Seamonkey mail vs Thunderbird - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Seamonkey mail vs Thunderbird - Mozilla ; I've used Mozilla for a long time now, but I switched my e-mail to Thunderbird. Now that Seamonkey is out and tested a bit, what would I lose if I decided to switch my mail back to the e-mail portion ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Seamonkey mail vs Thunderbird

  1. Seamonkey mail vs Thunderbird

    I've used Mozilla for a long time now, but I switched my e-mail to
    Thunderbird. Now that Seamonkey is out and tested a bit, what would I
    lose if I decided to switch my mail back to the e-mail portion of
    Seamonkey 1.0.2? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    Thanx!

    Ann

  2. Re: Seamonkey mail vs Thunderbird

    _Ann_ spoke thusly on 06/06/2006 9:28 PM:
    > I've used Mozilla for a long time now, but I switched my e-mail to
    > Thunderbird. Now that Seamonkey is out and tested a bit, what would I
    > lose if I decided to switch my mail back to the e-mail portion of
    > Seamonkey 1.0.2? Any thoughts would be appreciated.


    This page includes Thunderbird in the comparison:
    .

    If you're worried about profile data being lost, that answer is: nothing.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)

  3. Re: Seamonkey mail vs Thunderbird

    Chris Ilias wrote:

    > If you're worried about profile data being lost, that answer is: nothing.


    Hum! You don't exactly lose anything but how do you get all your mail
    back when you have several email accounts? I've found it's easier to
    move from SeaMonkey to Thunderbird (and Firefox). Then you have the
    import option which works quite well.
    libre fan
    --
    Librement avec Mozilla, Camino, OpenOffice.org, Gimp, Linux ... pour
    tous, sur http://libre-fan.apinc.org/ et avec l'association
    Libres-Ailé(e)s: http://libre-zele.info/ ;-)

  4. Re: Seamonkey mail vs Thunderbird

    _libre fan_ spoke thusly on 06/06/2006 11:52 PM:
    > Hum! You don't exactly lose anything but how do you get all your mail
    > back when you have several email accounts?


    http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/profilefaq/#fromFxTb
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)

  5. Re: Seamonkey mail vs Thunderbird

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Ann_ spoke thusly on 06/06/2006 9:28 PM:
    >> I've used Mozilla for a long time now, but I switched my e-mail to
    >> Thunderbird. Now that Seamonkey is out and tested a bit, what would I
    >> lose if I decided to switch my mail back to the e-mail portion of
    >> Seamonkey 1.0.2? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    >
    > This page includes Thunderbird in the comparison:
    > .
    >
    > If you're worried about profile data being lost, that answer is: nothing.


    Thank you for the page. Mainly I'm interested in what specific features
    I amy lose moving to Seamonkey. I've got no issues with profiles,
    backing them up, etc. Right now I'm using the same bookmark file across
    all three (Seamonkey, Mozilla Suite and Firefox), I'd like to eliminate
    the Suite and only run the two. Why the two? I just can't break myself
    away to the Firefox/Thunderbird combo, I enjoy the completeness of the
    Suite (now Seamonkey). Some day I'll make a final decision

    Ann

  6. Re: Seamonkey mail vs Thunderbird

    Ann schrieb:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> This page includes Thunderbird in the comparison:
    >> .

    >
    > Thank you for the page. Mainly I'm interested in what specific features
    > I amy lose moving to Seamonkey. I've got no issues with profiles,
    > backing them up, etc. Right now I'm using the same bookmark file across
    > all three (Seamonkey, Mozilla Suite and Firefox), I'd like to eliminate
    > the Suite and only run the two. Why the two? I just can't break myself
    > away to the Firefox/Thunderbird combo, I enjoy the completeness of the
    > Suite (now Seamonkey). Some day I'll make a final decision


    The big differences can be summarized well to three items: 1) Extension
    Manager / Theme Manager is Firefox/Thunderbid only (for now), 2)
    customizable toolbars (including a quote button) are not available yet
    in SeaMonkey and 3) RSS support is only available in SeaMonkey via
    extensions at the moment.

    Everything else should be basically the same in both Thunderbird and
    SeaMonkey, feature-wise.

    Robert Kaiser

  7. Re: Seamonkey mail vs Thunderbird

    On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 14:22:55 +0200, Robert Kaiser wrote:

    > Ann schrieb:
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>> This page includes Thunderbird in the comparison:
    >>> .

    >>
    >> Thank you for the page. Mainly I'm interested in what specific features
    >> I amy lose moving to Seamonkey. I've got no issues with profiles,
    >> backing them up, etc. Right now I'm using the same bookmark file across
    >> all three (Seamonkey, Mozilla Suite and Firefox), I'd like to eliminate
    >> the Suite and only run the two. Why the two? I just can't break myself
    >> away to the Firefox/Thunderbird combo, I enjoy the completeness of the
    >> Suite (now Seamonkey). Some day I'll make a final decision

    >
    > The big differences can be summarized well to three items: 1) Extension
    > Manager / Theme Manager is Firefox/Thunderbid only (for now), 2)
    > customizable toolbars (including a quote button) are not available yet
    > in SeaMonkey and 3) RSS support is only available in SeaMonkey via
    > extensions at the moment.
    >
    > Everything else should be basically the same in both Thunderbird and
    > SeaMonkey, feature-wise.
    >
    > Robert Kaiser


    SM has an extension manager add-in, but suffers from the lack of automatic
    updates, or any updating feature for that matter.
    --
    Jim
    Tyneside UK
    http://www.jimscot.plus.com

  8. Re: Seamonkey mail vs Thunderbird

    _gwtc_ spoke thusly on 08/06/2006 12:09 PM:
    > Originally FF and TB were apart of Mozilla.org. But for legal AND tax
    > reasons they were switched over Mozilla.com, which is still controlled
    > by Moz.org. Furthermore, Seamonkey is NOT an /official/ product of
    > Mozilla.org.


