Getting Java to work right - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Getting Java to work right - Mozilla ; SeaMonkey 1.1 on Mandriva Linux 2007 Jre 1.5.0.10, 1.5.0.11 and now Jre 6u1 installed as root. I thought I had Jre 1.5.0.10 installed correctly and the symlink in the plugin folder, but, after updating and re-updating Jre, when I go ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Getting Java to work right

    SeaMonkey 1.1 on Mandriva Linux 2007
    Jre 1.5.0.10, 1.5.0.11 and now Jre 6u1 installed as root.

    I thought I had Jre 1.5.0.10 installed correctly and the symlink in the
    plugin folder, but, after updating and re-updating Jre, when I go to,
    for example, https://jobsearch.gov.au/Login/Login.aspx?WHCode=0 I get
    Default Plug-in error message pointing me to problems with the default
    plug-in for application/x-java-vm, and wanting me to download the plug-in.

    I have my Java installed in /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01 and have the symlink
    libjavaplugin_oji.so in the SeaMonkey programs plugins folder. Java was
    installed AND the symlink was created as root.

    Should I have installed Java as root and then made the symlink as user??
    If no, what else do I need to do??

    TIA

    Daniel

  2. Re: Getting Java to work right

    Daniel wrote:
    > SeaMonkey 1.1 on Mandriva Linux 2007
    > Jre 1.5.0.10, 1.5.0.11 and now Jre 6u1 installed as root.
    >
    > I thought I had Jre 1.5.0.10 installed correctly and the symlink in the
    > plugin folder, but, after updating and re-updating Jre, when I go to,
    > for example, https://jobsearch.gov.au/Login/Login.aspx?WHCode=0 I get
    > Default Plug-in error message pointing me to problems with the default
    > plug-in for application/x-java-vm, and wanting me to download the plug-in.
    >
    > I have my Java installed in /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01 and have the symlink
    > libjavaplugin_oji.so in the SeaMonkey programs plugins folder. Java was
    > installed AND the symlink was created as root.
    >
    > Should I have installed Java as root and then made the symlink as user??
    > If no, what else do I need to do??
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Daniel

    in the browser, type in aboutlugins and see if the java
    files are there. Are they?

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: Getting Java to work right

    On 04/12/2007 02:09 AM, Daniel wrote:
    > SeaMonkey 1.1 on Mandriva Linux 2007
    > Jre 1.5.0.10, 1.5.0.11 and now Jre 6u1 installed as root.
    >
    > I thought I had Jre 1.5.0.10 installed correctly and the symlink in the
    > plugin folder, but, after updating and re-updating Jre, when I go to,
    > for example, https://jobsearch.gov.au/Login/Login.aspx?WHCode=0 I get
    > Default Plug-in error message pointing me to problems with the default
    > plug-in for application/x-java-vm, and wanting me to download the plug-in.

    Odd. When I go to that link with Java, Javascript, Flash, Cookies all
    turned off the site renders just fine for me. (SM 1.1.1 linux).

    > I have my Java installed in /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01 and have the symlink
    > libjavaplugin_oji.so in the SeaMonkey programs plugins folder. Java was
    > installed AND the symlink was created as root.
    >
    > Should I have installed Java as root and then made the symlink as user??
    > If no, what else do I need to do??

    Don't know (I use Ubuntu) but these might help:

  4. Re: Getting Java to work right

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >> SeaMonkey 1.1 on Mandriva Linux 2007
    >> Jre 1.5.0.10, 1.5.0.11 and now Jre 6u1 installed as root.
    >>
    >> I thought I had Jre 1.5.0.10 installed correctly and the symlink in
    >> the plugin folder, but, after updating and re-updating Jre, when I go
    >> to, for example, https://jobsearch.gov.au/Login/Login.aspx?WHCode=0 I
    >> get Default Plug-in error message pointing me to problems with the
    >> default plug-in for application/x-java-vm, and wanting me to download
    >> the plug-in.
    >>
    >> I have my Java installed in /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01 and have the symlink
    >> libjavaplugin_oji.so in the SeaMonkey programs plugins folder. Java
    >> was installed AND the symlink was created as root.
    >>
    >> Should I have installed Java as root and then made the symlink as
    >> user?? If no, what else do I need to do??
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Daniel

    > in the browser, type in aboutlugins and see if the java files are
    > there. Are they?

    No, nothing there. Nothing.

    I'm also checking this out in the Mandriva UG.

    Daniel

  5. Re: Getting Java to work right

    Daniel wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> in the browser, type in aboutlugins and see if the java files are
    >> there. Are they?

