-profile switch error in 2.0? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on -profile switch error in 2.0? - Mozilla ; I tried using the -profile switch, but when I did, it consistantly tells me that an instance is already running. -- SeaMonkey 1.1.3 Multizilla 1.8.3.3a Adblock Plus 0.7.5.1 Googlebar 0.9.5 Image Zoom 0.3 Noscript 1.1.6.11 Nuke Anything Enhanced 0.54 SecurePassword ...

  1. -profile switch error in 2.0?

    --
    SeaMonkey 1.1.3
    Multizilla 1.8.3.3a

    (Windows XP)

  2. Re: -profile switch error in 2.0?

    Trel Smith wrote:
    > I tried using the -profile switch, but when I did, it consistantly tells
    > me that an instance is already running.

    when you close a windows program, do you use the big X in
    the upper right hand corner. If so [or if not], then that
    might explain the problem. SM didn't close properly and its
    still running in the background eventhough you can't see it.
    If that is the case, then bring up the task manager
    [ctrl+alt+del] and look under Processes and end SM there.
    Now it should work.

    Another theory is are you using the SM QuickLaunch option?
    If so, then SM is still running. Turn it off.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: -profile switch error in 2.0?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Trel Smith wrote:
    >> I tried using the -profile switch, but when I did, it consistantly
    >> tells me that an instance is already running.

    > when you close a windows program, do you use the big X in the upper
    > right hand corner. If so [or if not], then that might explain the
    > problem. SM didn't close properly and its still running in the
    > background eventhough you can't see it. If that is the case, then bring
    > up the task manager [ctrl+alt+del] and look under Processes and end SM
    > there. Now it should work.
    >
    > Another theory is are you using the SM QuickLaunch option? If so, then
    > SM is still running. Turn it off.

    no, I'm not doing any of that.

    I reboot and navigate to where I unzipped and via command line go
    seamonkey.exe -profile /sm_test

    I then get the error about an instance already running

    I say ok, and then do
    seamonkey.exe

    I do not get the error and it starts using the default profile

    --
    SeaMonkey 1.1.3
    Multizilla 1.8.3.3a
    Adblock Plus 0.7.5.1
    Googlebar 0.9.5
    Image Zoom 0.3
    Noscript 1.1.6.11
    Nuke Anything Enhanced 0.54
    SecurePassword Generator 0.5.4

    (Windows XP)

  4. Re: -profile switch error in 2.0?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Another theory is are you using the SM QuickLaunch option? If so, then
    > SM is still running. Turn it off.

    There is no QuickLaunch on trunk.

    Robert Kaiser

  5. Re: -profile switch error in 2.0?

    Robert Kaiser wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Another theory is are you using the SM QuickLaunch option? If so, then
    >> SM is still running. Turn it off.

    > There is no QuickLaunch on trunk.
    >
    > Robert Kaiser

    fine, but the OP didn't say he was using a trunk version,
    did he? And his sig file says he's using SeaMonkey 1.1.3.
    But his UA says Thunderbird

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  6. Re: -profile switch error in 2.0?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > fine, but the OP didn't say he was using a trunk version, did he? And
    > his sig file says he's using SeaMonkey 1.1.3. But his UA says Thunderbird

    ....and the subject of his post says "2.0"

    --
    Andrew Schultz
    ajschult@verizon.net

  7. Re: -profile switch error in 2.0?

    Andrew Schultz wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> fine, but the OP didn't say he was using a trunk version, did he? And
    >> his sig file says he's using SeaMonkey 1.1.3. But his UA says Thunderbird

    > ...and the subject of his post says "2.0"

    Oh, you're right. I didn't read the subject line. As a
    matter of fact, a lot of people don't read the subject
    lines. Thats why its better to place everything within the
    body of the message.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  8. Re: -profile switch error in 2.0?

