how they survive these
    little problems.....????

    It is interesting, though - *most* older folks are computer helpless and
    the young folks are more knowledgeable. What is going to be the new
    technology that us folk will be helpless on?

    I just bought a *FOUR GIGABYTE* memory stick for $28 that is smaller
    than the first 256MB memory stick I bought for $45 about 6 moths ago!

    Now Eight Gigabyte sticks are on sale for about $60...Lord!
    I just wish the Enterprise would show up in orbit and take us into the
    Space Age! NASA and Congress won't! Maybe China or Japan or India will
    have enough foresight to do it....we're too concerned with Rock Star's
    large breasted wive's next lover....

    DoctorBill
    --
    The stuff we haven't figured out yet . . . goes on forever
    and the answer to everything is right in front of your face.

+ Reply to Thread