Question about using larger fonts - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Question about using larger fonts - Mozilla ; I have chosen to use larger fonts as I find many times that I can't comfortably read the text on my screen. I notice that every so often I have trouble at various sites with having them work properly. One ...

  1. Question about using larger fonts

    I have chosen to use larger fonts as I find many times that I can't
    comfortably read the text on my screen. I notice that every so often I
    have trouble at various sites with having them work properly. One that
    really bothers me is:

    http://wwwa.accuweather.com/index-forecast.asp

    where the main part of the screen is shifted way to the right and the
    rest of the main part is blank. If I go to IE, it works fine.

    I wonder if this is due to the font sizes I use. I also notice on many
    sites that now and then there will be a few lines that overprint each other.

    My font settings are (Properties/Appearance/Fonts):

    San Serif 16
    MS Serif
    Arial
    Comic Sans MS
    Comic Sans MS
    Arial 16

    Minimum font size 18

    Checked: Allow documents to use other fonts.

    Thanks
    Stan

    --
    PLEASE READ......................................

    I'm using SeaMonkey, a suite in the style of Netscape and Mozilla.
    Have you tried it?

  2. Re: Question about using larger fonts

    stan wrote:
    > I have chosen to use larger fonts as I find many times that I can't
    > comfortably read the text on my screen. I notice that every so often I
    > have trouble at various sites with having them work properly. One that
    > really bothers me is:
    >
    > http://wwwa.accuweather.com/index-forecast.asp
    >
    > where the main part of the screen is shifted way to the right and the
    > rest of the main part is blank. If I go to IE, it works fine.
    >
    > I wonder if this is due to the font sizes I use. I also notice on many
    > sites that now and then there will be a few lines that overprint each other.
    >
    > My font settings are (Properties/Appearance/Fonts):
    >
    > San Serif 16
    > MS Serif
    > Arial
    > Comic Sans MS
    > Comic Sans MS
    > Arial 16
    >
    > Minimum font size 18
    >

    > Checked: Allow documents to use other fonts.
    >

    > Thanks
    > Stan

    I use PrefBar with SeaMonkey. One of the PrefBar features is a pair of
    buttons to increase or descrease the font sizes in the displayed page.

    When I go to the AccuWeather page, it looks okay. If I click once to
    increase the font size, it works except for the black navigation bar
    with white text. At the right end of that bar, is a yellow text link to
    Global Warming. The text for that link wraps strangely on a single
    font-size increase (about 10%). The whole navigation bar gets strange
    on the second font-size increase. On the third font-size increase, the
    whole page gets strange.

    However, the page itself is filled with hundreds of HTML errors. I'm
    not sure how to define "display properly" for a Web page that is so
    erroneous.

    By the way, your font settings require a change for the last entry.
    Arial is NOT a mono-space font; it's proportional. You might have
    display problems using Arial where a mono-space font is needed, even on
    Web pages that are fully compliant with the HTML specification.

    --

    David E. Ross

    Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
    into your E-mail? Use PGP.
    See my

  3. Re: Question about using larger fonts

    stan wrote:
    > I have chosen to use larger fonts as I find many times that I can't
    > comfortably read the text on my screen. I notice that every so often I
    > have trouble at various sites with having them work properly. One that
    > really bothers me is:
    >
    > http://wwwa.accuweather.com/index-forecast.asp
    >
    > where the main part of the screen is shifted way to the right and the
    > rest of the main part is blank. If I go to IE, it works fine.
    >
    > I wonder if this is due to the font sizes I use. I also notice on many
    > sites that now and then there will be a few lines that overprint each
    > other.

    HTML was designed with the INTENT that a "properly" designed web page
    will display in a usable manner no matter what reasonable settings you
    pick for fonts, colors, etc... But most web site designers want to
    control the user experience. It is what is taught to MBAs and marketing
    folk at schools. And it seems to be wired into most people's thought
    process.

    So we you and I bump up the font size to read thing better, things can
    get wacky at times.

  4. Re: Question about using larger fonts

    David L. Ross wrote:
    > stan wrote:
    >> I have chosen to use larger fonts as I find many times that I can't
    >> comfortably read the text on my screen. I notice that every so often I
    >> have trouble at various sites with having them work properly. One that
    >> really bothers me is:
    >>
    >> http://wwwa.accuweather.com/index-forecast.asp
    >>
    >> where the main part of the screen is shifted way to the right
    >> and the
    >> rest of the main part is blank. If I go to IE, it works fine.
    >>
    >> I wonder if this is due to the font sizes I use. I also notice on many
    >> sites that now and then there will be a few lines that overprint each
    >> other.
    >>

    > HTML was designed with the INTENT that a "properly" designed web page
    > will display in a usable manner no matter what reasonable settings you
    > pick for fonts, colors, etc... But most web site designers want to
    > control the user experience. It is what is taught to MBAs and marketing
    > folk at schools. And it seems to be wired into most people's thought
    > process.
    >
    > So we you and I bump up the font size to read thing better, things can
    > get wacky at times.

    Thank for you help. I can get the same thing you did at AccuWeather. If
    I click first the fonts- quite a few times I can see the page correctly.
    If I then press the fonts+ I can mess it up. This is going to be a big
    help at many sites.

    --
    PLEASE READ......................................

    I'm using SeaMonkey, a suite in the style of Netscape and Mozilla.
    Have you tried it?

  5. Re: Question about using larger fonts

    stan wrote:
    > David L. Ross wrote:
    >> stan wrote:
    >>> I have chosen to use larger fonts as I find many times that I can't
    >>> comfortably read the text on my screen. I notice that every so often I
    >>> have trouble at various sites with having them work properly. One that
    >>> really bothers me is:
    >>>
    >>> http://wwwa.accuweather.com/index-forecast.asp
    >>>
    >>> where the main part of the screen is shifted way to the right
    >>> and the
    >>> rest of the main part is blank. If I go to IE, it works fine.
    >>>
    >>> I wonder if this is due to the font sizes I use. I also notice on many
    >>> sites that now and then there will be a few lines that overprint each
    >>> other.
    >>>

    >> HTML was designed with the INTENT that a "properly" designed web page
    >> will display in a usable manner no matter what reasonable settings you
    >> pick for fonts, colors, etc... But most web site designers want to
    >> control the user experience. It is what is taught to MBAs and
    >> marketing folk at schools. And it seems to be wired into most people's
    >> thought process.
    >>
    >> So we you and I bump up the font size to read thing better, things can
    >> get wacky at times.

    > Thank for you help. I can get the same thing you did at AccuWeather. If
    > I click first the fonts- quite a few times I can see the page correctly.
    > If I then press the fonts+ I can mess it up. This is going to be a big
    > help at many sites.

    Damn, now it won't work using the PrefBar Font+/-. The only thing I
    changed was that last font that you suggested.

    Stan

    --
    PLEASE READ......................................

    I'm using SeaMonkey, a suite in the style of Netscape and Mozilla.
    Have you tried it?

  6. Re: Question about using larger fonts

    On 03/08/07 12:32, stan wrote:
    > stan wrote:
    >> David L. Ross wrote:

    >>> HTML was designed with the INTENT that a "properly" designed web page
    >>> will display in a usable manner no matter what reasonable settings you
    >>> pick for fonts, colors, etc... But most web site designers want to
    >>> control the user experience. It is what is taught to MBAs and
    >>> marketing folk at schools. And it seems to be wired into most people's
    >>> thought process.
    >>>
    >>> So we you and I bump up the font size to read thing better, things can
    >>> get wacky at times.

    >> Thank for you help. I can get the same thing you did at AccuWeather. If
    >> I click first the fonts- quite a few times I can see the page correctly.
    >> If I then press the fonts+ I can mess it up. This is going to be a big
    >> help at many sites.
    >>

    > Damn, now it won't work using the PrefBar Font+/-. The only thing I
    > changed was that last font that you suggested.
    >
    > Stan

    Doesn't Ctrl+ (Control and Plus) and Ctrl- (Control and Minus) work for you?

  7. Re: Question about using larger fonts

    Mark Hansen wrote:
    > On 03/08/07 12:32, stan wrote:
    >> stan wrote:

    >>> Thank for you help. I can get the same thing you did at AccuWeather. If
    >>> I click first the fonts- quite a few times I can see the page correctly.
    >>> If I then press the fonts+ I can mess it up. This is going to be a big
    >>> help at many sites.
    >>>

    >> Damn, now it won't work using the PrefBar Font+/-. The only thing I
    >> changed was that last font that you suggested.
    >>
    >> Stan
    >>

    > Doesn't Ctrl+ (Control and Plus) and Ctrl- (Control and Minus) work for you?

    Yes, it works for making the font larger but not smaller. I suspect it
    is because I have the minimum font set too high but when I lower the
    minimum font it cause other changes (like text when typing an E-mail).

    --
    PLEASE READ......................................

    I'm using SeaMonkey, a suite in the style of Netscape and Mozilla.
    Have you tried it?

  8. Re: Question about using larger fonts

    stan wrote:
    > Mark Hansen wrote:
    >> Doesn't Ctrl+ (Control and Plus) and Ctrl- (Control and Minus) work
    >> for you?

    > Yes, it works for making the font larger but not smaller. I suspect it
    > is because I have the minimum font set too high but when I lower the
    > minimum font it cause other changes (like text when typing an E-mail).

    I used to set the min font size and had the same problem. I changed to
    using the 'textzoom' add-on to set the default zoom to 125% - I can now
    reduce it with ctrl-minus if I need to.

    (Actually - although my default zoom is still 125% the dialogue to
    change it seems to have vanished over several SM updates. Never mind -
    it's in there somewhere.)

    Dave
    --
    (Remove any numerics from my email address.)

  9. Re: Question about using larger fonts

    stan wrote:
    > Mark Hansen wrote:

    >>> Damn, now it won't work using the PrefBar Font+/-. The only thing I
    >>> changed was that last font that you suggested.
    >>>
    >>> Stan
    >>>

    >> Doesn't Ctrl+ (Control and Plus) and Ctrl- (Control and Minus) work
    >> for you?

    > Yes, it works for making the font larger but not smaller. I suspect it
    > is because I have the minimum font set too high but when I lower the
    > minimum font it cause other changes (like text when typing an E-mail).

    I'd like to second all of the above concerns. Is it possible to have
    the minimum font size in Preferences/appearance/fonts set to 'none' so
    web pages will display without overlaps, but still have email fonts set
    to, say 16pt. minimum?

  10. Re: Question about using larger fonts

    On 03/09/2007 11:30 AM, Lance Courltand wrote:

    > I'd like to second all of the above concerns. Is it possible to have
    > the minimum font size in Preferences/appearance/fonts set to 'none' so
    > web pages will display without overlaps, but still have email fonts set
    > to, say 16pt. minimum?

    Raises hand & votes yes as well.

  11. Re: Question about using larger fonts

    Lance Courltand wrote:
    > stan wrote:
    >> Mark Hansen wrote:

    >>> Doesn't Ctrl+ (Control and Plus) and Ctrl- (Control and Minus) work
    >>> for you?

    >> Yes, it works for making the font larger but not smaller. I suspect it
    >> is because I have the minimum font set too high but when I lower the
    >> minimum font it cause other changes (like text when typing an E-mail).
    >>

    > I'd like to second all of the above concerns. Is it possible to have
    > the minimum font size in Preferences/appearance/fonts set to 'none' so
    > web pages will display without overlaps, but still have email fonts set
    > to, say 16pt. minimum?

    I would like fonts sizes in Mail and news be unrelated to fonts on websites.

    if I set fonts in appearance it affects, what fonts size is used in mail
    in news but then fonts are to large on websites if I sent for websites
    then they are two small on email.

  12. Re: Question about using larger fonts

    Lance Courltand wrote:
    > stan wrote:
    >> Mark Hansen wrote:

    >>> Doesn't Ctrl+ (Control and Plus) and Ctrl- (Control and Minus) work
    >>> for you?

    >> Yes, it works for making the font larger but not smaller. I suspect it
    >> is because I have the minimum font set too high but when I lower the
    >> minimum font it cause other changes (like text when typing an E-mail).
    >>

    > I'd like to second all of the above concerns. Is it possible to have
    > the minimum font size in Preferences/appearance/fonts set to 'none' so
    > web pages will display without overlaps, but still have email fonts set
    > to, say 16pt. minimum?

    Now THAT would be a great enhancement for Seamonkey!

  13. Re: Question about using larger fonts

    Bill Spikowski wrote:
    > Lance Courltand wrote:
    >> stan wrote:

    >>> Yes, it works for making the font larger but not smaller. I suspect
    >>> it is because I have the minimum font set too high but when I lower
    >>> the minimum font it cause other changes (like text when typing an
    >>> E-mail).
    >>>

    >> I'd like to second all of the above concerns. Is it possible to have
    >> the minimum font size in Preferences/appearance/fonts set to 'none' so
    >> web pages will display without overlaps, but still have email fonts
    >> set to, say 16pt. minimum?

    > Now THAT would be a great enhancement for Seamonkey!

    There must be some way of modifying userchrome.css or usercontent.css to
    do what we want. Can someone more knowledgeable in this help out?

    Lance

+ Reply to Thread