Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> Tony Mechelynck wrote:

>>> In Thunderbird => Preferences => Display => Formatting, click "Fonts"
>>> near bottom right; then UNcheck "Apply the default encoding to all
>>> incoming messages".
>>>
>>> With that box unchecked, all messages "with proper headers" will have
>>> their encoding correctly set.
>>>
>>> The critical header is "Content-Type": here are a few examples (you
>>> can see the headers by hitting Ctrl-U or clicking View => Message
>>> source).

>>> If Content-Type is multipart/something you've got a multipart MIME
>>> message and each part may have its own encoding, or even be in
>>> binary. Scroll further down to see the encoding (if any) for each part.
>>>

>>> Best regards,
>>> Tony.

>> What I want is regardless of whether its original sent as Greek or
>> Hebrew of French or whatever that I end up viewing as 8859-1
>>
>> Is the description given for TB correct to do that?
>>

> Invert the checkbox then, but you'll end up seeing text as other than
> what was meant: IOW, you'll be intentionally garbling the text. What you
> must understand is that by doing so you will change the _interpretation_
> of the bits making up the text, you will in effect _forbid_ (not
> _enforce_) translation from the charset of the email to your preferred
> charset.
>
> For instance, if it's sent as UTF-8 and you force it to Latin1, you'll see:
>
> the cent symbol as ¢ instead of ¢
> the e-acute (as in /risqué/) as é instead of é
> the n-tilde (as in /Señor/ or /mañana/) as ñ instead of ñ
>
> and so on.
>
> Not to mention what will happen if you get a reply from someone in China
> (as happens to me day-in-day-out on one the mailing lists to whom I'm
> subscribed) and the start-of quote line in his mailer (you know, "on

I don't read stuff from china, Japan , French, Spanish , Portugal, etc.

But what I am finding is that massages sent to these groups or emails
from people I know show although in English shows up looking funny, like
written in italics or some stylized text (not html) I go look at the
encoding its shows Greek (8859-*), Arabic (8859-*)

If I change them to 8859-1 then they look as they should.

Its seems if some even on these groups have their encodings set wrong
and something I don't have set right is causing it to look funny.