    > No, nothing there. Nothing.
    >
    > I'm also checking this out in the Mandriva UG.

    if they're not there, then reinstall java

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  6. Re: Getting Java to work right

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> in the browser, type in aboutlugins and see if the java files are
    >>> there. Are they?

    >> No, nothing there. Nothing.
    >>
    >> I'm also checking this out in the Mandriva UG.

    > if they're not there, then reinstall java

    Peter, I've tried installing JRE 1.5.0.10, 1.5.0_11 and now 1.6.0_01.
    All have seemed to install o.k., just not working, so I'd be more
    suspect of the symlink that I've put in the plug-ins folder of SeaMonkey.

    Daniel

  7. Re: Getting Java to work right

    Daniel wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Daniel wrote:
    >>> No, nothing there. Nothing.
    >>>
    >>> I'm also checking this out in the Mandriva UG.

    >> if they're not there, then reinstall java
    >>

    > Peter, I've tried installing JRE 1.5.0.10, 1.5.0_11 and now 1.6.0_01.
    > All have seemed to install o.k., just not working, so I'd be more
    > suspect of the symlink that I've put in the plug-ins folder of SeaMonkey.
    >
    > Daniel

    if they're installed properly, then what makes you think
    they're not working?

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  8. Re: Getting Java to work right

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> if they're not there, then reinstall java
    >>>

    >> Peter, I've tried installing JRE 1.5.0.10, 1.5.0_11 and now 1.6.0_01.
    >> All have seemed to install o.k., just not working, so I'd be more
    >> suspect of the symlink that I've put in the plug-ins folder of SeaMonkey.
    >>
    >> Daniel

    > if they're installed properly, then what makes you think they're not
    > working?

    because pages keep telling me I need to install Java.

    Daniel

  9. Re: Getting Java to work right

    Daniel wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Daniel wrote:

    >>> Peter, I've tried installing JRE 1.5.0.10, 1.5.0_11 and now 1.6.0_01.
    >>> All have seemed to install o.k., just not working, so I'd be more
    >>> suspect of the symlink that I've put in the plug-ins folder of
    >>> SeaMonkey.
    >>>
    >>> Daniel

    >> if they're installed properly, then what makes you think they're not
    >> working?
    >>

    > because pages keep telling me I need to install Java.
    >
    > Daniel

    is it on all java sites or just some. If just some, then
    please post a link so someone can check it out. Thanks

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  10. Re: Getting Java to work right

    Daniel wrote:
    > Peter, I guess it a case of "You only notice it doesn't work when it
    > tell you it doesn't work", but, then again, maybe, I only every go to
    > one site that requires Java....
    >
    > The site I quoted in the original post was:-
    >
    > https://jobsearch.gov.au/Login/Login.aspx?WHCode=0
    >
    > If you don't get an error at this page, is it possible to disable your
    > Java and retry to see if you then get an error?
    >
    > Thanks for sticking with me.
    >
    > Daniel

    I get the same thing with and without java enabled.
    However, when I disable javascript, I get a "This site
    requires javascript" message.

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  11. Re: Getting Java to work right

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >> Peter, I guess it a case of "You only notice it doesn't work when it
    >> tell you it doesn't work", but, then again, maybe, I only every go to
    >> one site that requires Java....
    >>
    >> The site I quoted in the original post was:-
    >>
    >> https://jobsearch.gov.au/Login/Login.aspx?WHCode=0
    >>
    >> If you don't get an error at this page, is it possible to disable your
    >> Java and retry to see if you then get an error?
    >>
    >> Thanks for sticking with me.
    >>
    >> Daniel

    > I get the same thing with and without java enabled. However, when I
    > disable javascript, I get a "This site requires javascript" message.

    Sorry, Peter,are you saying that the page displays correctly regardless
    of whether you have Java enabled or not??

    If so, what the heck is going on with me? Is it a Windows v Linux thing
    then?? If I remember, in the morning, I'll try to boot into my Win98 and
    see how I go (but then I may have had Java working correctly on Win98
    for a couple of years!)

