Adding names to Address book - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Adding names to Address book - Mozilla ; When I add email addresses by right-clicking on one in an email, my default address book does not show up in the box at the top of the open window (box is blank) and I have to click here to ...

  1. Adding names to Address book

    When I add email addresses by right-clicking on one in an email, my
    default address book does not show up in the box at the top of the open
    window (box is blank) and I have to click here to make it appear. How
    can I get my address book (Adresses) to appear by default here?

    The file where my addresses are stored is: history.mab.

    Here is what I have in my prefs.js: (one line is wrapped, not on the file)

    user_pref("ldap_2.prefs_migrated", true);
    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.filename", "default.mab");
    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.replication.lastChangeNumbe r", 0);
    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.uri",
    ("moz-abldapdirectory://default.mab");
    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.history.description", "Adresses");
    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.history.replication.lastChangeNumbe r", 0);
    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.filename", "history.mab");
    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.replication.lastChangeNumber", 0);

    Any suggestion appreciated. Thanks
    --
    John Doue

  2. Re: Adding names to Address book

    John Doue wrote:
    > When I add email addresses by right-clicking on one in an email, my
    > default address book does not show up in the box at the top of the open
    > window (box is blank) and I have to click here to make it appear. How
    > can I get my address book (Adresses) to appear by default here?
    >
    > The file where my addresses are stored is: history.mab.
    >
    > Here is what I have in my prefs.js: (one line is wrapped, not on the file)
    >
    > user_pref("ldap_2.prefs_migrated", true);
    > user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.filename", "default.mab");
    > user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.replication.lastChangeNumbe r", 0);
    > user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.uri",
    > ("moz-abldapdirectory://default.mab");
    > user_pref("ldap_2.servers.history.description", "Adresses");
    > user_pref("ldap_2.servers.history.replication.lastChangeNumbe r", 0);
    > user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.filename", "history.mab");
    > user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.replication.lastChangeNumber", 0);

    Your prefs.js is the problem I suspect. As you've set the
    ldap_2.servers.pab filename to history.mab, but haven't overridden the
    default for ldap_2.servers.history that'll be pointing to history.mab as
    well. Which isn't a good idea.

    Standard8

  3. Re: Adding names to Address book

    Mark Banner wrote:
    > John Doue wrote:
    >> When I add email addresses by right-clicking on one in an email, my
    >> default address book does not show up in the box at the top of the
    >> open window (box is blank) and I have to click here to make it appear.
    >> How can I get my address book (Adresses) to appear by default here?
    >>
    >> The file where my addresses are stored is: history.mab.
    >>
    >> Here is what I have in my prefs.js: (one line is wrapped, not on the
    >> file)
    >>
    >> user_pref("ldap_2.prefs_migrated", true);
    >> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.filename", "default.mab");
    >> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.replication.lastChangeNumbe r", 0);
    >> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.uri",
    >> ("moz-abldapdirectory://default.mab");
    >> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.history.description", "Adresses");
    >> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.history.replication.lastChangeNumbe r", 0);
    >> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.filename", "history.mab");
    >> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.replication.lastChangeNumber", 0);

    > Your prefs.js is the problem I suspect. As you've set the
    > ldap_2.servers.pab filename to history.mab, but haven't overridden the
    > default for ldap_2.servers.history that'll be pointing to history.mab as
    > well. Which isn't a good idea.
    >
    > Standard8

    I am quite convinced those settings are the problem, but I cannot find
    the way to correct them the adequate way. Your suggestion is ...?

    Thanks

    --
    John Doue

  4. Re: Adding names to Address book

    John Doue wrote:
    > Mark Banner wrote:

    >> Your prefs.js is the problem I suspect. As you've set the
    >> ldap_2.servers.pab filename to history.mab, but haven't overridden the
    >> default for ldap_2.servers.history that'll be pointing to history.mab
    >> as well. Which isn't a good idea.
    >>
    >> Standard8

    > I am quite convinced those settings are the problem, but I cannot find
    > the way to correct them the adequate way. Your suggestion is ...?

    Remove the user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.filename", "history.mab"); and
    let it default to abook.mab. Your history address book can then use
    history.mab by itself, and your personal address book can use abook.mab.

    Standard8

  5. Re: Adding names to Address book

    Mark Banner wrote:
    > John Doue wrote:
    >> Mark Banner wrote:

    >>> Your prefs.js is the problem I suspect. As you've set the
    >>> ldap_2.servers.pab filename to history.mab, but haven't overridden
    >>> the default for ldap_2.servers.history that'll be pointing to
    >>> history.mab as well. Which isn't a good idea.
    >>>
    >>> Standard8

    >> I am quite convinced those settings are the problem, but I cannot find
    >> the way to correct them the adequate way. Your suggestion is ...?

    > Remove the user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.filename", "history.mab"); and
    > let it default to abook.mab. Your history address book can then use
    > history.mab by itself, and your personal address book can use abook.mab.
    >
    > Standard8

    Thanks Mark. I did try that but the result is not what I want: one
    single address book (who needs two, when the collect addresses options
    is disabled), named Adresses. The setting I posted give me just that,
    with the only drawback I mentionned. Any further ideas?

    Thanks for your interest.
    --
    John Doue

  6. Re: Adding names to Address book

    On 8/2/2007 12:51, John Doue wrote:
    > Mark Banner wrote:
    >> John Doue wrote:

    >>> I am quite convinced those settings are the problem, but I cannot find
    >>> the way to correct them the adequate way. Your suggestion is ...?

    >> Remove the user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.filename", "history.mab"); and
    >> let it default to abook.mab. Your history address book can then use
    >> history.mab by itself, and your personal address book can use abook.mab.
    >>
    >> Standard8

    > Thanks Mark. I did try that but the result is not what I want: one
    > single address book (who needs two, when the collect addresses options
    > is disabled), named Adresses. The setting I posted give me just that,
    > with the only drawback I mentionned. Any further ideas?
    >
    > Thanks for your interest.

    John,
    Do you use the "Collected Addresses" (history.mab) for anything ?
    If not try:
    reset default
    ldap_2.servers.pab.filename =abook.mab

    modify:
    ldap_2.servers.pab.description = Adresses

    Completely close Seamonkey and re open.......

    let us know if this works for you

    regards:captjlddavis

  7. Re: Adding names to Address book

    captjlddavis wrote:
    > On 8/2/2007 12:51, John Doue wrote:
    >> Mark Banner wrote:

    >>> Remove the user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.filename", "history.mab"); and
    >>> let it default to abook.mab. Your history address book can then use
    >>> history.mab by itself, and your personal address book can use abook.mab.
    >>>
    >>> Standard8

    >> Thanks Mark. I did try that but the result is not what I want: one
    >> single address book (who needs two, when the collect addresses options
    >> is disabled), named Adresses. The setting I posted give me just that,
    >> with the only drawback I mentionned. Any further ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your interest.

    > John,
    > Do you use the "Collected Addresses" (history.mab) for anything ?
    > If not try:
    > reset default
    > ldap_2.servers.pab.filename =abook.mab
    >
    > modify:
    > ldap_2.servers.pab.description = Adresses
    >
    > Completely close Seamonkey and re open.......
    >
    > let us know if this works for you
    >
    > regards:captjlddavis

    Thanks for the help. No, I have no use for history.mab, just wish to
    have one single address book, whatever filename it has.

    Since prefs.js gets overwritten upon closing, I tried your suggestions
    while SM was close. But may be I get them wrong, but no cigar.

    Would you mind modifying my setup:

    user_pref("ldap_2.prefs_migrated", true);
    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.filename", "default.mab");
    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.replication.lastChangeNumbe r", 0);
    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.uri",
    ("moz-abldapdirectory://default.mab");
    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.history.description", "Adresses");
    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.history.replication.lastChangeNumbe r", 0);
    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.filename", "history.mab");
    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.replication.lastChangeNumber", 0);

    as you suggest? I will report the results, of course.

