Transferring Inbox Msgs from Laptop to Desktop Machine - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Transferring Inbox Msgs from Laptop to Desktop Machine - Mozilla ; I finally got back to this (Subject) problem. Here's what I did. I copied from the laptop the inbox and inbox.msf to my thumb drive as laptop-inbox and laptop-inbox.msf. I then created under Inbox on my desktop PC a folder ...

  1. Transferring Inbox Msgs from Laptop to Desktop Machine

    I finally got back to this (Subject) problem. Here's what I did.

    I copied from the laptop the inbox and inbox.msf to my thumb drive as
    laptop-inbox and laptop-inbox.msf.

    I then created under Inbox on my desktop PC a folder called laptop_inbox. I
    then moved on my desktop laptop and laptop.msf files to blaptop and
    blaptop.msf. Finally, I moved from the thumb drive the two files above as
    laptop_inbox and laptop_inbox.msf into the Mail folder.

    In the Mail folder all looks well, but when I try to access laptop_inbox, I
    do not see any messages. I tried exiting from all SM windows but it didn't
    help. Maybe I need to reboot?

  2. Re: Transferring Inbox Msgs from Laptop to Desktop Machine

    On 09/14/2007 12:13 PM, W. Watson wrote:
    > I finally got back to this (Subject) problem. Here's what I did.
    >
    > I copied from the laptop the inbox and inbox.msf to my thumb drive as
    > laptop-inbox and laptop-inbox.msf.
    >
    > I then created under Inbox on my desktop PC a folder called laptop_inbox. I
    > then moved on my desktop laptop and laptop.msf files to blaptop and
    > blaptop.msf. Finally, I moved from the thumb drive the two files above as
    > laptop_inbox and laptop_inbox.msf into the Mail folder.
    >
    > In the Mail folder all looks well, but when I try to access laptop_inbox, I
    > do not see any messages. I tried exiting from all SM windows but it didn't
    > help. Maybe I need to reboot?

    No. Just close SM and delete the .msf files. Reopen SM and in Mail &
    Newsgroups Account Settings make sure in "server settings" you have the
    correct path to your local directory.

  3. Re: Transferring Inbox Msgs from Laptop to Desktop Machine

    On 09/14/07 13:08, NoOp wrote:
    > On 09/14/2007 12:13 PM, W. Watson wrote:
    >> I finally got back to this (Subject) problem. Here's what I did.
    >>
    >> I copied from the laptop the inbox and inbox.msf to my thumb drive as
    >> laptop-inbox and laptop-inbox.msf.
    >>
    >> I then created under Inbox on my desktop PC a folder called laptop_inbox. I
    >> then moved on my desktop laptop and laptop.msf files to blaptop and
    >> blaptop.msf. Finally, I moved from the thumb drive the two files above as
    >> laptop_inbox and laptop_inbox.msf into the Mail folder.
    >>
    >> In the Mail folder all looks well, but when I try to access laptop_inbox, I
    >> do not see any messages. I tried exiting from all SM windows but it didn't
    >> help. Maybe I need to reboot?

    > No. Just close SM and delete the .msf files. Reopen SM and in Mail &
    > Newsgroups Account Settings make sure in "server settings" you have the
    > correct path to your local directory.

    I think the fact that messages have been deleted is kept in the msf file,
    so he probably needs to be sure to compact the inbox on the source machine
    before copying it to the target machine.

    Then, rather than copying and deleting the msf files, just don't copy them ;-)

  4. Re: Transferring Inbox Msgs from Laptop to Desktop Machine

    On 09/14/2007 01:31 PM, Mark Hansen wrote:
    > On 09/14/07 13:08, NoOp wrote:

    >> No. Just close SM and delete the .msf files. Reopen SM and in Mail &
    >> Newsgroups Account Settings make sure in "server settings" you have the
    >> correct path to your local directory.
    >>

    > I think the fact that messages have been deleted is kept in the msf file,
    > so he probably needs to be sure to compact the inbox on the source machine
    > before copying it to the target machine.
    >
    > Then, rather than copying and deleting the msf files, just don't copy them ;-)

    Good points. But now that he has them copied over, he should delete the
    copied msf files. Once he does that he should be able to see his msgs.

  5. Re: Transferring Inbox Msgs from Laptop to Desktop Machine

    On 09/14/07 13:57, NoOp wrote:
    > On 09/14/2007 01:31 PM, Mark Hansen wrote:
    >> On 09/14/07 13:08, NoOp wrote:

    >>> No. Just close SM and delete the .msf files. Reopen SM and in Mail &
    >>> Newsgroups Account Settings make sure in "server settings" you have the
    >>> correct path to your local directory.
    >>>

    >> I think the fact that messages have been deleted is kept in the msf file,
    >> so he probably needs to be sure to compact the inbox on the source machine
    >> before copying it to the target machine.
    >>
    >> Then, rather than copying and deleting the msf files, just don't copy them ;-)
    >>

    > Good points. But now that he has them copied over, he should delete the
    > copied msf files. Once he does that he should be able to see his msgs.

