Finally moved over - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Finally moved over - Mozilla ; OK It's taken the best part of a week, but I've moved all of the important stuff over to a new machine so I can wipe the old one and rebuild that. The new machine has the latest Seamonkey while ...

  1. Finally moved over

    OK It's taken the best part of a week, but I've moved all of the
    important stuff over to a new machine so I can wipe the old one and
    rebuild that.

    The new machine has the latest Seamonkey while the old one was still on
    Moz, and I've managed to move 2Gb of eMail archive and can still access
    and search.

    The problem I have is that I seem to have managed to break things up
    while moving them and now have a bit of a messy structure of
    directories. Ideally I'd like to rename a couple and move them all into
    my 'user' directory which has nothing to do with the 'documents and
    settings' crap.

    Can someone point me to a way to set up my 'profile' and sub-directories
    in a predefined location so I can tidy this lot up. I need to dump some
    of the duplicate files so I'd like to move what I need rather than
    simply renaming things.

  2. Re: Finally moved over

    On 10/15/2006 03:03 AM, Lester Caine wrote:
    > OK It's taken the best part of a week, but I've moved all of the
    > important stuff over to a new machine so I can wipe the old one and
    > rebuild that.
    >
    > The new machine has the latest Seamonkey while the old one was still on
    > Moz, and I've managed to move 2Gb of eMail archive and can still access
    > and search.
    >
    > The problem I have is that I seem to have managed to break things up
    > while moving them and now have a bit of a messy structure of
    > directories. Ideally I'd like to rename a couple and move them all into
    > my 'user' directory which has nothing to do with the 'documents and
    > settings' crap.
    >
    > Can someone point me to a way to set up my 'profile' and sub-directories
    > in a predefined location so I can tidy this lot up. I need to dump some
    > of the duplicate files so I'd like to move what I need rather than
    > simply renaming things.

    Using a command prompt, start Seamonkey's profile manager:
    Start->Run->"seamonkey -p"

    Create a new profile. When you do so, you should be given the
    opportunity to say where you want the new profile to be located. Finish
    creating the profile and close SM.

    After you've created the new profile, you'll have to do the grunt-work
    of migrating your mail over:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Category:Migration_%28mail%29

    Seamonkey supports placing mail folders within mail folders. I would
    create a new custom mail folder called "import" and within that folder,
    I'd create another folder called "here"; then I'd close SM.

    With SM closed, I'd copy all of the old mail folder files into the
    import.sbd directory. When SM is reopened, I'd have to move the messages
    to their final locations within SM.

    Good luck.

    --
    paduille.4059.mumia.w@earthlink.net

  3. Re: Finally moved over

    Once upon a time *Mumia W. (using mozilla)* wrote:
    > On 10/15/2006 03:03 AM, Lester Caine wrote:
    >> OK It's taken the best part of a week, but I've moved all of the
    >> important stuff over to a new machine so I can wipe the old one and
    >> rebuild that.
    >>
    >> The new machine has the latest Seamonkey while the old one was still on
    >> Moz, and I've managed to move 2Gb of eMail archive and can still access
    >> and search.
    >>
    >> The problem I have is that I seem to have managed to break things up
    >> while moving them and now have a bit of a messy structure of
    >> directories. Ideally I'd like to rename a couple and move them all into
    >> my 'user' directory which has nothing to do with the 'documents and
    >> settings' crap.
    >>
    >> Can someone point me to a way to set up my 'profile' and sub-directories
    >> in a predefined location so I can tidy this lot up. I need to dump some
    >> of the duplicate files so I'd like to move what I need rather than
    >> simply renaming things.

    > Using a command prompt, start Seamonkey's profile manager:
    > Start->Run->"seamonkey -p"

    Why not just go Start > Programs > SeaMonkey > Profile Manager

    An other option is when SM is launched, go to Tools > Switch Profiles >
    Manage Profiles

    --
    /Arne

  4. Re: Finally moved over

    Arne wrote:
    > Once upon a time *Mumia W. (using mozilla)* wrote:
    >> On 10/15/2006 03:03 AM, Lester Caine wrote:
    >>> OK It's taken the best part of a week, but I've moved all of the
    >>> important stuff over to a new machine so I can wipe the old one and
    >>> rebuild that.
    >>>
    >>> The new machine has the latest Seamonkey while the old one was still on
    >>> Moz, and I've managed to move 2Gb of eMail archive and can still access
    >>> and search.
    >>>
    >>> The problem I have is that I seem to have managed to break things up
    >>> while moving them and now have a bit of a messy structure of
    >>> directories. Ideally I'd like to rename a couple and move them all into
    >>> my 'user' directory which has nothing to do with the 'documents and
    >>> settings' crap.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone point me to a way to set up my 'profile' and sub-directories
    >>> in a predefined location so I can tidy this lot up. I need to dump some
    >>> of the duplicate files so I'd like to move what I need rather than
    >>> simply renaming things.

    >> Using a command prompt, start Seamonkey's profile manager:
    >> Start->Run->"seamonkey -p"

    > Why not just go Start > Programs > SeaMonkey > Profile Manager
    >
    > An other option is when SM is launched, go to Tools > Switch Profiles >
    > Manage Profiles

    If you are used to using the Run dialog, its probably quicker,
    particularly if you have a lot of programs installed.