    On 09/20/07 07:26, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Andrew Schultz wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> fine, but the OP didn't say he was using a trunk version, did he? And
    >>> his sig file says he's using SeaMonkey 1.1.3. But his UA says Thunderbird

    >> ...and the subject of his post says "2.0"
    >>

    > Oh, you're right. I didn't read the subject line. As a
    > matter of fact, a lot of people don't read the subject
    > lines. Thats why its better to place everything within the
    > body of the message.

    What? You know for a fact that a lot of people don't read the Subject line???
    That must be quite a responsibility for you to stay on top of ;-)

  9. Re: -profile switch error in 2.0?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Oh, you're right. I didn't read the subject line. As a matter of fact,
    > a lot of people don't read the subject lines. Thats why its better to
    > place everything within the body of the message.

    Well, it's not unusual for people to put important and basic information
    in the subject line that put the message body in the right context.
    That's why it's better to read subject lines.

    SeaMonkey happily shows the subject in the thread pane (by default even!).

    --
    Andrew Schultz
    ajschult@verizon.net
    http://www.sens.buffalo.edu/~ajs42/

  10. Re: -profile switch error in 2.0?

    Robert Kaiser wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Another theory is are you using the SM QuickLaunch option? If so, then
    >> SM is still running. Turn it off.

    > There is no QuickLaunch on trunk.
    >
    > Robert Kaiser

    Any idea what it might be then. Apparantly this not working is the main
    reason that there probably won't be a portable Seamonkey.

    --
    SeaMonkey 1.1.3
    Multizilla 1.8.3.3a
    Adblock Plus 0.7.5.1
    Googlebar 0.9.5
    Image Zoom 0.3
    Noscript 1.1.6.11
    Nuke Anything Enhanced 0.54
    SecurePassword Generator 0.5.4

    (Windows XP)

  11. Re: -profile switch error in 2.0?

    On 9/20/2007 2:54 AM, Trel Smith wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Trel Smith wrote:
    >>> I tried using the -profile switch, but when I did, it consistantly
    >>> tells me that an instance is already running.

    >> when you close a windows program, do you use the big X in the upper
    >> right hand corner. If so [or if not], then that might explain the
    >> problem. SM didn't close properly and its still running in the
    >> background eventhough you can't see it. If that is the case, then
    >> bring up the task manager [ctrl+alt+del] and look under Processes and
    >> end SM there. Now it should work.
    >>
    >> Another theory is are you using the SM QuickLaunch option? If so, then
    >> SM is still running. Turn it off.
    >>

    > no, I'm not doing any of that.
    >
    > I reboot and navigate to where I unzipped and via command line go
    > seamonkey.exe -profile /sm_test

    I would expect it's attempting to start your default profile in your
    default directory

    -profile is to point to a non-default _directory_ location
    -P specifies a profile _name_

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Command_line_arguments

  12. Re: -profile switch error in 2.0?

    Wayne Mery wrote:
    > On 9/20/2007 2:54 AM, Trel Smith wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>
    >>> when you close a windows program, do you use the big X in the upper
    >>> right hand corner. If so [or if not], then that might explain the
    >>> problem. SM didn't close properly and its still running in the
    >>> background eventhough you can't see it. If that is the case, then
    >>> bring up the task manager [ctrl+alt+del] and look under Processes and
    >>> end SM there. Now it should work.
    >>>
    >>> Another theory is are you using the SM QuickLaunch option? If so,
    >>> then SM is still running. Turn it off.
    >>>

    >> no, I'm not doing any of that.
    >>
    >> I reboot and navigate to where I unzipped and via command line go
    >> seamonkey.exe -profile /sm_test

    > I would expect it's attempting to start your default profile in your
    > default directory
    >
    > -profile is to point to a non-default _directory_ location
    > -P specifies a profile _name_
    >
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Command_line_arguments

    and as I said, I'm using -profile /sm_test
    which is to say, I'm trying to make it use a profile from the relative
    directory /sm_test

    --
    SeaMonkey 1.1.3
    Multizilla 1.8.3.3a
    Adblock Plus 0.7.5.1
    Googlebar 0.9.5
    Image Zoom 0.3
    Noscript 1.1.6.11
    Nuke Anything Enhanced 0.54
    SecurePassword Generator 0.5.4

    (Windows XP)

  13. Re: -profile switch error in 2.0?

    Trel Smith wrote:
    > I tried using the -profile switch, but when I did, it consistantly tells
    > me that an instance is already running.

