Tab Preview - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Tab Preview - Mozilla ; Is there a way to suppress the preview of a tabbed page? When I select a tab, its page moves in front of the other tabs. It's annoying to see the preview of that same page -- blocking me from ...

  1. Tab Preview

    Is there a way to suppress the preview of a tabbed page? When I select
    a tab, its page moves in front of the other tabs. It's annoying to see
    the preview of that same page -- blocking me from viewing part of the
    page itself -- merely because I haven't moved my cursor off the tab.

    --

    David E. Ross

    Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
    into your E-mail? Use PGP.
    See my

  2. Re: Tab Preview

    David E. Ross:

    >Is there a way to suppress the preview of a tabbed page?

    ----- user.js -----
    user_pref("browser.tabs.tooltippreview.enable", false);
    ---------------

    Hartmut

  3. Re: Tab Preview

    David E. Ross wrote:
    > Is there a way to suppress the preview of a tabbed page? When I select
    > a tab, its page moves in front of the other tabs. It's annoying to see
    > the preview of that same page -- blocking me from viewing part of the
    > page itself -- merely because I haven't moved my cursor off the tab.

    Nevermind. I found it:
    browser.tabs.tooltippreview.enable

    --

    David E. Ross

    Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
    into your E-mail? Use PGP.
    See my

  4. Re: Tab Preview

    David E. Ross wrote:
    > Is there a way to suppress the preview of a tabbed page? When I select
    > a tab, its page moves in front of the other tabs. It's annoying to see
    > the preview of that same page -- blocking me from viewing part of the
    > page itself -- merely because I haven't moved my cursor off the tab.

    in about:config

    browser.tabs.tooltippreview.enable
    set to false

  5. Re: Tab Preview

    David E. Ross wrote:
    > David E. Ross wrote:
    >> Is there a way to suppress the preview of a tabbed page? When I select
    >> a tab, its page moves in front of the other tabs. It's annoying to see
    >> the preview of that same page -- blocking me from viewing part of the
    >> page itself -- merely because I haven't moved my cursor off the tab.
    >>

    > Nevermind. I found it:
    > browser.tabs.tooltippreview.enable

    so far three SM 1.1 users have turned this crappy thing off.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

  6. Re: Tab Preview

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > David E. Ross wrote:
    >> David E. Ross wrote:
    >>> Is there a way to suppress the preview of a tabbed page? When I select
    >>> a tab, its page moves in front of the other tabs. It's annoying to see
    >>> the preview of that same page -- blocking me from viewing part of the
    >>> page itself -- merely because I haven't moved my cursor off the tab.
    >>>

    >> Nevermind. I found it:
    >> browser.tabs.tooltippreview.enable
    >>

    > so far three SM 1.1 users have turned this crappy thing off.

    In all fairness, it was added around November by one of the extensions I
    use, so I disabled it then (Early adopter)

  7. Re: Tab Preview

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > David E. Ross wrote:
    >> David E. Ross wrote:
    >>> Is there a way to suppress the preview of a tabbed page? When I select
    >>> a tab, its page moves in front of the other tabs. It's annoying to see
    >>> the preview of that same page -- blocking me from viewing part of the
    >>> page itself -- merely because I haven't moved my cursor off the tab.
    >>>

    >> Nevermind. I found it:
    >> browser.tabs.tooltippreview.enable
    >>

    > so far three SM 1.1 users have turned this crappy thing off.

    Now it's four...........

    Chuck

  8. Re: Tab Preview

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > David E. Ross wrote:
    >> David E. Ross wrote:
    >>> Is there a way to suppress the preview of a tabbed page? When I select
    >>> a tab, its page moves in front of the other tabs. It's annoying to see
    >>> the preview of that same page -- blocking me from viewing part of the
    >>> page itself -- merely because I haven't moved my cursor off the tab.
    >>>

    >> Nevermind. I found it:
    >> browser.tabs.tooltippreview.enable
    >>

    > so far three SM 1.1 users have turned this crappy thing off.

    See my new bug report #367461 at
    .

    --

    David E. Ross

    Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
    into your E-mail? Use PGP.
    See my

  9. Re: Tab Preview

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > David E. Ross wrote:
    >> David E. Ross wrote:
    >>> Is there a way to suppress the preview of a tabbed page? When I select
    >>> a tab, its page moves in front of the other tabs. It's annoying to see
    >>> the preview of that same page -- blocking me from viewing part of the
    >>> page itself -- merely because I haven't moved my cursor off the tab.
    >>>

    >> Nevermind. I found it:
    >> browser.tabs.tooltippreview.enable
    >>

    > so far three SM 1.1 users have turned this crappy thing off.

    Shame that we didn't get more feedback when it was initially turned on.

    Chris

  10. Re: Tab Preview

    Chris Thomas wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> David E. Ross wrote:
    >>>>

    >>> Nevermind. I found it:
    >>> browser.tabs.tooltippreview.enable
    >>>

    >> so far three SM 1.1 users have turned this crappy thing off.
    >>

    > Shame that we didn't get more feedback when it was initially turned on.
    >
    > Chris

    can I ask where you asked for feedback? In the devs ng? If so, then
    maybe it should have been asked in the support group. After all, thats
    where all the users are.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

  11. Re: Tab Preview

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > David E. Ross wrote:
    >> David E. Ross wrote:
    >>> Is there a way to suppress the preview of a tabbed page? When I select
    >>> a tab, its page moves in front of the other tabs. It's annoying to see
    >>> the preview of that same page -- blocking me from viewing part of the
    >>> page itself -- merely because I haven't moved my cursor off the tab.
    >>>

    >> Nevermind. I found it:
    >> browser.tabs.tooltippreview.enable
    >>

    > so far three SM 1.1 users have turned this crappy thing off.

    I'm using it so far. I run 1280x1024 and the default size was too small
    to be useful so I made it substantially bigger using about:config and
    browser.tabs.tooltippreview.width to set it to 600. I do find it useful
    when I have several tabs open and can't really tell from the title on
    the tab which page is which. I do wish that the delay time were
    adjustable. I sometimes surprise myself with a pop-up preview by
    accidentally hovering over a tab. It'd be nice to turn off the preview
    of the current tab as well. I'll sometimes hover over the current tab,
    maybe in anticipation of closing it, and there comes the preview of what
    I'm already reading.

    Overall, at least at this point, I like the feature. Just something new
    I need to get used to.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  12. Re: Tab Preview

    _Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo_ spoke thusly on 19/01/2007 2:15 PM:

    http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...e4dc22a3ac8aa4
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  13. Re: Tab Preview

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo_ spoke thusly on 19/01/2007 2:15 PM:
    >> can I ask where you asked for feedback? In the devs ng? If so, then
    >> maybe it should have been asked in the support group. After all,
    >> thats where all the users are.

    > http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...e4dc22a3ac8aa4

    Chris, I recall that post.

    However the text:

    "End users are NOT encouraged to upgrade to this testing version, they
    should stay with 1.0.4 and further 1.0.x security upgrades until a
    stable and final SeaMonkey 1.1 will be released later this year.

    Some of the most exciting new features include: page previews in tab
    tooltips...."

    Kept me (and possibly many others) from even knowing what you were
    talking about with the (unknown to me, then) concept of page previews.
    GW

  14. Re: Tab Preview

    Geoff Welsh wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo_ spoke thusly on 19/01/2007 2:15 PM:
    >>> can I ask where you asked for feedback? In the devs ng? If so, then
    >>> maybe it should have been asked in the support group. After all,
    >>> thats where all the users are.

    >> http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...e4dc22a3ac8aa4
    >>

    > Chris, I recall that post.
    >
    > However the text:
    >
    > "End users are NOT encouraged to upgrade to this testing version, they
    > should stay with 1.0.4 and further 1.0.x security upgrades until a
    > stable and final SeaMonkey 1.1 will be released later this year.
    >
    > Some of the most exciting new features include: page previews in tab
    > tooltips...."
    >
    > Kept me (and possibly many others) from even knowing what you were
    > talking about with the (unknown to me, then) concept of page previews.
    > GW

    I was just about to say the same thing.

    Also, having a dial-up connection, I don't download alpha or beta
    releases unless specifically requested to test a fix to a bug in which
    I'm interested.

    --

    David E. Ross

    Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
    into your E-mail? Use PGP.
    See my

  15. Re: Tab Preview

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo_ spoke thusly on 19/01/2007 2:15 PM:
    >> can I ask where you asked for feedback? In the devs ng? If so, then
    >> maybe it should have been asked in the support group. After all,
    >> thats where all the users are.

    > http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...e4dc22a3ac8aa4

    so, lets see, the request for testers came out on January 16th, then the
    annoucement for the official release comes out on January 18th. That
    sure doesn't give much time for testers to test out the program and to
    make suggestions for improvements or complain about certain functions
    such as the tab preview or to tell them how great the program is.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

  16. Re: Tab Preview

    _Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo_ spoke thusly on 21/01/2007 2:35 PM:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...e4dc22a3ac8aa4

    > so, lets see, the request for testers came out on January 16th,

    I don't know where you got that date from. The post I posted a link to
    is dated Aug 30 2006.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  17. Re: Tab Preview

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo_ spoke thusly on 21/01/2007 2:35 PM:
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...e4dc22a3ac8aa4

    >> so, lets see, the request for testers came out on January 16th,

    > I don't know where you got that date from. The post I posted a link to
    > is dated Aug 30 2006.

    Perhaps it would be good to either state, or reiterate, the formal
    process for such things, perhaps, even, to set up a unique forum for it
    (if one doesn't currently exist). The development folks might then have
    a better chance of receiving useful input, instead of, apparently,
    virtually none. And the user community wouldn't be sitting around
    grousing. Communication, one of the essentials of marketing. It's all
    well and good to say that the Open Source process is "open" to everyone.
    The reality is less than that, absent adequate communication. And
    we'd all avoid the "Monday Morning Quarterbacking" that this discussion
    is rife with.

    To be clear, I'm not criticizing nor carping, just observing, offering
    an opinion. I view it as an organizational issue, a marketing issue.
    No point in two sides gnawing at each other. Just fix the problem and
    find a better way to communicate so that the developers get the input
    they supposedly want, and the users get to influence the process as they
    want to. Or everybody shut up about it because the current process is
    clearly broken; neither of the aforementioned is happening well. On the
    other hand, I am relatively content to see what happens, try it, and
    then yell about it. I do that because I, quite frankly, don't see a
    clear path to contributing in this regard. And, PLEASE!, don't cite
    Bugzilla: It's an abomination relative to customer/user input.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  18. Re: Tab Preview

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo_ spoke thusly on 21/01/2007 2:35 PM:
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...e4dc22a3ac8aa4

    >> so, lets see, the request for testers came out on January 16th,

    > I don't know where you got that date from. The post I posted a link to
    > is dated Aug 30 2006.

    Oh, I was looking at the wrong thing. I saw Robert Kaiser and I thought
    it was this posting:
    http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...5474a64e16e874

    Anyways, I wasn't around in August of 2006.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread