SM 1.1 Throbber - Mozilla

This is a discussion on SM 1.1 Throbber - Mozilla ; Atleast the SM Council didn't get rid of that throbber :-) Thanks -- Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon: http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778 Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks...

  1. SM 1.1 Throbber

    Atleast the SM Council didn't get rid of that throbber :-) Thanks

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

  2. Re: SM 1.1 Throbber

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Atleast the SM Council didn't get rid of that throbber :-) Thanks

    Yes Thanks for That! Should be a working one in FF as well. If you
    already didn't know. You wouldn't know by looks what your working in, in
    firefox.

  3. Re: SM 1.1 Throbber

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Atleast the SM Council didn't get rid of that throbber :-) Thanks

    :-D

    Indeed. Gotta love SeaMonkey!

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  4. Re: SM 1.1 Throbber

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Atleast the SM Council didn't get rid of that throbber :-) Thanks
    >>

    > :-D
    >
    > Indeed. Gotta love SeaMonkey!

    I must have missed something, was the throbber in danger?

  5. Re: SM 1.1 Throbber

    Trel Smith wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> Atleast the SM Council didn't get rid of that throbber :-) Thanks
    >>>

    >> :-D
    >>
    >> Indeed. Gotta love SeaMonkey!
    >>

    > I must have missed something, was the throbber in danger?

    yea, you did. In Firefox they disabled the throbber ability. I mean,
    you can't click on it anymore. Some people were able to change the
    throbber so when you clicked on it, it was taken to maybe google, or
    about:config, or something. Now, since it was change the only was you
    could if you used an extension:
    http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...e1844e531b3443

    But the good devs at the SM Council kept it in. Thats another reason
    for sticking with SM :-D

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

  6. Re: SM 1.1 Throbber

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Trel Smith wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:
    >>>>

    >>> :-D
    >>>
    >>> Indeed. Gotta love SeaMonkey!
    >>>

    >> I must have missed something, was the throbber in danger?

    > yea, you did. In Firefox they disabled the throbber ability. I mean,
    > you can't click on it anymore. Some people were able to change the
    > throbber so when you clicked on it, it was taken to maybe google, or
    > about:config, or something. Now, since it was change the only was you
    > could if you used an extension:
    > http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...e1844e531b3443
    >
    > But the good devs at the SM Council kept it in. Thats another reason
    > for sticking with SM :-D

    Yeah, I did not know that, thanks

  7. Re: SM 1.1 Throbber

    Trel Smith wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>> Atleast the SM Council didn't get rid of that throbber :-) Thanks
    >>>

    >> :-D
    >>
    >> Indeed. Gotta love SeaMonkey!
    >>

    > I must have missed something, was the throbber in danger?

    Yes it been killed off and died a nasty death in FireFox and
    Thunderbird. They decided because it was using 10 or so bytes of extra
    code there wasn't any point in having it. We have Saner heads on our
    team so far.

  8. Re: SM 1.1 Throbber

    On 1/19/2007 1:36 PM PT, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    >> I must have missed something, was the throbber in danger?

    > Yes it been killed off and died a nasty death in FireFox and
    > Thunderbird. They decided because it was using 10 or so bytes of extra
    > code there wasn't any point in having it. We have Saner heads on our
    > team so far.

    Then, how are users supposed to know that the program is still
    working/processing/downloading?
    --
    Phillip Pi
    Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst

  9. Re: SM 1.1 Throbber

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > Yes it been killed off and died a nasty death in FireFox and
    > Thunderbird. They decided because it was using 10 or so bytes of extra
    > code there wasn't any point in having it.

    and the extension to put it back is far bigger than those 10 bytes.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

  10. Re: SM 1.1 Throbber

    Phillip Pi wrote:
    > On 1/19/2007 1:36 PM PT, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >
    >>> I must have missed something, was the throbber in danger?

    >> Yes it been killed off and died a nasty death in FireFox and
    >> Thunderbird. They decided because it was using 10 or so bytes of extra
    >> code there wasn't any point in having it. We have Saner heads on our
    >> team so far.

    > Then, how are users supposed to know that the program is still
    > working/processing/downloading?

    I think you've got it wrong. They haven't removed the throbber, but
    removed a function of it. Click on the SM throbber and see what it
    does. Its that part that they removed.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

  11. Re: SM 1.1 Throbber

    On 1/19/2007 2:46 PM PT, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> Yes it been killed off and died a nasty death in FireFox and
    >>> Thunderbird. They decided because it was using 10 or so bytes of
    >>> extra code there wasn't any point in having it. We have Saner heads
    >>> on our team so far.

    >> Then, how are users supposed to know that the program is still
    >> working/processing/downloading?

    > I think you've got it wrong. They haven't removed the throbber, but
    > removed a function of it. Click on the SM throbber and see what it
    > does. Its that part that they removed.

    Oh!! OK, my bad.
    --
    Phillip Pi
    Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
    ISP/Symantec Online Services, Consumer Business Unit
    Symantec Corporation
    www.symantec.com
    Email: phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)
    Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
    expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
    views of my employer. Thank you.

  12. Re: SM 1.1 Throbber

    Phillip Pi wrote:
    > On 1/19/2007 1:36 PM PT, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >
    >>> I must have missed something, was the throbber in danger?

    >> Yes it been killed off and died a nasty death in FireFox and
    >> Thunderbird. They decided because it was using 10 or so bytes of extra
    >> code there wasn't any point in having it. We have Saner heads on our
    >> team so far.

    > Then, how are users supposed to know that the program is still
    > working/processing/downloading?

    At least on Mac platform they have very small easily overlooked icon
    that looks like clock minute markers That appear to wind. They are Grey
    and very pale and unless your looking at it you won't see it winding.

  13. Re: SM 1.1 Throbber

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Phillip Pi wrote:

    >>> Yes it been killed off and died a nasty death in FireFox and
    >>> Thunderbird. They decided because it was using 10 or so bytes of
    >>> extra code there wasn't any point in having it. We have Saner heads
    >>> on our team so far.

    >> Then, how are users supposed to know that the program is still
    >> working/processing/downloading?

    > I think you've got it wrong. They haven't removed the throbber, but
    > removed a function of it. Click on the SM throbber and see what it
    > does. Its that part that they removed.

    No go look at Firefox or Thunderbird. There is "no" throbber period.
    just a little winder icon that so gray and so faint unless you are
    actually looking directly at it, you don't notice it.

  14. Re: SM 1.1 Throbber

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >> Yes it been killed off and died a nasty death in FireFox and
    >> Thunderbird. They decided because it was using 10 or so bytes of extra
    >> code there wasn't any point in having it.

    > and the extension to put it back is far bigger than those 10 bytes.

    Yep what was the point of killing it to begin with. ;-)

  15. Re: SM 1.1 Throbber

    _Phillip Pi_ spoke thusly on 19/01/2007 5:06 PM:
    > On 1/19/2007 1:36 PM PT, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >
    >>> I must have missed something, was the throbber in danger?

    >> Yes it been killed off and died a nasty death in FireFox and
    >> Thunderbird. They decided because it was using 10 or so bytes of extra
    >> code there wasn't any point in having it. We have Saner heads on our
    >> team so far.

    > Then, how are users supposed to know that the program is still
    > working/processing/downloading?

    The throbber is still there. It just doesn't link anywhere, anymore.
    See

    Notice how there's no mention of "10 or so bytes". Phillip assumed that.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  16. Re: SM 1.1 Throbber

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Phillip Pi_ spoke thusly on 19/01/2007 5:06 PM:

    >>> Yes it been killed off and died a nasty death in FireFox and
    >>> Thunderbird. They decided because it was using 10 or so bytes of
    >>> extra code there wasn't any point in having it. We have Saner heads
    >>> on our team so far.

    >> Then, how are users supposed to know that the program is still
    >> working/processing/downloading?

    > The throbber is still there. It just doesn't link anywhere, anymore.
    > See
    >

    > Notice how there's no mention of "10 or so bytes". Phillip assumed that.

    Not in FF2 or even TB 1.5.

    you the small pale Grey little winder object that winds around and
    around like marks on a clock to show an indication things are working.