more zebra strips this time for the email/news application - Mozilla

This is a discussion on more zebra strips this time for the email/news application - Mozilla ; Hi All: The adventures in Zebra Strips continues: for those who want a new look for the Email/News Application, here are some for you. The following script goes into your userChrome.css file, and besure to restart SM for it to ...

  1. more zebra strips this time for the email/news application

    Hi All:

    The adventures in Zebra Strips continues:

    for those who want a new look for the Email/News
    Application, here are some for you. The following script
    goes into your userChrome.css file, and besure to restart SM
    for it to take affect.

    For the Accounts Pane [that the one that lists all your
    accounts and folders like inbox, sent, drafts, etc] you can
    try this. Of course you can change the colors to anything
    that suits you. I'm just experimenting. Just use the script
    between the "XXXX's"

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(odd) {
    -moz-appearance: none !important;
    background-image: none !important;
    background-color: LemonChiffon !important;}

    #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(odd, selected)
    {background-color: yellow !important; }

    #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(even) {
    -moz-appearance: none !important;
    background-image: none !important;
    background-color: NavajoWhite !important;}

    #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(even, selected)
    {background-color: MediumSpringGreen !important; }

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    for those who want zebra strips for the headers/thread pane
    [thats the one where you click on a message] then use the
    script below and between the "YYYY's". Again, use your own
    colors.

    YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

    #threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(odd) {
    -moz-appearance: none !important;
    background-image: none !important;
    background-color: lightblue !important;}

    #threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(odd, selected)
    {background-color: Highlight !important;}

    #threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(even) {
    -moz-appearance: none !important;
    background-image: none !important;
    background-color: PaleGreen !important;}

    #threadTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(even, selected)
    {background-color: Highlight !important;}

    #threadTree {color: red !important;
    font-weight: 500 !important}

    YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

    Have fun!!!! ;-) Of course, I'm always open to suggestions
    on improvements. Now, if only I can get zebra working for
    the bookmark toolbar.

    Grant

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  2. Re: more zebra strips this time for the email/news application

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Hi All:
    >
    > The adventures in Zebra Strips continues:
    > For the Accounts Pane [that the one that lists all your
    > accounts and folders like inbox, sent, drafts, etc] you can
    > try this.

    > for those who want zebra strips for the headers/thread pane
    > [thats the one where you click on a message] then use the
    > script below and between the "YYYY's".

    now that I'm getting some really funky colors going,
    something has happened. I'm not able to see the little gray
    dotted line that goes from the account name to the inbox,
    sent, drafts, and so forth. The same goes for the
    headers/thread pane. I can't see the little dotted gray
    lines within each thread.

    Problem is, I can't figure out the script I would need to
    add to make those dotted gray lines into a solid line and
    thicker. Would anyone know?

    Thanks

    Grant

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: more zebra strips this time for the email/news application

    On 09/08/2007 10:55 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Hi All:
    >>
    >> The adventures in Zebra Strips continues:

    [snip]

    Bit of a nit; I've not seen a zebra strip... however I do know that they
    have *stripes* :-)

  4. Re: more zebra strips this time for the email/news application

    NoOp wrote:
    > On 09/08/2007 10:55 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> Hi All:
    >>>
    >>> The adventures in Zebra Strips continues:

    > [snip]
    >
    > Bit of a nit; I've not seen a zebra strip... however I do know that they
    > have *stripes* :-)

    nit noted. I've been getting very confused at times between
    a narrow band of lines and when one takes their clothes off.
    Some dictionaries say one thing and others say something else.

    Either way, I wish I could figure out what the lines are
    called. I can't find them in DOMI. Either that or I'm
    looking at the wrong thing.

