funny little icons in newsgroup postings - Mozilla

This is a discussion on funny little icons in newsgroup postings - Mozilla ; SM 1.1.1 In news, every so often, I get this little funny icons within the postings. Its a little envelope before the email address. See the following links for what I'm talking about. http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?i...nyiconstf4.jpg http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?i...yicons2ym4.jpg http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?i...yicons3bi2.jpg I don't get them ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. funny little icons in newsgroup postings

    SM 1.1.1

    In news, every so often, I get this little funny icons
    within the postings. Its a little envelope before the email
    address. See the following links for what I'm talking about.

    http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?i...nyiconstf4.jpg
    http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?i...yicons2ym4.jpg
    http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?i...yicons3bi2.jpg

    I don't get them in email messages, just the newsgroup
    postings. Where are these icons coming from? Is this
    something new in SM? I don't see them in TB. Is there some
    sort of config setting? I've gone all through the Prefs and
    I can't find anything. How do I insert them into my messages?

    Thanks

    Grant

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  2. Re: funny little icons in newsgroup postings

    Karsten Düsterloh wrote:
    > Your screenies are very ... colourful - which theme are you using?

    the best theme out there, since Net 6.x days: ToyFactory:
    http://projectit.com/freestuff.html#toyfactory

    > And using Tools->Web->DOMI, you should be able to have a look behind the
    > scenes and identify the rules "guilty" of putting these envelopes in...

    DOMI: Oh crap! You would say that. I can never figure out
    how to use that. :-(

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: funny little icons in newsgroup postings

    On 04/04/2007 4:51 PM, _Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo_ spoke thusly:
    > SM 1.1.1
    >
    > In news, every so often, I get this little funny icons within the
    > postings. Its a little envelope before the email address. See the
    > following links for what I'm talking about.
    >
    > http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?i...nyiconstf4.jpg
    > http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?i...yicons2ym4.jpg
    > http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?i...yicons3bi2.jpg
    >
    > I don't get them in email messages, just the newsgroup postings. Where
    > are these icons coming from? Is this something new in SM? I don't see
    > them in TB. Is there some sort of config setting? I've gone all through
    > the Prefs and I can't find anything. How do I insert them into my messages?

    Looks like a part of the theme, adding the icon to email addresses in
    the message body, to indicate what type of link it is.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  4. Re: funny little icons in newsgroup postings

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > Looks like a part of the theme, adding the icon to email addresses in
    > the message body, to indicate what type of link it is.

    I don't think so. They weren't there with SM 1.1, but they
    are in 1.1.1, and I haven't updated the theme between the
    versions. Same one.

    Maybe we need Sailfish in on this one. If anyone knows him,
    let him know we need his help.

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  5. Re: funny little icons in newsgroup postings

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo aber hob zu reden an und schrieb:
    >> Looks like a part of the theme, adding the icon to email addresses in
    >> the message body, to indicate what type of link it is.

    > I don't think so. They weren't there with SM 1.1, but they
    > are in 1.1.1, and I haven't updated the theme between the
    > versions. Same one.

    I installed the theme, barely avoided getting eye cancer, but to avail:
    no envelopes to be seen anywhere.

    Karsten
    --
    Feel free to correct my English.

  6. Re: funny little icons in newsgroup postings

    Karsten Düsterloh wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo aber hob zu reden an und schrieb:
    >>> Looks like a part of the theme, adding the icon to email addresses in
    >>> the message body, to indicate what type of link it is.

    >> I don't think so. They weren't there with SM 1.1, but they
    >> are in 1.1.1, and I haven't updated the theme between the
    >> versions. Same one.

    > I installed the theme, barely avoided getting eye cancer, but to avail:
    > no envelopes to be seen anywhere.
    >

    > Karsten

    I've been all around and inside out of that theme, and I
    too, cannot find any envelope. So, it beats the heck out of
    me where its coming from.

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  7. Re: funny little icons in newsgroup postings

    Wed, 04 Apr 2007 13:51:39 -0700, /Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo/:

    > In news, every so often, I get this little funny icons within the
    > postings. Its a little envelope before the email address. See the
    > following links for what I'm talking about.
    >
    > http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?i...nyiconstf4.jpg
    > http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?i...yicons2ym4.jpg
    > http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?i...yicons3bi2.jpg
    >
    > I don't get them in email messages, just the newsgroup postings. Where
    > are these icons coming from? Is this something new in SM? I don't see
    > them in TB. Is there some sort of config setting? I've gone all through
    > the Prefs and I can't find anything. How do I insert them into my messages?

    I guess they come from a style in your "userContent.css". I have
    the following in my "userContent.css" to achieve much the same
    effect, but using a character instead of an image:

    a[href^="mailto:"]:before {
    content: "\2709 ";
    }

    Just put that way it changes all "mailto:" links (including in
    browser), but if put in @-moz-document rule it could affect only
    news messages:

    @-moz-document url-prefix("news:"), url-prefix("snews:") {
    a[href^="mailto:"]:before {
    content: "\2709 ";
    }
    }

    You may search your "userContent.css" for something like:

    a[href^="mailto:"]:before {
    content: url(envelope.png);
    }

    where the "envelope.png" name could be different. You could also
    use the DOM Inspector to see where the style is actually comming
    from (if not from "userContent.css").

    --
    Stanimir

  8. Re: funny little icons in newsgroup postings

    Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
    > I guess they come from a style in your "userContent.css".

    I have nothing that would affect that. All I have are "Hide
    IntelliText Ads" which don't work anymore, so I have to hunt
    for a new one; and getting rid of google and yahoo ads;
    giving google a new look; and thats it.

    > I have the
    > following in my "userContent.css" to achieve much the same effect, but
    > using a character instead of an image:
    >
    > a[href^="mailto:"]:before {
    > content: "\2709 ";
    > }
    >
    > Just put that way it changes all "mailto:" links (including in browser),
    > but if put in @-moz-document rule it could affect only news messages:
    >
    > @-moz-document url-prefix("news:"), url-prefix("snews:") {
    > a[href^="mailto:"]:before {
    > content: "\2709 ";
    > }
    > }

    what does "\2709" do? I mean, what icon does that give?

    > You may search your "userContent.css" for something like:
    >
    > a[href^="mailto:"]:before {
    > content: url(envelope.png);
    > }
    >
    > where the "envelope.png" name could be different. You could also use
    > the DOM Inspector to see where the style is actually comming from (if
    > not from "userContent.css").

    DOMI -- yuk, its bad enough trying to figure SM out let
    alone DOMI My DOMI must be dead. It doesn't do clickables
    or anything that would help me. Either that or I'm not using
    it right.

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  9. Re: funny little icons in newsgroup postings

    15.04.2007 02:10, /Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo/:
    > Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
    >
    >> a[href^="mailto:"]:before {
    >> content: "\2709 ";
    >> }

    > what does "\2709" do? I mean, what icon does that give?

    It is the code of the the EVNELOPE character:

    http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2700.pdf

    --
    Stanimir

  10. Re: funny little icons in newsgroup postings

    15.04.2007 02:10, /Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo/:
    > Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
    >
    >> You may search your "userContent.css" for something like:
    >>
    >> a[href^="mailto:"]:before {
    >> content: url(envelope.png);
    >> }
    >>
    >> where the "envelope.png" name could be different. You could also use
    >> the DOM Inspector to see where the style is actually comming from (if
    >> not from "userContent.css").

    > DOMI -- yuk, its bad enough trying to figure SM out let alone DOMI My
    > DOMI must be dead. It doesn't do clickables or anything that would help
    > me. Either that or I'm not using it right.

    You may try testing with a fresh profile - if it doesn't appear with
    it then it is not in your "userContent.css" but could come from the
    theme - in that case you may try switching the theme. If it is
    still appearing then it could be brought by an extension you have
    installed.

    --
    Stanimir

  11. Re: funny little icons in newsgroup postings

    Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
    > 15.04.2007 02:10, /Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo/:
    >> Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
    >>
    >>> a[href^="mailto:"]:before {
    >>> content: "\2709 ";
    >>> }

    >> what does "\2709" do? I mean, what icon does that give?

    > It is the code of the the EVNELOPE character:
    >
    > http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2700.pdf

    Oh . . . thats interesting! So, I guess I could put in
    \2710 and come out with a golfers pencil. Cool. Thanks for
    that tip.

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  12. Re: funny little icons in newsgroup postings

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > SM 1.1.1
    >
    > In news, every so often, I get this little funny icons within the
    > postings. Its a little envelope before the email address. See the
    > following links for what I'm talking about.
    >
    > http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?i...nyiconstf4.jpg
    > http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?i...yicons2ym4.jpg
    > http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?i...yicons3bi2.jpg
    >
    > I don't get them in email messages, just the newsgroup postings. Where
    > are these icons coming from? Is this something new in SM? I don't see
    > them in TB. Is there some sort of config setting? I've gone all through
    > the Prefs and I can't find anything. How do I insert them into my messages?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Grant

    I see a lot of extraneous garbage, like advertisements top and bottom,
    but no funny icon.

    keith whaley

    SeaMonkey 1.1.1
    Mac OSX 10.4.9

  13. Re: funny little icons in newsgroup postings

    keithw wrote:
    > I see a lot of extraneous garbage, like advertisements top and bottom,
    > but no funny icon.

    what advertising? Are you talking about the links I
    provided, something on your system, or something else?

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  14. Re: funny little icons in newsgroup postings

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > keithw wrote:
    >> I see a lot of extraneous garbage, like advertisements top and bottom,
    >> but no funny icon.

    > what advertising? Are you talking about the links I provided, something
    > on your system, or something else?

    Yes, the links you provided. Take the first of the URLs you provided,
    which is:

    http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?i...nyiconstf4.jpg

    When I open that URL in my SeaMonkey browser I get, top to bottom:

    * * * *

    One small (5/8" hi X 6 1/2" long) advert. WINDOW, that says:

    "Click your state and score big savings" - by Answer Financial.

    NEXT:

    Perhaps your example?:
    A 1 1/4" high X 4 1/4" long window clip from some mail program, showing
    Subject, Message, Title and From, plus
    - the first line of the Apr. 3rd message from Nir, quoting a message
    by some "Tim."
    (There IS a small envelope icon beside Nir's message line. Is that the
    icon you refer to?)

    NEXT:

    Three two-line message adverts from Targetpoint:

    - Win a 60 GB iPod... [etc.]
    - I Pods - Compare and Save... [etc.]
    - Free iPods... [etc.]

    By the way, the above ads change every time I open that URL.

    LAST:

    "Get Linking code...
    Rate this file...
    Upload an Image...
    Leave a comment..."

    [and below that, on the very bottom of the page, the image of a frog]

    * * * *

    The next two URLs you provide display similar content.
    That's what I mean ~ to answer your question "What advertising?"

    keith whaley

  15. Re: funny little icons in newsgroup postings

    keithw wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> keithw wrote:
    >>> I see a lot of extraneous garbage, like advertisements top and
    >>> bottom, but no funny icon.

    >> what advertising? Are you talking about the links I provided,
    >> something on your system, or something else?

    > Yes, the links you provided. Take the first of the URLs you provided,
    > which is:
    >
    > http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?i...nyiconstf4.jpg
    >
    > When I open that URL in my SeaMonkey browser I get, top to bottom:
    >
    > * * * *
    >
    > One small (5/8" hi X 6 1/2" long) advert. WINDOW, that says:
    >
    > "Click your state and score big savings" - by Answer Financial.

    all that belongs to the website. It has nothing to do with
    my image. imageshack is hosting my image. It has a right
    to advertise what they want. You just have to distinguise
    between the images posted and adverts.

    > NEXT:
    >
    > Perhaps your example?:
    > A 1 1/4" high X 4 1/4" long window clip from some mail program, showing
    > Subject, Message, Title and From, plus
    > - the first line of the Apr. 3rd message from Nir, quoting a message
    > by some "Tim."
    > (There IS a small envelope icon beside Nir's message line. Is that the
    > icon you refer to?)

    thats my image. Thats the image I posted, and yes, thats
    the icon I'm referring to.

    > NEXT:
    >
    > Three two-line message adverts from Targetpoint:
    >
    > - Win a 60 GB iPod... [etc.]
    > - I Pods - Compare and Save... [etc.]
    > - Free iPods... [etc.]
    >
    > By the way, the above ads change every time I open that URL.
    >
    > LAST:
    >
    > "Get Linking code...
    > Rate this file...
    > Upload an Image...
    > Leave a comment..."
    >
    > [and below that, on the very bottom of the page, the image of a frog]
    >
    > * * * *
    >
    > The next two URLs you provide display similar content.
    > That's what I mean ~ to answer your question "What advertising?"

    again, all that belongs to the web site and has nothing to
    do with the image I posted. Maybe you should learn how the
    website works.

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  16. Re: funny little icons in newsgroup postings

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > keithw wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> what advertising? Are you talking about the links I provided,
    >>> something on your system, or something else?

    >> Yes, the links you provided. Take the first of the URLs you provided,
    >> which is:
    >>
    >> http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?i...nyiconstf4.jpg
    >>
    >> When I open that URL in my SeaMonkey browser I get, top to bottom:
    >>
    >> * * * *
    >>
    >> One small (5/8" hi X 6 1/2" long) advert. WINDOW, that says:
    >>
    >> "Click your state and score big savings" - by Answer Financial.

