Lost folders AGAIN !!! - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Lost folders AGAIN !!! - Mozilla ; Just lost all the folders on one of my heavy email feeds uk.rec.models.engineering and others in that group 80Mb of local copies of all the messages which are now being DUPLICATED by a new download. HOW should I recover from ...

  1. Lost folders AGAIN !!!

    Just lost all the folders on one of my heavy email feeds
    uk.rec.models.engineering and others in that group
    80Mb of local copies of all the messages which are now being DUPLICATED by a
    new download.

    HOW should I recover from this situation? Just deleting the .msf file is
    pointless, you have to destroy the data files as well ( 500Mb in this case ! )
    and start downloading again - AND THEM MAKE SURE THAT YOU DO NOT LOOK AT THAT
    LIST UNTIL THE DOWNLOAD IS COMPLETE - since it will carry on 'downloading',
    but without marking the messages as downloaded. Killing SeaMonkey and
    restarting the download then re-downloads the messages that it failed to flag
    first round.

    I think I have to give up using SeaMonkey for newsgroups - anybody know a
    decent newsgroup browser

    --
    Lester Caine - G8HFL
    -----------------------------

  2. Re: Lost folders AGAIN !!!

    Lester Caine wrote:
    > Just lost all the folders on one of my heavy email feeds
    > uk.rec.models.engineering and others in that group
    > 80Mb of local copies of all the messages which are now being DUPLICATED by a
    > new download.
    >
    > HOW should I recover from this situation? Just deleting the .msf file is
    > pointless, you have to destroy the data files as well ( 500Mb in this case ! )
    > and start downloading again - AND THEM MAKE SURE THAT YOU DO NOT LOOK AT THAT
    > LIST UNTIL THE DOWNLOAD IS COMPLETE - since it will carry on 'downloading',
    > but without marking the messages as downloaded. Killing SeaMonkey and
    > restarting the download then re-downloads the messages that it failed to flag
    > first round.
    >
    > I think I have to give up using SeaMonkey for newsgroups - anybody know a
    > decent newsgroup browser

    why don't you download them for offline usage. That way,
    you'll always have them on your hard drive.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: Lost folders AGAIN !!!

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Lester Caine wrote:
    >> Just lost all the folders on one of my heavy email feeds
    >> uk.rec.models.engineering and others in that group
    >> 80Mb of local copies of all the messages which are now being
    >> DUPLICATED by a new download.
    >>
    >> HOW should I recover from this situation? Just deleting the .msf file
    >> is pointless, you have to destroy the data files as well ( 500Mb in
    >> this case ! ) and start downloading again - AND THEM MAKE SURE THAT
    >> YOU DO NOT LOOK AT THAT LIST UNTIL THE DOWNLOAD IS COMPLETE - since it
    >> will carry on 'downloading', but without marking the messages as
    >> downloaded. Killing SeaMonkey and restarting the download then
    >> re-downloads the messages that it failed to flag first round.
    >>
    >> I think I have to give up using SeaMonkey for newsgroups - anybody
    >> know a decent newsgroup browser

    > why don't you download them for offline usage. That way, you'll always
    > have them on your hard drive.

    That is the whole point Peter - IT'S THE OFFLINE DOWNLOAD that is now corrupt!
    You can't use 'tricks' like copying the data to other places since the .msf
    file MUST be in sync with the newsgroup feed and the local data file is not
    used to 'rebuild' the .msf file - it downloads the headers again. Restoring
    last weeks 'backup' of .msf and data to re-sync again seems not to work
    either, giving the same problem after the missing messages have been
    downloaded. But it will be a couple of days before I have a clean local copy
    again to try next time.

    This corruption never happened with Moz - happened occasionally with SM1.0 and
    seems to be a weekly event with SM1.1

    --
    Lester Caine - G8HFL
    -----------------------------

  4. Re: Lost folders AGAIN !!!

    Lester Caine wrote:
    ----------
    > I think I have to give up using SeaMonkey for newsgroups - anybody know a
    > decent newsgroup browser

    For the real heavy duty news groups I use Pan. Available for windows
    and linux.

    http://paninstall.googlepages.com/

    --
    And on the seventh day, He exited from append mode.

  5. Re: Lost folders AGAIN !!!

    Lester Caine wrote:

    > Just lost all the folders on one of my heavy email feeds
    > uk.rec.models.engineering and others in that group
    > 80Mb of local copies of all the messages which are now being
    > DUPLICATED by a new download.
    >
    > HOW should I recover from this situation? Just deleting the .msf file
    > is pointless, you have to destroy the data files as well ( 500Mb in
    > this case ! ) and start downloading again - AND THEM MAKE SURE THAT
    > YOU DO NOT LOOK AT THAT LIST UNTIL THE DOWNLOAD IS COMPLETE - since it
    > will carry on 'downloading', but without marking the messages as
    > downloaded. Killing SeaMonkey and restarting the download then
    > re-downloads the messages that it failed to flag first round.
    >
    > I think I have to give up using SeaMonkey for newsgroups - anybody
    > know a decent newsgroup browser

    Agent has been the defacto standard for newsgroups for years now. See:

    Here's Agent - http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php
    ftp://ftp.forteinc.com/pub/agent/english/
    Here's the Agent Manual 1.91 - ftp://ftp.forteinc.com/pub/agent/manual/
    Here's the Agent Manual 4.2 - http://www.forteinc.com/agent/download.php
    FAQ's from the Forte folks - http://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php

    The ftp sites were not connecting as of this post.

    --

  6. Re: Lost folders AGAIN !!!

    Lester Caine pretended :
    > Just lost all the folders on one of my heavy email feeds
    > uk.rec.models.engineering and others in that group
    > 80Mb of local copies of all the messages which are now being DUPLICATED by a
    > new download.

    > HOW should I recover from this situation? Just deleting the .msf file is
    > pointless, you have to destroy the data files as well ( 500Mb in this case !
    > ) and start downloading again - AND THEM MAKE SURE THAT YOU DO NOT LOOK AT
    > THAT LIST UNTIL THE DOWNLOAD IS COMPLETE - since it will carry on
    > 'downloading', but without marking the messages as downloaded. Killing
    > SeaMonkey and restarting the download then re-downloads the messages that it
    > failed to flag first round.

    > I think I have to give up using SeaMonkey for newsgroups - anybody know a
    > decent newsgroup browser

    I use MesNews and have almost 3GB of messages offline.
    (http://www.mesnews.net/gb/)
    MesNews is very high configurable.

    --
    Belgische Ardennen http://users.kbc.skynet.be/fi001005 Ardennes Belge