SM 1.0.5 glitch? Inbox count wrong - Mozilla

This is a discussion on SM 1.0.5 glitch? Inbox count wrong - Mozilla ; In SM 1.0.5's email client, the message count for my Inbox is wrong ... e.g., I have like 50 Inbox emails and it shows a Total of only 1 right now ... this happens intermittently and corrects itself for a ...

  1. SM 1.0.5 glitch? Inbox count wrong

    In SM 1.0.5's email client, the message count for my Inbox is wrong ...
    e.g., I have like 50 Inbox emails and it shows a Total of only 1 right
    now ... this happens intermittently and corrects itself for a while if I
    shut down and restart SM.

    Anyone else having this problem? and a fix?

    Thnx.

    - bruck

  2. Re: SM 1.0.5 glitch? Inbox count wrong

    Bruck wrote:
    > In SM 1.0.5's email client, the message count for my Inbox is wrong ...
    > e.g., I have like 50 Inbox emails and it shows a Total of only 1 right
    > now ... this happens intermittently and corrects itself for a while if I
    > shut down and restart SM.
    >
    > Anyone else having this problem? and a fix?
    >
    > Thnx.
    >
    > - bruck

    First Compact the Folders under File. Does that work?

    If not, close SM, and using your file manager locate the mail section
    within the SM profile. Inside you will find some *.msf files. Once
    found, delete them. Restart SM. Do things work now?

    to find your SM profile you can read this:
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seam...files_profiles

    but if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx

    --
    Pic of the Day: New Campbell's Soup:
    http://img85.imageshack.us/my.php?im...mofspamnx1.jpg

  3. Re: SM 1.0.5 glitch? Inbox count wrong

    Thanks, gwtc ... compacting the folder(s) didn't do the trick (I do this
    intermittently anyhow) ... but deleting the .msf files seemed to bring
    back the correct Inbox count, at least for now. I'll see if it holds....
    I appreciate the help!
    - bruck

  4. Re: SM 1.0.5 glitch? Inbox count wrong

    _Bruck_ spoke thusly on 18/09/2006 3:22 PM:
    > In SM 1.0.5's email client, the message count for my Inbox is wrong ...
    > e.g., I have like 50 Inbox emails and it shows a Total of only 1 right
    > now ... this happens intermittently and corrects itself for a while if I
    > shut down and restart SM.

    Did this happen soon after you compacted the Inbox folder?
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  5. Re: SM 1.0.5 glitch? Inbox count wrong

    > Did this happen soon after you compacted the Inbox folder?

    No.

    In fact, the problem is back, even after I followed the other suggestion
    in this thread to delete the *.msf files and restart SM. That worked
    for a while, but I just booted up again and the Inbox document count is
    now blank.

    So neither compacting the Inbox folder, nor deleting the *.msf files,
    fixed the problem.

    Harumph.

    Any other suggestions...?

  6. Re: SM 1.0.5 glitch? Inbox count wrong

    On 19.09.2006 20:11 Bruck spoke thusly:

    >> Did this happen soon after you compacted the Inbox folder?

    > No.
    >
    > In fact, the problem is back, even after I followed the other suggestion
    > in this thread to delete the *.msf files and restart SM. That worked
    > for a while, but I just booted up again and the Inbox document count is
    > now blank.
    >
    > So neither compacting the Inbox folder, nor deleting the *.msf files,
    > fixed the problem.
    >
    > Harumph.
    >
    > Any other suggestions...?

    Not another suggestion, but I have had a similar problem since I updated
    to 1.05 - not with Inbox, but with this newsgroup. (subscribed via
    news.mozilla.org) Message count shows more messages as unread than
    there are, and as soon as I access the group number of unread drops.

  7. Re: SM 1.0.5 glitch? Inbox count wrong

    On 09/20/2006 07:35 AM, Chris Garriss wrote:
    > On 19.09.2006 20:11 Bruck spoke thusly:
    >> [...]
    >> Any other suggestions...?

    > Not another suggestion, but I have had a similar problem since I updated
    > to 1.05 - not with Inbox, but with this newsgroup. (subscribed via
    > news.mozilla.org) Message count shows more messages as unread than
    > there are, and as soon as I access the group number of unread drops.

    That happens all the time. It's a longstanding bug. I just live with it.

    --
    paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net

  8. Re: SM 1.0.5 glitch? Inbox count wrong

    On 09/20/06 05:35, Chris Garriss wrote:
    > On 19.09.2006 20:11 Bruck spoke thusly:
    >
    >>> Did this happen soon after you compacted the Inbox folder?

    >> No.
    >>
    >> In fact, the problem is back, even after I followed the other suggestion
    >> in this thread to delete the *.msf files and restart SM. That worked
    >> for a while, but I just booted up again and the Inbox document count is
    >> now blank.
    >>
    >> So neither compacting the Inbox folder, nor deleting the *.msf files,
    >> fixed the problem.
    >>
    >> Harumph.
    >>
    >> Any other suggestions...?

    > Not another suggestion, but I have had a similar problem since I updated
    > to 1.05 - not with Inbox, but with this newsgroup. (subscribed via
    > news.mozilla.org) Message count shows more messages as unread than
    > there are, and as soon as I access the group number of unread drops.

    Is it possible that you have some threads that are killed/ignored?
    I'm not sure, but based on what I see here, I think these are not
    processed until you view the group, so until that point, these extra
    messages would appear in the count?

    Perhaps someone who knows can confirm/deny this?

  9. Re: SM 1.0.5 glitch? Inbox count wrong

    On 20.09.2006 08:53 Mumia W. (using mozilla) spoke thusly:

    > On 09/20/2006 07:35 AM, Chris Garriss wrote:
    >> On 19.09.2006 20:11 Bruck spoke thusly:
    >>> [...]
    >>> Any other suggestions...?

    >> Not another suggestion, but I have had a similar problem since I updated
    >> to 1.05 - not with Inbox, but with this newsgroup. (subscribed via
    >> news.mozilla.org) Message count shows more messages as unread than
    >> there are, and as soon as I access the group number of unread drops.

    > That happens all the time. It's a longstanding bug. I just live with it.

    Just started for me with 1.05. No threads killed or ignored.

  10. Re: SM 1.0.5 glitch? Inbox count wrong

    On approximately 9/20/2006 7:51 AM, came the following characters from
    the keyboard of Chris Garriss:
    > On 20.09.2006 08:53 Mumia W. (using mozilla) spoke thusly:
    >
    >> On 09/20/2006 07:35 AM, Chris Garriss wrote:
    >>> On 19.09.2006 20:11 Bruck spoke thusly:
    >>> Not another suggestion, but I have had a similar problem since I updated
    >>> to 1.05 - not with Inbox, but with this newsgroup. (subscribed via
    >>> news.mozilla.org) Message count shows more messages as unread than
    >>> there are, and as soon as I access the group number of unread drops.

    >> That happens all the time. It's a longstanding bug. I just live with it.
    >>

    > Just started for me with 1.05. No threads killed or ignored.

    Yep, I've seen it for years. Often time it can be cured. Read all the
    messages you care about, and then do a Message / Mark / All Read.

    If that doesn't cure it, read all the messages you care about, delete
    the corresponding .msf file, reenter the group (downloading all the
    headers), and do the Message / Mark / All Read again. That cures it in
    all cases I've encountered, but you lose message labels, if any.

    --
    Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/
    ===========================

  11. SM 1.0.5 inbox count wrong ... and email sorts wrong

    In a different thread I reported that my SM 1.0.5 Inbox count goes blank.

    Well, a suggested "fix" -- to delete the .msf files -- held for a few
    minutes, but then the Inbox count again blanks out again after a short
    time.

    Also, I'm seeing that with SM 1.0.5, every time I start the email
    client, my Inbox emails are sorted by increasing date rather than
    decreasing date, which I use as the default ... and which worked great
    in all previous SM versions.

    So these seem to be two bugs in 1.0.5 that suddenly showed up.

    Again, anyone else having these problems?

    Dell Dimension 8300, WinXP Pro, 1GB RAM, previously ran Netscape &
    Mozilla & all previous releases of SM with no such problems...

    - bruck

+ Reply to Thread