    Thanks

    --
    John Doue

  8. Re: Adding names to Address book. SOLVED

    John Doue wrote:
    > captjlddavis wrote:

    >>> Thanks Mark. I did try that but the result is not what I want: one
    >>> single address book (who needs two, when the collect addresses
    >>> options is disabled), named Adresses. The setting I posted give me
    >>> just that, with the only drawback I mentionned. Any further ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your interest.

    >> John,
    >> Do you use the "Collected Addresses" (history.mab) for anything ?
    >> If not try:
    >> reset default
    >> ldap_2.servers.pab.filename =abook.mab
    >>
    >> modify:
    >> ldap_2.servers.pab.description = Adresses
    >>
    >> Completely close Seamonkey and re open.......
    >>
    >> let us know if this works for you
    >>
    >> regards:captjlddavis
    >>

    > Thanks for the help. No, I have no use for history.mab, just wish to
    > have one single address book, whatever filename it has.
    >
    > Since prefs.js gets overwritten upon closing, I tried your suggestions
    > while SM was close. But may be I get them wrong, but no cigar.
    >
    > Would you mind modifying my setup:
    >
    > user_pref("ldap_2.prefs_migrated", true);
    > user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.filename", "default.mab");
    > user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.replication.lastChangeNumbe r", 0);
    > user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.uri",
    > ("moz-abldapdirectory://default.mab");
    > user_pref("ldap_2.servers.history.description", "Adresses");
    > user_pref("ldap_2.servers.history.replication.lastChangeNumbe r", 0);
    > user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.filename", "history.mab");
    > user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.replication.lastChangeNumber", 0);
    >
    > as you suggest? I will report the results, of course.
    >
    > Thanks

    thanks to those advices and to the description of a bug related to the
    address book that I took advantage of, here is a set of lines that allow
    to have only one address book show up, and that properly fill in the
    field when adding an address by right-clicking on it.

    user_pref("ldap_2.prefs_migrated", true);
    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.filename", "default.mab");
    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.replication.lastChangeNumbe r", 0);
    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.uri",
    "moz-abldapdirectory://default.mab");
    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.history.filename", "d:\\default.mab");
    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.history.replication.lastChangeNumbe r", 0);
    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.description", "Adresses");
    user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.replication.lastChangeNumber", 0);

    Specifying a specific address for an address book is not admissible in
    SM and TB. Therefore doing it makes it disappear ... which is exactly
    what I wanted. The only change, compared to my initial setup, is that
    now abook.mab is the file that holds my addresses. I just had to change
    this in my automated backup system.

    Thanks to both of you, each of you has helped me figure out a way, plus
    some digging and a stroke of luck.

    --
    John Doue

  9. Re: Adding names to Address book. SOLVED

    On 8/3/2007 04:46, John Doue wrote:
    > John Doue wrote:
    >> captjlddavis wrote:

    >>> John,
    >>> Do you use the "Collected Addresses" (history.mab) for anything ?
    >>> If not try:
    >>> reset default
    >>> ldap_2.servers.pab.filename =abook.mab
    >>>
    >>> modify:
    >>> ldap_2.servers.pab.description = Adresses
    >>>
    >>> Completely close Seamonkey and re open.......
    >>>
    >>> let us know if this works for you
    >>>
    >>> regards:captjlddavis
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the help. No, I have no use for history.mab, just wish to
    >> have one single address book, whatever filename it has.
    >>
    >> Since prefs.js gets overwritten upon closing, I tried your suggestions
    >> while SM was close. But may be I get them wrong, but no cigar.
    >>
    >> Would you mind modifying my setup:
    >>
    >> user_pref("ldap_2.prefs_migrated", true);
    >> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.filename", "default.mab");
    >> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.replication.lastChangeNumbe r", 0);
    >> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.uri",
    >> ("moz-abldapdirectory://default.mab");
    >> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.history.description", "Adresses");
    >> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.history.replication.lastChangeNumbe r", 0);
    >> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.filename", "history.mab");
    >> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.replication.lastChangeNumber", 0);
    >>
    >> as you suggest? I will report the results, of course.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > thanks to those advices and to the description of a bug related to the
    > address book that I took advantage of, here is a set of lines that allow
    > to have only one address book show up, and that properly fill in the
    > field when adding an address by right-clicking on it.
    >
    > user_pref("ldap_2.prefs_migrated", true);
    > user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.filename", "default.mab");
    > user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.replication.lastChangeNumbe r", 0);
    > user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.uri",
    > "moz-abldapdirectory://default.mab");
    > user_pref("ldap_2.servers.history.filename", "d:\\default.mab");
    > user_pref("ldap_2.servers.history.replication.lastChangeNumbe r", 0);
    > user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.description", "Adresses");
    > user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.replication.lastChangeNumber", 0);
    >
    > Specifying a specific address for an address book is not admissible in
    > SM and TB. Therefore doing it makes it disappear ... which is exactly
    > what I wanted. The only change, compared to my initial setup, is that
    > now abook.mab is the file that holds my addresses. I just had to change
    > this in my automated backup system.
    >
    > Thanks to both of you, each of you has helped me figure out a way, plus
    > some digging and a stroke of luck.

    Glad you got it working....
    Just a side note, It is not a good idea to edit the "prefs.js" file
    manually, you should do the edits via "about:config" (type
    "about:config" ,without quotes ,in the loacation bar). and edit there.
    Non default entries will then be copied to the prefs.js file on closing.

    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit
    http://ilias.ca/archive/mozilla/customizing/

    regards:captjlddavis

  10. Re: Adding names to Address book. SOLVED

    captjlddavis wrote:
    > On 8/3/2007 04:46, John Doue wrote:
    >> John Doue wrote:

    >>> Thanks for the help. No, I have no use for history.mab, just wish to
    >>> have one single address book, whatever filename it has.
    >>>
    >>> Since prefs.js gets overwritten upon closing, I tried your suggestions
    >>> while SM was close. But may be I get them wrong, but no cigar.
    >>>
    >>> Would you mind modifying my setup:
    >>>
    >>> user_pref("ldap_2.prefs_migrated", true);
    >>> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.filename", "default.mab");
    >>> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.replication.lastChangeNumbe r", 0);
    >>> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.uri",
    >>> ("moz-abldapdirectory://default.mab");
    >>> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.history.description", "Adresses");
    >>> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.history.replication.lastChangeNumbe r", 0);
    >>> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.filename", "history.mab");
    >>> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.replication.lastChangeNumber", 0);
    >>>
    >>> as you suggest? I will report the results, of course.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> thanks to those advices and to the description of a bug related to the
    >> address book that I took advantage of, here is a set of lines that allow
    >> to have only one address book show up, and that properly fill in the
    >> field when adding an address by right-clicking on it.
    >>
    >> user_pref("ldap_2.prefs_migrated", true);
    >> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.filename", "default.mab");
    >> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.replication.lastChangeNumbe r", 0);
    >> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.default.uri",
    >> "moz-abldapdirectory://default.mab");
    >> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.history.filename", "d:\\default.mab");
    >> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.history.replication.lastChangeNumbe r", 0);
    >> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.description", "Adresses");
    >> user_pref("ldap_2.servers.pab.replication.lastChangeNumber", 0);
    >>
    >> Specifying a specific address for an address book is not admissible in
    >> SM and TB. Therefore doing it makes it disappear ... which is exactly
    >> what I wanted. The only change, compared to my initial setup, is that
    >> now abook.mab is the file that holds my addresses. I just had to change
    >> this in my automated backup system.
    >>
    >> Thanks to both of you, each of you has helped me figure out a way, plus
    >> some digging and a stroke of luck.
    >>

    > Glad you got it working....
    > Just a side note, It is not a good idea to edit the "prefs.js" file
    > manually, you should do the edits via "about:config" (type
    > "about:config" ,without quotes ,in the loacation bar). and edit there.
    > Non default entries will then be copied to the prefs.js file on closing.
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit
    > http://ilias.ca/archive/mozilla/customizing/
    >
    > regards:captjlddavis

    Hi Captain !

    You know, I have been editing prefs.js manually since Netscape 3.2 and
    old habits die hard! You are right of course. Thanks for the reminder.

    --
    John Doue

+ Reply to Thread