    > all that belongs to the website. It has nothing to do with my image.
    > imageshack is hosting my image. It has a right to advertise what they
    > want. You just have to distinguise between the images posted and adverts.

    Yeah, I know. Doesn't make it any the less annoying, does it.

    >> NEXT:
    >>
    >> Perhaps your example?:
    >> A 1 1/4" high X 4 1/4" long window clip from some mail program,
    >> showing Subject, Message, Title and From, plus
    >> - the first line of the Apr. 3rd message from Nir, quoting a
    >> message by some "Tim."
    >> (There IS a small envelope icon beside Nir's message line. Is that the
    >> icon you refer to?)

    > thats my image. Thats the image I posted, and yes, thats the icon I'm
    > referring to.

    And it was odd to you? You've never seen the envelope icon before?
    Ah well. No problem.

    >> NEXT:
    >>
    >> Three two-line message adverts from Targetpoint:
    >>
    >> - Win a 60 GB iPod... [etc.]
    >> - I Pods - Compare and Save... [etc.]
    >> - Free iPods... [etc.]
    >>
    >> By the way, the above ads change every time I open that URL.
    >>
    >> LAST:
    >>
    >> "Get Linking code...
    >> Rate this file...
    >> Upload an Image...
    >> Leave a comment..."
    >>
    >> [and below that, on the very bottom of the page, the image of a frog]
    >>
    >> * * * *
    >>
    >> The next two URLs you provide display similar content.
    >> That's what I mean ~ to answer your question "What advertising?"

    > again, all that belongs to the web site and has nothing to do with the
    > image I posted. Maybe you should learn how the website works.

    You're being a smart a**, Peter. There's no need for that.
    I know what causes advertisements to appear.
    What I didn't know was, what prompted you to play ignorant, and say,
    "Uhhh, WHAT advertising?"
    You know what advertising as well as I do.

    Best to ya!

    keith whaley

  17. Re: funny little icons in newsgroup postings

    keithw wrote:

    > And it was odd to you? You've never seen the envelope icon before?

    no, you're not following. I get that envelope within
    messages. And thats my question -- why? It seems nobody
    else is getting them but me.

    > What I didn't know was, what prompted you to play ignorant, and say,
    > "Uhhh, WHAT advertising?"
    > You know what advertising as well as I do.

    No I didn't know what advertising because I didn't post
    advertising. Whereas in your response it sound like *I* did
    post advertising. That's what was confusing.

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  18. Re: funny little icons in newsgroup postings

    On 18/04/2007 11:46 AM, _Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo_ spoke thusly:
    > all that belongs to the website. It has nothing to do with my image.
    > imageshack is hosting my image. It has a right to advertise what they
    > want. You just have to distinguise between the images posted and adverts.

    Keep in mind, that you can link directly to the image file.
    http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/4...nyiconstf4.jpg
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  19. Re: funny little icons in newsgroup postings

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > keithw wrote:
    >
    >> And it was odd to you? You've never seen the envelope icon before?

    > no, you're not following. I get that envelope within messages. And
    > thats my question -- why? It seems nobody else is getting them but me.

    Peter...
    You're right, I was not understanding your first message.
    Thanks for the clarification!

    >> What I didn't know was, what prompted you to play ignorant, and say,
    >> "Uhhh, WHAT advertising?"
    >> You know what advertising as well as I do.

    > No I didn't know what advertising because I didn't post advertising.
    > Whereas in your response it sound like *I* did post advertising. That's
    > what was confusing.

    Aha. That means that after posting your message, you didn't call up your
    post again. Had you done that, the advertising would have appeared.
    Interesting how misunderstandings occur so easily!

    Thanks again for clarifying how it all came about.

    All I need now is: how the heck did Chris Ilias pick out the image file
    http link?
    I'm going to look into that, as it will help in the future.

    Thanks to all...

    keith whaley

  20. Re: funny little icons in newsgroup postings

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > On 18/04/2007 11:46 AM, _Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo_ spoke thusly:
    >> all that belongs to the website. It has nothing to do with my image.
    >> imageshack is hosting my image. It has a right to advertise what they
    >> want. You just have to distinguise between the images posted and
    >> adverts.

    > Keep in mind, that you can link directly to the image file.
    > http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/4...nyiconstf4.jpg

    oh, so you can. When I click on Host It, I get several
    links. I usually pick one and post that.