Quick Time - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Quick Time - Mozilla ; Much against my better judgment (questionable, I freely admit) I recently installed Quick Time on my system in order to deal with one particular link someone sent me. I long ago banished it from my system as "evil and intrusive." ...

  1. Quick Time

    Much against my better judgment (questionable, I freely admit) I
    recently installed Quick Time on my system in order to deal with one
    particular link someone sent me. I long ago banished it from my system
    as "evil and intrusive."

    Tonight, I just clicked on a link on my own web site to an .mp3 file.
    Quick Time started playing the song in a browser window in SeaMonkey. I
    checked the Quick Time and the Winamp (my preferred player) preferences
    and all seemed in order. So, what the hell is allowing Quick Time to
    be the handler for .mp3 files in SM?

    I checked my Windows File Types and my SM Helper Applications
    preferences for Quick Time and mp3-related listings and my Winamp File
    Types settings and found nothing amiss. mp3 files /should/ be handled
    by Winamp. But Quick Time is usurping mp3 filetypes both online and in
    playing local disk mp3 files.

    Yes, I know the easy answer (which I'm about to take) is to uninstall
    Quick Time. But, this is silly, and is one example of the arrogance of
    Apple and Steve Jobs in how they treat customers - assuming that "Apple
    knows best."

    Does anyone have an answer for this dilemma? It's been so many years
    since I allowed Quick Time on my system that I can't remember the answer
    to this, and it may be that whatever answer I may have discovered in the
    past no longer works.

    So, before I just un-install this evil application, anyone got any
    solutions?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  2. Re: Quick Time

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Much against my better judgment (questionable, I freely admit) I
    > recently installed Quick Time on my system in order to deal with one
    > particular link someone sent me. I long ago banished it from my system
    > as "evil and intrusive."
    >
    > Tonight, I just clicked on a link on my own web site to an .mp3 file.
    > Quick Time started playing the song in a browser window in SeaMonkey. I
    > checked the Quick Time and the Winamp (my preferred player) preferences
    > and all seemed in order. So, what the hell is allowing Quick Time to
    > be the handler for .mp3 files in SM?
    >
    > I checked my Windows File Types and my SM Helper Applications
    > preferences for Quick Time and mp3-related listings and my Winamp File
    > Types settings and found nothing amiss. mp3 files /should/ be handled
    > by Winamp. But Quick Time is usurping mp3 filetypes both online and in
    > playing local disk mp3 files.
    >
    > Yes, I know the easy answer (which I'm about to take) is to uninstall
    > Quick Time. But, this is silly, and is one example of the arrogance of
    > Apple and Steve Jobs in how they treat customers - assuming that "Apple
    > knows best."
    >
    > Does anyone have an answer for this dilemma? It's been so many years
    > since I allowed Quick Time on my system that I can't remember the answer
    > to this, and it may be that whatever answer I may have discovered in the
    > past no longer works.
    >
    > So, before I just un-install this evil application, anyone got any
    > solutions?

    There's two areas within QT you must check. First, close
    SM, then open the QT icon from within control panel. In the
    drop down select Browser Plug-in, then click on the Mine
    Settings at the bottom. Then the other is the File Type
    Assocations. Check your settings there, too.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: Quick Time

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Much against my better judgment (questionable, I freely admit) I
    > recently installed Quick Time on my system in order to deal with one
    > particular link someone sent me. I long ago banished it from my
    > system as "evil and intrusive."
    >
    > Tonight, I just clicked on a link on my own web site to an .mp3 file.
    > Quick Time started playing the song in a browser window in SeaMonkey.
    > I checked the Quick Time and the Winamp (my preferred player)
    > preferences and all seemed in order. So, what the hell is allowing
    > Quick Time to be the handler for .mp3 files in SM?
    >
    > I checked my Windows File Types and my SM Helper Applications
    > preferences for Quick Time and mp3-related listings and my Winamp File
    > Types settings and found nothing amiss. mp3 files /should/ be handled
    > by Winamp. But Quick Time is usurping mp3 filetypes both online and
    > in playing local disk mp3 files.
    >
    > Yes, I know the easy answer (which I'm about to take) is to uninstall
    > Quick Time. But, this is silly, and is one example of the arrogance
    > of Apple and Steve Jobs in how they treat customers - assuming that
    > "Apple knows best."
    >
    > Does anyone have an answer for this dilemma? It's been so many years
    > since I allowed Quick Time on my system that I can't remember the
    > answer to this, and it may be that whatever answer I may have
    > discovered in the past no longer works.
    >
    > So, before I just un-install this evil application, anyone got any
    > solutions?

    WAG: If there is a quicktime plugin in SM then by removing it perhaps SM
    would continue to play mp3s the way it used to. For mov's and such, it
    should ask how to handle it and you could then browse to quicktime. Maybe.

  4. Re: Quick Time

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Much against my better judgment (questionable, I freely admit) I
    > recently installed Quick Time on my system in order to deal with one
    > particular link someone sent me. I long ago banished it from my system
    > as "evil and intrusive."
    >
    > Tonight, I just clicked on a link on my own web site to an .mp3 file.
    > Quick Time started playing the song in a browser window in SeaMonkey. I
    > checked the Quick Time and the Winamp (my preferred player) preferences
    > and all seemed in order. So, what the hell is allowing Quick Time to
    > be the handler for .mp3 files in SM?
    >
    > I checked my Windows File Types and my SM Helper Applications
    > preferences for Quick Time and mp3-related listings and my Winamp File
    > Types settings and found nothing amiss. mp3 files /should/ be handled
    > by Winamp. But Quick Time is usurping mp3 filetypes both online and in
    > playing local disk mp3 files.
    >
    > Yes, I know the easy answer (which I'm about to take) is to uninstall
    > Quick Time. But, this is silly, and is one example of the arrogance of
    > Apple and Steve Jobs in how they treat customers - assuming that "Apple
    > knows best."
    >
    > Does anyone have an answer for this dilemma? It's been so many years
    > since I allowed Quick Time on my system that I can't remember the answer
    > to this, and it may be that whatever answer I may have discovered in the
    > past no longer works.
    >
    > So, before I just un-install this evil application, anyone got any
    > solutions?

    I'm not a PC user but from past readings on on this and other mozilla
    forums; its my understanding that on windows machine there are at least
    two maybe three places in the system you have to set mime types types
    and what handles them .

  5. Re: Quick Time

    On 8/18/2007 9:33 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Much against my better judgment (questionable, I freely admit) I
    > recently installed Quick Time on my system in order to deal with one
    > particular link someone sent me. I long ago banished it from my system
    > as "evil and intrusive."
    >
    > Tonight, I just clicked on a link on my own web site to an .mp3 file.
    > Quick Time started playing the song in a browser window in SeaMonkey. I
    > checked the Quick Time and the Winamp (my preferred player) preferences
    > and all seemed in order. So, what the hell is allowing Quick Time to
    > be the handler for .mp3 files in SM?
    >
    > I checked my Windows File Types and my SM Helper Applications
    > preferences for Quick Time and mp3-related listings and my Winamp File
    > Types settings and found nothing amiss. mp3 files /should/ be handled
    > by Winamp. But Quick Time is usurping mp3 filetypes both online and in
    > playing local disk mp3 files.
    >
    > Yes, I know the easy answer (which I'm about to take) is to uninstall
    > Quick Time. But, this is silly, and is one example of the arrogance of
    > Apple and Steve Jobs in how they treat customers - assuming that "Apple
    > knows best."
    >
    > Does anyone have an answer for this dilemma? It's been so many years
    > since I allowed Quick Time on my system that I can't remember the answer
    > to this, and it may be that whatever answer I may have discovered in the
    > past no longer works.
    >
    > So, before I just un-install this evil application, anyone got any
    > solutions?

    Launch Winamp. Right-click. Select [Options > Preferences].

    On the left pane of the Winamp Preferences window, select [General >
    File Types]. Check the checkbox for "Restore the file associations…"
    You might also want to check the checkbox for "Enable Winamp agent".

    --

    David E. Ross
    .

    bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation. © 1997

  6. Re: Quick Time

    David E. Ross wrote:
    > On 8/18/2007 9:33 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Much against my better judgment (questionable, I freely admit) I
    >> recently installed Quick Time on my system in order to deal with one
    >> particular link someone sent me. I long ago banished it from my system
    >> as "evil and intrusive."
    >>
    >> Tonight, I just clicked on a link on my own web site to an .mp3 file.
    >> Quick Time started playing the song in a browser window in SeaMonkey. I
    >> checked the Quick Time and the Winamp (my preferred player) preferences
    >> and all seemed in order. So, what the hell is allowing Quick Time to
    >> be the handler for .mp3 files in SM?
    >>
    >> I checked my Windows File Types and my SM Helper Applications
    >> preferences for Quick Time and mp3-related listings and my Winamp File
    >> Types settings and found nothing amiss. mp3 files /should/ be handled
    >> by Winamp. But Quick Time is usurping mp3 filetypes both online and in
    >> playing local disk mp3 files.
    >>
    >> Yes, I know the easy answer (which I'm about to take) is to uninstall
    >> Quick Time. But, this is silly, and is one example of the arrogance of
    >> Apple and Steve Jobs in how they treat customers - assuming that "Apple
    >> knows best."
    >>
    >> Does anyone have an answer for this dilemma? It's been so many years
    >> since I allowed Quick Time on my system that I can't remember the answer
    >> to this, and it may be that whatever answer I may have discovered in the
    >> past no longer works.
    >>
    >> So, before I just un-install this evil application, anyone got any
    >> solutions?
    >>

    > Launch Winamp. Right-click. Select [Options > Preferences].
    >
    > On the left pane of the Winamp Preferences window, select [General >
    > File Types]. Check the checkbox for "Restore the file associations…"
    > You might also want to check the checkbox for "Enable Winamp agent".

    should you then set up win amp not to handle the association you want
    quicktime to handle.

  7. Re: Quick Time

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Much against my better judgment (questionable, I freely admit) I
    > recently installed Quick Time on my system in order to deal with one
    > particular link someone sent me. I long ago banished it from my system
    > as "evil and intrusive."
    >
    > Tonight, I just clicked on a link on my own web site to an .mp3 file.
    > Quick Time started playing the song in a browser window in SeaMonkey. I
    > checked the Quick Time and the Winamp (my preferred player) preferences
    > and all seemed in order. So, what the hell is allowing Quick Time to
    > be the handler for .mp3 files in SM?
    >
    > I checked my Windows File Types and my SM Helper Applications
    > preferences for Quick Time and mp3-related listings and my Winamp File
    > Types settings and found nothing amiss. mp3 files /should/ be handled
    > by Winamp. But Quick Time is usurping mp3 filetypes both online and in
    > playing local disk mp3 files.
    >
    > Yes, I know the easy answer (which I'm about to take) is to uninstall
    > Quick Time. But, this is silly, and is one example of the arrogance of
    > Apple and Steve Jobs in how they treat customers - assuming that "Apple
    > knows best."
    >
    > Does anyone have an answer for this dilemma? It's been so many years
    > since I allowed Quick Time on my system that I can't remember the answer
    > to this, and it may be that whatever answer I may have discovered in the
    > past no longer works.
    >
    > So, before I just un-install this evil application, anyone got any
    > solutions?

    I uninstalled it and downloaded Quicktime Alternative. It uses
    Quicktime codecs but runs a program called Media Player Classic which
    looks and feels like the original Media Player but will run many types
    of videos etc, including .mov. It is also free.

    --
    Gerald Ross
    Cochran, GA

    The man who makes no mistakes does not