failing to Trash Junk - Mozilla

This is a discussion on failing to Trash Junk - Mozilla ; I have SM set to automatically move detected Junk from the Inbox to the Trash, but just recently noticed it's only working about 50% of the time. When it doesn't work, the message are marked as Junk, but remain in ...

  1. failing to Trash Junk

    I have SM set to automatically move detected Junk from the Inbox to the
    Trash, but just recently noticed it's only working about 50% of the
    time. When it doesn't work, the message are marked as Junk, but remain
    in my main Inbox subfolder. This happens on two machines.

    Anyone else?

    It started a few weeks ago.
    Maybe my other filters need to be re-arranged?

    SM 1.1.3, on two OSX 10.4.10 (PPC)

  2. Re: failing to Trash Junk

    Geoff Welsh wrote:
    > I have SM set to automatically move detected Junk from the Inbox to the
    > Trash, but just recently noticed it's only working about 50% of the
    > time. When it doesn't work, the message are marked as Junk, but remain
    > in my main Inbox subfolder. This happens on two machines.
    >
    > Anyone else?
    >
    > It started a few weeks ago.
    > Maybe my other filters need to be re-arranged?
    >
    > SM 1.1.3, on two OSX 10.4.10 (PPC)

    message filters take priority over junk filters.

    How big is your training.dat file [in your profile]. If its
    really big, over 1 megs, then maybe you need to start over.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: failing to Trash Junk

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Geoff Welsh wrote:
    >> I have SM set to automatically move detected Junk from the Inbox to
    >> the Trash, but just recently noticed it's only working about 50% of
    >> the time. When it doesn't work, the message are marked as Junk, but
    >> remain in my main Inbox subfolder. This happens on two machines.
    >>
    >> Anyone else?
    >>
    >> It started a few weeks ago.
    >> Maybe my other filters need to be re-arranged?
    >>
    >> SM 1.1.3, on two OSX 10.4.10 (PPC)

    > message filters take priority over junk filters.
    >
    > How big is your training.dat file [in your profile]. If its really big,
    > over 1 megs, then maybe you need to start over.

    756k on the machine better at finding junk, and 800k on the machine not
    as good at finding junk.
    But, you know what? It can't be a filter problem, or a training.dat
    problem, because it /IS/ labeling them Junk, it's just ignoring the Pref
    to put the crap in the Trash. If I click, Not Junk, then Junk, then it
    goes to the trash.

    Irritating.

    This started on two machines with separate profiles in just the last few
    weeks, so it may me a 1.1.3 thing. (?)

    GW

  4. Re: failing to Trash Junk

    Geoff Welsh wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Geoff Welsh wrote:
    >>> I have SM set to automatically move detected Junk from the Inbox to
    >>> the Trash, but just recently noticed it's only working about 50% of
    >>> the time. When it doesn't work, the message are marked as Junk, but
    >>> remain in my main Inbox subfolder. This happens on two machines.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone else?
    >>>
    >>> It started a few weeks ago.
    >>> Maybe my other filters need to be re-arranged?
    >>>
    >>> SM 1.1.3, on two OSX 10.4.10 (PPC)

    >> message filters take priority over junk filters.
    >>
    >> How big is your training.dat file [in your profile]. If its really
    >> big, over 1 megs, then maybe you need to start over.
    >>

    > 756k on the machine better at finding junk, and 800k on the machine not
    > as good at finding junk.
    > But, you know what? It can't be a filter problem, or a training.dat
    > problem, because it /IS/ labeling them Junk, it's just ignoring the Pref
    > to put the crap in the Trash. If I click, Not Junk, then Junk, then it
    > goes to the trash.
    >
    > Irritating.
    >
    > This started on two machines with separate profiles in just the last few
    > weeks, so it may me a 1.1.3 thing. (?)
    >
    > GW

    I do think it's a 1.1.3 thing - when I upgraded recently, I had
    the same problem on several machines. Resetting EDIT |
    PREFERENCES fixed it for all my accounts.