    The Mozilla Organization and the Mozilla Corporation are not exclusive
    to each other. The Mozilla Organization co-ordinates the development of
    the open-source code, which Firefox, Thunderbird, and SeaMonkey are all
    built on.

    It's just a question of what vehicle is used to help test the code.
    Primarily, that's still Firefox and Thunderbird, but it also includes
    SeaMonkey. I don't necessarily know what you mean by "official".
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)

  9. Re: Seamonkey mail vs Thunderbird

    Chris Ilias wrote:

    > I don't necessarily know what you mean by "official".

    oh man, we've already been through this, many, many months ago.

    --
    Computer Points to Ponder #2: How come programmers find it so easy to
    master the special language that runs computers, yet those same folks
    who write the technical manuals for the rest of us have no grip on
    simple English?

  10. Re: Seamonkey mail vs Thunderbird

    _gwtc_ spoke thusly on 08/06/2006 8:19 PM:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> I don't necessarily know what you mean by "official".

    > oh man, we've already been through this, many, many months ago.


    I don't recall it. What do you mean by "official"?
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)

  11. Re: Seamonkey mail vs Thunderbird

    Chris Ilias wrote:

    > _gwtc_ spoke thusly on 08/06/2006 8:19 PM:
    >
    >>Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>I don't necessarily know what you mean by "official".

    >>
    >>oh man, we've already been through this, many, many months ago.

    >
    >
    > I don't recall it. What do you mean by "official"?

    FF & TB are MoFo's official products. SM isn't. They don't care
    about it. They will give some support, but won't sanction it.

    --
    Computer Points to Ponder #2: How come programmers find it so easy to
    master the special language that runs computers, yet those same folks
    who write the technical manuals for the rest of us have no grip on
    simple English?

  12. Re: Seamonkey mail vs Thunderbird

    _gwtc_ spoke thusly on 08/06/2006 8:37 PM:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> I don't recall it. What do you mean by "official"?

    > FF & TB are MoFo's official products. SM isn't. They don't care about
    > it. They will give some support, but won't sanction it.


    http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...93fbae9a7b9275

    "Paul Kim (Firefox marketing, mozilla.com website owner) strongly
    supports mozilla.org being more foxused on pojects instead of
    mozilla.com products, even wondered why SeaMonkey isn't on the
    mozilla.org front page. Currently nobody feels responsible for
    mozilla.org website content though, and we'll need someone who does.
    Paul would prefer "someone from the community" to take over that
    responsibility. "

    "Gerv (one of the 3 direct MoFo employees) stated that (especially
    after the split from the Corporation) Mozilla Foundation feels its
    responsibility for the exisiting projects at mozilla.org, which include
    Camino, SeaMonkey and Bugzilla among others. They want to support those
    projects and surely will not drop them as long as there's community
    interest behind them. He applauded Camino and us for showing up in the
    public with our 1.0 releases."
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)

  13. Re: Seamonkey mail vs Thunderbird

    _gwtc_ spoke thusly on 09/06/2006 2:37 AM:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> Currently nobody feels responsible for
    >> mozilla.org website content though, and we'll need someone who does.
    >> Paul would prefer "someone from the community" to take over that
    >> responsibility. "

    >
    > thanks for the offer, but I don't have the time to look after such a
    > HUGE site.


    Huh? That was a quote. There was no "offer".
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)

  14. Re: Seamonkey mail vs Thunderbird

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _gwtc_ spoke thusly on 09/06/2006 2:37 AM:
    >
    >>Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Currently nobody feels responsible for
    >>>mozilla.org website content though, and we'll need someone who does.
    >>>Paul would prefer "someone from the community" to take over that
    >>>responsibility. "

    >>
    >>thanks for the offer, but I don't have the time to look after such a
    >>HUGE site.

    >
    >
    > Huh? That was a quote. There was no "offer".

    you should have said otherwise. I took it as an offer.

    --
    Computer Points to Ponder #2: How come programmers find it so easy to
    master the special language that runs computers, yet those same folks
    who write the technical manuals for the rest of us have no grip on
    simple English?

  15. Re: Seamonkey mail vs Thunderbird

    _gwtc_ spoke thusly on 09/06/2006 2:51 AM:
    > you should have said otherwise. I took it as an offer.


    Hey, quotation marks indicate a quote. I don't think it's unreasonable
    to expect that they would be interpreted as such. :-)
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)

  16. Re: Seamonkey mail vs Thunderbird

    Chris Ilias wrote:

    > _gwtc_ spoke thusly on 09/06/2006 2:51 AM:
    >
    >>you should have said otherwise. I took it as an offer.

    >
    >
    > Hey, quotation marks indicate a quote. I don't think it's unreasonable
    > to expect that they would be interpreted as such. :-)

    you sent it to me, which gave me a hint hint!

    --
    Computer Points to Ponder #3: Do Viruses ever get sick?

+ Reply to Thread