Re: Future versions of Seamonkey and Vista. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: Future versions of Seamonkey and Vista. - Mozilla ; John Boyle wrote [many stuff against Microsoft, Windows and Vista ... just another one who complains about Vista or Windows Why does anyone complain about Vista ... and why do those people, complained at first, upgrade to Vista at last ...

  1. Re: Future versions of Seamonkey and Vista.

    John Boyle wrote
    [many stuff against Microsoft, Windows and Vista

    ... just another one who complains about Vista or Windows

    Why does anyone complain about Vista

    ... and why do those people, complained at first, upgrade to Vista at
    last

    If you are not willing to actually *do* something, then please don't
    complain! It's up to you

    I have two old PC systems. One is the internet and office machine of my
    uncle and one is my own PC, I'm using for many different things
    (including my SeaMonkey and PrefBar development and development for some
    other open source software). The machine of my uncle is a "pretty fast"
    200 MHz Pentium machine with 96 MB RAM and my own machine has a Pentium
    III with 700 MHz built in and got a memory upgrade to 512 MB RAM some
    time ago. Both machines run pretty well and both machines are able to do
    what they have to

    On my machine (700MHz!), I'm also doing the development of the new
    SeaMonkey theme, which is vector based graphic with some hundreds of
    vectors and I'm doing the smaller icons using an raster graphics
    software. I'm also doing audio-cutting, scan and modify photos, surf the
    web, do word processing, programming, webdesign, .... all with this
    reliable 700 MHz machine

    And this is all possible as I *did* something! I even don't have to even
    think about updating the hardware in near future, as it works pretty
    well (OK, building SeaMonkey sucks on 700 MHz, but that's the only minor
    problem)

    To solve this riddle: I'm using Linux on all my boxes for over 2 years
    now, as I even didn't like Windows XP and decided, that all my boxes
    have to be on linux as soon as Windows 2000 support ends

    ... so you now have two choices. You may stay with windows. If you do
    so, then you'll have to do what microsoft tells you. Windows XP support
    *will* end and then you won't get any security updates in future. This
    will be the date where you will walk to some store and buy Windows Vista
    and maybe a new PC to have the required hardware. If you choose this
    one, then please also *stop* to complain about Microsoft, Windows and
    Vista

    ... or you decide that you don't want to do what microsoft tells you,
    any more. If you decide that way, then please get some old hard drive
    and place it into your system. Then get some distributions. It may be a
    good way to use Slackware, as this distribution forces you to *learn*
    anything about what's going on behind the scenes. Only if you know your
    system, you'll be able to solve problems, you'll get with it. If you
    want to start with something easier, get easys
    (http://easys.gnulinux.de/) or any other distribution you are interested
    in. Now install it on the hard drive, you placed into your system and
    configure lilo to have a "multi boot" system. As soon as you have the
    required basic knowledge about your new system, start to find
    replacements for some software, you used on windows. Maybe you have to
    run some windows software using WINE if there isn't any replacement

    Yes, the second one will take some time to learn a new system, but two
    weeks for learning Linux are cheaper than a new PC + Windows Vista (...
    and a new PC and a new Windows, again, as soon as they release the next
    version ...)! And the second solution *will* run more stable and
    reliable

    Manue

  2. Re: Future versions of Seamonkey and Vista.

    On 03/30/2007 12:29 AM, Manuel Reimer wrote:

    > I have two old PC systems. One is the internet and office machine of my
    > uncle and one is my own PC, I'm using for many different things
    > (including my SeaMonkey and PrefBar development and development for some
    > other open source software). The machine of my uncle is a "pretty fast"
    > 200 MHz Pentium machine with 96 MB RAM and my own machine has a Pentium
    > III with 700 MHz built in and got a memory upgrade to 512 MB RAM some
    > time ago. Both machines run pretty well and both machines are able to do
    > what they have to.
    >
    > On my machine (700MHz!), I'm also doing the development of the new
    > SeaMonkey theme, which is vector based graphic with some hundreds of
    > vectors and I'm doing the smaller icons using an raster graphics
    > software. I'm also doing audio-cutting, scan and modify photos, surf the
    > web, do word processing, programming, webdesign, .... all with this
    > reliable 700 MHz machine.
    >
    > And this is all possible as I *did* something! I even don't have to even
    > think about updating the hardware in near future, as it works pretty
    > well (OK, building SeaMonkey sucks on 700 MHz, but that's the only minor
    > problem).
    >
    > To solve this riddle: I'm using Linux on all my boxes for over 2 years
    > now, as I even didn't like Windows XP and decided, that all my boxes
    > have to be on linux as soon as Windows 2000 support ends.

