Mail/news don't open at SM startup. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Mail/news don't open at SM startup. - Mozilla ; Using 1.1. I have the Preferences/Appearance/Mail&News checked (only that) but I get the browser when I start SM. Stan -- PLEASE READ...................................... I'm using SeaMonkey, a suite in the style of Netscape and Mozilla. Have you tried it? http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/...

  1. Mail/news don't open at SM startup.

    --
    PLEASE READ......................................

    I'm using SeaMonkey, a suite in the style of Netscape and Mozilla.
    Have you tried it?

  2. Re: Mail/news don't open at SM startup.

    stan wrote:
    > Using 1.1.
    > I have the Preferences/Appearance/Mail&News checked (only that) but I
    > get the browser when I start SM.
    >
    > Stan

    do what I do. Have one icon to start the browser, and one to start mail
    & news. Here's what to do:

    make a copy of the icon that you use to start SM. On that copy, right
    click and select Properties. Now under Target, add to that a space,
    then a dash and the word mail, so everything looks something like this:

    "C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" -mail

    Yours will be different. OK out of that, and rename that icon to SM
    Mail or whatever you want. Now, you're ready to go.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

  3. Re: Mail/news don't open at SM startup.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > stan wrote:
    >> Using 1.1.
    >> I have the Preferences/Appearance/Mail&News checked (only that) but I
    >> get the browser when I start SM.
    >>
    >> Stan
    >>

    > do what I do. Have one icon to start the browser, and one to start mail
    > & news. Here's what to do:
    >
    > make a copy of the icon that you use to start SM. On that copy, right
    > click and select Properties. Now under Target, add to that a space,
    > then a dash and the word mail, so everything looks something like this:
    >
    > "C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" -mail
    >
    > Yours will be different. OK out of that, and rename that icon to SM
    > Mail or whatever you want. Now, you're ready to go.

    Put an icon for each in your Quick Launch task bar to simplify it further.

    Mail/Browser checked, etc. possible solution
    I was able to replicate this same problem but only once, maybe twice. I
    went into Appearance settings and changed it up. Closed, opened, and
    tried other situations, then tried opening all of 5 them at once, etc.
    After that, it seems the problem cleared up.

    Try that routine. They work normally for me now. Could be a temporary
    transition thing.

    Chuck

  4. Re: Mail/news don't open at SM startup.

    *Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo* wrote:

    > make a copy of the icon that you use to start SM. On that copy, right
    > click and select Properties. Now under Target, add to that a space,
    > then a dash and the word mail, so everything looks something like this:
    >
    > "C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" -mail
    >
    > Yours will be different. OK out of that, and rename that icon to SM
    > Mail or whatever you want. Now, you're ready to go.

    And if you want a different Icon for MailNews, look at:
    http://lahls.de/seamonkey/icons.html
    --
    best regards

  5. Re: Mail/news don't open at SM startup.

    stan wrote:
    > Using 1.1.
    > I have the Preferences/Appearance/Mail&News checked (only that) but I
    > get the browser when I start SM.
    >
    > Stan

    Right click the SM icon that you use to start Seamonkey, select
    "Properties".

    If you are a Windows user: select "Target" then at the end of the line
    following \seamonkey" put the following:
    -mail -browser
    That's:
    space|dash|mail|space|dash|browser
    Click "Apply"

    Note: do nothing to the "Start in:" data.

    Now go to your Start menu/All Programs for Seamonkey and do the same for
    the SM icon there. Find any other SM start icons that you may have (task
    toolbar for instance) and do the same.

    SM should now start with the email window first, then the browser window.

    Same above applies for linux except of "Target" it is usually "Command"

  6. Re: Mail/news don't open at SM startup.

    NoOp wrote:
    > stan wrote:
    >> Using 1.1.
    >> I have the Preferences/Appearance/Mail&News checked (only that) but I
    >> get the browser when I start SM.
    >>
    >> Stan
    >>

    > Right click the SM icon that you use to start Seamonkey, select
    > "Properties".
    >
    > If you are a Windows user: select "Target" then at the end of the line
    > following \seamonkey" put the following:
    > -mail -browser
    > That's:
    > space|dash|mail|space|dash|browser
    > Click "Apply"
    >
    > Note: do nothing to the "Start in:" data.
    >
    > Now go to your Start menu/All Programs for Seamonkey and do the same for
    > the SM icon there. Find any other SM start icons that you may have (task
    > toolbar for instance) and do the same.
    >
    > SM should now start with the email window first, then the browser window.
    >
    > Same above applies for linux except of "Target" it is usually "Command"

    ....and, as Stan only wants the Mail & News to open, he would not add the
    space|dash|browser.

    And, if Stan did want both open but to be left looking at his mail,
    wouldn´t he want |space|dash|browser|space|dash|mail|? i.e. wouldn´t SM
    open the second page (in this case Mail) on top of the first (browser)??

    Daniel

  7. Re: Mail/news don't open at SM startup.

    Daniel wrote:

    > ...and, as Stan only wants the Mail & News to open, he would not add the
    > space|dash|browser.

    Correct. Sorry I missed the "don't want browser part".

    > And, if Stan did want both open but to be left looking at his mail,
    > wouldn´t he want |space|dash|browser|space|dash|mail|? i.e. wouldn´t SM
    > open the second page (in this case Mail) on top of the first (browser)??

    Yes. However I've always found it irritating that SM defaults to opening
    the browser on the left and mail on the right. Logically (for me) the
    mail pane is a constant, whereas the browser pane(s) are changing as I
    open new browser panes or multiple browser panes. Set up at -mail
    -browser leave the mail in the leftmost pane, the first browser pane on
    the right, and then as I add more browser panes then naturally
    open/display to the right across the bottom of the taskbar.

    Thanks for catching my mistake... I'll put my glasses back on :-)

  8. Re: Mail/news don't open at SM startup.

    Ruediger Lahl wrote:
    > *Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo* wrote:
    >
    >> make a copy of the icon that you use to start SM. On that copy, right
    >> click and select Properties. Now under Target, add to that a space,
    >> then a dash and the word mail, so everything looks something like this:
    >>
    >> "C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe" -mail
    >>
    >> Yours will be different. OK out of that, and rename that icon to SM
    >> Mail or whatever you want. Now, you're ready to go.

    > And if you want a different Icon for MailNews, look at:
    > http://lahls.de/seamonkey/icons.html

    Thanks for posting this link!
    --
    Tom - Vista, CA

  9. Re: Mail/news don't open at SM startup.

    stan wrote:
    > Using 1.1.
    > I have the Preferences/Appearance/Mail&News checked (only that) but I
    > get the browser when I start SM.
    >
    > Stan

    I have the same problem and discovered it only happens when Quick Launch
    is implemented. Turn off Quick Launch and it works correctly.

+ Reply to Thread