    I had to put that last paragraph in otherswise I might get a
    nastly spam mooose message.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  5. Re: more zebra strips this time for the email/news application

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Hi All:
    >
    > The adventures in Zebra Strips continues:
    >
    > for those who want a new look for the Email/News Application, here are
    > some for you. The following script goes into your userChrome.css file,
    > and besure to restart SM for it to take affect.
    >
    > For the Accounts Pane [that the one that lists all your accounts and
    > folders like inbox, sent, drafts, etc] you can try this. Of course you
    > can change the colors to anything that suits you. I'm just
    > experimenting. Just use the script between the "XXXX's"
    >
    > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    >
    > #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(odd) {
    > -moz-appearance: none !important;
    > background-image: none !important;
    > background-color: LemonChiffon !important;}
    >
    > #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(odd, selected)
    > {background-color: yellow !important; }
    >
    > #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(even) {
    > -moz-appearance: none !important;
    > background-image: none !important;
    > background-color: NavajoWhite !important;}
    >
    > #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(even, selected)
    > {background-color: MediumSpringGreen !important; }
    >
    > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    some of that code seems unnecessary.
    I've gone with:

    /* Stripe the mail accounts (foldertree) pane */

    #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(odd) {
    background-color: #ffffff !important;}

    #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(odd, selected)
    {background-color: #424f63 !important; }

    #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(even) {
    background-color: #c7d0d9 !important;}

    #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(even, selected)
    {background-color: #424f63 !important; }

    and it works fine. I chose colors that match how my SM looks to begin
    with and kinda like it...thanks for the idea PPPH!
    GW

  6. Re: more zebra strips this time for the email/news application

    Geoff Welsh wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Hi All:
    >>
    >> The adventures in Zebra Strips continues:
    >>
    >> for those who want a new look for the Email/News Application, here are
    >> some for you. The following script goes into your userChrome.css file,
    >> and besure to restart SM for it to take affect.
    >>
    >> For the Accounts Pane [that the one that lists all your accounts and
    >> folders like inbox, sent, drafts, etc] you can try this. Of course you
    >> can change the colors to anything that suits you. I'm just
    >> experimenting. Just use the script between the "XXXX's"
    >>
    >> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    >>
    >> #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(odd) {
    >> -moz-appearance: none !important;
    >> background-image: none !important;
    >> background-color: LemonChiffon !important;}
    >>
    >> #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(odd, selected)
    >> {background-color: yellow !important; }
    >>
    >> #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(even) {
    >> -moz-appearance: none !important;
    >> background-image: none !important;
    >> background-color: NavajoWhite !important;}
    >>
    >> #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(even, selected)
    >> {background-color: MediumSpringGreen !important; }
    >>
    >> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    >>

    > some of that code seems unnecessary.
    > I've gone with:
    >
    > /* Stripe the mail accounts (foldertree) pane */
    >
    > #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(odd) {
    > background-color: #ffffff !important;}
    >
    > #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(odd, selected)
    > {background-color: #424f63 !important; }
    >
    > #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(even) {
    > background-color: #c7d0d9 !important;}
    >
    > #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(even, selected)
    > {background-color: #424f63 !important; }
    >
    > and it works fine. I chose colors that match how my SM looks to begin
    > with and kinda like it...thanks for the idea PPPH!
    > GW

    I stripped out those lines, and it does work. Great! I
    just copied the code I took from someone else. Thats all I
    know -- the copy and paste method. Anyways, thanks!!!!

    BTW -- do you know the coding for the little dotted gray
    lines that goes from the Account Name to the inbox, sent,
    drafts, etc? Also, how about those lines in the
    thread/headers pane? I still can't figure them out.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  7. Re: more zebra strips this time for the email/news application

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Geoff Welsh wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> Hi All:
    >>>
    >>> The adventures in Zebra Strips continues:
    >>>
    >>> for those who want a new look for the Email/News Application, here
    >>> are some for you. The following script goes into your userChrome.css
    >>> file, and besure to restart SM for it to take affect.
    >>>
    >>> For the Accounts Pane [that the one that lists all your accounts and
    >>> folders like inbox, sent, drafts, etc] you can try this. Of course
    >>> you can change the colors to anything that suits you. I'm just
    >>> experimenting. Just use the script between the "XXXX's"
    >>>
    >>> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    >>>
    >>> #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(odd) {
    >>> -moz-appearance: none !important;
    >>> background-image: none !important;
    >>> background-color: LemonChiffon !important;}
    >>>
    >>> #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(odd, selected)
    >>> {background-color: yellow !important; }
    >>>
    >>> #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(even) {
    >>> -moz-appearance: none !important;
    >>> background-image: none !important;
    >>> background-color: NavajoWhite !important;}
    >>>
    >>> #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(even, selected)
    >>> {background-color: MediumSpringGreen !important; }
    >>>
    >>> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    >>>

    >> some of that code seems unnecessary.
    >> I've gone with:
    >>
    >> /* Stripe the mail accounts (foldertree) pane */
    >>
    >> #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(odd) {
    >> background-color: #ffffff !important;}
    >>
    >> #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(odd, selected)
    >> {background-color: #424f63 !important; }
    >>
    >> #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(even) {
    >> background-color: #c7d0d9 !important;}
    >>
    >> #folderTree treechildren::-moz-tree-row(even, selected)
    >> {background-color: #424f63 !important; }
    >>
    >> and it works fine. I chose colors that match how my SM looks to begin
    >> with and kinda like it...thanks for the idea PPPH!
    >> GW

    > I stripped out those lines, and it does work. Great! I just copied the
    > code I took from someone else. Thats all I know -- the copy and paste
    > method. Anyways, thanks!!!!
    >
    > BTW -- do you know the coding for the little dotted gray lines that goes
    > from the Account Name to the inbox, sent, drafts, etc? Also, how about
    > those lines in the thread/headers pane? I still can't figure them out.

    No, my knowledge is strictly of CSS, and, btw, I tried a lot of other
    things besides "background-color" for the striping and none of them
    worked. I also (as you've mentioned in other thread) have no clue how
    people use the DOM Inspector to learn anything. The only thing I can do
    with it is type a URL in the text field and click on spots in the page
    that loads in the window.

    GW

  8. Re: more zebra strips this time for the email/news application

    Geoff Welsh wrote:
    > I also (as you've mentioned in other thread) have no clue how
    > people use the DOM Inspector to learn anything. The only thing I can do
    > with it is type a URL in the text field and click on spots in the page
    > that loads in the window.

    You might want to give a try. I didn't
    read it through myself but it looks like a good starting point. If
    you're using MultiZilla or Web Developer Toolbar, you can open DOM
    Inspector with the currently loaded webpage, too. There's also a short
    video at
    which demonstrates the (very) basic usage.

    HTH

    Jens

    --
    Jens Hatlak
    SeaMonkey Trunk Tracker

  9. Re: more zebra strips this time for the email/news application

    Jens Hatlak wrote:
    > Geoff Welsh wrote:
    >> I also (as you've mentioned in other thread) have no clue how
    >> people use the DOM Inspector to learn anything. The only thing I can
    >> do with it is type a URL in the text field and click on spots in the
    >> page that loads in the window.

    > You might want to give a try. I didn't
    > read it through myself but it looks like a good starting point. If
    > you're using MultiZilla or Web Developer Toolbar, you can open DOM
    > Inspector with the currently loaded webpage, too. There's also a short
    > video at
    > which demonstrates the (very) basic usage.

    Additionally, the InspectorWidget extension adds a toolbar button that
    make invoking the DOM Inspector simpler.

    Sailfish - Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    Netscape/Mozilla Tips: http://www.ufaq.org/ , http://ilias.ca/
    mozilla-based Themes: https://www.projectit.com/freestuff.html

  10. Re: more zebra strips this time for the email/news application

    Sailfish wrote:
    > Additionally, the InspectorWidget extension adds a toolbar button that
    > make invoking the DOM Inspector simpler.

    I tried installing this, but I get error code -239. I even
    tried saving the file and install it from there. Same result.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  11. Re: more zebra strips this time for the email/news application

    Jens Hatlak wrote:
    > Geoff Welsh wrote:
    >> I also (as you've mentioned in other thread) have no clue how
    >> people use the DOM Inspector to learn anything. The only thing I can do
    >> with it is type a URL in the text field and click on spots in the page
    >> that loads in the window.