    :-)

    Ubuntu Linux (Dapper & Feisty) running on:
    300MHZ/294MB PII - Feisty on the 6GB drive, Dapper on the 4GB drive
    450MHZ/256MB PIII - Dapper on the 30GB, Win2KP (for testing & customer
    support) on the 15GB
    700MHZ/256MB PIII - Feisty (IBM A21M Thinkpad w/broken screen)
    2.4GB/512MB P4 - Dapper (PC was a gift - broken & I fixed for $10) -
    college son uses this one. WinXPPro on on partition for testing &
    customer support).

    All are used daily & work just fine (except dialup modems - Ubuntu
    doen't support DUMs well).

    Cost for junking windows & converting to linux on all of the above: $40
    for the TurboPrint driver so that I could properly print & network my
    Canon MP750 USB printer amongst all systems. $10 for a docking station
    for the Thinkpad so that I can use an external monitor. And of course a
    few weeks learning the basics.

    E-mail: SeaMonkey/Thunderbird/Evolution - all free
    PIM & Calendar: Evolution - free
    Browser: SeaMonkey/Firefox - free
    Office Suite: OpenOffice - free
    Graphics: GIMP/Inkscape/Picasa/Scribus/XSane etc., - all free
    etc., etc.,

    Overall I'm pretty pleased :-)

    Added note: there is an old 350MHZ/196MB PC at my in-law's house. It was
    running Win2KP & slow as heck & would take at least 10 Min to boot
    everything up. One day I took it home, loaded it w/linux, took it back;
    boots up in about 2 Min, etc. Told them it was the new Vista OS & they
    all ooh'ed & ah'ed and said how great it was. Didn't tell them that it
    was linux until they'd used it for about a week (all the time telling me
    how much better the new 'Vista' was)... :-)

  3. Re: Future versions of Seamonkey and Vista.

    On 03/30/2007 01:07 PM, NoOp wrote:

    > Overall I'm pretty pleased :-)

    Forgot to mention: Thanks for PrefBar Manuel! It's the only extention
    that I *always* install on my, and my customer's machines by default.
    Keep up the great work!

  4. Re: Future versions of Seamonkey and Vista.

    NoOp wrote:
    > On 03/30/2007 01:07 PM, NoOp wrote:
    >
    >> Overall I'm pretty pleased :-)
    >>

    > Forgot to mention: Thanks for PrefBar Manuel! It's the only extention
    > that I *always* install on my, and my customer's machines by default.
    > Keep up the great work!

    I must second those "Thanks". That's why I proposded making PrefBar an
    integral part of the browser. See Mozilla bug #258881 and Mozdev bug
    #7670.

    --

    David E. Ross

    Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
    into your E-mail? Use PGP.
    See my

  5. Re: Future versions of Seamonkey and Vista.

    On 04/01/2007 02:18 PM, John Boyle wrote:

    > To Manuel: I am only learning to speak Spanish but I will say "Gracias"
    > for your patience and understanding. The working version I have is SuSe
    > 10.1 and my problem is after following an alleged experts advice I
    > downloaded SuSe 10.2, because it was FREE! Well, problem is it erased
    > all the data I had accumulated on my SuSe 10.1, including my Seamonkey
    > and would not let me re-install the Seamonkey nor the version of
    > OOoffice I was using. I went through a lot of frustration to install the
    > 10.1 which included the fact I have 2 harddrives in the box to install
    > on. Is it really worth trying to reinstall the 10.1 or what?

    John, I suspect that you probably didn't follow instructions for
    upgrading. I've not used SuSe, but I suspect that they had instructions
    on how to prevent this. I doubt very much that the newer version would
    not let you reinstall SM or OOo.

    Upgrading from one linux distro to another, or from an old version while
    skipping interim versions can be tricky sometimes. However, it is not
    really much different from upgrading from say Win98 to Win2KP or WinXP;
    you can easily lose data in the process if you are not careful & fail to
    back up your user data.

    I expect SuSe to be a very good linux distribution, in fact one of the
    best. However, perhaps you should try another; there are quite a few and
    most have a LiveCD that you can try before installing/committing to. I
    like Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/) others recommend PCLOS, Knoppix,
    Mepis, Mandrake, etc. Like anything else; google is your friend and here
    are some helpful links:

    http://www.michaelhorowitz.com/Linux.vs.Windows.html
    [dated but still a good reference]
    http://distrowatch.com/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...2Bwhich+distro
    http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sw...tu/FromWindows

    Linux is not a panacea for all, see:
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/revi...dows-users.htm
    it does take some work to set it up and it does have some limitations.
    Hwoever, if you were new to computers and someone gave you a fully set
    up linux box with:
    SeaMonkey
    OpenOffice
    etc., etc.
    fully setup, you'd proceed happily along.
    I've done that for many folks & they are working just fine.

    Given your hardware & financial resources & the impending MSVista push
    (have you read their hardware recommendations?), I'd certainly look into
    giving linux another try. Find a local group that can help you, check
    the many usenet groups & forums on linux; you'll find most open source
    advocates quite willing to assist (just like many of the folks here) in
    making the transition.

    But... we are now way off topic, so come back when you are running SM on
    your new linux installation :-)

  6. Re: Future versions of Seamonkey and Vista.

    John Boyle schrieb:
    > The working version I have is SuSe
    > 10.1 and my problem is after following an alleged experts advice I
    > downloaded SuSe 10.2, because it was FREE! Well, problem is it erased
    > all the data I had accumulated on my SuSe 10.1, including my Seamonkey
    > and would not let me re-install the Seamonkey nor the version of
    > OOoffice I was using. I went through a lot of frustration to install the
    > 10.1 which included the fact I have 2 harddrives in the box to install
    > on. Is it really worth trying to reinstall the 10.1 or what?

    I never had such problems when upgrading one SUSE to another, including
    10.1->10.2 - and actually openSUSE 10.2 was the first official Linux
    distro release that included SeaMonkey 1.1 in their set of packages. I
    wonder if you downloaded corrupt packages/ISOs or something like that,
    as that's very unusual behavior.

    Robert Kaiser

  7. Re: Future versions of Seamonkey and Vista.

    Robert Kaiser wrote:
    > John Boyle schrieb:
    >> The working version I have is SuSe 10.1 and my problem is after
    >> following an alleged experts advice I downloaded SuSe 10.2, because it
    >> was FREE! Well, problem is it erased all the data I had accumulated on
    >> my SuSe 10.1, including my Seamonkey and would not let me re-install
    >> the Seamonkey nor the version of OOoffice I was using. I went through
    >> a lot of frustration to install the 10.1 which included the fact I
    >> have 2 harddrives in the box to install on. Is it really worth trying
    >> to reinstall the 10.1 or what?

    > I never had such problems when upgrading one SUSE to another, including
    > 10.1->10.2 - and actually openSUSE 10.2 was the first official Linux
    > distro release that included SeaMonkey 1.1 in their set of packages. I
    > wonder if you downloaded corrupt packages/ISOs or something like that,
    > as that's very unusual behavior.
    >
    > Robert Kaiser

    To NOOP and Robert: I downloaded what my alleged SIG leader said to,
    which was 10.2 but it did NOT include Seamonkey, only Firefox and
    absolutely no way to install an email program! I guess the only thing is
    for me to ignore him entirely and re-install my SuSe 10.1 and hope that
    all this shenanigans does not make it impossible to do so!

+ Reply to Thread