    I found a 'solution'

    seamonkey.exe -profile \smtest
    returns an error about it being already running (even in combination
    with: SET MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1)

    However, it works if I do
    seamonkey.exe -profile .\smtest

    --
    SeaMonkey 1.1.3
    Multizilla 1.8.3.3a
    Adblock Plus 0.7.5.1
    Googlebar 0.9.5
    Image Zoom 0.3
    Noscript 1.1.6.11
    Nuke Anything Enhanced 0.54
    SecurePassword Generator 0.5.4

    (Windows XP)

  14. Re: -profile switch error in 2.0?

    On 9/21/2007 3:53 AM, Trel Smith wrote:
    > Trel Smith wrote:
    >> I tried using the -profile switch, but when I did, it consistantly
    >> tells me that an instance is already running.

    > I found a 'solution'
    >
    > seamonkey.exe -profile \smtest
    > returns an error about it being already running (even in combination
    > with: SET MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1)

    Because \smtest (or \sm_test, you changed the name?) didn't exist
    mozilla defaulted to your default profile in your default profile
    directory. Command line values and targets which are incorrect or
    non-existent are, in many cases, unfortunately ignored by mozilla and
    don't even result in an accurate. Multiple bugs.

    > However, it works if I do
    > seamonkey.exe -profile .\smtest

    accuracy counts

  15. Re: -profile switch error in 2.0?

    On 09/21/07 00:49, Trel Smith wrote:
    > Wayne Mery wrote:

    >>> no, I'm not doing any of that.
    >>>
    >>> I reboot and navigate to where I unzipped and via command line go
    >>> seamonkey.exe -profile /sm_test

    >> I would expect it's attempting to start your default profile in your
    >> default directory
    >>
    >> -profile is to point to a non-default _directory_ location
    >> -P specifies a profile _name_
    >>
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Command_line_arguments

    > and as I said, I'm using -profile /sm_test
    > which is to say, I'm trying to make it use a profile from the relative
    > directory /sm_test

    You say you want to use a "relative" directory, but then you provide
    an "absolute" path. Are you sure you have that right?

    If the "sm_test" directory is in the current directory, then you should
    specify it as "./sm_test" (among other ways) and not "/sm_test".

    "/sm_test" indicates that the "sm_test" directory will be found in the
    root of the current drive.

  16. Re: -profile switch error in 2.0?

    On 09/21/07 09:46, Trel Smith wrote:
    > Mark Hansen wrote:

    >>> and as I said, I'm using -profile /sm_test
    >>> which is to say, I'm trying to make it use a profile from the relative
    >>> directory /sm_test
    >>>

    >> You say you want to use a "relative" directory, but then you provide
    >> an "absolute" path. Are you sure you have that right?
    >>
    >> If the "sm_test" directory is in the current directory, then you should
    >> specify it as "./sm_test" (among other ways) and not "/sm_test".
    >>
    >> "/sm_test" indicates that the "sm_test" directory will be found in the
    >> root of the current drive.
    >>

    > Windows in this case, not Linux.

    Windows still supports both absolute and relative paths. To be clear,
    the paths "sm_test", "/sm_test" and "./sm_test" are the same *only* if
    your currently in the root of the current drive.

    Note: Although CMD shells require you to specify the path separator
    character as a backslash, many applications (as well as other shells)
    do not.

  17. Re: -profile switch error in 2.0?

+ Reply to Thread