    > You might want to give a try. I didn't
    > read it through myself but it looks like a good starting point. If
    > you're using MultiZilla or Web Developer Toolbar, you can open DOM
    > Inspector with the currently loaded webpage, too. There's also a short
    > video at
    > which demonstrates the (very) basic usage.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Jens

    Thanks, I'll take peak at those.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  12. Re: more zebra strips this time for the email/news application

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Sailfish wrote:
    >> Additionally, the InspectorWidget extension adds a toolbar button that
    >> make invoking the DOM Inspector simpler.
    >>
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/63

    > I tried installing this, but I get error code -239. I even tried saving
    > the file and install it from there. Same result.

    Hmm, your header UA says your using Multizilla on top of SM 1.1.4, which
    I've not tested. However, I just confirmed that it installs and works
    fine in vanilla SM 1.1.4.

    --
    Sailfish - Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    Netscape/Mozilla Tips: http://www.ufaq.org/ , http://ilias.ca/
    mozilla-based Themes: https://www.projectit.com/freestuff.html

  13. Re: more zebra strips this time for the email/news application

    Sailfish wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Sailfish wrote:
    >>> Additionally, the InspectorWidget extension adds a toolbar button
    >>> that make invoking the DOM Inspector simpler.
    >>>
    >>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/63

    >> I tried installing this, but I get error code -239. I even tried
    >> saving the file and install it from there. Same result.
    >>

    > Hmm, your header UA says your using Multizilla on top of SM 1.1.4, which
    > I've not tested. However, I just confirmed that it installs and works
    > fine in vanilla SM 1.1.4.

    But I just did, and I installed it without any problem

    --
    Michael Vincent van Rantwijk
    - MultiZilla Project Team Lead

  14. Re: more zebra strips this time for the email/news application

    Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla wrote:
    > Sailfish wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> I tried installing this, but I get error code -239. I even tried
    >>> saving the file and install it from there. Same result.
    >>>

    >> Hmm, your header UA says your using Multizilla on top of SM 1.1.4, which
    >> I've not tested. However, I just confirmed that it installs and works
    >> fine in vanilla SM 1.1.4.

    > But I just did, and I installed it without any problem

    well, I just tried it in a plain profile and it installs
    fine. I tried it in another profile, with Multizilla
    1.8.3.0a and it didn't work. Same error code -239. The jar
    file is there in chrome, so how do I make it show up?

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  15. Re: more zebra strips this time for the email/news application

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla wrote:
    >> Sailfish wrote:

    >>> Hmm, your header UA says your using Multizilla on top of SM 1.1.4,
    >>> which I've not tested. However, I just confirmed that it installs and
    >>> works fine in vanilla SM 1.1.4.

    >> But I just did, and I installed it without any problem
    >>

    > well, I just tried it in a plain profile and it installs fine. I tried
    > it in another profile, with Multizilla 1.8.3.0a and it didn't work.
    > Same error code -239. The jar file is there in chrome, so how do I make
    > it show up?

    Where did you install it? In the application or your profile directory?

    -239 -> chrome registration errors in the package you are trying to
    install, not in the add-ons already installed, or it is just a corrupted
    profile, which can happen from time to time.

    Try removing chrome.rdf and/or overlays.rdf (make a backup first ok) and
    start SeaMonkey to see if that helps.

    p.s. I asked three others to install the add-on, no problems there.

    --
    Michael Vincent van Rantwijk
    - MultiZilla Project Team Lead
    - iPhone Application Developer

  16. Re: more zebra strips this time for the email/news application

    Jens Hatlak wrote:
    > Geoff Welsh wrote:
    >> I also (as you've mentioned in other thread) have no clue how
    >> people use the DOM Inspector to learn anything. The only thing I can
    >> do with it is type a URL in the text field and click on spots in the
    >> page that loads in the window.

