Re: executing an image or installer from a CD after clicking on alink (Windows XP) - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: executing an image or installer from a CD after clicking on alink (Windows XP) - Mozilla ; Bob Fleischer wrote: > but the executables (.msi and .exe) > only present the choices "open with" and "save to disk". We would like > to have the option to "execute from the CD" -- is that at all possible ...

  1. Re: executing an image or installer from a CD after clicking on alink (Windows XP)

    Bob Fleischer wrote:
    > but the executables (.msi and .exe)
    > only present the choices "open with" and "save to disk". We would like
    > to have the option to "execute from the CD" -- is that at all possible
    > with SeaMonkey or Firefox? (And if it is possible, can we do it without
    > modifying the user's browser setup?)

    its a security feature that I for one wouldn't give up. SM, FF, Net
    7.x and Net 8.x, all have this. They will not execute these types of
    files.

    --
    Maxims for the Internet Age: In Gates we trust.

  2. Re: executing an image or installer from a CD after clicking on alink (Windows XP)

    gwtc wrote:
    > Bob Fleischer wrote:
    >> but the executables (.msi and .exe) only present the choices "open
    >> with" and "save to disk". We would like to have the option to
    >> "execute from the CD" -- is that at all possible with SeaMonkey or
    >> Firefox? (And if it is possible, can we do it without modifying the
    >> user's browser setup?)
    >>

    > its a security feature that I for one wouldn't give up. SM, FF, Net 7.x
    > and Net 8.x, all have this. They will not execute these types of files.

    Internet Explorer doesn't execute these files either -- unless you click
    "run".

    With the other browsers, you can execute with a two step process (save,
    then launch).

    How much security does the added annoyance give?

    Perhaps we'll go back to only supporting IE for installation.

    --
    Bob Fleischer
    +1.978.692.3000 x316

    Duxbury Systems, Inc.
    270 Littleton Road, Unit 6
    Westford, MA 01886
    United States of America

  3. Re: executing an image or installer from a CD after clicking on alink (Windows XP)

    On 08/01/06 10:38, Bob Fleischer wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Bob Fleischer wrote:
    >>> but the executables (.msi and .exe) only present the choices "open
    >>> with" and "save to disk". We would like to have the option to
    >>> "execute from the CD" -- is that at all possible with SeaMonkey or
    >>> Firefox? (And if it is possible, can we do it without modifying the
    >>> user's browser setup?)
    >>>

    >> its a security feature that I for one wouldn't give up. SM, FF, Net 7.x
    >> and Net 8.x, all have this. They will not execute these types of files.
    >>

    > Internet Explorer doesn't execute these files either -- unless you click
    > "run".
    >
    > With the other browsers, you can execute with a two step process (save,
    > then launch).
    >
    > How much security does the added annoyance give?
    >
    > Perhaps we'll go back to only supporting IE for installation.

    That's one option. Another would be to create your own application
    that is launched, rather than a browser. This way you can control
    what happens when links/buttons are clicked, etc.

  4. Re: executing an image or installer from a CD after clicking on alink (Windows XP)

    Bob Fleischer wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Bob Fleischer wrote:
    >>> but the executables (.msi and .exe) only present the choices "open
    >>> with" and "save to disk". We would like to have the option to
    >>> "execute from the CD" -- is that at all possible with SeaMonkey or
    >>> Firefox? (And if it is possible, can we do it without modifying the
    >>> user's browser setup?)
    >>>

    >> its a security feature that I for one wouldn't give up. SM, FF, Net
    >> 7.x and Net 8.x, all have this. They will not execute these types of
    >> files.
    >>

    > Internet Explorer doesn't execute these files either -- unless you click
    > "run".
    >
    > With the other browsers, you can execute with a two step process (save,
    > then launch).
    >
    > How much security does the added annoyance give?
    >
    > Perhaps we'll go back to only supporting IE for installation.

    How much more security?
    With Mozilla software's handling, it provides a user twice the
    opportunity to 'think it over' prior to running such software. Even then
    people do and dependent on the software, get infected with something.

    Personally, for any file download (regardless of type), I download to
    disk first, then wait a week, update my AV, then check and install/run.
    So even if Mozilla products had the same 'insecure' (imho) feature as
    IE, I wouldnt use it anyway.

    Make it easy, sure. Make it easy for people to get infected with viruses
    or trojans or other malware.

+ Reply to Thread