    Well, if he didn't compact the folder before he copied it, he's probably
    going to need to copy it again - else he's going to see a lot of previously
    deleted files after removing the msf file.

    At least, that's where I was driving... ;-)

  6. Re: Transferring Inbox Msgs from Laptop to Desktop Machine

    Mark Hansen wrote:
    > On 09/14/07 13:57, NoOp wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> I think the fact that messages have been deleted is kept in the msf file,
    >>> so he probably needs to be sure to compact the inbox on the source machine
    >>> before copying it to the target machine.
    >>>
    >>> Then, rather than copying and deleting the msf files, just don't copy them ;-)
    >>>

    >> Good points. But now that he has them copied over, he should delete the
    >> copied msf files. Once he does that he should be able to see his msgs.
    >>

    > Well, if he didn't compact the folder before he copied it, he's probably
    > going to need to copy it again - else he's going to see a lot of previously
    > deleted files after removing the msf file.
    >
    > At least, that's where I was driving... ;-)

    I removed (renamed) the msf file, and restarted SM. The msf file shows 0
    bytes. I do not see the messages listed. The original file is 204K. The msg
    file is about 30M. I probably did not delete many if any msgs from the
    original laptop file, since I realized I planned to try to put it on my
    desktop. Now that I think about it, I probably deleted any spam msgs from
    the laptop.

    Here're some lines from the msf file:

    //
    < <(a=c)> // (f=iso-8859-1)
    (80=ns:msg:db:row:scope:msgs:all)(81=subject)(82=s ender)(83=message-id)
    (84=references)(85=recipients)(86=date)(87=size)(8 8=flags)(89=priority)
    (8A=label)(8B=statusOfset)(8C=numLines)(8D=ccList) (8E=msgThreadId)
    (8F=threadId)(90=threadFlags)(91=threadNewestMsgDa te)(92=children)
    (93=unreadChildren)(94=threadSubject)(95=numRefs)( 96=msgCharSet)
    (97=ns:msg:db:table:kind:msgs)(98=ns:msg:db:table: kind:thread)
    (99=ns:msg:db:table:kind:allthreads)
    .... and some of the last lines.

    @$${A{@
    <(E2D=Sat Sep 15 23:13:30 2007)>
    [1:^9F(^B7^E2D)]
    @$$}A}@

    @$${B{@
    <(E2E=Sun Sep 16 07:13:57 2007)>
    [1:^9F(^B7^E2E)]
    @$$}B}@

    @$${C{@
    @$$}C}@

    Well, that's interesting. I see Sun Sep 16 a few lines from the end. How'd
    that happen? I may have attempted access of the beleaguered msgs this
    morning, but certainly didn't see any displayed.

  7. Re: Transferring Inbox Msgs from Laptop to Desktop Machine

    On 09/16/2007 10:58 AM, W. Watson wrote:
    > Mark Hansen wrote:

    >>> Good points. But now that he has them copied over, he should delete the
    >>> copied msf files. Once he does that he should be able to see his msgs.
    >>>

    >> Well, if he didn't compact the folder before he copied it, he's probably
    >> going to need to copy it again - else he's going to see a lot of previously
    >> deleted files after removing the msf file.
    >>
    >> At least, that's where I was driving... ;-)

    > I removed (renamed) the msf file, and restarted SM. The msf file shows 0
    > bytes. I do not see the messages listed. The original file is 204K. The msg
    > file is about 30M. I probably did not delete many if any msgs from the
    > original laptop file, since I realized I planned to try to put it on my
    > desktop. Now that I think about it, I probably deleted any spam msgs from
    > the laptop.

    Did you by chance also copy your prefs.js over from the other machine?
    If so edit your prefs.js file in a text editor (notepad etc). Make sure
    that all of your paths are correct and your .slt matches your new
    machines xyz.slt. For instance, look for:

    user_pref("mail.root., user_pref("mail.server., etc., then make sure
    they point to the right directory.

  8. Re: Transferring Inbox Msgs from Laptop to Desktop Machine

    W. Watson wrote:
    > Mark Hansen wrote:

    >>> Good points. But now that he has them copied over, he should delete the
    >>> copied msf files. Once he does that he should be able to see his msgs.
    >>>

    >> Well, if he didn't compact the folder before he copied it, he's probably
    >> going to need to copy it again - else he's going to see a lot of
    >> previously
    >> deleted files after removing the msf file.
    >>
    >> At least, that's where I was driving... ;-)

