Open with new tab - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Open with new tab - Mozilla ; Hello, I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm trying to find the setting that would allow me to click on a WEB page link and have it open in a new tab, while leaving me in my ...

  1. Open with new tab

    Hello,

    I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm trying to find the
    setting that would allow me to click on a WEB page link and have it open
    in a new tab, while leaving me in my original page. I know about
    the 'right click open in new tab' option but that is not what I'm
    looking for.

    Thank you,

    ST

  2. Re: Open with new tab

    ST created this reply On 8/24/2007 9:55 PM

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm trying to find the
    > setting that would allow me to click on a WEB page link and have it open
    > in a new tab, while leaving me in my original page. I know about
    > the 'right click open in new tab' option but that is not what I'm
    > looking for.
    >

    > Thank you,
    >
    > ST

    From the SeaMonkey Help section on Preferences/Tab Browsing"

    Navigator Preferences - Tabbed Browsing

    This section describes how to use the Tabbed Browsing preferences panel. If
    you're not already viewing it, follow these steps:

    1. Open the SeaMonkey
    Edit menu and choose Preferences.

    2. Under the Navigator category, click Tabbed Browsing. (If no
    subcategories
    are visible, double-click Navigator to expand the list.)

    The Tabbed Browsing preferences panel allows you to set up Tabbed
    Browsing:

    * Tab Display:

    o Hide the tab bar when only one tab is open: Select
    this to display the Tabbed Browsing bar only when
    more then one
    Navigator tab is open.

    o Switch to new tabs opened from links: Select this to
    make SeaMonkey switch to the new tab when using
    Open in a
    New Tab to open a link.

    * When opening a bookmark group:

    o Add tabs: Select this if you want a bookmark group
    to be opened in new tabs.

    o Replace existing tabs: Select this if you want a
    bookmark group to replace your existing tabs.

    * Open tabs instead of windows for:

    o Cmd+click or
    Cmd+Return
    Middle-click, Ctrl+click or
    Ctrl+Enter on links in a Web
    page: Select this to open Web page links in a new tab
    when clicking a link and holding down the
    Command key or holding down the Command key and
    pressing Return on links with the
    middle mouse button, Ctrl-clicking on links, and
    pressing
    Ctrl+Enter on links.

    Tip: Use Find Links as You Type to navigate to the
    link you want to open with the keyboard commands
    above.

    CmdCtrl+ReturnEnter in the Location
    bar: Select this to open a Web page in a new tab
    when you type
    the URL of the page in the Location Bar and press
    CmdCtrl+ReturnEnter.

    * Link open behavior: If a webpage is designed so that
    certain links open in a new window by default (either through
    the target
    attribute in HTML or through embedded JavaScript), you may
    want to
    override this:

    o The current tab/window: Open the linked page in the
    current tab of the active window.

    o A new tab in the current window: Open the linked
    page in a new tab instead of a new window.

    o A new window: Open the linked page in a new window.
    (This is the default and does not override the
    webpage design).

    * Links from other applications: If SeaMonkey is
    called from another application with a webpage address as an
    argument (like
    a click on a link in an external email program), you can
    control where the
    page will be loaded:

    o The current tab/window: Open the linked page in the
    current tab of the active window.

    o A new tab in the current window: Open the linked
    page in a new tab instead of a new window.

    o A new window: Open the linked page in a new window.
    (This is the default).

    To ensure that SeaMonkey opens a new window, select the Navigator
    option in Appearance
    Preferences - Appearance.

    If you want SeaMonkey to open a new tab instead of a new window when
    you launch it and it is already running, ensure the following:

    * If you launch SeaMonkey by command line, do not use command-line
    parameters that open windows.

    * Nothing is set in the
    Appearance Preferences
    - Appearance.

    * Set Links from other applications preference to A new tab in
    the current window.

    Happy Tabbing,

    Michael

    Posting To Mozilla.Test.Multimedia

    SeaMonkey
    The "All In One Internet Application Suite"

  3. Re: Open with new tab

    Michael wrote:
> [...]