    Daniel

  12. Re: Getting Java to work right

    Daniel wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Daniel wrote:
    >>> Peter, I guess it a case of "You only notice it doesn't work when it
    >>> tell you it doesn't work", but, then again, maybe, I only every go to
    >>> one site that requires Java....
    >>>
    >>> The site I quoted in the original post was:-
    >>>
    >>> https://jobsearch.gov.au/Login/Login.aspx?WHCode=0
    >>>
    >>> If you don't get an error at this page, is it possible to disable
    >>> your Java and retry to see if you then get an error?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for sticking with me.
    >>>
    >>> Daniel

    >> I get the same thing with and without java enabled. However, when I
    >> disable javascript, I get a "This site requires javascript" message.
    >>

    > Sorry, Peter,are you saying that the page displays correctly regardless
    > of whether you have Java enabled or not??
    >
    > If so, what the heck is going on with me? Is it a Windows v Linux thing
    > then?? If I remember, in the morning, I'll try to boot into my Win98 and
    > see how I go (but then I may have had Java working correctly on Win98
    > for a couple of years!)
    >
    > Daniel

    for me, the site works with java turned off. The site does
    use javascript. And when I turn that off, I get a message
    saying that the site uses javascript and it should be turned
    on. So, is javascript turned on?

    Try these java test sites here and see if your java works:
    http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
    http://www.javatester.org/

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  13. Re: Getting Java to work right

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> I get the same thing with and without java enabled. However, when I
    >>> disable javascript, I get a "This site requires javascript" message.
    >>>

    >> Sorry, Peter,are you saying that the page displays correctly
    >> regardless of whether you have Java enabled or not??
    >>
    >> If so, what the heck is going on with me? Is it a Windows v Linux
    >> thing then?? If I remember, in the morning, I'll try to boot into my
    >> Win98 and see how I go (but then I may have had Java working correctly
    >> on Win98 for a couple of years!)
    >>
    >> Daniel

    > for me, the site works with java turned off. The site does use
    > javascript. And when I turn that off, I get a message saying that the
    > site uses javascript and it should be turned on. So, is javascript
    > turned on?
    >
    > Try these java test sites here and see if your java works:
    > http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml http://www.javatester.org/

    Thanks for those links, Peter. I clicked the java.com link, then
    realised I was in my Win98 profile, so of course it was going to work,
    but the site suggested I D/L ver 1.5.0_04.

    Hmmmm, if I now go to the Java.com download site, it wants me to D/L ver
    6u1!!

    I'll get back to you, Peter.

    Daniel

  14. Re: Getting Java to work right

    Perhaps you ignored or missed what I wrote on April 12:

    Odd. When I go to that link with Java, Javascript, Flash, Cookies all
    turned off the site renders just fine for me. (SM 1.1.1 linux).

    That _link_ *does not* require or use java, javascript, flash, or cookies.

    The site does require _javascript_ for form submission, proper site
    navigation etc., but it *does not require java* - at least not anyplace
    on it that I can find.

  15. Re: Getting Java to work right

    On 04/16/2007 06:24 PM, Daniel wrote:

    > Thanks for those links, Peter. I clicked the java.com link, then
    > realised I was in my Win98 profile, so of course it was going to work,
    > but the site suggested I D/L ver 1.5.0_04.
    >
    > Hmmmm, if I now go to the Java.com download site, it wants me to D/L ver
    > 6u1!!

    Be aware that there is a bug in 6u1 that creates mime problems in Nautilus:

    http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view...bug_id=6510610

    I ended up removing 1.6 FCS altogether and
    /usr/share/mime/packages/x-java-archive.xml.

    Sun say they will fix in 6u2:

    Evaluation

    will fix in dolphin & 6u2.
    Posted Date : 2007-01-09 18:27:10.0

    However, you should update to at least 5/11 - 1.5.0_04 has security issues:

    http://secunia.com/advisories/23757/

    You can get 5.11 here if you want to wait for 6u2:

    http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp

  16. Re: Getting Java to work right

    NoOp wrote:
    > That _link_ *does not* require or use java, javascript, flash, or cookies.
    >
    > The site does require _javascript_ for form submission, proper site
    > navigation etc., but it *does not require java* - at least not anyplace
    > on it that I can find.

    don't worry, I told him the same thing and I think he
    ignored me, too.

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  17. Re: Getting Java to work right

    NoOp wrote:
    > On 04/16/2007 06:24 PM, Daniel wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for those links, Peter. I clicked the java.com link, then
    >> realised I was in my Win98 profile, so of course it was going to work,
    >> but the site suggested I D/L ver 1.5.0_04.
    >>
    >> Hmmmm, if I now go to the Java.com download site, it wants me to D/L ver
    >> 6u1!!
    >>

    > Be aware that there is a bug in 6u1 that creates mime problems in Nautilus:
    >
    > http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view...bug_id=6510610
    >
    > I ended up removing 1.6 FCS altogether and
    > /usr/share/mime/packages/x-java-archive.xml.
    >
    > Sun say they will fix in 6u2:
    >
    > Evaluation
    >
    > will fix in dolphin & 6u2.
    > Posted Date : 2007-01-09 18:27:10.0
    >
    > However, you should update to at least 5/11 - 1.5.0_04 has security issues:
    >
    > http://secunia.com/advisories/23757/
    >
    > You can get 5.11 here if you want to wait for 6u2:
    >
    > http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp

    Thanks, but I have 5.11 and it's having the same problems as 6u1 and 5.10

    I must have a bigger problem somewhere else.

