Problem with attached files - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Problem with attached files - Mozilla ; I'm a longtime Netscape and Mozilla user and now have Seamonkey 1.1.4 installed on three different computers, all with Windows XP SP2. The computers are configured almost identically, and I've attempted to specify identical Seamonkey options since I'm constantly switching ...

  1. Problem with attached files

    I'm a longtime Netscape and Mozilla user and now have Seamonkey
    1.1.4 installed on three different computers, all with Windows XP
    SP2.

    The computers are configured almost identically, and I've
    attempted to specify identical Seamonkey options since I'm
    constantly switching among these computers and want them to
    behave the same way.

    At my office everything works perfectly, but on both home
    machines, I have frequent problems with file attachments. Word
    and PDF files that arrive via e-mail frequently can't be viewed
    or opened (the error messages vary, but they often refer to file
    corruption or the inability to see a file by its filename). JPG
    photos often appear with only a tiny fraction of the photo
    visible. The same problem has persisted for many months, through
    several incremental updates of Seamonkey.

    Yet when these very same e-mails arrive at my office computer, I
    have no problem with ANY of the attachments.

    Do these symptoms suggest the source of the problem to anyone out
    there?

  2. Re: Problem with attached files

    Bill Spikowski created this reply On 9/3/2007 10:24 AM

    > I'm a longtime Netscape and Mozilla user and now have Seamonkey
    > 1.1.4 installed on three different computers, all with Windows XP
    > SP2.
    >
    > The computers are configured almost identically, and I've
    > attempted to specify identical Seamonkey options since I'm
    > constantly switching among these computers and want them to
    > behave the same way.

    There must be some preferences that are different at both locations.
    For your MS Word (Office Documents) you may need to add these file types
    to your Preferences selections. Go to Edit/Preferences/Navigator/Helper
    Applications and make a list of the apps loaded on your office computer.

    You will need the Adobe Reader Plugin latest version installed to view
    PDF files at home.

    Your .jpg and other media files may indeed be getting corrupted between
    the sender and your home PC by network glitches (rare) or by a locally
    installed anti-virus program scanning your incoming mail attachments. A
    lot of AV software will change the extension for an attachment if it
    thinks the file might be harmful.

    Michael

    > At my office everything works perfectly, but on both home
    > machines, I have frequent problems with file attachments. Word
    > and PDF files that arrive via e-mail frequently can't be viewed
    > or opened (the error messages vary, but they often refer to file
    > corruption or the inability to see a file by its filename). JPG
    > photos often appear with only a tiny fraction of the photo
    > visible. The same problem has persisted for many months, through
    > several incremental updates of Seamonkey.
    >
    > Yet when these very same e-mails arrive at my office computer, I
    > have no problem with ANY of the attachments.
    >
    > Do these symptoms suggest the source of the problem to anyone out
    > there?

    Posting To Mozilla.Test.Multimedia

    SeaMonkey
    The "All In One Internet Application Suite"

  3. Re: Problem with attached files

    Michael wrote:
    > Bill Spikowski created this reply On 9/3/2007 10:24 AM
    >
    >> I'm a longtime Netscape and Mozilla user and now have Seamonkey 1.1.4
    >> installed on three different computers, all with Windows XP SP2.
    >>
    >> The computers are configured almost identically, and I've attempted to
    >> specify identical Seamonkey options since I'm constantly switching
    >> among these computers and want them to behave the same way.

    > There must be some preferences that are different at both locations. For
    > your MS Word (Office Documents) you may need to add these file types to
    > your Preferences selections. Go to Edit/Preferences/Navigator/Helper
    > Applications and make a list of the apps loaded on your office computer.
    >
    > You will need the Adobe Reader Plugin latest version installed to view
    > PDF files at home.
    >
    > Your .jpg and other media files may indeed be getting corrupted between
    > the sender and your home PC by network glitches (rare) or by a locally
    > installed anti-virus program scanning your incoming mail attachments. A
    > lot of AV software will change the extension for an attachment if it
    > thinks the file might be harmful.
    >
    > Michael
    >>
    >> At my office everything works perfectly, but on both home machines, I
    >> have frequent problems with file attachments. Word and PDF files that
    >> arrive via e-mail frequently can't be viewed or opened (the error
    >> messages vary, but they often refer to file corruption or the
    >> inability to see a file by its filename). JPG photos often appear with
    >> only a tiny fraction of the photo visible. The same problem has
    >> persisted for many months, through several incremental updates of
    >> Seamonkey.
    >>
    >> Yet when these very same e-mails arrive at my office computer, I have
    >> no problem with ANY of the attachments.
    >>
    >> Do these symptoms suggest the source of the problem to anyone out there?

    My helper preferences were nearly identical; so far, making them
    identical hasn't helped, nor has shutting off my AVG antivirus.

    I have Adobe Reader on all machines and it normally works without
    a hitch -- only when I'm trying to open file attachments on one
    and sometimes the second machine do I run into trouble. Same with
    Word -- I often get "file corrupted" messages. Of course, those
    files DO get corrupted sometimes, or jumbled in email, but the
    problem occurs so often on two machines and never on the third
    that I"m still scratching my head. The problem may be somewhere
    in Windows, not in Seamonkey; I'll keep trying things -- thanks
    for the suggestions!

  4. Re: Problem with attached files

    Bill Spikowski created this reply On 9/4/2007 3:08 PM

    > Michael wrote:
    >> Bill Spikowski created this reply On 9/3/2007 10:24 AM
    >>
    >>> I'm a longtime Netscape and Mozilla user and now have Seamonkey 1.1.4
    >>> installed on three different computers, all with Windows XP SP2.
    >>>
    >>> The computers are configured almost identically, and I've attempted to
    >>> specify identical Seamonkey options since I'm constantly switching
    >>> among these computers and want them to behave the same way.

    >> There must be some preferences that are different at both locations. For
    >> your MS Word (Office Documents) you may need to add these file types to
    >> your Preferences selections. Go to Edit/Preferences/Navigator/Helper
    >> Applications and make a list of the apps loaded on your office computer.
    >>
    >> You will need the Adobe Reader Plugin latest version installed to view
    >> PDF files at home.
    >>
    >> Your .jpg and other media files may indeed be getting corrupted between
    >> the sender and your home PC by network glitches (rare) or by a locally
    >> installed anti-virus program scanning your incoming mail attachments. A
    >> lot of AV software will change the extension for an attachment if it
    >> thinks the file might be harmful.
    >>
    >> Michael
    >>> At my office everything works perfectly, but on both home machines, I
    >>> have frequent problems with file attachments. Word and PDF files that
    >>> arrive via e-mail frequently can't be viewed or opened (the error
    >>> messages vary, but they often refer to file corruption or the
    >>> inability to see a file by its filename). JPG photos often appear with
    >>> only a tiny fraction of the photo visible. The same problem has
    >>> persisted for many months, through several incremental updates of
    >>> Seamonkey.
    >>>
    >>> Yet when these very same e-mails arrive at my office computer, I have
    >>> no problem with ANY of the attachments.
    >>>
    >>> Do these symptoms suggest the source of the problem to anyone out there?

    > My helper preferences were nearly identical; so far, making them
    > identical hasn't helped, nor has shutting off my AVG antivirus.
    >
    > I have Adobe Reader on all machines and it normally works without
    > a hitch -- only when I'm trying to open file attachments on one
    > and sometimes the second machine do I run into trouble. Same with
    > Word -- I often get "file corrupted" messages. Of course, those
    > files DO get corrupted sometimes, or jumbled in email, but the
    > problem occurs so often on two machines and never on the third
    > that I"m still scratching my head. The problem may be somewhere
    > in Windows, not in Seamonkey; I'll keep trying things -- thanks
    > for the suggestions!

    Bill,

    I don't have any more suggestions to fix your problem, but I do have a
    question. What happens when you send your self a Word attachment, or
    ..jpg attachment?

    If all works well then you may have a problem outside of your PC.

    Michael

    Posting To Mozilla.Test.Multimedia

    SeaMonkey
    The "All In One Internet Application Suite"

  5. Re: Problem with attached files

    Michael wrote:
    > Bill Spikowski created this reply On 9/4/2007 3:08 PM
    >
    >> Michael wrote:
    >>> Bill Spikowski created this reply On 9/3/2007 10:24 AM

    >>> There must be some preferences that are different at both locations.
    >>> For your MS Word (Office Documents) you may need to add these file
    >>> types to your Preferences selections. Go to
    >>> Edit/Preferences/Navigator/Helper Applications and make a list of the
    >>> apps loaded on your office computer.
    >>>
    >>> You will need the Adobe Reader Plugin latest version installed to
    >>> view PDF files at home.
    >>>
    >>> Your .jpg and other media files may indeed be getting corrupted
    >>> between the sender and your home PC by network glitches (rare) or by
    >>> a locally installed anti-virus program scanning your incoming mail
    >>> attachments. A lot of AV software will change the extension for an
    >>> attachment if it thinks the file might be harmful.
    >>>
    >>> Michael

    >> My helper preferences were nearly identical; so far, making them
    >> identical hasn't helped, nor has shutting off my AVG antivirus.
    >>
    >> I have Adobe Reader on all machines and it normally works without a
    >> hitch -- only when I'm trying to open file attachments on one and
    >> sometimes the second machine do I run into trouble. Same with Word --
    >> I often get "file corrupted" messages. Of course, those files DO get
    >> corrupted sometimes, or jumbled in email, but the problem occurs so
    >> often on two machines and never on the third that I"m still scratching
    >> my head. The problem may be somewhere in Windows, not in Seamonkey;
    >> I'll keep trying things -- thanks for the suggestions!

    > Bill,
    >
    > I don't have any more suggestions to fix your problem, but I do have a
    > question. What happens when you send your self a Word attachment, or
    > .jpg attachment?
    >
    > If all works well then you may have a problem outside of your PC.
    >
    > Michael

    Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried sending several test
    attachments from this computer back to it, and also to my other
    machines.

    So far I cannot replicate the problem with Word or PDF files, but
    attached JPGs always get mangled when being sent out. When coming
    back, they're the same on every machine: in a typical batch of
    four JPG photos, one might be OK, another will be missing all its
    red colors, another will have a couple of narrow bands that are
    correct but the rest of the photo is blank, etc. I know this
    isn't normal -- I use Seamonkey on four different machines and
    have never seen this problem before! The JPGs are simple photos
    that I've cropped and resized in Paint Shop Pro, which I've used
    uneventfully for many years.

  6. Re: Problem with attached files

    On 06.09.2007 20:37, Bill Spikowski wrote:
    > Michael wrote:
    >> Bill Spikowski created this reply On 9/4/2007 3:08 PM

    >>> My helper preferences were nearly identical; so far, making them
    >>> identical hasn't helped, nor has shutting off my AVG antivirus.
    >>>
    >>> I have Adobe Reader on all machines and it normally works without a
    >>> hitch -- only when I'm trying to open file attachments on one and
    >>> sometimes the second machine do I run into trouble. Same with Word --
    >>> I often get "file corrupted" messages. Of course, those files DO get
    >>> corrupted sometimes, or jumbled in email, but the problem occurs so
    >>> often on two machines and never on the third that I"m still
    >>> scratching my head. The problem may be somewhere in Windows, not in
    >>> Seamonkey; I'll keep trying things -- thanks for the suggestions!

    >> Bill,
    >>
    >> I don't have any more suggestions to fix your problem, but I do have a
    >> question. What happens when you send your self a Word attachment, or
    >> .jpg attachment?
    >>
    >> If all works well then you may have a problem outside of your PC.
    >>
    >> Michael

    > Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried sending several test attachments
    > from this computer back to it, and also to my other machines.
    >
    > So far I cannot replicate the problem with Word or PDF files, but
    > attached JPGs always get mangled when being sent out. When coming back,
    > they're the same on every machine: in a typical batch of four JPG
    > photos, one might be OK, another will be missing all its red colors,
    > another will have a couple of narrow bands that are correct but the rest
    > of the photo is blank, etc. I know this isn't normal -- I use Seamonkey
    > on four different machines and have never seen this problem before! The
    > JPGs are simple photos that I've cropped and resized in Paint Shop Pro,
    > which I've used uneventfully for many years.

    Try to install Thunderbird (or another mail prog) and see if you get the
    same problem.
    Horst

+ Reply to Thread