Re: SeaMonkey 1.1 is here! - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: SeaMonkey 1.1 is here! - Mozilla ; Robert Kaiser wrote: > Hi all, > > SeaMonkey 1.1 is now available. Powered by the same engine as Firefox 2 > and the upcoming Thunderbird 2, SeaMonkey 1.1 includes numerous > enhancements including more visible security indicators in the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Re: SeaMonkey 1.1 is here!

  1. Re: SeaMonkey 1.1 is here!

    Robert Kaiser wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > SeaMonkey 1.1 is now available. Powered by the same engine as Firefox 2
    > and the upcoming Thunderbird 2, SeaMonkey 1.1 includes numerous
    > enhancements including more visible security indicators in the browser
    > and enhanced phishing detection for e-mail, a new tagging system for
    > e-mail that supersedes labels, support for multi-line tooltips in web
    > pages, and previews images in tab tooltips. Other changes include inline
    > spell checking in the browser, an updated version of ChatZilla, and a
    > significantly improved startup script on Linux. See the release notes
    > for a more complete list of changes.
    >
    > Full news article:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seam...tml#2007-01-18
    >
    > Downloads for all available platforms and languages:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/releases/
    >
    > Release notes:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seam.../seamonkey1.1/
    >
    > Greetings,
    >
    > Robert Kaiser
    > SeaMonkey Council member


    After installing, I noticed that when I was composing an e-mail, it
    would save it as a draft every 5 minutes. I promptly turned it off.

    Is there a reason it's turned on by default?
    --
    Tom - Vista, CA

  2. Re: SeaMonkey 1.1 is here!

    TOM7601 wrote:
    > Robert Kaiser wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> SeaMonkey 1.1 is now available. Powered by the same engine as Firefox
    >> 2 and the upcoming Thunderbird 2, SeaMonkey 1.1 includes numerous
    >> enhancements including more visible security indicators in the browser
    >> and enhanced phishing detection for e-mail, a new tagging system for
    >> e-mail that supersedes labels, support for multi-line tooltips in web
    >> pages, and previews images in tab tooltips. Other changes include
    >> inline spell checking in the browser, an updated version of ChatZilla,
    >> and a significantly improved startup script on Linux. See the release
    >> notes for a more complete list of changes.
    >>
    >> Full news article:
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seam...tml#2007-01-18
    >>
    >> Downloads for all available platforms and languages:
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/releases/
    >>
    >> Release notes:
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seam.../seamonkey1.1/
    >>
    >> Greetings,
    >>
    >> Robert Kaiser
    >> SeaMonkey Council member

    >
    > After installing, I noticed that when I was composing an e-mail, it
    > would save it as a draft every 5 minutes. I promptly turned it off.
    >
    > Is there a reason it's turned on by default?


    Maybe because the people most likely to need it aren't likely to mess
    with prefs? A lot of safety features are pointless when off by default
    since the vast majority of users won't know they exist as options that
    can be enabled.

    Chris

  3. Re: SeaMonkey 1.1 is here!

    TOM7601 wrote:
    > After installing, I noticed that when I was composing an e-mail, it
    > would save it as a draft every 5 minutes. I promptly turned it off.
    >
    > Is there a reason it's turned on by default?


    auto-save seems really dumb until you spend an hour composing an email
    and then the power goes out. Or (not that this ever happens) SeaMonkey
    crashes. After that, auto-save is the most wonderful feature on earth.

    5 minutes might be a bit frequent if you have to save to IMAP over a
    flaky connection. But it's adjustable.

    --
    Andrew Schultz
    ajschult@verizon.net
    http://www.sens.buffalo.edu/~ajs42/

  4. Re: SeaMonkey 1.1 is here!

    Andrew Schultz wrote:
    > TOM7601 wrote:
    >> Is there a reason it's turned on by default?

    >
    > auto-save seems really dumb until you spend an hour composing an email
    > and then the power goes out. Or (not that this ever happens) SeaMonkey
    > crashes. After that, auto-save is the most wonderful feature on earth.
    >


    or your lithium-ion battery on your laptop decides to catch on fire.

    --
    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

  5. Re: SeaMonkey 1.1 is here!

    Chris Thomas wrote:
    > TOM7601 wrote:
    >> Robert Kaiser wrote:
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> SeaMonkey 1.1 is now available. Powered by the same engine as Firefox
    >>> 2 and the upcoming Thunderbird 2, SeaMonkey 1.1 includes numerous
    >>> enhancements including more visible security indicators in the
    >>> browser and enhanced phishing detection for e-mail, a new tagging
    >>> system for e-mail that supersedes labels, support for multi-line
    >>> tooltips in web pages, and previews images in tab tooltips. Other
    >>> changes include inline spell checking in the browser, an updated
    >>> version of ChatZilla, and a significantly improved startup script on
    >>> Linux. See the release notes for a more complete list of changes.
    >>>
    >>> Full news article:
    >>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seam...tml#2007-01-18
    >>>
    >>> Downloads for all available platforms and languages:
    >>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/releases/
    >>>
    >>> Release notes:
    >>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seam.../seamonkey1.1/
    >>>
    >>> Greetings,
    >>>
    >>> Robert Kaiser
    >>> SeaMonkey Council member

    >>
    >> After installing, I noticed that when I was composing an e-mail, it
    >> would save it as a draft every 5 minutes. I promptly turned it off.
    >>
    >> Is there a reason it's turned on by default?

    >
    > Maybe because the people most likely to need it aren't likely to mess
    > with prefs? A lot of safety features are pointless when off by default
    > since the vast majority of users won't know they exist as options that
    > can be enabled.
    >
    > Chris

    on that note I just discovered,
    Preferences/Navigator/Tabbed Browsing - Links from other applications,
    with 3 choices.
    This also affects links from mail. It was default set to "A New Window"
    and that's why I discovered it.

    GW

  6. Re: SeaMonkey 1.1 is here!

    TOM7601 wrote:
    [...]
    >
    > After installing, I noticed that when I was composing an e-mail, it
    > would save it as a draft every 5 minutes. I promptly turned it off.
    >
    > Is there a reason it's turned on by default?


    That feature has saved me numerous times when my finger/brain interface
    inadvertently selects Close instead of Send.
    I vote it as a very good item, and one that has saved me hours of time
    not having to rethink and retype a long message.

    keith whaley

  7. Re: SeaMonkey 1.1 is here!

    Andrew Schultz wrote:
    > TOM7601 wrote:
    >> After installing, I noticed that when I was composing an e-mail, it
    >> would save it as a draft every 5 minutes. I promptly turned it off.
    >>
    >> Is there a reason it's turned on by default?

    >
    > auto-save seems really dumb until you spend an hour composing an email
    > and then the power goes out. Or (not that this ever happens) SeaMonkey
    > crashes. After that, auto-save is the most wonderful feature on earth.
    >
    > 5 minutes might be a bit frequent if you have to save to IMAP over a
    > flaky connection. But it's adjustable.
    >


    Auto-save - I'll toast to that one..........let me count the times it
    saved me....thirty plus - oops, ran out of toes and fingers.

    Chuck

  8. OT was Re: SeaMonkey 1.1 is here!

    Chuck wrote:
    > Andrew Schultz wrote:
    >> TOM7601 wrote:
    >>> After installing, I noticed that when I was composing an e-mail, it
    >>> would save it as a draft every 5 minutes. I promptly turned it off.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a reason it's turned on by default?

    >>
    >> auto-save seems really dumb until you spend an hour composing an email
    >> and then the power goes out. Or (not that this ever happens)
    >> SeaMonkey crashes. After that, auto-save is the most wonderful
    >> feature on earth.
    >>
    >> 5 minutes might be a bit frequent if you have to save to IMAP over a
    >> flaky connection. But it's adjustable.
    >>

    >
    > Auto-save - I'll toast to that one..........let me count the times it
    > saved me....thirty plus - oops, ran out of toes and fingers.
    >
    > Chuck


    Most people have ten fingers and ten toes, total twenty.......are you
    special Chuck??

    Daniel

  9. Re: SeaMonkey 1.1 is here!

    keithw wrote:
    > TOM7601 wrote:
    > [...]
    >>
    >> After installing, I noticed that when I was composing an e-mail, it
    >> would save it as a draft every 5 minutes. I promptly turned it off.
    >>
    >> Is there a reason it's turned on by default?

    >
    > That feature has saved me numerous times when my finger/brain interface
    > inadvertently selects Close instead of Send.
    > I vote it as a very good item, and one that has saved me hours of time
    > not having to rethink and retype a long message.
    >
    > keith whaley


    I don't use that "save every..." feature, but when I select Close instead of
    Send in Tb2, I get a popup with three choices:
    Don't save
    Save in Drafts
    Cancel (i.e., don't close).

    Is SeaMonkey any different?


    Best regards,
    Tony.

  10. Re: SeaMonkey 1.1 is here!

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > keithw wrote:
    >> TOM7601 wrote:
    >> [...]
    >>>
    >>> After installing, I noticed that when I was composing an e-mail, it
    >>> would save it as a draft every 5 minutes. I promptly turned it off.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a reason it's turned on by default?


    >> That feature has saved me numerous times when my finger/brain
    >> interface inadvertently selects Close instead of Send.
    >> I vote it as a very good item, and one that has saved me hours of time
    >> not having to rethink and retype a long message.
    >>
    >> keith whaley


    > I don't use that "save every..." feature, but when I select Close
    > instead of Send in Tb2, I get a popup with three choices:
    > Don't save
    > Save in Drafts
    > Cancel (i.e., don't close).
    >
    > Is SeaMonkey any different?
    >
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Tony.


    I"m running the Mac OSX version SeaMonkey 1.1 and when I reply to a
    message, if instead of Save, I press the Close button, it closes with no
    dialog and I lose the message answer I had been preparing!
    I haven't stayed on for over 5 minutes since I got the latest version
    (1.1) but the previous versions did it too.

    So, I guess the answer to your question is, no, SeaMonkey 1.1 (to be
    specific) does not act as Tb2 does in that regard.

    But, tell me, which "Close" did you select?
    I have the top 3 window bar buttons, far left, the leftmost of which is
    the Close Window button, with the X in it. That one acts as I described
    above.
    When I inadvertantly dump a message answer I've been working on, it's
    because I pressed that button. Gone!

    Then, I have File/Close, which is also Command-W. I haven't tried that
    one yet, but why would it be any different from the window bar button's
    'close?'

    Okay, after saving a copy of this answer, I just tried the File/Close
    button, and I get NO warning. It closes with the same finality the radio
    button does... So, yes, SeaMonkey IS different.

    keith whaley

  11. Re: SeaMonkey 1.1 is here!

    keithw wrote:
    > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >> keithw wrote:
    >>> TOM7601 wrote:
    >>> [...]
    >>>>
    >>>> After installing, I noticed that when I was composing an e-mail, it
    >>>> would save it as a draft every 5 minutes. I promptly turned it off.
    >>>>
    >>>> Is there a reason it's turned on by default?

    >
    >>> That feature has saved me numerous times when my finger/brain
    >>> interface inadvertently selects Close instead of Send.
    >>> I vote it as a very good item, and one that has saved me hours of
    >>> time not having to rethink and retype a long message.
    >>>
    >>> keith whaley

    >
    >> I don't use that "save every..." feature, but when I select Close
    >> instead of Send in Tb2, I get a popup with three choices:
    >> Don't save
    >> Save in Drafts
    >> Cancel (i.e., don't close).
    >>
    >> Is SeaMonkey any different?
    >>
    >>
    >> Best regards,
    >> Tony.

    >
    > I"m running the Mac OSX version SeaMonkey 1.1 and when I reply to a
    > message, if instead of Save, I press the Close button, it closes with no
    > dialog and I lose the message answer I had been preparing!
    > I haven't stayed on for over 5 minutes since I got the latest version
    > (1.1) but the previous versions did it too.
    >
    > So, I guess the answer to your question is, no, SeaMonkey 1.1 (to be
    > specific) does not act as Tb2 does in that regard.
    >
    > But, tell me, which "Close" did you select?


    Ctrl-W or titlebar [x] (at far right in the default theme on Linux), the
    result is the same.

    > I have the top 3 window bar buttons, far left, the leftmost of which is
    > the Close Window button, with the X in it. That one acts as I described
    > above.
    > When I inadvertantly dump a message answer I've been working on, it's
    > because I pressed that button. Gone!
    >
    > Then, I have File/Close, which is also Command-W. I haven't tried that
    > one yet, but why would it be any different from the window bar button's
    > 'close?'
    >
    > Okay, after saving a copy of this answer, I just tried the File/Close
    > button, and I get NO warning. It closes with the same finality the radio
    > button does... So, yes, SeaMonkey IS different.
    >
    > keith whaley


    I don't get that dialog if I close immediately after saving; but if the
    message is unsaved (e.g. if I change my mind about a message, and decide
    neither to save nor send it), then when I hit Ctrl-W or titlebar [x] I get the
    dialog. Also on File => Close which I normally don't use but tried just now.

    Could there be a pref for this behaviour? If there is, I can't find it.


    Best regards,
    Tony.

  12. Re: SeaMonkey 1.1 is here!

    Chris Thomas wrote:
    > TOM7601 wrote:
    >> Robert Kaiser wrote:
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> SeaMonkey 1.1 is now available. Powered by the same engine as Firefox
    >>> 2 and the upcoming Thunderbird 2, SeaMonkey 1.1 includes numerous
    >>> enhancements including more visible security indicators in the
    >>> browser and enhanced phishing detection for e-mail, a new tagging
    >>> system for e-mail that supersedes labels, support for multi-line
    >>> tooltips in web pages, and previews images in tab tooltips. Other
    >>> changes include inline spell checking in the browser, an updated
    >>> version of ChatZilla, and a significantly improved startup script on
    >>> Linux. See the release notes for a more complete list of changes.
    >>>
    >>> Full news article:
    >>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seam...tml#2007-01-18
    >>>
    >>> Downloads for all available platforms and languages:
    >>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/releases/
    >>>
    >>> Release notes:
    >>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seam.../seamonkey1.1/
    >>>
    >>> Greetings,
    >>>
    >>> Robert Kaiser
    >>> SeaMonkey Council member

    >>
    >> After installing, I noticed that when I was composing an e-mail, it
    >> would save it as a draft every 5 minutes. I promptly turned it off.
    >>
    >> Is there a reason it's turned on by default?

    >
    > Maybe because the people most likely to need it aren't likely to mess
    > with prefs? A lot of safety features are pointless when off by default
    > since the vast majority of users won't know they exist as options that
    > can be enabled.
    >
    > Chris


    Makes sense...
    --
    Tom - Vista, CA

+ Reply to Thread