  5. Re: failing to Trash Junk

    Bill Spikowski wrote:
    > Geoff Welsh wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> message filters take priority over junk filters.
    >>>
    >>> How big is your training.dat file [in your profile]. If its really
    >>> big, over 1 megs, then maybe you need to start over.
    >>>

    >> 756k on the machine better at finding junk, and 800k on the machine not
    >> as good at finding junk.
    >> But, you know what? It can't be a filter problem, or a training.dat
    >> problem, because it /IS/ labeling them Junk, it's just ignoring the Pref
    >> to put the crap in the Trash. If I click, Not Junk, then Junk, then it
    >> goes to the trash.
    >>
    >> Irritating.
    >>
    >> This started on two machines with separate profiles in just the last few
    >> weeks, so it may me a 1.1.3 thing. (?)
    >>
    >> GW

    > I do think it's a 1.1.3 thing - when I upgraded recently, I had
    > the same problem on several machines. Resetting EDIT |
    > PREFERENCES fixed it for all my accounts.

    resetting what? You just said "Resetting Edit | Preferences"
    did it. Resetting what?

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  6. Re: failing to Trash Junk

    Geoff Welsh wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Geoff Welsh wrote:
    >>> I have SM set to automatically move detected Junk from the Inbox to
    >>> the Trash, but just recently noticed it's only working about 50% of
    >>> the time. When it doesn't work, the message are marked as Junk, but
    >>> remain in my main Inbox subfolder. This happens on two machines.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone else?
    >>>
    >>> It started a few weeks ago.
    >>> Maybe my other filters need to be re-arranged?
    >>>
    >>> SM 1.1.3, on two OSX 10.4.10 (PPC)

    >> message filters take priority over junk filters.
    >>
    >> How big is your training.dat file [in your profile]. If its really big,
    >> over 1 megs, then maybe you need to start over.
    >>

    > 756k on the machine better at finding junk, and 800k on the machine not
    > as good at finding junk.
    > But, you know what? It can't be a filter problem, or a training.dat
    > problem, because it /IS/ labeling them Junk, it's just ignoring the Pref
    > to put the crap in the Trash. If I click, Not Junk, then Junk, then it
    > goes to the trash.
    >
    > Irritating.
    >
    > This started on two machines with separate profiles in just the last few
    > weeks, so it may me a 1.1.3 thing. (?)
    >
    > GW

    perhaps you need to reset the training.dat file and start
    all over again.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  7. Re: failing to Trash Junk

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Bill Spikowski wrote:
    >> Geoff Welsh wrote:

    >>> 756k on the machine better at finding junk, and 800k on the machine
    >>> not as good at finding junk.
    >>> But, you know what? It can't be a filter problem, or a training.dat
    >>> problem, because it /IS/ labeling them Junk, it's just ignoring the
    >>> Pref to put the crap in the Trash. If I click, Not Junk, then Junk,
    >>> then it goes to the trash.
    >>>
    >>> Irritating.
    >>>
    >>> This started on two machines with separate profiles in just the last
    >>> few weeks, so it may me a 1.1.3 thing. (?)
    >>>
    >>> GW

    >> I do think it's a 1.1.3 thing - when I upgraded recently, I had the
    >> same problem on several machines. Resetting EDIT | PREFERENCES fixed
    >> it for all my accounts.

    > resetting what? You just said "Resetting Edit | Preferences" did it.
    > Resetting what?

    EDIT | PREFERENCES | JUNK MAIL | When I mark messages as junk,
    delete them.

    It seems this setting used to be "by account," but now it's a
    global setting for all accounts. I don't know exactly which
    version adopted this new method, but it's fairly recent.

  8. Re: failing to Trash Junk

    Bill Spikowski wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Bill Spikowski wrote:

    >>> I do think it's a 1.1.3 thing - when I upgraded recently, I had the
    >>> same problem on several machines. Resetting EDIT | PREFERENCES fixed
    >>> it for all my accounts.

    >> resetting what? You just said "Resetting Edit | Preferences" did it.
    >> Resetting what?

    > EDIT | PREFERENCES | JUNK MAIL | When I mark messages as junk,
    > delete them.
    >
    > It seems this setting used to be "by account," but now it's a
    > global setting for all accounts. I don't know exactly which
    > version adopted this new method, but it's fairly recent.

