Windows Media Player in Seamonkey - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Windows Media Player in Seamonkey - Mozilla ; I have both Firefox and Seamonkey running on my computer using WindowsXP SP2. Firefox plays Windows Media Files without a problem but Seamonkey doesn't. For example, on cnn.com if I click to play a video in Seamonkey, the Windows Media ...

  1. Windows Media Player in Seamonkey

    I have both Firefox and Seamonkey running on my computer using WindowsXP
    SP2. Firefox plays Windows Media Files without a problem but Seamonkey
    doesn't. For example, on cnn.com if I click to play a video in
    Seamonkey, the Windows Media logo is on the screen, but nothing happens.
    Both browsers are the latest versions.

    The plug-ins in the Plugins folder are the same for both browsers. I
    don't know if this is a recent problem or a longstanding problem because
    I don't use Seamonkey under ordinary circumstances. I know that there
    was a recent thread about a similar problem but I didn't find anything
    there that helped. I do have the Windows Media registry patch installed
    as far as I know.

    Virginia

  2. Re: Windows Media Player in Seamonkey

    Virginia wrote:
    > I have both Firefox and Seamonkey running on my computer using WindowsXP
    > SP2. Firefox plays Windows Media Files without a problem but Seamonkey
    > doesn't. For example, on cnn.com if I click to play a video in
    > Seamonkey, the Windows Media logo is on the screen, but nothing happens.
    > Both browsers are the latest versions.
    >
    > The plug-ins in the Plugins folder are the same for both browsers. I
    > don't know if this is a recent problem or a longstanding problem because
    > I don't use Seamonkey under ordinary circumstances. I know that there
    > was a recent thread about a similar problem but I didn't find anything
    > there that helped. I do have the Windows Media registry patch installed
    > as far as I know.
    >
    > Virginia

    You may want to try the registry patch again. If you installed sometime
    ago for FF it may not have had SeaMonkey on the shim list ..it does now
    and it may just do the trick for your copy of SM.

    --
    Brian

    .. http://www.mozilla.org | http://ilias.ca/mozilla/ | http://ilias.ca/

    .. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

    .. Internet "Help" Desk: http://www.deadtroll.com/video/helldeskcable.html

  3. Re: Windows Media Player in Seamonkey

    http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/resources/wmp9.reg
    http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP

    --
    Peter

    Tagline + Joke = An Annoying Feature Of The Message

  4. Re: Windows Media Player in Seamonkey

    Peter Boerhof wrote:

    >> You may want to try the registry patch again. If you installed
    >> sometime ago for FF it may not have had SeaMonkey on the shim list
    >> ..it does now and it may just do the trick for your copy of SM.
    >>

    > http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/resources/wmp9.reg
    > http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP

    Does clicking one of those links install the registry patch? If so, then
    I have it installed and it doesn't help. I installed it originally when
    I had WMP 9 but don't remember how I did it it. If just clicking doesn't
    install it, then I don't have the latest patch installed. Thanks for the
    reply.

    Virginia

  5. Re: Windows Media Player in Seamonkey

    Virginia wrote:
    > Peter Boerhof wrote:
    >
    >>> You may want to try the registry patch again. If you installed
    >>> sometime ago for FF it may not have had SeaMonkey on the shim list
    >>> ..it does now and it may just do the trick for your copy of SM.
    >>>

    >> http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/resources/wmp9.reg
    >> http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP

    > Does clicking one of those links install the registry patch? If so, then
    > I have it installed and it doesn't help. I installed it originally when
    > I had WMP 9 but don't remember how I did it it. If just clicking doesn't
    > install it, then I don't have the latest patch installed. Thanks for the
    > reply.
    >
    > Virginia

    Just clicking on it does *not* install it ..you need to right click on
    the first link and choose "save target as" and save the .reg file to
    your hard drive and click on it from there ...*that* will install it.

    --
    Brian

    .. http://www.mozilla.org | http://ilias.ca/mozilla/ | http://ilias.ca/

    .. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

    .. Internet "Help" Desk: http://www.deadtroll.com/video/helldeskcable.html

  6. Re: Windows Media Player in Seamonkey

    Brian J. Graham wrote:

    >>> http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/resources/wmp9.reg
    >>> http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP

    >> Does clicking one of those links install the registry patch? If so, then
    >> I have it installed and it doesn't help. I installed it originally
    >> when I had WMP 9 but don't remember how I did it it. If just clicking
    >> doesn't install it, then I don't have the latest patch installed.
    >> Thanks for the reply.
    >>
    >> Virginia

    > Just clicking on it does *not* install it ..you need to right click on
    > the first link and choose "save target as" and save the .reg file to
    > your hard drive and click on it from there ...*that* will install it.

    That did it! Thanks to you and Peter for the help. If this comes up
    again maybe I'll remember what to do.

    Virginia

+ Reply to Thread