    I use the latter trick all the time on OSX, where otherwise, the Profile
    Manager can only be accessed via Terminal.

    Lee

    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  5. Re: Finally moved over

    Once upon a time *Leonidas Jones* wrote:
    > Arne wrote:

    >>> Using a command prompt, start Seamonkey's profile manager:
    >>> Start->Run->"seamonkey -p"

    >> Why not just go Start > Programs > SeaMonkey > Profile Manager
    >>
    >> An other option is when SM is launched, go to Tools > Switch Profiles >
    >> Manage Profiles
    >>

    > If you are used to using the Run dialog, its probably quicker,
    > particularly if you have a lot of programs installed.
    >
    > I use the latter trick all the time on OSX, where otherwise, the Profile
    > Manager can only be accessed via Terminal.

    Yes, I understand that. But considering the avarage users are not used
    to command prompts or setting preferences with about:config, where they
    have to know what (and how) to type commands. We do want them and
    "newbees" to use SM as well, don't we

    They expect to find the right button and place for sutch things in the
    browsers menu bar or the computers Start menu. And when it is there,
    it's preferable in my opinion to just point them to that direction.

    --
    /Arne

  6. Re: Finally moved over

    Mumia W. (using mozilla) wrote:

    > After you've created the new profile, you'll have to do the grunt-work
    > of migrating your mail over:
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Category:Migration_%28mail%29
    >
    > Seamonkey supports placing mail folders within mail folders. I would
    > create a new custom mail folder called "import" and within that folder,
    > I'd create another folder called "here"; then I'd close SM.
    >
    > With SM closed, I'd copy all of the old mail folder files into the
    > import.sbd directory. When SM is reopened, I'd have to move the messages
    > to their final locations within SM.

    That was the kick I needed - TA

    As someone who never switched *TO* IE, all the changes to Netscape over
    the years have just happened without me bothering to follow them
    I need to do a bit of catching up.

    --
    Lester Caine - G8HFL
    -----------------------------

  7. Re: Finally moved over

    Lester Caine wrote:
    > Mumia W. (using mozilla) wrote:
    >
    >> After you've created the new profile, you'll have to do the grunt-work
    >> of migrating your mail over:
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Category:Migration_%28mail%29
    >>
    >> Seamonkey supports placing mail folders within mail folders. I would
    >> create a new custom mail folder called "import" and within that
    >> folder, I'd create another folder called "here"; then I'd close SM.
    >>
    >> With SM closed, I'd copy all of the old mail folder files into the
    >> import.sbd directory. When SM is reopened, I'd have to move the
    >> messages to their final locations within SM.

    > That was the kick I needed - TA
    >
    > As someone who never switched *TO* IE, all the changes to Netscape over
    > the years have just happened without me bothering to follow them
    > I need to do a bit of catching up.

    If you have just moved all your e-mail, and then moved them into
    different folders, it might be worthwhile, in Seamonkey, going
    File|Compact Folders to re-claim all the, now, un-used space in your
    mail folders.

    Daniel

  8. Re: Finally moved over

    Daniel wrote:
    > Lester Caine wrote:
    >> Mumia W. (using mozilla) wrote:
    >>
    >>> After you've created the new profile, you'll have to do the
    >>> grunt-work of migrating your mail over:
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Category:Migration_%28mail%29
    >>>
    >>> Seamonkey supports placing mail folders within mail folders. I would
    >>> create a new custom mail folder called "import" and within that
    >>> folder, I'd create another folder called "here"; then I'd close SM.
    >>>
    >>> With SM closed, I'd copy all of the old mail folder files into the
    >>> import.sbd directory. When SM is reopened, I'd have to move the
    >>> messages to their final locations within SM.

    >> That was the kick I needed - TA
    >>
    >> As someone who never switched *TO* IE, all the changes to Netscape
    >> over the years have just happened without me bothering to follow them
    >> I need to do a bit of catching up.

    > If you have just moved all your e-mail, and then moved them into
    > different folders, it might be worthwhile, in Seamonkey, going
    > File|Compact Folders to re-claim all the, now, un-used space in your
    > mail folders.

    That need at least has been around for a while
    Junk grows big - fast so I need to hit that often

    --
    Lester Caine - G8HFL
    -----------------------------
    Model Engineers Digital Workshop -
    http://home.lsces.co.uk/ModelEngineersDigitalWorkshop/
    Treasurer - Firebird Foundation Inc. - http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php

  9. Re: Finally moved over

    Lester Caine wrote:
    > Daniel wrote:
    >> Lester Caine wrote:
    >> If you have just moved all your e-mail, and then moved them into
    >> different folders, it might be worthwhile, in Seamonkey, going
    >> File|Compact Folders to re-claim all the, now, un-used space in your
    >> mail folders.

    > That need at least has been around for a while
    > Junk grows big - fast so I need to hit that often

    Set a lower threshhold for auto-compacting in: Edit - Preferences -
    Mail & Newsgroups - Offline & Disk Space. You'll get bugged by pop-ups
    periodically but at least compacting won't need to rely on your
    remembering to do it! ;-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net