    > page will be loaded:
    >

    > o The current tab/window: Open the linked page in the
    > current tab of the active window.
    >
    > o A new tab in the current window: Open the linked
    > page in a new tab instead of a new window.
    >
    > o A new window: Open the linked page in a new window.
    > (This is the default).
    >

    > To ensure that SeaMonkey opens a new window, select the Navigator
    > option in Appearance
    > Preferences - Appearance.
    >

    > If you want SeaMonkey to open a new tab instead of a new window when
    > you launch it and it is already running, ensure the following:
    >

    > * If you launch SeaMonkey by command line, do not use command-line
    > parameters that open windows.
    >
    > * Nothing is set in the
    > Appearance Preferences
    > - Appearance.
    >
    > * Set Links from other applications preference to A new tab in

    Thank you for the reply; however,when I tried to follow the directions
    as I understood them, I still could not get it to work as I wished.

    I'd like to click on a link on a WEB page and have that open in a new
    tab leaving me in my original page.

    ST

  4. Re: Open with new tab

    ST wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm trying to find the
    > setting that would allow me to click on a WEB page link and have it open
    > in a new tab, while leaving me in my original page. I know about
    > the 'right click open in new tab' option but that is not what I'm
    > looking for.
    >

    > Thank you,
    >
    > ST

    Please check the following two preferences:

    browser.tabs.loadInBackground - "Switch to new tabs opened from links"
    browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground - no UI for this one in SeaMonkey

    --
    Michael Vincent van Rantwijk
    - MultiZilla Project Team Lead

  5. Re: Open with new tab

    ST created this reply On 8/24/2007 10:55 PM

> [...]

    >> To ensure that SeaMonkey opens a new window, select the Navigator
    >> option in Appearance
    >> Preferences - Appearance.
    >>

    >> If you want SeaMonkey to open a new tab instead of a new window when
    >> you launch it and it is already running, ensure the following:
    >>

    >> * If you launch SeaMonkey by command line, do not use command-line
    >> parameters that open windows.
    >>
    >> * Nothing is set in the
    >> Appearance Preferences
    >> - Appearance.
    >>
    >> * Set Links from other applications preference to A new tab in
    >> the current window.
    >>

    >> Happy Tabbing,
    >>
    >> Michael
    >>

    > Thank you for the reply; however,when I tried to follow the directions
    > as I understood them, I still could not get it to work as I wished.
    >
    > I'd like to click on a link on a WEB page and have that open in a new

    Have you tried using the "Middle Mouse Button" to click on a link in a
    web page?

    Michael

    Posting To Mozilla.Test.Multimedia

    SeaMonkey
    The "All In One Internet Application Suite"

  6. Re: Open with new tab

    Michael wrote:
> [...]
    >>> you launch it and it is already running, ensure the following:
    >>>

    >>> * If you launch SeaMonkey by command line, do not use
    >>> command-line
    >>> parameters that open windows.
    >>>
    >>> * Nothing is set in the
    >>> Appearance Preferences
    >>> - Appearance.
    >>>
    >>> * Set Links from other applications preference to A new tab in
    >>> the current window.
    >>>

    >>> Happy Tabbing,
    >>>
    >>> Michael
    >>>

    >> Thank you for the reply; however,when I tried to follow the directions
    >> as I understood them, I still could not get it to work as I wished.
    >>
    >> I'd like to click on a link on a WEB page and have that open in a new
    >> tab leaving me in my original page.
    >>
    >> ST

    > Have you tried using the "Middle Mouse Button" to click on a link in a

    I have a laptop with a mouse pad, but I use a usb mouse that only has a
    wheel not a middle button, and pushing on the wheel does nothing.

    Thanks for the reply

    ST

  7. Re: Open with new tab

    Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla wrote:
    > ST wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm trying to find the
    >> setting that would allow me to click on a WEB page link and have it open
    >> in a new tab, while leaving me in my original page. I know about
    >> the 'right click open in new tab' option but that is not what I'm
    >> looking for.
    >>

    >> Thank you,
    >>
    >> ST

    > Please check the following two preferences:
    >
    > browser.tabs.loadInBackground - "Switch to new tabs opened from links"
    > browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground - no UI for this one in SeaMonkey

    Thank you. That accomplished part of what I wanted. If I
    right click on a link and tell it to open in a new tab it will,
    AND I'm left on my original page! But, just clicking on any
    link simply opens and it replaces my current page.

    ST

  8. Re: Open with new tab

    ST wrote:
> [...]

    >> To ensure that SeaMonkey opens a new window, select the Navigator
    >> option in Appearance
    >> Preferences - Appearance.
    >>

    >> If you want SeaMonkey to open a new tab instead of a new window when
    >> you launch it and it is already running, ensure the following:
    >>

    >> * If you launch SeaMonkey by command line, do not use command-line
    >> parameters that open windows.
    >>
    >> * Nothing is set in the
    >> Appearance Preferences
    >> - Appearance.
    >>
    >> * Set Links from other applications preference to A new tab in
    >> the current window.
    >>

    >> Happy Tabbing,
    >>
    >> Michael
    >>

    > Thank you for the reply; however,when I tried to follow the directions
    > as I understood them, I still could not get it to work as I wished.
    >
    > I'd like to click on a link on a WEB page and have that open in a new

    I just saw that a couple days ago. Edit > Preferences > Navigator >
    Tabbed Browsing > Tab Display, and make sure "switch to new tab" is
    unchecked. I think that's what you want?

    B/

  9. Re: Open with new tab

    ST wrote:
    > If I right click on a link and tell it to open in a new tab it will,
    > AND I'm left on my original page! But, just clicking on any link
    > simply opens and it replaces my current page.

    Hold down Ctrl while clicking.

    As Michael suggested, middle-clicking is even better. With a mouse with
    a scroll wheel one has to click that. If it doesn't work, the mouse is
    configured to do something else in that case. At least Logitech's driver
    permits to change that action back to middle click, though. You'll get:

    - Links, bookmarks: open in new tab
    - Tabs: close
    - Contents: Autoscroll (if enabled, about:config -> general.autoScroll)

    Greetings,

    Jens

    --
    Jens Hatlak
    SeaMonkey Trunk Tracker

  10. Re: Open with new tab

    ST wrote:
    > Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla wrote:
    >> ST wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm trying to find the
    >>> setting that would allow me to click on a WEB page link and have it open
    >>> in a new tab, while leaving me in my original page. I know about
    >>> the 'right click open in new tab' option but that is not what I'm
    >>> looking for.
    >>>

    >>> Thank you,
    >>>
    >>> ST

    >> Please check the following two preferences:
    >>
    >> browser.tabs.loadInBackground - "Switch to new tabs opened from links"
    >> browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground - no UI for this one in SeaMonkey
    >>

    > Thank you. That accomplished part of what I wanted. If I
    > right click on a link and tell it to open in a new tab it will,
    > AND I'm left on my original page! But, just clicking on any
    > link simply opens and it replaces my current page.

    Try control click.

    --
    Michael Vincent van Rantwijk
    - MultiZilla Project Team Lead
    - iPhone Application Developer

  11. Re: Open with new tab

    ST created this reply On 8/25/2007 12:54 PM

    > Michael wrote:
    >> ST created this reply On 8/24/2007 10:55 PM

    >>> Thank you for the reply; however,when I tried to follow the directions
    >>> as I understood them, I still could not get it to work as I wished.
    >>>
    >>> I'd like to click on a link on a WEB page and have that open in a new
    >>> tab leaving me in my original page.
    >>>
    >>> ST

    >> Have you tried using the "Middle Mouse Button" to click on a link in a
    >> web page?
    >>
    >> Michael
    >>

    > I have a laptop with a mouse pad, but I use a usb mouse that only has a
    > wheel not a middle button, and pushing on the wheel does nothing.
    >
    > Thanks for the reply
    >
    > ST

    I am referring to the 3 button mouse as having a left and right push
    button and a center wheel. On most 3 button mice the center wheel will
    rotate forward and backward and will depress as a third mouse button.
    If your mouse wheel depresses and makes a tiny click sound and nothing
    happens you might want to check your SeaMonkey
    Preferences/Advanced/Mouse Wheel and be sure it is set for your System
    Defaults. Then open Windows Control Panel and click on the mouse icon
    and see how the mouse wheel is set up.

    Michael

    Posting To Mozilla.Test.Multimedia

    SeaMonkey
    The "All In One Internet Application Suite"

+ Reply to Thread