SuiteRunner themes - Mozilla

This is a discussion on SuiteRunner themes - Mozilla ; All the SeaMonkey themes on my site (see below for link) have been made to work for the SuiteRunner (SeaMonkey 2.0a1pre). -- Sailfish - Netscape/Mozilla Champion Netscape/Mozilla Tips: http://www.ufaq.org/ , http://ilias.ca/ mozilla-based Themes: http://www.projectit.com/freestuff.html...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: SuiteRunner themes

  1. SuiteRunner themes

    All the SeaMonkey themes on my site (see below for link) have been made
    to work for the SuiteRunner (SeaMonkey 2.0a1pre).

    --
    Sailfish - Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    Netscape/Mozilla Tips: http://www.ufaq.org/ , http://ilias.ca/
    mozilla-based Themes: http://www.projectit.com/freestuff.html


  2. Re: SuiteRunner themes

    Sailfish wrote:
    > All the SeaMonkey themes on my site (see below for link) have been made
    > to work for the SuiteRunner (SeaMonkey 2.0a1pre).
    >


    When using XPI install, the newly-installed themes don't appear: neither in
    the add-ons manager nor under View => Apply theme, not even after restarting
    SeaMonkey. With JAR install the new theme does appear immediately.

    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9a8pre) Gecko/2007081501
    SeaMonkey/2.0a1pre


    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    The herd instinct among economists makes sheep look like independent
    thinkers.

  3. Re: SuiteRunner themes

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > Sailfish wrote:
    >> All the SeaMonkey themes on my site (see below for link) have been
    >> made to work for the SuiteRunner (SeaMonkey 2.0a1pre).
    >>

    >
    > When using XPI install, the newly-installed themes don't appear: neither
    > in the add-ons manager nor under View => Apply theme, not even after
    > restarting SeaMonkey. With JAR install the new theme does appear
    > immediately.
    >
    > Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9a8pre) Gecko/2007081501
    > SeaMonkey/2.0a1pre
    >

    Honestly, I tested the JAR and assumed the XPI-install would
    still work as in 1.x (now realizing that this wouldn't be the case.)

    IOW, that's my weasle-worded way of admitting I hadn't tested the
    XPI-install :-(


    I've re-written the site to treat SM2.x themes now like I do with
    Firefox ones and have removed the XPI-install option.

    Thanks.

    --
    Sailfish - Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    Netscape/Mozilla Tips: http://www.ufaq.org/ , http://ilias.ca/
    mozilla-based Themes: http://www.projectit.com/freestuff.html


  4. Re: SuiteRunner themes

    Sailfish wrote:
    > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >> Sailfish wrote:
    >>> All the SeaMonkey themes on my site (see below for link) have been
    >>> made to work for the SuiteRunner (SeaMonkey 2.0a1pre).
    >>>

    >>
    >> When using XPI install, the newly-installed themes don't appear:
    >> neither in the add-ons manager nor under View => Apply theme, not even
    >> after restarting SeaMonkey. With JAR install the new theme does appear
    >> immediately.
    >>
    >> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9a8pre) Gecko/2007081501
    >> SeaMonkey/2.0a1pre
    >>

    > Honestly, I tested the JAR and assumed the XPI-install would
    > still work as in 1.x (now realizing that this wouldn't be the case.)
    >
    > IOW, that's my weasle-worded way of admitting I hadn't tested the
    > XPI-install :-(

    >
    > I've re-written the site to treat SM2.x themes now like I do with
    > Firefox ones and have removed the XPI-install option.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >


    Actually, the XPI install proceeds to the message "Theme soandso has been
    installed successfully", but then the new theme doesn't appear next to the
    "SeaMonkey Default" and "SeaMonkey Modern" themes. (It doesn't appear among
    the Extensions either.) (I specified profile install, because I use nightly
    ..tar.bz2 distros.) I guess there's something fishy in the way xpinstall code
    was migrated. But it's just a guess.


    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    "You are old," said the youth, "as I mentioned before,
    And make errors few people could bear;
    You complain about everyone's English but yours --
    Do you really think this is quite fair?"

    "I make lots of mistakes," Father William declared,
    "But my stature these days is so great
    That no critic can hurt me -- I've got them all scared,
    And to stop me it's now far too late."

