Installing different Spellchecker - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Installing different Spellchecker - Mozilla ; SM 1.1.2 on MandrivaLinux 2007 I'm trying to install the spell-en-AU.xpi dictionary. When I drag the file, which I have downloaded onto my HD, onto my SM browser screen I get the screen asking if I want to install it, ...

  1. Installing different Spellchecker

    SM 1.1.2 on MandrivaLinux 2007

    I'm trying to install the spell-en-AU.xpi dictionary. When I drag the
    file, which I have downloaded onto my HD, onto my SM browser screen I
    get the screen asking if I want to install it, because it may be
    malicious. Clicking it, it seems to install the file, or, at least, it
    says it installs it, but, after closing SM and restarting it and
    replying to an email or NG post, I don't get an option to select it when
    I do a spell check. I cannot select it from
    Edit|Preferences|Mail&Newsgroups|Composition, either, with only the
    English/United States or Download more being the only options.

    Anybody know if this is a SM 1.1.2 problem or a Linux SM 1.1.2 problem?

    TIA

    Daniel

  2. Re: Installing different Spellchecker

    Daniel wrote:
    > SM 1.1.2 on MandrivaLinux 2007

    ..../...
    > Anybody know if this is a SM 1.1.2 problem or a Linux SM 1.1.2 problem?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Daniel

    Hi,

    I had a similar problem when the xpi files were placed in
    the wrong directory. A symlink or moving the files with the
    other cleared the issue

    Dominique

  3. Re: Installing different Spellchecker

    Daniel wrote:
    > SM 1.1.2 on MandrivaLinux 2007
    >
    > I'm trying to install the spell-en-AU.xpi dictionary. When I drag the
    > file, which I have downloaded onto my HD, onto my SM browser screen I
    > get the screen asking if I want to install it, because it may be
    > malicious. Clicking it, it seems to install the file, or, at least, it
    > says it installs it, but, after closing SM and restarting it and
    > replying to an email or NG post, I don't get an option to select it when
    > I do a spell check. I cannot select it from
    > Edit|Preferences|Mail&Newsgroups|Composition, either, with only the
    > English/United States or Download more being the only options.
    >
    > Anybody know if this is a SM 1.1.2 problem or a Linux SM 1.1.2 problem?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Daniel

    the developers went and created a NEW directory for the dictionaries.
    So, your dictionary may be installing in the old place. Close the
    program, and using your zip program, unzip the xpi file and unzip it to
    the [if you're using windows] C:\program
    files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\dictionaries directory of the program directory.

    If your zip program can't unzip it, then rename the file to
    spell-en-AU.zip and try that.

    --
    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. And only
    click on the Reply button, not the Reply All one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  4. Re: Installing different Spellchecker

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >> SM 1.1.2 on MandrivaLinux 2007
    >>
    >> I'm trying to install the spell-en-AU.xpi dictionary. When I drag the
    >> file, which I have downloaded onto my HD, onto my SM browser screen I
    >> get the screen asking if I want to install it, because it may be
    >> malicious. Clicking it, it seems to install the file, or, at least, it
    >> says it installs it, but, after closing SM and restarting it and
    >> replying to an email or NG post, I don't get an option to select it
    >> when I do a spell check. I cannot select it from
    >> Edit|Preferences|Mail&Newsgroups|Composition, either, with only the
    >> English/United States or Download more being the only options.
    >>
    >> Anybody know if this is a SM 1.1.2 problem or a Linux SM 1.1.2 problem?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Daniel

    > the developers went and created a NEW directory for the dictionaries.
    > So, your dictionary may be installing in the old place. Close the
    > program, and using your zip program, unzip the xpi file and unzip it to
    > the [if you're using windows] C:\program
    > files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\dictionaries directory of the program
    > directory.
    >
    > If your zip program can't unzip it, then rename the file to
    > spell-en-AU.zip and try that.

    Thanks Dominique and Peter.

    I'm using Linux,so I guess I'll have to delve into making a symlink.

    Tks

    Daniel

+ Reply to Thread