    > I removed (renamed) the msf file, and restarted SM. The msf file shows 0
    > bytes. I do not see the messages listed. The original file is 204K. The
    > msg file is about 30M. I probably did not delete many if any msgs from
    > the original laptop file, since I realized I planned to try to put it on
    > my desktop. Now that I think about it, I probably deleted any spam msgs
    > from the laptop.
    >
    > Here're some lines from the msf file:
    >
    > //
    > < <(a=c)> // (f=iso-8859-1)
    > (80=ns:msg:db:row:scope:msgs:all)(81=subject)(82=s ender)(83=message-id)
    > (84=references)(85=recipients)(86=date)(87=size)(8 8=flags)(89=priority)
    > (8A=label)(8B=statusOfset)(8C=numLines)(8D=ccList) (8E=msgThreadId)
    > (8F=threadId)(90=threadFlags)(91=threadNewestMsgDa te)(92=children)
    > (93=unreadChildren)(94=threadSubject)(95=numRefs)( 96=msgCharSet)
    > (97=ns:msg:db:table:kind:msgs)(98=ns:msg:db:table: kind:thread)
    > (99=ns:msg:db:table:kind:allthreads)
    > ... and some of the last lines.
    >
    > @$${A{@
    > <(E2D=Sat Sep 15 23:13:30 2007)>
    > [1:^9F(^B7^E2D)]
    > @$$}A}@
    >
    > @$${B{@
    > <(E2E=Sun Sep 16 07:13:57 2007)>
    > [1:^9F(^B7^E2E)]
    > @$$}B}@
    >
    > @$${C{@
    > @$$}C}@
    >
    > Well, that's interesting. I see Sun Sep 16 a few lines from the end.
    > How'd that happen? I may have attempted access of the beleaguered msgs
    > this morning, but certainly didn't see any displayed.

    Just adding the first few lines of the current non-msf file:

    From - Thu Jun 07 17:32:38 2007

  9. Re: Transferring Inbox Msgs from Laptop to Desktop Machine

    On 09/16/2007 11:51 AM, W. Watson wrote:

    > Just adding the first few lines of the current non-msf file:

    Why? It doesn't matter to anyone what your msf or non-msf files look
    like. The only thing that matters is: 1) whether you have copied the
    email msgs into the proper folder (minus the .msf files) for your
    current profile, and 2) if your prefs.js file references that directory
    correctly.

    Thats it. There is nothing more to look at.

  10. Re: Transferring Inbox Msgs from Laptop to Desktop Machine

    NoOp wrote:
    > On 09/16/2007 10:58 AM, W. Watson wrote:
    >> Mark Hansen wrote:

    >>> Well, if he didn't compact the folder before he copied it, he's probably
    >>> going to need to copy it again - else he's going to see a lot of previously
    >>> deleted files after removing the msf file.
    >>>
    >>> At least, that's where I was driving... ;-)

    >> I removed (renamed) the msf file, and restarted SM. The msf file shows 0
    >> bytes. I do not see the messages listed. The original file is 204K. The msg
    >> file is about 30M. I probably did not delete many if any msgs from the
    >> original laptop file, since I realized I planned to try to put it on my
    >> desktop. Now that I think about it, I probably deleted any spam msgs from
    >> the laptop.

    > Did you by chance also copy your prefs.js over from the other machine?
    > If so edit your prefs.js file in a text editor (notepad etc). Make sure
    > that all of your paths are correct and your .slt matches your new
    > machines xyz.slt. For instance, look for:
    >
    > user_pref("mail.root., user_pref("mail.server., etc., then make sure
    > they point to the right directory.

    This appears to be what you refer to on the desktop:

    user_pref("mail.server.server11.newsrc.file", "C:\\Documents and
    Settings\\administrator\\Application
    Data\\Mozilla\\Profiles\\default\\admi90mr.slt\\Ne ws\\news.sf.sbcglobal.net.rc")

    It looks OK to me.

    In my
    C:\Documents and Settings\administrator\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\admi90mr.slt\Mail\po p.sbcglobal.yahoo.com\Inbox.sbd

    I do not see any slt files. What are they? Ah, I see one in the path above,
    but it is my only such slt folder.

    So continuing to the laptop, let's see what I turn up.

    Oddly, there is no jprefs file on the laptop. Maybe a java plug-in needs to
    be on that machine for the file to appear?

  11. Re: Transferring Inbox Msgs from Laptop to Desktop Machine

    Ah, I see what happened. Holy, Toledo!

    When I brought the laptop Inbox over to the desktop, I simply copied the two
    files into Inbox of the desktop. That immeidately created a subfolder in the
    main (Mail) Inbox called Inbox. It presently correctly shows all the
    messages from the laptop. I find it interesting that I did not have to
    create a new subfolder Inbox. The simply copying of the Inbox and Inbox.smf
    files into Mail did it.

    Somehow I then created another laptop_Inbox and laptop_Inbox.msf in the same
    Mail folder. They contained all the msgs from the laptop. Cleverly though, I
    created in Mail of the desktop a new folder called laptop_inbox. Note the
    lack of a capital I in the name. This is where my difficulty resided when I
    was not seeing why laptop_inbox contained any msgs. I really don't know if
    that's enough to foul up the use of laptop_Inbox or not, but I do have a
    folder with the laptop msgs, and I can easily transfer them into Inbox of
    the desktop.

    That pretty much closes the case, but only one slight wrinkle remains. It is
    fairly easy to correct. The wrinkle is that my incoming msgs go through a
    filter that distributes them to various folders in Inbox. Just copying the
    laptop msgs into Inbox will not get them distributed. However, this is not
    much of a problem, since it's pretty easy to select them manually and
    redistribute them.

    Of course, for the sake of sanity, I'm going to rename the subfolder Inbox
    as Laptop_Inbox. Wheh! Case closed.

+ Reply to Thread