cannot install SM 1.0.2 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on cannot install SM 1.0.2 - Mozilla ; I installed SM 1.0.2 over SM 1.0.1, clicked on the desktop icon and nothing happens. No crash, no alarm window, very short HD activity. Uninstalled it and returned to SM 1.0.1 and it works perfectly! My OS is Win 2000 ...

  1. cannot install SM 1.0.2

    I installed SM 1.0.2 over SM 1.0.1, clicked on the desktop icon and
    nothing happens.
    No crash, no alarm window, very short HD activity.
    Uninstalled it and returned to SM 1.0.1 and it works perfectly!
    My OS is Win 2000 SP4.
    Anyone else having this problem?
    Horst

  2. Re: cannot install SM 1.0.2

    On 6/11/2006 3:02 AM horst39 created this reply
    > I installed SM 1.0.2 over SM 1.0.1, clicked on the desktop icon and
    > nothing happens.
    > No crash, no alarm window, very short HD activity.
    > Uninstalled it and returned to SM 1.0.1 and it works perfectly!
    > My OS is Win 2000 SP4.
    > Anyone else having this problem?
    > Horst

    Horst,

    Quoting from the Mozilla.org page, Getting Started
    .
    ********************
    If you have a previous version of Mozilla installed

    Before installing a new version of Mozilla, you should uninstall your
    previous version first. If you have a third-party extension installed,
    particularly the spell checker, you should also completely delete your
    Mozilla install directory before making a new install. Do not install
    over an old Mozilla version.

    Following the uninstall instructions in this document should not affect
    your profile data (unless your profile files are in a custom location).
    *********************

    The exception to the above recommendations is when you have a previous
    SeaMonkey version installed and have added themes, extensions, or
    plugins to a previous version of SM, and those additions were installed
    for Global Users. When additions are installed for Global Users they
    are installed in the SeaMonkey Program folder and will be deleted if the
    Program Folder is removed. When additions are installed for a Single
    User they are installed in the User Profile folder. The User Profile
    folder is not touched during the removal of the SeaMonkey program
    add/remove process.

    If you have a previous version of Mozilla anything (not SeaMonkey) then
    allow the Add/Remove function to remove all of Mozilla including the
    program folder, then after installing SM locate your favorite addition
    and perform a new installation of the additions for a Single User.

    For your specific problem with SM 1.0.1 installed and working correctly
    and replace the file you previously downloaded. When the download is
    complete Uninstall SM 1.0.1 and reboot your PC.

    Before installing SM 1.0.2 disconnect from the internet, disable any
    antivirus, firewalls, ad blockers, and any other third party application
    that would detect and stop the installation of a new program.

    Using Windows Explorer navigate to where you downloaded SeaMonkey 1.0.2
    and double click the file to install. If you do not want the full
    package select Custom Install and SM will display a list of components
    you can disable for the installation. Press the Next button and follow
    the remaining prompts.

    Recommendation. Once SeaMonkey 1.0.2 is installed and running close SM
    and open the SM Profile Manager (Start/Programs/SeaMonkey) and make sure
    you are not using the Default Profile. If you only have the Default
    Profile available create a new and unique profile for SM. This is an
    added security measure for all Mozilla based products.

    Michael

    --
    Character is doing the right thing...
    Even when no one is watching...

    A Proud User of SeaMonkey The Suite

  3. Re: cannot install SM 1.0.2

    _horst39_ spoke thusly on 11/06/2006 4:02 AM:

    http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/troubleshooting/#norun
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator