Best Security: Latest Seamonkey, Opera, or IE? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Best Security: Latest Seamonkey, Opera, or IE? - Mozilla ; I have been using Mozilla and Opera because I like how much more customizable they are compared to IE. Which of the three is the most secure?...

  1. Best Security: Latest Seamonkey, Opera, or IE?

    I have been using Mozilla and Opera because I like how much more
    customizable they are compared to IE. Which of the three is the most secure?

  2. Re: Best Security: Latest Seamonkey, Opera, or IE?

    user@domain.invalid wrote:
    > I have been using Mozilla and Opera because I like how much more
    > customizable they are compared to IE. Which of the three is the most
    > secure?

    Just my opinion but:

    Mozilla browsers - Opera (on about the same level)

    IE7 (just slightly below that)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  3. Re: Best Security: Latest Seamonkey, Opera, or IE?

    user@domain.invalid schrieb:
    > I have been using Mozilla and Opera because I like how much more
    > customizable they are compared to IE. Which of the three is the most
    > secure?

    Of course I'm biased as a SeaMonkey Council member - but I'd say that
    probably latest SeaMonkey is the best choice, and that's because the
    source code is open to anyone. That in turn means that every exploitable
    security bug that gets reported has be be fixed very fast (and that's
    what usually happens) just because anyone could spot the problem in the
    source code. Additionally, anyone interested can see how exactly we are
    fixing things, because the code changes are viewable by anyone as well.

    Opera is usually good at providing security fixes as well, I'm also told
    they are reasonably fast - unfortunately one has to trust them alone on
    those fixes and not even someone who understands the code can openly
    view the changes and fixes. OTOH, as a company they employ coders who
    can have a fast response time because working on that browser is their
    day job. The SeaMonkey team doesn't have that - though most security
    issues are in Core code, most of which is developed and maintained by
    programmers payed by Mozilla Corporation, who also work on that code as
    their day job - so we are probably almost on par with them there, I guess.

    IE is known to be a bit slow on providing security fixes, sometimes it
    reportedly takes months for them to fix even grave security leaks, which
    even led to a few widespread worm attacks when they exploited known but
    unfixed IE security holes. Microsoft loves to tell the story of how much
    they have improved that, also with IE7, but I think the community is not
    ready to fully believe them. They often made similar promises in the
    past and couldn't hold them.

    To summarize, I'd see SeaMonkey slightly in front of Opera there, with
    both having a big lead against IE in this regard.

    Robert Kaiser

  4. Re: Best Security: Latest Seamonkey, Opera, or IE?

    Robert Kaiser wrote:
    > user@domain.invalid schrieb:
    >> I have been using Mozilla and Opera because I like how much more
    >> customizable they are compared to IE. Which of the three is the most
    >> secure?

    > Of course I'm biased as a SeaMonkey Council member - but I'd say that
    > probably latest SeaMonkey is the best choice, and that's because the
    > source code is open to anyone. That in turn means that every exploitable
    > security bug that gets reported has be be fixed very fast (and that's
    > what usually happens) just because anyone could spot the problem in the
    > source code. Additionally, anyone interested can see how exactly we are
    > fixing things, because the code changes are viewable by anyone as well.
    >
    > Opera is usually good at providing security fixes as well, I'm also told
    > they are reasonably fast - unfortunately one has to trust them alone on
    > those fixes and not even someone who understands the code can openly
    > view the changes and fixes. OTOH, as a company they employ coders who
    > can have a fast response time because working on that browser is their
    > day job. The SeaMonkey team doesn't have that - though most security
    > issues are in Core code, most of which is developed and maintained by
    > programmers payed by Mozilla Corporation, who also work on that code as
    > their day job - so we are probably almost on par with them there, I guess.
    >
    > IE is known to be a bit slow on providing security fixes, sometimes it
    > reportedly takes months for them to fix even grave security leaks, which
    > even led to a few widespread worm attacks when they exploited known but
    > unfixed IE security holes. Microsoft loves to tell the story of how much
    > they have improved that, also with IE7, but I think the community is not
    > ready to fully believe them. They often made similar promises in the
    > past and couldn't hold them.
    >
    > To summarize, I'd see SeaMonkey slightly in front of Opera there, with
    > both having a big lead against IE in this regard.
    >
    > Robert Kaiser

    I just want to add, because of how integrated IE is into Windows, a
    problem affecting IE can very easily spread to the rest of the OS. So
    while IE and SM or Opera all might have an issue that's relatively minor
    to the browser, the IE one could be more sever if it can affect the OS
    as well.

  5. Re: Best Security: Latest Seamonkey, Opera, or IE?

    user@domain.invalid wrote:
    > I have been using Mozilla and Opera because I like how much more
    > customizable they are compared to IE. Which of the three is the most secure?

    You can check here:

    For Seamonkey:
    http://secunia.com/vendor/18/
    then
    http://secunia.com/product/9126/
    then
    http://secunia.com/product/9126/?task=statistics

    For Opera:
    http://secunia.com/product/9126/?task=statistics
    then
    http://secunia.com/product/10615/
    then
    http://secunia.com/product/10615/?task=statistics

    For IE:
    http://secunia.com/vendor/1/
    then
    http://secunia.com/product/12366/ [IE 7]
    http://secunia.com/product/12366/?task=statistics [IE 7]
    http://secunia.com/product/11/ [IE 6]
    http://secunia.com/product/11/?task=statistics [IE 6]

    Be sure to scroll down the statistics pages - you'll find pie charts for
    each.

  6. Re: Best Security: Latest Seamonkey, Opera, or IE?

    On approximately 1/17/2007 11:37 AM, came the following characters from
    the keyboard of NoOp:
    > user@domain.invalid wrote:
    >> I have been using Mozilla and Opera because I like how much more
    >> customizable they are compared to IE. Which of the three is the most secure?

    > You can check here:
    >
    > For Seamonkey:
    > http://secunia.com/vendor/18/
    > then
    > http://secunia.com/product/9126/
    > then
    > http://secunia.com/product/9126/?task=statistics
    >
    > For Opera:
    > http://secunia.com/product/9126/?task=statistics
    > then
    > http://secunia.com/product/10615/
    > then
    > http://secunia.com/product/10615/?task=statistics
    >
    > For IE:
    > http://secunia.com/vendor/1/
    > then
    > http://secunia.com/product/12366/ [IE 7]
    > http://secunia.com/product/12366/?task=statistics [IE 7]
    > http://secunia.com/product/11/ [IE 6]
    > http://secunia.com/product/11/?task=statistics [IE 6]
    >
    > Be sure to scroll down the statistics pages - you'll find pie charts for
    > each.

    Interesting statistics. There isn't enough history to really draw
    conclusions about SeaMonkey, Opera, or IE7. Yet. Watch these pages for
    6 months, and see what happens.

    --
    Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/
    ===========================

  7. Re: Best Security: Latest Seamonkey, Opera, or IE?

    NoOp wrote:
    >For Seamonkey: . . .
    >For Opera: . . .
    >For IE:
    >http://secunia.com/product/12366/?task=statistics [IE 7]
    >http://secunia.com/product/11/?task=statistics [IE 6]
    >
    >Be sure to scroll down the statistics pages
    > - you'll find pie charts for each.

    Of course, since the IE data has been filtered by M$
    (whose main security model is *Security thru obscurity*),
    all the deficiences M$ knows about don't make it into the reports
    --so you must recognize that when viewing M$ stats
    you are looking thru rose-colored glasses.

  8. Re: Best Security: Latest Seamonkey, Opera, or IE?

    Robert Kaiser wrote:
    > IE is known to be a bit slow on providing security fixes, sometimes it
    > reportedly takes months

    or years

    > for them to fix even grave security leaks, which
    > even led to a few widespread worm attacks when they exploited known but
    > unfixed IE security holes.

    Still using IE 6 -- for 284 days last year you were in big crapola:

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. Thanks

  9. Re: Best Security: Latest Seamonkey, Opera, or IE?

    user@domain.invalid wrote:
    > I have been using Mozilla and Opera because I like how much more
    > customizable they are compared to IE. Which of the three is the most
    > secure?

    You're looking for An Absolute... that's impossible.

+ Reply to Thread