  5. Re: SuiteRunner themes

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > Sailfish wrote:
    >> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >>> Sailfish wrote:
    >>>> All the SeaMonkey themes on my site (see below for link) have been
    >>>> made to work for the SuiteRunner (SeaMonkey 2.0a1pre).
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> When using XPI install, the newly-installed themes don't appear:
    >>> neither in the add-ons manager nor under View => Apply theme, not
    >>> even after restarting SeaMonkey. With JAR install the new theme does
    >>> appear immediately.
    >>>
    >>> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9a8pre) Gecko/2007081501
    >>> SeaMonkey/2.0a1pre
    >>>

    >> Honestly, I tested the JAR and assumed the XPI-install
    >> would still work as in 1.x (now realizing that this wouldn't be the
    >> case.)
    >>
    >> IOW, that's my weasle-worded way of admitting I hadn't tested the
    >> XPI-install :-(

    >>
    >> I've re-written the site to treat SM2.x themes now like I do with
    >> Firefox ones and have removed the XPI-install option.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    >
    > Actually, the XPI install proceeds to the message "Theme soandso has
    > been installed successfully", but then the new theme doesn't appear next
    > to the "SeaMonkey Default" and "SeaMonkey Modern" themes. (It doesn't
    > appear among the Extensions either.) (I specified profile install,
    > because I use nightly .tar.bz2 distros.) I guess there's something fishy
    > in the way xpinstall code was migrated. But it's just a guess.
    >

    Your guess is correct. Themes, nor extensions for that matter, will be
    able to as easily install themselves in the installation directory
    paths. It's a better system in many ways but at the loss of this capability.

    As it turns out, XPI-installs for themes had been frown upon for quite
    some time anyway.


    --
    Sailfish - Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    Netscape/Mozilla Tips: http://www.ufaq.org/ , http://ilias.ca/
    mozilla-based Themes: http://www.projectit.com/freestuff.html

  6. Re: SuiteRunner themes

    Sailfish wrote:
    > All the SeaMonkey themes on my site (see below for link) have been made
    > to work for the SuiteRunner (SeaMonkey 2.0a1pre).


    Nice ;-)

    I guess you'll have to do some further changes on the way until
    SeaMonkey 2 gets stable, but it's good to have some more possibilities
    to choose from in testing.
    I have a version of EarlyBlue working locally, but I probably won't make
    it public until we at least release an alpha.

    Robert Kaiser


  7. Re: SuiteRunner themes

    Robert Kaiser wrote:
    > I guess you'll have to do some further changes on the way until
    > SeaMonkey 2 gets stable, but it's good to have some more possibilities
    > to choose from in testing.


    yes, it's good, I agree

    > I have a version of EarlyBlue working locally, but I probably won't make
    > it public until we at least release an alpha.
    >
    > Robert Kaiser
    >


    :-( In the meantime (and at the moment), I'm using Sky Pilot Classic (which
    uses a similar range of colors) with a few userChrome.css tweaks.


    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    In a medium in which a News Piece takes a minute and an "In-Depth"
    Piece takes two minutes, the Simple will drive out the Complex.
    -- Frank Mankiewicz

  8. Re: SuiteRunner themes

    Robert Kaiser wrote:
    > Sailfish wrote:
    >> All the SeaMonkey themes on my site (see below for link) have been
    >> made to work for the SuiteRunner (SeaMonkey 2.0a1pre).

    >
    > Nice ;-)
    >
    > I guess you'll have to do some further changes on the way until
    > SeaMonkey 2 gets stable, but it's good to have some more possibilities
    > to choose from in testing.


    Yes, but I was pleasantly surprised at how minor the changes were from
    the last non-SuiteRunner theme versions. Mostly having to tweak
    mozapps/extensions/extensions.css. One of the more challenging parts was
    figuring out which Registry entries to add so that I could make changes
    and test them without having to repackage and install.

    For others on Windows who may be interested, it's described here:

    http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs...ndows_Registry

    and for SuiteRunner, the two Registry keys are:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\ Extensions]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\E xtensions]

    > I have a version of EarlyBlue working locally, but I probably won't make
    > it public until we at least release an alpha.
    >

    Yep, that's one that lots of folks are waiting for, methinks.

    --
    Sailfish - Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    Netscape/Mozilla Tips: http://www.ufaq.org/ , http://ilias.ca/
    mozilla-based Themes: http://www.projectit.com/freestuff.html

+ Reply to Thread