about:cache - Storage in use figure - for Memory cache device? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on about:cache - Storage in use figure - for Memory cache device? - Mozilla ; Typing 'about :cache' in the Location Bar of SM 1.0.8, immediately after clearing the cache, displays this information: Memory cache device Number of entries: 0 Maximum storage size: 15360 KiB Storage in use: 4194287 KiB Inactive storage: 0 KiB List ...

  1. about:cache - Storage in use figure - for Memory cache device?

    Typing 'about:cache' in the Location Bar of SM 1.0.8, immediately after
    clearing the cache, displays this information:

    Memory cache device

    Number of entries: 0
    Maximum storage size: 15360 KiB
    Storage in use: 4194287 KiB
    Inactive storage: 0 KiB

    List Cache Entries
    Disk cache device

    Number of entries: 0
    Maximum storage size: 20480 KiB
    Storage in use: 0 KiB
    Cache Directory: C:\WINNT\Mozilla\Profiles\%SpecificProfile%\Cache

    List Cache Entries

    I should probably have had a good sleep before asking this, but right
    now the Memory Cache figure 'Storage in use', i.e. 4194287 KiB, doesn't
    make sense to me. It's of the magnitude of the internal disk's size, but
    here we're talking about (in)memory cache - aren't we?

    I would have expected that figure to be less than that of 'Maximum
    storage size' What's wrong with me? ;-)

    According to Windows NT Task Manger, SeaMonkey.exe is currently using
    159700K on a machine with 288MB of total RAM.

    Could someone enlighten me please - what's going on?

    --
    [(Windows; U; WinNT4.0; en-US; rv:1.8.0.10) Gecko/20070217 SeaMonkey/1.0.8]

  2. Re: about:cache - Storage in use figure - for Memory cache device?

    Rolf wrote:
    > Typing 'about:cache' in the Location Bar of SM 1.0.8, immediately after
    > clearing the cache, displays this information:
    >
    > Memory cache device
    >
    > Number of entries: 0
    > Maximum storage size: 15360 KiB
    > Storage in use: 4194287 KiB
    > Inactive storage: 0 KiB
    >
    > List Cache Entries
    > Disk cache device
    >
    > Number of entries: 0
    > Maximum storage size: 20480 KiB
    > Storage in use: 0 KiB
    > Cache Directory: C:\WINNT\Mozilla\Profiles\%SpecificProfile%\Cache
    >
    > List Cache Entries
    >

    > I should probably have had a good sleep before asking this, but right
    > now the Memory Cache figure 'Storage in use', i.e. 4194287 KiB, doesn't
    > make sense to me. It's of the magnitude of the internal disk's size, but
    > here we're talking about (in)memory cache - aren't we?
    >
    > I would have expected that figure to be less than that of 'Maximum
    > storage size' What's wrong with me? ;-)
    >
    > According to Windows NT Task Manger, SeaMonkey.exe is currently using
    > 159700K on a machine with 288MB of total RAM.
    >
    > Could someone enlighten me please - what's going on?

    That looks like the 32-bit representation of negative one presented as
    an unsigned number. That would be a bug.

    Chris

  3. Re: about:cache - Storage in use figure - for Memory cache device?

    If this is a bug, as indicated by Chris Tomas - thanks Tomas, I would
    appreciate if some of you could report back what this looks like on your
    platform. Don't forget to mention your OS platform and SM version.

    This would be helpful for categorizing the bug, with respect to platform
    and application, when filing a bug report.

    So have a look at your 'about:cache' and report whether 'Storage in use'
    is greater than 'Maximum storage size', or not - AFTER CLEARING THE
    CACHE i.e. 'Preferences->Advanced->Cache->Set Cache Options->Clear Cache'.

    BTW I don't know if there are any side effects induced by this bug.

    --
    [(Windows; U; WinNT4.0; en-US; rv:1.8.0.10) Gecko/20070217 SeaMonkey/1.0.8]

  4. Re: about:cache - Storage in use figure - for Memory cache device?

    JFYI, you won't experience this if you have explicitly limited the
    browser's memory cache size by setting the browser.cache.memory.capacity
    property.
    --
    [(Windows; U; WinNT4.0; en-US; rv:1.8.0.10) Gecko/20070217 SeaMonkey/1.0.8]

  5. Re: about:cache - Storage in use figure - for Memory cache device?

    On 2007-03-04 00:07 CET,
    Rolf wrote:

    > Typing 'about:cache' in the Location Bar of SM 1.0.8, immediately after
    > clearing the cache, displays this information:
    >
    > Memory cache device
    >
    > Number of entries: 0
    > Maximum storage size: 15360 KiB
    > Storage in use: 4194287 KiB
    > Inactive storage: 0 KiB
    >
    > List Cache Entries
    > Disk cache device
    >
    > Number of entries: 0
    > Maximum storage size: 20480 KiB
    > Storage in use: 0 KiB
    > Cache Directory: C:\WINNT\Mozilla\Profiles\%SpecificProfile%\Cache
    >
    > List Cache Entries
    >

    > ... snip ...

    BTW, what is the (in-memory) cache's 'Inactive storage'?
    And, how is it calculated?

    --
    [(Windows; U; WinNT4.0; en-US; rv:1.8.0.10) Gecko/20070217 SeaMonkey/1.0.8]

  6. Re: about:cache - Storage in use figure - for Memory cache device?

    Rolf wrote:
    > If this is a bug, as indicated by Chris Tomas - thanks Tomas, I would
    > appreciate if some of you could report back what this looks like on your
    > platform. Don't forget to mention your OS platform and SM version.
    >
    > This would be helpful for categorizing the bug, with respect to platform
    > and application, when filing a bug report.
    >
    > So have a look at your 'about:cache' and report whether 'Storage in use'
    > is greater than 'Maximum storage size', or not - AFTER CLEARING THE
    > CACHE i.e. 'Preferences->Advanced->Cache->Set Cache Options->Clear Cache'.
    >
    > BTW I don't know if there are any side effects induced by this bug.

    This is what my system shows:-

    Memory cache device

    Number of entries: 1
    Maximum storage size: 12288 KiB
    Storage in use: 0 KiB
    Inactive storage: 0 KiB

    List Cache Entries
    Disk cache device

    Number of entries: 0
    Maximum storage size: 51200 KiB
    Storage in use: 0 KiB
    Cache Directory: /mnt/win_f/Profile/Profile/Cache

    List Cache Entries

    It did have your 4194287kb figure before I cleared the cache.

    Daniel

  7. Re: about:cache - Storage in use figure - for Memory cache device?

    On 03/03/2007 03:11 PM, Chris Thomas wrote:
    > Rolf wrote:
    >> Typing 'about:cache' in the Location Bar of SM 1.0.8, immediately after
    >> clearing the cache, displays this information:
    >>
    >> Memory cache device
    >>
    >> Number of entries: 0
    >> Maximum storage size: 15360 KiB
    >> Storage in use: 4194287 KiB
    >> Inactive storage: 0 KiB
    >>
    >> List Cache Entries
    >> Disk cache device
    >>
    >> Number of entries: 0
    >> Maximum storage size: 20480 KiB
    >> Storage in use: 0 KiB
    >> Cache Directory: C:\WINNT\Mozilla\Profiles\%SpecificProfile%\Cache
    >>
    >> List Cache Entries
    >>

    >> I should probably have had a good sleep before asking this, but right
    >> now the Memory Cache figure 'Storage in use', i.e. 4194287 KiB, doesn't
    >> make sense to me. It's of the magnitude of the internal disk's size, but
    >> here we're talking about (in)memory cache - aren't we?
    >>
    >> I would have expected that figure to be less than that of 'Maximum
    >> storage size' What's wrong with me? ;-)
    >>
    >> According to Windows NT Task Manger, SeaMonkey.exe is currently using
    >> 159700K on a machine with 288MB of total RAM.
    >>
    >> Could someone enlighten me please - what's going on?
    >>

    > That looks like the 32-bit representation of negative one presented as
    > an unsigned number. That would be a bug.
    >
    > Chris

    See my posts in the Feb 8 thread:

    Re: Another little problem, alas, but a question first

    Cache cleared (disk & memory) - 1.1.1 Linux 256Mb memory 30GB hard drive:

    Memory cache device

    Number of entries: 1
    Maximum storage size: 9216 KiB
    Storage in use: 4194303 KiB
    Inactive storage: 0 KiB

    List Cache Entries
    Disk cache device

    Number of entries: 0
    Maximum storage size: 51200 KiB
    Storage in use: 0 KiB

    Reloaded one page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfedit
    Results:

    Memory cache device

    Number of entries: 25
    Maximum storage size: 9216 KiB
    Storage in use: 289 KiB
    Inactive storage: 0 KiB

    List Cache Entries
    Disk cache device

    Number of entries: 33
    Maximum storage size: 51200 KiB
    Storage in use: 180 KiB

    In about:config

    browser.cache.disk.capacity value=51200
    browser.cache.memory.capacity value=-1
    browser.cache.memory.enable value=true

    Disclaimer: profile has been carried over from Netscape (the real one
    :-) on up, so there are some pref entries that may be affecting this. I
    guess you'd really need to test on a clean install & clean profile. I
    can try that later in the week.

+ Reply to Thread