Extensions - Stock Ticker - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Extensions - Stock Ticker - Mozilla ; What are "extensions" anyway. Are they plugins? If not... What differentiates the following? A Plugin? An Extension? I installed "Stock Ticker" and tried to put USO into it. Got the following: Type Error: Components.classes['@mozmonkey.com/stockticker/feed/yahoo;1'] has no properties. Properties? Help.... I ...

  1. Extensions - Stock Ticker

    What are "extensions" anyway. Are they plugins?

    If not...

    What differentiates the following?

    A Plugin?

    An Extension?

    I installed "Stock Ticker" and tried to put USO into it. Got the following:

    Type Error:
    Components.classes['@mozmonkey.com/stockticker/feed/yahoo;1'] has no
    properties.

    Properties? Help.... I sent Jeremy Gillick an E-Mail asking about
    this. Anyone else care to reply?
    He may take quite a while to respond.

    DoctorBill

  2. Re: Extensions - Stock Ticker

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > What are "extensions" anyway. Are they plugins?
    >
    > If not...
    >
    > What differentiates the following?
    >
    > A Plugin?
    >
    > An Extension?
    >
    > I installed "Stock Ticker" and tried to put USO into it. Got the
    > following:
    >
    > Type Error:
    > Components.classes['@mozmonkey.com/stockticker/feed/yahoo;1'] has no
    > properties.
    >
    > Properties? Help.... I sent Jeremy Gillick an E-Mail asking about
    > this. Anyone else care to reply?
    > He may take quite a while to respond.
    >
    > DoctorBill

    A plug in is essentially a 'stand alone' program that works with your
    browser to do something. For example, a video is 'handed off' to the
    plug in that handles that type, the plug in then plays the video.
    If you have multiple plug ins that handle a specific file type you can
    pick and choose among them. Plug ins typically live outside the browser
    in a folder all their own
    Most plug ins come in multi use flavours - One plug in will install
    quite happily on any browser you have, IE, Mozilla, Safari, Icab, Opera,
    etc.

    An extension on the other hand modifies the program internally. It uses
    the programs engine/coding/programming but simply extends its
    capabilities in one form or another. It gets built into the program itself.
    Extensions are typically built for one application and that application
    alone, they are not intended to be shared with other applications*

    *due to the nature of Mozilla products, some extensions can be adapted
    to several Mozilla applications, not just one.

  3. Re: Extensions - Stock Ticker

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > What are "extensions" anyway. Are they plugins?
    >
    > If not...
    >
    > What differentiates the following?
    >
    > A Plugin?
    >
    > An Extension?
    >
    > I installed "Stock Ticker" and tried to put USO into it. Got the
    > following:
    >
    > Type Error:
    > Components.classes['@mozmonkey.com/stockticker/feed/yahoo;1'] has no
    > properties.
    >
    > Properties? Help.... I sent Jeremy Gillick an E-Mail asking about
    > this. Anyone else care to reply?
    > He may take quite a while to respond.
    >
    > DoctorBill

    I don't know if I'm right on this, but lets try.

    Plugins are things that make other programs work within SM. Programs
    such as Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, Acrobat Reader, Shockwave
    Flash, etc.

    Extensions are things that are added to SM/TB/FF/Moz/Net to make the
    program better, to give it more options than it currently has.
    Extensions are things such as Multizilla, TBE, Launchy, etc.

    --
    Maxims for the Internet Age: Speak softly and carry a cellular phone.

  4. Re: Extensions - Stock Ticker

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > What are "extensions" anyway. Are they plugins?
    >
    > If not...
    >
    > What differentiates the following?
    >
    > A Plugin?
    >
    > An Extension?
    >
    > I installed "Stock Ticker" and tried to put USO into it. Got the
    > following:
    >
    > Type Error:
    > Components.classes['@mozmonkey.com/stockticker/feed/yahoo;1'] has no
    > properties.
    >
    > Properties? Help.... I sent Jeremy Gillick an E-Mail asking about
    > this. Anyone else care to reply?
    > He may take quite a while to respond.
    >
    > DoctorBill

    I wish I knew what the hell is going on.....

    I got the original error message post previously, then went to
    http://www.quote.com/qc/stocks/quote...mbols=AMEX:USO
    to try a new quote origin site,
    placed it in the Details Site folder in the slot and got a really long
    error message. Finally gave up and had to "X" out of it.

    After exiting and re-entering SM, the damned thing works!

    Oh well....another case of Technology working w/o the user knowing crap...

    DoctorBill

+ Reply to Thread