    I don't have an Edit, Preferences, Junk Mail. I have junk
    mail settings under Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings for
    each account I have.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  9. Re: failing to Trash Junk

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Bill Spikowski wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> resetting what? You just said "Resetting Edit | Preferences" did it.
    >>> Resetting what?

    >> EDIT | PREFERENCES | JUNK MAIL | When I mark messages as junk, delete
    >> them.
    >>
    >> It seems this setting used to be "by account," but now it's a global
    >> setting for all accounts. I don't know exactly which version adopted
    >> this new method, but it's fairly recent.

    > I don't have an Edit, Preferences, Junk Mail. I have junk mail settings
    > under Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings for each account I have.

    That's how it has been for a long time -- but I'm now using
    1.1.2, SM for Windows, and it is as I described above.

    In my version there is still an "Edit, Preferences, Junk
    Settings" but it seems to be overriden by the global setting --
    or it least is was for me after installing 1.1.2.

  10. Re: failing to Trash Junk

    Bill Spikowski wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Bill Spikowski wrote:

    >>> EDIT | PREFERENCES | JUNK MAIL | When I mark messages as junk, delete
    >>> them.
    >>>
    >>> It seems this setting used to be "by account," but now it's a global
    >>> setting for all accounts. I don't know exactly which version adopted
    >>> this new method, but it's fairly recent.

    >> I don't have an Edit, Preferences, Junk Mail. I have junk mail settings
    >> under Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings for each account I have.

    > That's how it has been for a long time -- but I'm now using
    > 1.1.2, SM for Windows, and it is as I described above.
    >
    > In my version there is still an "Edit, Preferences, Junk
    > Settings" but it seems to be overriden by the global setting --
    > or it least is was for me after installing 1.1.2.

    for mine [SM 1.1.3], all I have are Appearance, Navigator,
    Composer, Mail & Newsgroups, Privacy & Security, Chatzilla,
    Advanced, and Roaming User. I've never noticed junk in the
    Preferences.

    From the old Mozilla Suite, the settings used to be under
    Tools, Junk Mail Controls.

    Perhaps you have an extension that put the junk controls
    where you have them

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  11. Re: failing to Trash Junk

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Bill Spikowski wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> I don't have an Edit, Preferences, Junk Mail. I have junk mail settings
    >>> under Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings for each account I have.

    >> That's how it has been for a long time -- but I'm now using
    >> 1.1.2, SM for Windows, and it is as I described above.
    >>
    >> In my version there is still an "Edit, Preferences, Junk
    >> Settings" but it seems to be overriden by the global setting --
    >> or it least is was for me after installing 1.1.2.
    >>

    > for mine [SM 1.1.3], all I have are Appearance, Navigator,
    > Composer, Mail & Newsgroups, Privacy & Security, Chatzilla,
    > Advanced, and Roaming User. I've never noticed junk in the
    > Preferences.
    >
    > From the old Mozilla Suite, the settings used to be under
    > Tools, Junk Mail Controls.
    >
    > Perhaps you have an extension that put the junk controls
    > where you have them

    I just noticed something: Edit, Preferences, Mail &
    Newsgroups, I do have Junk Mail with Global Settings. But
    there are also junk controls under each account under the
    Account Settings.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  12. Re: failing to Trash Junk

    Bill Spikowski wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Bill Spikowski wrote:

    >>> I do think it's a 1.1.3 thing - when I upgraded recently, I had the
    >>> same problem on several machines. Resetting EDIT | PREFERENCES fixed
    >>> it for all my accounts.

    >> resetting what? You just said "Resetting Edit | Preferences" did it.
    >> Resetting what?

    > EDIT | PREFERENCES | JUNK MAIL | When I mark messages as junk, delete them.
    >
    > It seems this setting used to be "by account," but now it's a global
    > setting for all accounts. I don't know exactly which version adopted
    > this new method, but it's fairly recent.

    It's SM/Preferences/Mail & Newsgroups/Junk Mail here.
    I clicked the delete option off and back on yesterday, and it worked
    correctly this morning. But since it has been intermittent, I won't
    know if that really fixed it for a few hours or days.

    GW

+ Reply to Thread