SM1.0.7 SLOOOW loading of web pages and opening mail - Mozilla

This is a discussion on SM1.0.7 SLOOOW loading of web pages and opening mail - Mozilla ; January 24, 2007 System Information: Windows 2000 Pro, 1Gig Ram, Seamonkey 1.0.7, Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106IC. High speed cable connection using Comcast Description of Problem: Seamonkey and IE6 fail to load web pages This problem just started about two weeks ago ...

  1. SM1.0.7 SLOOOW loading of web pages and opening mail

    January 24, 2007

    System Information: Windows 2000 Pro, 1Gig Ram, Seamonkey 1.0.7,
    Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106IC. High speed cable connection using
    Comcast

    Description of Problem: Seamonkey and IE6 fail to load web pages

    This problem just started about two weeks ago - I have not install any
    new software.
    Seamonkey opens correctly and connects to my ISP. The first several
    web sites I try to connect to load "OK" - takes 30 or so seconds for
    most pages.
    E-mail messages download OK from Comcast and also open "OK".

    Then something strange happens. I will try to access a web page and
    Seamonkey takes an exceedingly long time to load the page maybe 3 or 4
    minutes. Sometimes it never finish loading, it just grinds away -
    the bubbles continue to bubble up around the seamonkey. I have to
    select X to stop. The web pages are big name URL's, like Wall Street
    Journal; http://online.wsj.com/home/us. Opening e-mail is also
    affected- long time to open and display messages and some never open.

    I close Seamonkey and restart but the long load time for web pages is
    still present.

    Internet explorer acts the same way.

    I can power down and reboot. This solves the problem for a few initial
    accesses but then Seamonkey (and IE 6)goes into the long load time
    mode. NOTE: I can open Seamonkey first and get the long load time
    mode and then shut down Seamonkey and open IE6. IE6 will immediately
    have the problem. Or I can reboot and open IE6 first and get to the
    long load time problem and then shut down IE6 and open Seamonkey and
    will immediately have the problem.

    So what ever is happening affects both Seamonkey and IE6 in the same
    way.

    What I have done -- all unsuccessful in solving the problem.

    1. Did a full spyware/virus sweep with using Spysweeper - nothing
    found.
    2. I have Zone Alarm Pro -- No attempts or spyware reported
    3. Cleared the IE6 cookies and caches
    4. Cleared all temp fil es using "disk clean up"
    5. chkdsk and repair + defrag with Diskeeper

    SOLUTION or suggestion on how to restore performance to Seamonkey and
    IE6??

    Thanks

  2. Re: SM1.0.7 SLOOOW loading of web pages and opening mail

    krazykat wrote:
    > January 24, 2007
    >
    > System Information: Windows 2000 Pro, 1Gig Ram, Seamonkey 1.0.7,
    > Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106IC. High speed cable connection using
    > Comcast
    >

    > Description of Problem: Seamonkey and IE6 fail to load web pages
    >
    > This problem just started about two weeks ago - I have not install any
    > new software.
    > Seamonkey opens correctly and connects to my ISP. The first several
    > web sites I try to connect to load "OK" - takes 30 or so seconds for
    > most pages.
    > E-mail messages download OK from Comcast and also open "OK".
    >
    > Then something strange happens. I will try to access a web page and
    > Seamonkey takes an exceedingly long time to load the page maybe 3 or 4
    > minutes. Sometimes it never finish loading, it just grinds away -
    > the bubbles continue to bubble up around the seamonkey. I have to
    > select X to stop. The web pages are big name URL's, like Wall Street
    > Journal; http://online.wsj.com/home/us. Opening e-mail is also
    > affected- long time to open and display messages and some never open.
    >
    > I close Seamonkey and restart but the long load time for web pages is
    > still present.
    >
    > Internet explorer acts the same way.
    >
    > I can power down and reboot. This solves the problem for a few initial
    > accesses but then Seamonkey (and IE 6)goes into the long load time
    > mode. NOTE: I can open Seamonkey first and get the long load time
    > mode and then shut down Seamonkey and open IE6. IE6 will immediately
    > have the problem. Or I can reboot and open IE6 first and get to the
    > long load time problem and then shut down IE6 and open Seamonkey and
    > will immediately have the problem.
    >
    > So what ever is happening affects both Seamonkey and IE6 in the same
    > way.
    >

    > What I have done -- all unsuccessful in solving the problem.
    >
    > 1. Did a full spyware/virus sweep with using Spysweeper - nothing
    > found.
    > 2. I have Zone Alarm Pro -- No attempts or spyware reported
    > 3. Cleared the IE6 cookies and caches
    > 4. Cleared all temp fil es using "disk clean up"
    > 5. chkdsk and repair + defrag with Diskeeper
    >

    > SOLUTION or suggestion on how to restore performance to Seamonkey and
    > IE6??
    >
    > Thanks

    As far as checking for spyware, you might try: Spybot (
    http://www.safer-networking.org/ ) and Adaware (
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ ) as well as SpySweeper may have missed things.

    When checking for viruses, what did you use?

    Since you said it affects both IE and SM, do you have another computer
    you can try it on to see if it's a problem. (If you don't you might
    also try live booting a linux CD just to rule out a problem in Windows)

  3. Re: SM1.0.7 SLOOOW loading of web pages and opening mail

    krazykat wrote:
    > January 24, 2007
    >
    > System Information: Windows 2000 Pro, 1Gig Ram, Seamonkey 1.0.7,
    > Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106IC. High speed cable connection using
    > Comcast
    >

    > Description of Problem: Seamonkey and IE6 fail to load web pages
    >
    > This problem just started about two weeks ago - I have not install any
    > new software.
    > Seamonkey opens correctly and connects to my ISP. The first several
    > web sites I try to connect to load "OK" - takes 30 or so seconds for
    > most pages.
    > E-mail messages download OK from Comcast and also open "OK".
    >
    > Then something strange happens. I will try to access a web page and
    > Seamonkey takes an exceedingly long time to load the page maybe 3 or 4
    > minutes. Sometimes it never finish loading, it just grinds away -
    > the bubbles continue to bubble up around the seamonkey. I have to
    > select X to stop. The web pages are big name URL's, like Wall Street
    > Journal; http://online.wsj.com/home/us. Opening e-mail is also
    > affected- long time to open and display messages and some never open.
    >
    > I close Seamonkey and restart but the long load time for web pages is
    > still present.
    >
    > Internet explorer acts the same way.
    >
    > I can power down and reboot. This solves the problem for a few initial
    > accesses but then Seamonkey (and IE 6)goes into the long load time
    > mode. NOTE: I can open Seamonkey first and get the long load time
    > mode and then shut down Seamonkey and open IE6. IE6 will immediately
    > have the problem. Or I can reboot and open IE6 first and get to the
    > long load time problem and then shut down IE6 and open Seamonkey and
    > will immediately have the problem.
    >
    > So what ever is happening affects both Seamonkey and IE6 in the same
    > way.
    >

    > What I have done -- all unsuccessful in solving the problem.
    >
    > 1. Did a full spyware/virus sweep with using Spysweeper - nothing
    > found.
    > 2. I have Zone Alarm Pro -- No attempts or spyware reported
    > 3. Cleared the IE6 cookies and caches
    > 4. Cleared all temp fil es using "disk clean up"
    > 5. chkdsk and repair + defrag with Diskeeper
    >

    > SOLUTION or suggestion on how to restore performance to Seamonkey and
    > IE6??
    >
    > Thanks

    krazykat, 1 Gbyte RAM should be heaps, but do you have you Windows Swap
    File enabled? Never used Win 2000 so donīt know where to check, maybe
    Systems Configuration or similar!!

    Daniel

+ Reply to Thread