    > You might want to give a try. I didn't
    > read it through myself but it looks like a good starting point. If
    > you're using MultiZilla or Web Developer Toolbar, you can open DOM
    > Inspector with the currently loaded webpage, too. There's also a short
    > video at
    > which demonstrates the (very) basic usage.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Jens

    NICE! Thanks, now I see how to inspect the mail window....cool.
    GW

  17. Re: more zebra strips this time for the email/news application

    Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla wrote:

    >>> But I just did, and I installed it without any problem
    >>>

    >> well, I just tried it in a plain profile and it installs fine. I tried
    >> it in another profile, with Multizilla 1.8.3.0a and it didn't work.
    >> Same error code -239. The jar file is there in chrome, so how do I make
    >> it show up?

    > Where did you install it? In the application or your profile directory?
    >
    > -239 -> chrome registration errors in the package you are trying to
    > install, not in the add-ons already installed, or it is just a corrupted
    > profile, which can happen from time to time.
    >
    > Try removing chrome.rdf and/or overlays.rdf (make a backup first ok) and
    > start SeaMonkey to see if that helps.
    >
    > p.s. I asked three others to install the add-on, no problems there.

    I managed to install it into the program directory and it
    worked. So I uninstalled that, and uninstalled multizilla,
    and tried again, but this was a no go either. So, there
    must be something wrong with the profile chrome directory.
    So I started over. I uninstalled every extension I had,
    blew away the profile chrome directory. Then I reinstalled
    everything, but this time, I didn't install multizilla.
    Everything worked, including the inspectory into the profile
    chrome. Then I reinstalled multizilla, and this time it worked.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  18. Re: more zebra strips this time for the email/news application

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Hi All:
    >>
    >> The adventures in Zebra Strips continues:
    >> For the Accounts Pane [that the one that lists all your
    >> accounts and folders like inbox, sent, drafts, etc] you can
    >> try this.

    >> for those who want zebra strips for the headers/thread pane
    >> [thats the one where you click on a message] then use the
    >> script below and between the "YYYY's".

    > now that I'm getting some really funky colors going,
    > something has happened. I'm not able to see the little gray
    > dotted line that goes from the account name to the inbox,
    > sent, drafts, and so forth. The same goes for the
    > headers/thread pane. I can't see the little dotted gray
    > lines within each thread.
    >
    > Problem is, I can't figure out the script I would need to
    > add to make those dotted gray lines into a solid line and
    > thicker. Would anyone know?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Grant

    OK, I found the little dotted gray lines. Close the program
    first. Now, open the jar file for your theme. Its either
    under the profile chrome directory, or the program chrome
    directory. Under the directory Global is a file called
    Tree.css. Open that, and find the line of "lines connecting
    cells". There you can change then colors and size of the px
    and make it solid, or whatever you want. Now, save the
    file, and rezip everything exactly as you got it. Replace
    this new file jar theme file with the old one. Restart SM,
    and now you should have it working. Besure to back up
    everything.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  19. Re: more zebra strips this time for the email/news application

    Sailfish wrote:
    > Additionally, the InspectorWidget extension adds a toolbar button that
    > make invoking the DOM Inspector simpler.

    wow! Does this ever make things simple! I just tried it on
    the navigation toolbar, and I managed to tweak it so the
    icons are squished and smaller, and the address bar gets
    more space. What with 7 icons and a throbber on a
    ToyFactory theme, that address bar was kind of small . . .
    until now. I don't know if the script I've got is correct
    or it could have been simplified or what, but its working.
    I'm happy.

    Thanks Sailfish

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  20. Re: more zebra strips this time for the email/news application

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Sailfish wrote:
    >> Additionally, the InspectorWidget extension adds a toolbar button that
    >> make invoking the DOM Inspector simpler.
    >>
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/63

    > wow! Does this ever make things simple! I just tried it on the
    > navigation toolbar, and I managed to tweak it so the icons are squished
    > and smaller, and the address bar gets more space. What with 7 icons and
    > a throbber on a ToyFactory theme, that address bar was kind of small . .
    > . until now. I don't know if the script I've got is correct or it could
    > have been simplified or what, but its working. I'm happy.

    I'm pleased to hear that you've got it working and finding it useful.

    Full disclosure: It really is somewhat of a merge of two older
    extensions, originally written on Phoenix:

    Joe Hewitt (MozEngineer)
    Gilles Durys (inspectthis)

    All rightful kudos belong to them.

    --