First tab - won't go back or close. (reposted with correct contactaddress) - Mozilla

This is a discussion on First tab - won't go back or close. (reposted with correct contactaddress) - Mozilla ; Hello - I've run across this problem a couple of times, and it's occurring again on a brand new, freshly installed machine. When opening SeaMonkey the first tab just doesn't work properly. I can click links within the tab and ...

  1. First tab - won't go back or close. (reposted with correct contactaddress)

    Hello -

    I've run across this problem a couple of times, and it's occurring again
    on a brand new, freshly installed machine. When opening SeaMonkey
    the first tab just doesn't work properly. I can click links within the
    tab and it will load them, but the back button will NOT function, the
    tab will not close no matter how I try to make it do so, and the URL bar
    displays the address of the page loaded in the last tab I looked at
    before clicking back to the first one.

    Argh.

    Any additional tabs opened work perfectly, but the first tab refuses to.
    I thought for certain this problem would go away with a new machine and
    fresh install, but it has not. I've searched through about:config trying
    to figure out a way to force it to work but I'm not coming up with
    anything that makes sense.

    Any suggestions, work arounds, or fixes would be VERY appreciated.

    SeaMonkey 1.1.3, XP Pro, and Adblock Plus, SeaNotes, Home Button, Cute
    Menus, and ImageZoom installed extensions.

    TIA,

    Jennifer

  2. Re: First tab - won't go back or close. (reposted with correct contactaddress)

    Jen wrote:
    > Hello -
    >
    > I've run across this problem a couple of times, and it's occurring again
    > on a brand new, freshly installed machine. When opening SeaMonkey the
    > first tab just doesn't work properly. I can click links within the tab
    > and it will load them, but the back button will NOT function, the tab
    > will not close no matter how I try to make it do so, and the URL bar
    > displays the address of the page loaded in the last tab I looked at
    > before clicking back to the first one.
    >
    > Argh.
    >
    > Any additional tabs opened work perfectly, but the first tab refuses to.
    > I thought for certain this problem would go away with a new machine and
    > fresh install, but it has not. I've searched through about:config trying
    > to figure out a way to force it to work but I'm not coming up with
    > anything that makes sense.
    >
    > Any suggestions, work arounds, or fixes would be VERY appreciated.
    >
    > SeaMonkey 1.1.3, XP Pro, and Adblock Plus, SeaNotes, Home Button, Cute
    > Menus, and ImageZoom installed extensions.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Jennifer

    The workaround is obvious: open a placeholder page (about:config maybe) in the
    first tab, then open your "real" first tab in a new tab.

    You may also try disabling your extensions one by one to see if the symptoms
    change.

    For the record, I have worse than you do, on Linux. I have a multitab
    homepage, but when I start SeaMonkey, only the first tab will load. Although I
    have it set to display the tab bar even when there is only one tab, no tab bar
    shows. I can follow a link in the page, but the Back button doesn't work, nor
    does the "New Tab" button.

    If I keep repeatedly opening new windows (new windows are set to display my
    home page), it may happen that one of them works correctly: then I can close
    the other ones. Or if none of them does after 10 or 20 single-tab windows,
    Ctrl-Q closes them all, then when restarting after that, the _second_ window
    usually has functioning tabs and buttons. From there it's Alt-Tab, Ctrl-W.

    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9a8pre) Gecko/2007080801
    SeaMonkey/2.0a1pre

    Modern theme, and extensions as follows:
    Adblock Plus 0.7.5.1
    BBCodeXtra 0.2.5.6 (2)
    Console2 0.3.7 (2)
    deviantSkin 0.5.1 (2)
    DOM Inspector 1.9a8pre (1)
    Duplicate Tab 0.9 (2)
    HTML Validator 0.8.4.0 (2)
    Live HTTP Headers 0.13.1
    MR Tech Local Install 5.3.2.5
    Remember Mismatched Domains 1.4.3 (2)
    SeaMonkey Debug and QA UI 1.0pre (1)
    Tabs Menu 1.4.5
    Tinderstatus 0.2.4

    Notes:
    (1) Distributed together with SeaMonkey
    (2) Requires version compatibility override

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Graduate life -- it's not just a job, it's an indenture.

  3. Re: First tab - won't go back or close. (reposted with correct contactaddress)

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > Jen wrote:
    >> Hello -
    >>
    >> I've run across this problem a couple of times, and it's occurring
    >> again on a brand new, freshly installed machine. When opening
    >> SeaMonkey the first tab just doesn't work properly. I can click links
    >> within the tab and it will load them, but the back button will NOT
    >> function, the tab will not close no matter how I try to make it do so,
    >> and the URL bar displays the address of the page loaded in the last
    >> tab I looked at before clicking back to the first one.
    >>
    >> Argh.
    >>
    >> Any additional tabs opened work perfectly, but the first tab refuses
    >> to. I thought for certain this problem would go away with a new
    >> machine and fresh install, but it has not. I've searched through
    >> about:config trying to figure out a way to force it to work but I'm
    >> not coming up with anything that makes sense.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions, work arounds, or fixes would be VERY appreciated.
    >>
    >> SeaMonkey 1.1.3, XP Pro, and Adblock Plus, SeaNotes, Home Button, Cute
    >> Menus, and ImageZoom installed extensions.
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Jennifer

    > The workaround is obvious: open a placeholder page (about:config maybe)
    > in the first tab, then open your "real" first tab in a new tab.
    >
    > You may also try disabling your extensions one by one to see if the
    > symptoms change.
    >
    > For the record, I have worse than you do, on Linux. I have a multitab
    > homepage, but when I start SeaMonkey, only the first tab will load.
    > Although I have it set to display the tab bar even when there is only
    > one tab, no tab bar shows. I can follow a link in the page, but the Back
    > button doesn't work, nor does the "New Tab" button.

    Tony, just for the record, I have MandrivaLinux 2007 with SM 1.1.3 (at
    this stage) with my Home group set to open four pages, two weather
    sites, my ISP's home page and the active page is blank. Works no worries
    for me.

    Daniel

  4. Re: First tab - won't go back or close. (reposted with correct contactaddress)

    Daniel wrote:
    [...]
    > Tony, just for the record, I have MandrivaLinux 2007 with SM 1.1.3 (at
    > this stage) with my Home group set to open four pages, two weather
    > sites, my ISP's home page and the active page is blank. Works no worries
    > for me.
    >
    > Daniel

    Lucky you.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    The qotc (quote of the con) was Liz's:
    "My brain is paged out to my liver"

  5. Re: First tab - won't go back or close. (reposted with correct contactaddress)

    On 08/08/2007 11:54 AM, Jen wrote:
    > Hello -
    >
    > I've run across this problem a couple of times, and it's occurring again
    > on a brand new, freshly installed machine. When opening SeaMonkey
    > the first tab just doesn't work properly. I can click links within the
    > tab and it will load them, but the back button will NOT function, the
    > tab will not close no matter how I try to make it do so, and the URL bar
    > displays the address of the page loaded in the last tab I looked at
    > before clicking back to the first one.
    >
    > Argh.
    >
    > Any additional tabs opened work perfectly, but the first tab refuses to.
    > I thought for certain this problem would go away with a new machine and
    > fresh install, but it has not. I've searched through about:config trying
    > to figure out a way to force it to work but I'm not coming up with
    > anything that makes sense.
    >
    > Any suggestions, work arounds, or fixes would be VERY appreciated.
    >
    > SeaMonkey 1.1.3, XP Pro, and Adblock Plus, SeaNotes, Home Button, Cute
    > Menus, and ImageZoom installed extensions.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Jennifer

    Works fine on SM 1.1.4 linux w/Prefbar as the only extension.

    First, update to 1.1.4 for security reasons, then remove your extensions
    one at a time and I'll be that the problem will be related to one of
    them that is causing the problem.

  6. Re: First tab - won't go back or close. (reposted with correct contactaddress)

    On 08/08/2007 12:29 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > Jen wrote:

    [snip]

    >> SeaMonkey 1.1.3, XP Pro, and Adblock Plus, SeaNotes, Home Button, Cute
    >> Menus, and ImageZoom installed extensions.
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Jennifer

    > The workaround is obvious: open a placeholder page (about:config maybe) in the
    > first tab, then open your "real" first tab in a new tab.
    >
    > You may also try disabling your extensions one by one to see if the symptoms
    > change.
    >
    > For the record, I have worse than you do, on Linux. I have a multitab
    > homepage, but when I start SeaMonkey, only the first tab will load. Although I
    > have it set to display the tab bar even when there is only one tab, no tab bar
    > shows. I can follow a link in the page, but the Back button doesn't work, nor
    > does the "New Tab" button.

    Ummm... are you purposely trying to confuse the issue? You are running a
    pre-released development version of SM, the OP is trying to resolve a
    current (well -1) version of SM.

    [snip]
    > Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9a8pre) Gecko/2007080801
    > SeaMonkey/2.0a1pre

    [snip]

  7. Re: First tab - won't go back or close. (WORK AROUND)

    Well, although I haven't solved the problem and have yet to find the
    time to really dig into the extensions or try to figure out if I can
    find/fix the bug that's causing this I DID find a work around that works
    for now.

    If I launch 2 SeaMonkey windows, then close the first window I opened I
    don't have the problem. I have no idea why only the first window I open
    has this bug, while the second window works flawlessly. I am anxiously
    awaiting the 1.5 release with the hopes that most of these odd bugs have
    been resolved. I can't wait to start giving it out to our customers.

    Still interested in any solutions if anyone comes across them - thanks!

    Jen wrote:
    > Hello -
    >
    > I've run across this problem a couple of times, and it's occurring again
    > on a brand new, freshly installed machine. When opening SeaMonkey the
    > first tab just doesn't work properly. I can click links within the tab
    > and it will load them, but the back button will NOT function, the tab
    > will not close no matter how I try to make it do so, and the URL bar
    > displays the address of the page loaded in the last tab I looked at
    > before clicking back to the first one.
    >
    > Argh.
    >
    > Any additional tabs opened work perfectly, but the first tab refuses to.
    > I thought for certain this problem would go away with a new machine and
    > fresh install, but it has not. I've searched through about:config trying
    > to figure out a way to force it to work but I'm not coming up with
    > anything that makes sense.
    >
    > Any suggestions, work arounds, or fixes would be VERY appreciated.
    >
    > SeaMonkey 1.1.3, XP Pro, and Adblock Plus, SeaNotes, Home Button, Cute
    > Menus, and ImageZoom installed extensions.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Jennifer

  8. Re: First tab - won't go back or close. (WORK AROUND)

    Jen wrote:

    > Well, although I haven't solved the problem and have yet to find the
    > time to really dig into the extensions or try to figure out if I can
    > find/fix the bug that's causing this I DID find a work around that works
    > for now.
    >
    > If I launch 2 SeaMonkey windows, then close the first window I opened I
    > don't have the problem. I have no idea why only the first window I open
    > has this bug, while the second window works flawlessly. I am anxiously
    > awaiting the 1.5 release with the hopes that most of these odd bugs have
    > been resolved. I can't wait to start giving it out to our customers.
    >
    > Still interested in any solutions if anyone comes across them - thanks!
    >

    > Jen wrote:
    >> Hello -
    >>
    >> I've run across this problem a couple of times, and it's occurring
    >> again on a brand new, freshly installed machine. When opening
    >> SeaMonkey the first tab just doesn't work properly. I can click links
    >> within the tab and it will load them, but the back button will NOT
    >> function, the tab will not close no matter how I try to make it do so,
    >> and the URL bar displays the address of the page loaded in the last
    >> tab I looked at before clicking back to the first one.
    >>
    >> Argh.
    >>
    >> Any additional tabs opened work perfectly, but the first tab refuses
    >> to. I thought for certain this problem would go away with a new
    >> machine and fresh install, but it has not. I've searched through
    >> about:config trying to figure out a way to force it to work but I'm
    >> not coming up with anything that makes sense.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions, work arounds, or fixes would be VERY appreciated.
    >>
    >> SeaMonkey 1.1.3, XP Pro, and Adblock Plus, SeaNotes, Home Button, Cute
    >> Menus, and ImageZoom installed extensions.
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Jennifer

    How old is your profile? I just updated both machines to SM 1.1.4 last
    night. The first tab problem, which I'd seen once before on my desktop,
    is back. Mine looks normal to start with, but then picks up the URL
    from other tabs. It also doesn't show my google adsense ads, or visited
    status of links. All works fine in other tabs and on the laptop.

    I know my profile is buggy, have not been able to transfer it to the laptop.

    I can't remember what solved the problem last time, I just ignored the
    first tab for so long and then one day it was working.

    Janine

+ Reply to Thread