    Daniel

  18. Re: Getting Java to work right

    On 04/22/2007 05:25 PM, hb wrote:
    > /Daniel/ said:
    >
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> don't worry, I told him the same thing and I think he ignored me, too.

    >> Sorry, you two. I am not trying to be ignorant or whatever, merely
    >> telling you that when I go to that jobsearch page, I get an error
    >> message pointing me to problems with the default plug-in for
    >> application/x-java-vm, and wanting me to download the plug-in and
    >> clicking on the provided link takes me to java.com.
    >>
    >> Is Java NOT the default plug-in to handle x-java-vm?? If not, what
    >> should I be messing with??

    > Don't know what the problem is, but the link in your original post does
    > indeed require JAVA. Here it uses the Standard 6, for Vista.

    Really? I might be missing something, but I just looked at the code for
    that page and *nothing* in the code (that I can find) calls up Java. I
    can bring up the page just fine with a system that has *no* java installed.

    It *does* howver use javascript (which is not Java).
    Without javascript you'll get this in the upper left hand corner:
    "This site requires javascript."

    Try it from Firefox w/java & javascript turned off if you don't believe me.

  19. Re: Getting Java to work right

    On 04/12/2007 02:09 AM, Daniel wrote:
    > SeaMonkey 1.1 on Mandriva Linux 2007
    > Jre 1.5.0.10, 1.5.0.11 and now Jre 6u1 installed as root.
    >
    > I thought I had Jre 1.5.0.10 installed correctly and the symlink in the
    > plugin folder, but, after updating and re-updating Jre, when I go to,
    > for example, https://jobsearch.gov.au/Login/Login.aspx?WHCode=0 I get
    > Default Plug-in error message pointing me to problems with the default
    > plug-in for application/x-java-vm, and wanting me to download the plug-in.
    >
    > I have my Java installed in /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01 and have the symlink
    > libjavaplugin_oji.so in the SeaMonkey programs plugins folder. Java was
    > installed AND the symlink was created as root.
    >
    > Should I have installed Java as root and then made the symlink as user??
    > If no, what else do I need to do??
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Daniel

    You might want to bookmark this page:

    http://www.mandrivafaq.org/wiki/inde...riva_2007_Free

    I'd uninstall what you have now, then follow the above instructions
    (replacing the proper version number of course).

    Check to see if it is installed properly w/Firefox, then SeaMonkey.

    Also see:

    I don't use Mandriva, I use Ubuntu, so sorry I can't help you much
    beyond the above.

    Good luck.

  20. Re: Getting Java to work right

    NoOp wrote:
    > On 04/12/2007 02:09 AM, Daniel wrote:
    >> SeaMonkey 1.1 on Mandriva Linux 2007
    >> Jre 1.5.0.10, 1.5.0.11 and now Jre 6u1 installed as root.
    >>
    >> I thought I had Jre 1.5.0.10 installed correctly and the symlink in the
    >> plugin folder, but, after updating and re-updating Jre, when I go to,
    >> for example, https://jobsearch.gov.au/Login/Login.aspx?WHCode=0 I get
    >> Default Plug-in error message pointing me to problems with the default
    >> plug-in for application/x-java-vm, and wanting me to download the plug-in.
    >>
    >> I have my Java installed in /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01 and have the symlink
    >> libjavaplugin_oji.so in the SeaMonkey programs plugins folder. Java was
    >> installed AND the symlink was created as root.
    >>
    >> Should I have installed Java as root and then made the symlink as user??
    >> If no, what else do I need to do??
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Daniel

    > You might want to bookmark this page:
    >
    > http://www.mandrivafaq.org/wiki/inde...riva_2007_Free
    >

    > I'd uninstall what you have now, then follow the above instructions
    > (replacing the proper version number of course).
    >
    > Check to see if it is installed properly w/Firefox, then SeaMonkey.
    >
    > Also see:
    >

    > I don't use Mandriva, I use Ubuntu, so sorry I can't help you much
    > beyond the above.
    >
    > Good luck.

    Thanks for the reply. I haven't tried doing an rpm install, as I like to
    have the installation files saved to my HD first so I can re-install
    them later, if needed. But as things are not going as they should my
    way, I guess doing it the other way may be a solution!

    Daniel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast