Another little problem, alas, but a question first - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Another little problem, alas, but a question first - Mozilla ; Is it permissible to post screenshots here? That would make it easier for me explain what I am wondering about. Best wishes, Charley...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. Another little problem, alas, but a question first

    Is it permissible to post screenshots here? That would make it easier
    for me explain what I am wondering about.

    Best wishes,
    Charley

  2. Re: Another little problem, alas, but a question first

    Charles Milton Ling wrote:
    > Is it permissible to post screenshots here? That would make it easier
    > for me explain what I am wondering about.
    >
    > Best wishes,
    > Charley

    no. They get stripped from the message. You can post it on a place you
    have or if you don't have anything, then try http://imageshack.us and
    post a link to that.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

  3. Re: Another little problem, alas, but a question first

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Charles Milton Ling wrote:
    >> Is it permissible to post screenshots here? That would make it easier
    >> for me explain what I am wondering about.
    >>
    >> Best wishes,
    >> Charley

    > no. They get stripped from the message. You can post it on a place you
    > have or if you don't have anything, then try http://imageshack.us and
    > post a link to that.

    Photobucket is good as well

  4. Re: Another little problem, alas, but a question first

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Charles Milton Ling wrote:
    >>> Is it permissible to post screenshots here? That would make it
    >>> easier for me explain what I am wondering about.
    >>>
    >>> Best wishes,
    >>> Charley

    >> no. They get stripped from the message. You can post it on a place
    >> you have or if you don't have anything, then try http://imageshack.us
    >> and post a link to that.
    >>

    > Photobucket is good as well

    Well, here is an attempt, and I do hope you will be able to read the
    screenshots.

    It is only when using the Mozilla newsgroups that I get this message
    after posting:
    http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5...board01ei5.png

    I have to click ("cancel") on various messages I receive after that, and
    all seems to be well.

    I think, however, that this unusual (isn't it?) array of "Sent" folders
    might be to blame:
    http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/9...board02zs3.png

    I have no idea how to correct it. (I'll spare you a recapitulation of
    my feeble attempts.)

    Did I do something very stupid at some time? I have only been using
    this installation for a week or so; perhaps I am setting a record I
    won't be proud of?

    Greetings to all,
    Charley
    --
    Charles Milton Ling
    Vienna, Austria

  5. Re: Another little problem, alas, but a question first

    Charles Milton Ling wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> no. They get stripped from the message. You can post it on a place
    >>> you have or if you don't have anything, then try http://imageshack.us
    >>> and post a link to that.
    >>>

    >> Photobucket is good as well
    >>

    > Well, here is an attempt, and I do hope you will be able to read the
    > screenshots.
    >
    > It is only when using the Mozilla newsgroups that I get this message
    > after posting:
    > http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5...board01ei5.png
    >
    > I have to click ("cancel") on various messages I receive after that, and
    > all seems to be well.
    >
    > I think, however, that this unusual (isn't it?) array of "Sent" folders
    > might be to blame:
    > http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/9...board02zs3.png
    >
    > I have no idea how to correct it. (I'll spare you a recapitulation of
    > my feeble attempts.)
    >
    > Did I do something very stupid at some time? I have only been using
    > this installation for a week or so; perhaps I am setting a record I
    > won't be proud of?
    >
    > Greetings to all,
    > Charley

    close the program and delete the file sent.msf for that account. Reopen
    and try again. Does it work now?

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

  6. Re: Another little problem, alas, but a question first

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Charles Milton Ling wrote:
    >> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    >>> Photobucket is good as well
    >>>

    >> Well, here is an attempt, and I do hope you will be able to read the
    >> screenshots.
    >>
    >> It is only when using the Mozilla newsgroups that I get this message
    >> after posting:
    >> http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5...board01ei5.png
    >>
    >> I have to click ("cancel") on various messages I receive after that,
    >> and all seems to be well.
    >>
    >> I think, however, that this unusual (isn't it?) array of "Sent"
    >> folders might be to blame:
    >> http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/9...board02zs3.png
    >>
    >> I have no idea how to correct it. (I'll spare you a recapitulation of
    >> my feeble attempts.)
    >>
    >> Did I do something very stupid at some time? I have only been using
    >> this installation for a week or so; perhaps I am setting a record I
    >> won't be proud of?
    >>
    >> Greetings to all,
    >> Charley

    > close the program and delete the file sent.msf for that account. Reopen
    > and try again. Does it work now?

    This may seem unbelievable, but I am really quite sure I do not have a
    file containing "sent.msf" anywhere at all. I have used the usual
    search function, and even tried to find it myself.

    Strange.

    --
    Charles Milton Ling
    Vienna, Austria

  7. Re: Another little problem, alas, but a question first

    Charles Milton Ling wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Charles Milton Ling wrote:

    >>> Well, here is an attempt, and I do hope you will be able to read the
    >>> screenshots.
    >>>
    >>> It is only when using the Mozilla newsgroups that I get this message
    >>> after posting:
    >>> http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5...board01ei5.png
    >>>
    >>> I have to click ("cancel") on various messages I receive after that,
    >>> and all seems to be well.
    >>>
    >>> I think, however, that this unusual (isn't it?) array of "Sent"
    >>> folders might be to blame:
    >>> http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/9...board02zs3.png
    >>>
    >>> I have no idea how to correct it. (I'll spare you a recapitulation
    >>> of my feeble attempts.)
    >>>
    >>> Did I do something very stupid at some time? I have only been using
    >>> this installation for a week or so; perhaps I am setting a record I
    >>> won't be proud of?
    >>>
    >>> Greetings to all,
    >>> Charley

    >> close the program and delete the file sent.msf for that account.
    >> Reopen and try again. Does it work now?
    >>

    > This may seem unbelievable, but I am really quite sure I do not have a
    > file containing "sent.msf" anywhere at all. I have used the usual
    > search function, and even tried to find it myself.
    >
    > Strange.

    the file is in your SM profile and its hidden. To find your SM profile
    you can read this:
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seam...files_profiles

    but, if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

  8. Re: Another little problem, alas, but a question first

    Charles Milton Ling wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Charles Milton Ling wrote:

    [...]
    >>> Well, here is an attempt, and I do hope you will be able to read the
    >>> screenshots.
    >>>
    >>> It is only when using the Mozilla newsgroups that I get this message
    >>> after posting:
    >>> http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5...board01ei5.png
    >>>
    >>> I have to click ("cancel") on various messages I receive after that,
    >>> and all seems to be well.
    >>>
    >>> I think, however, that this unusual (isn't it?) array of "Sent"
    >>> folders might be to blame:
    >>> http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/9...board02zs3.png
    >>>
    >>> I have no idea how to correct it. (I'll spare you a recapitulation
    >>> of my feeble attempts.)
    >>>
    >>> Did I do something very stupid at some time? I have only been using
    >>> this installation for a week or so; perhaps I am setting a record I
    >>> won't be proud of?
    >>>
    >>> Greetings to all,
    >>> Charley

    >> close the program and delete the file sent.msf for that account.
    >> Reopen and try again. Does it work now?
    >>

    > This may seem unbelievable, but I am really quite sure I do not have a
    > file containing "sent.msf" anywhere at all. I have used the usual
    > search function, and even tried to find it myself.

    Looks like you are running 1.1 on Windows. It is no longer necessary
    to dig into your profile files to fix msf files.

    Right click on the Sent folder, select Properties then click on
    [Rebuild Index].

    --
    Rich (Pull thorn from address to e-mail me.)
    SeaMonkey - Surfing the net has never been so suite!

  9. Re: Another little problem, alas, but a question first

    Rich Gray wrote:
    > Charles Milton Ling wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> Charles Milton Ling wrote:

    > [...]
    >>>
    >>> close the program and delete the file sent.msf for that account.
    >>> Reopen and try again. Does it work now?
    >>>

    >> This may seem unbelievable, but I am really quite sure I do not have a
    >> file containing "sent.msf" anywhere at all. I have used the usual
    >> search function, and even tried to find it myself.

    > Looks like you are running 1.1 on Windows. It is no longer necessary
    > to dig into your profile files to fix msf files.
    >
    > Right click on the Sent folder, select Properties then click on
    > [Rebuild Index].

    Fascinating stuff.
    It took me a long time to get Windows to allow me to play with matches
    again (of course, I had everything unhidden before my reinstallation),
    then had to get the Search thing to look for files it didn't really want
    to find. Duly deleted the sent.msf. No change.

    Then tried the right-click on Properties-Rebuild Index. No effect at
    all. (I am indeed running 1.1 on WinXP Pro SP2).

    I can only again say: strange.

    Thank you very much. It may well be that I am still doing something
    wrong. But I am not a complete idiot; I have been screwing up computers
    for almost ten years.

    Charley

    --
    Charles Milton Ling
    Vienna, Austria

  10. Re: Another little problem, alas, but a question first

    Charles Milton Ling wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Charles Milton Ling wrote:

    >>> Well, here is an attempt, and I do hope you will be able to read the
    >>> screenshots.
    >>>
    >>> It is only when using the Mozilla newsgroups that I get this message
    >>> after posting:
    >>> http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5...board01ei5.png
    >>>
    >>> I have to click ("cancel") on various messages I receive after that,
    >>> and all seems to be well.
    >>>
    >>> I think, however, that this unusual (isn't it?) array of "Sent"
    >>> folders might be to blame:
    >>> http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/9...board02zs3.png
    >>>
    >>> I have no idea how to correct it. (I'll spare you a recapitulation
    >>> of my feeble attempts.)
    >>>
    >>> Did I do something very stupid at some time? I have only been using
    >>> this installation for a week or so; perhaps I am setting a record I
    >>> won't be proud of?
    >>>
    >>> Greetings to all,
    >>> Charley

    >> close the program and delete the file sent.msf for that account.
    >> Reopen and try again. Does it work now?
    >>

    > This may seem unbelievable, but I am really quite sure I do not have a
    > file containing "sent.msf" anywhere at all. I have used the usual
    > search function, and even tried to find it myself.
    >
    > Strange.

    Charley, is it possible that your profile folders are marked as ¨Read
    Only¨? Right click on your Inbox (not Inbox.msf) and check it´s
    properties and make sure it is not Read only. Same for the other files
    in your profile.

    HTH

    Daniel

  11. Re: Another little problem, alas, but a question first

    No, they are not "Read Only".

    Charley

    --
    Charles Milton Ling
    Vienna, Austria

  12. Re: Another little problem, alas, but a question first

    Charles Milton Ling wrote:

    > Well, here is an attempt, and I do hope you will be able to read the
    > screenshots.
    >
    > It is only when using the Mozilla newsgroups that I get this message
    > after posting:
    > http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5...board01ei5.png
    >
    > I have to click ("cancel") on various messages I receive after that, and
    > all seems to be well.
    >
    > I think, however, that this unusual (isn't it?) array of "Sent" folders
    > might be to blame:
    > http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/9...board02zs3.png
    >
    > I have no idea how to correct it. (I'll spare you a recapitulation of
    > my feeble attempts.)
    >
    > Did I do something very stupid at some time? I have only been using
    > this installation for a week or so; perhaps I am setting a record I
    > won't be proud of?
    >
    > Greetings to all,
    > Charley

    Check your Edit|Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings|news.mozilla.org
    settings and compare them with another nntp account. Also, you'll find
    the paths for your newsgroup rc file and save file locations there as
    well.

    For finding the location for your mail & news files on the computer do:
    about:cache (rather than about:config) and follow the "Cache Directory:"
    path that is listed.

  13. Re: Another little problem, alas, but a question first

    NoOp wrote:
    > Charles Milton Ling wrote:
    >
    >> Well, here is an attempt, and I do hope you will be able to read the
    >> screenshots.
    >>
    >> It is only when using the Mozilla newsgroups that I get this message
    >> after posting:
    >> http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5...board01ei5.png
    >>
    >> I have to click ("cancel") on various messages I receive after that, and
    >> all seems to be well.
    >>
    >> I think, however, that this unusual (isn't it?) array of "Sent" folders
    >> might be to blame:
    >> http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/9...board02zs3.png
    >>
    >> I have no idea how to correct it. (I'll spare you a recapitulation of
    >> my feeble attempts.)
    >>
    >> Did I do something very stupid at some time? I have only been using
    >> this installation for a week or so; perhaps I am setting a record I
    >> won't be proud of?
    >>
    >> Greetings to all,
    >> Charley

    > Check your Edit|Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings|news.mozilla.org
    > settings and compare them with another nntp account. Also, you'll find
    > the paths for your newsgroup rc file and save file locations there as
    > well.
    >
    > For finding the location for your mail & news files on the computer do:
    > about:cache (rather than about:config) and follow the "Cache Directory:"
    > path that is listed.

    Excellent idea, thank you! I think I have now managed to have sent
    messages stored in one of my three "Sent" folders on "Local Folders", at
    least it worked when I tried in mozilla.test. I don't mind having two
    extra folders - after all who else has that many? It distinguishes me
    from the masses :-)

    If, as I assume, this works here (i.e. mozilla.support.seamonkey), you
    won't be hearing from me again. (At least for a while...)

    Thank you all. You are great people.

    Charley

    --
    Charles Milton Ling
    Vienna, Austria

  14. Re: Another little problem, alas, but a question first

    NoOp wrote:
    > Charles Milton Ling wrote:
    >
    >> Well, here is an attempt, and I do hope you will be able to read the
    >> screenshots.
    >>
    >> It is only when using the Mozilla newsgroups that I get this message
    >> after posting:
    >> http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5...board01ei5.png
    >>
    >> I have to click ("cancel") on various messages I receive after that, and
    >> all seems to be well.
    >>
    >> I think, however, that this unusual (isn't it?) array of "Sent" folders
    >> might be to blame:
    >> http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/9...board02zs3.png
    >>
    >> I have no idea how to correct it. (I'll spare you a recapitulation of
    >> my feeble attempts.)
    >>
    >> Did I do something very stupid at some time? I have only been using
    >> this installation for a week or so; perhaps I am setting a record I
    >> won't be proud of?
    >>
    >> Greetings to all,
    >> Charley

    > Check your Edit|Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings|news.mozilla.org
    > settings and compare them with another nntp account. Also, you'll find
    > the paths for your newsgroup rc file and save file locations there as
    > well.
    >
    > For finding the location for your mail & news files on the computer do:
    > about:cache (rather than about:config) and follow the "Cache Directory:"
    > path that is listed.

    Hi everybody,

    Can someone explain me the "memory cache device" thing? I was able to
    figure out the disk cache device but for the memory cache device, the
    answer escape me. (Following the "about:cache" step)

    I see :

    number of entries: 2

    maximum storage size: 16384 KiB (I presume KiB=Kilobytes, right?)
    storage in use: 4194302 KiB and
    inactive storage: 2KiB

    Why S.I.U. is so big?

    Thanks

    Marco

  15. Re: Another little problem, alas, but a question first

    Marco wrote:
    > NoOp wrote:
    >> Charles Milton Ling wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well, here is an attempt, and I do hope you will be able to read the
    >>> screenshots.
    >>>
    >>> It is only when using the Mozilla newsgroups that I get this message
    >>> after posting:
    >>> http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5...board01ei5.png
    >>>
    >>> I have to click ("cancel") on various messages I receive after that, and
    >>> all seems to be well.
    >>>
    >>> I think, however, that this unusual (isn't it?) array of "Sent" folders
    >>> might be to blame:
    >>> http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/9...board02zs3.png
    >>>
    >>> I have no idea how to correct it. (I'll spare you a recapitulation of
    >>> my feeble attempts.)
    >>>
    >>> Did I do something very stupid at some time? I have only been using
    >>> this installation for a week or so; perhaps I am setting a record I
    >>> won't be proud of?
    >>>
    >>> Greetings to all,
    >>> Charley

    >> Check your Edit|Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings|news.mozilla.org
    >> settings and compare them with another nntp account. Also, you'll find
    >> the paths for your newsgroup rc file and save file locations there as
    >> well.
    >>
    >> For finding the location for your mail & news files on the computer do:
    >> about:cache (rather than about:config) and follow the "Cache Directory:"
    >> path that is listed.
    >>

    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > Can someone explain me the "memory cache device" thing? I was able to
    > figure out the disk cache device but for the memory cache device, the
    > answer escape me. (Following the "about:cache" step)
    >
    > I see :
    >
    > number of entries: 2
    >
    > maximum storage size: 16384 KiB (I presume KiB=Kilobytes, right?)
    > storage in use: 4194302 KiB and
    > inactive storage: 2KiB
    >

    > Why S.I.U. is so big?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Marco

    Don't know. FWIW mine shows the same (SM 1.1 linux):

    Storage in use: 4194302 KiB

  16. Re: Another little problem, alas, but a question first

    Daniel wrote:
    > NoOp wrote:

    >> Don't know. FWIW mine shows the same (SM 1.1 linux):
    >>
    >> Storage in use: 4194302 KiB
    >>

    > I like being different......mine are:
    > MAX 18432 KiB
    > in Use 6730 KiB, and,
    > Inactive 6394 KiB
    > (and this is with 384 MB RAM)
    >
    > How much RAM do you Guys have, NoOp and Marco?
    >
    > Daniel

    256MB

  17. Re: Another little problem, alas, but a question first

    NoOp wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >> NoOp wrote:

    >>> Don't know. FWIW mine shows the same (SM 1.1 linux):
    >>>
    >>> Storage in use: 4194302 KiB
    >>>

    >> I like being different......mine are:
    >> MAX 18432 KiB
    >> in Use 6730 KiB, and,
    >> Inactive 6394 KiB
    >> (and this is with 384 MB RAM)
    >>
    >> How much RAM do you Guys have, NoOp and Marco?
    >>
    >> Daniel

    > 256MB

    768MB

  18. Re: Another little problem, alas, but a question first

    Marco wrote:
    > NoOp wrote:
    >> Daniel wrote:

    >>> I like being different......mine are:
    >>> MAX 18432 KiB
    >>> in Use 6730 KiB, and,
    >>> Inactive 6394 KiB
    >>> (and this is with 384 MB RAM)
    >>>
    >>> How much RAM do you Guys have, NoOp and Marco?
    >>>
    >>> Daniel

    >> 256MB

    > 768MB

    Hang on!! You are both getting over 4 GB 9of storage from less than 1 GB
    of RAM?? Or are your 4 GBs' of disk storage??

    Daniel

  19. Re: Another little problem, alas, but a question first

    Marco wrote:
    > NoOp wrote:
    >> Daniel wrote:

    >>> I like being different......mine are:
    >>> MAX 18432 KiB
    >>> in Use 6730 KiB, and,
    >>> Inactive 6394 KiB
    >>> (and this is with 384 MB RAM)
    >>>
    >>> How much RAM do you Guys have, NoOp and Marco?
    >>>
    >>> Daniel

    >> 256MB

    > 768MB

    Hang on!! You both are showing over 4 GB of storage with less than 1 GB
    of RAM?? Or are you both indicating you Disk storages??

    Daniel

  20. Re: Another little problem, alas, but a question first

    Mac OSX.3.9
    SM 1.1

    Memory Cache

    # of Entries 250