take a look at June 2006 Scientific American Magazine. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on take a look at June 2006 Scientific American Magazine. - Mozilla ; In the June issue of Scientific American is an article on writing computer programs, "Dependable Software by Design" by Daniel Jackson. There is software available that checks other software for flaws called "ALLOY." Do your software writers know about it? ...

  1. take a look at June 2006 Scientific American Magazine.

    In the June issue of Scientific American is an article on writing
    computer programs,

    "Dependable Software by Design" by Daniel Jackson.

    There is software available that checks other software for flaws called
    "ALLOY."

    Do your software writers know about it? Bet it is very expensive....

    Not to say SeaMonkey has any flaws, but a program designed to check
    other software for flaws would sure make things easier.

    Question: Who checks "Alloy" for flaws..... Chicken or Egg question.

    Just thought I'd FYI.

    DoctorBill
    --
    Illegal Alien's poem:
    Today we are illegal, tomorrow we will vote.

  2. Re: take a look at June 2006 Scientific American Magazine.

    DoctorBill wrote:

    > In the June issue of Scientific American is an article on writing
    > computer programs,
    >
    > "Dependable Software by Design" by Daniel Jackson.
    >
    > There is software available that checks other software for flaws called
    > "ALLOY."
    >
    > Do your software writers know about it? Bet it is very expensive....
    >
    > Not to say SeaMonkey has any flaws, but a program designed to check
    > other software for flaws would sure make things easier.
    >
    > Question: Who checks "Alloy" for flaws..... Chicken or Egg question.
    >
    > Just thought I'd FYI.
    >
    > DoctorBill

    how about providing a link?

    --
    I bet you didn't know that most boat owners name their boats and that
    the most popular boat name requested is Obsession

  3. Re: take a look at June 2006 Scientific American Magazine.

    gwtc wrote:
    > DoctorBill wrote:
    >
    >> In the June issue of Scientific American is an article on writing
    >> computer programs,
    >>
    >> "Dependable Software by Design" by Daniel Jackson.
    >>
    >> There is software available that checks other software for flaws
    >> called "ALLOY."
    >>
    >> Do your software writers know about it? Bet it is very expensive....
    >>
    >> Not to say SeaMonkey has any flaws, but a program designed to check
    >> other software for flaws would sure make things easier.
    >>
    >> Question: Who checks "Alloy" for flaws..... Chicken or Egg question.
    >>
    >> Just thought I'd FYI.
    >>
    >> DoctorBill

    > how about providing a link?

    Sorry - should have thought of that....

    Scientific American' link is:
    www.sciam.com
    You might have to be a subscriber to view any articles....

    In the article are two links:

    ALLOY Web Site -
    http://alloy.mit.edu

    Author's web site -
    http://people.csall.mit.edu/dnj/

    On page 74 (you'll have to buy the magazine I think...) is a table
    titled "Tools for Checking Software designs" with 13 website links to
    software for different languages such as B, CSP, FSP, Lotos, OCL,
    Promela, Statecharts, VDM, Z and Zing - with websites for each.

    Give me a minute and I'll scan the table and put it into ImageShack.us
    so I can display it here....

    See my next reply.

    DoctorBill
    --
    Illegal Alien's poem:
    Today we are illegal, tomorrow we will vote.
    Today we speak Spanish, tomorrow YOU speak Spanish!
    Tomorrow we will vote 'cause yesterday you too lazy to vote.
    Bye-n-bye, you will be minority.....maybe we kick YOU out!
    Ciao!

  4. Re: take a look at June 2006 Scientific American Magazine.

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> DoctorBill wrote:
    >>
    >>> In the June issue of Scientific American is an article on writing
    >>> computer programs,
    >>>
    >>> "Dependable Software by Design" by Daniel Jackson.
    >>>
    >>> There is software available that checks other software for flaws
    >>> called "ALLOY."
    >>>
    >>> Do your software writers know about it? Bet it is very expensive....
    >>>
    >>> Not to say SeaMonkey has any flaws, but a program designed to check
    >>> other software for flaws would sure make things easier.
    >>>
    >>> Question: Who checks "Alloy" for flaws..... Chicken or Egg question.
    >>>
    >>> Just thought I'd FYI.
    >>>
    >>> DoctorBill

    >> how about providing a link?
    >>

    > Sorry - should have thought of that....
    >
    > Scientific American' link is:
    > www.sciam.com
    > You might have to be a subscriber to view any articles....
    >
    > In the article are two links:
    >
    > ALLOY Web Site -
    > http://alloy.mit.edu
    >
    > Author's web site -
    > http://people.csall.mit.edu/dnj/
    >
    > On page 74 (you'll have to buy the magazine I think...) is a table
    > titled "Tools for Checking Software designs" with 13 website links to
    > software for different languages such as B, CSP, FSP, Lotos, OCL,
    > Promela, Statecharts, VDM, Z and Zing - with websites for each.
    >
    > Give me a minute and I'll scan the table and put it into ImageShack.us
    > so I can display it here....
    >
    > See my next reply.
    >
    > DoctorBill

    OK. ImageShack.us was 'constipated' for a while, but here it is:

    http://img173.imageshack.us/img173/5757/a11xb.jpg

    Hope this is useful to someone there....

    DoctorBill

    --
    Illegal Alien's poem:
    Today we are illegal, tomorrow we will vote.
    Today we speak Spanish, tomorrow YOU speak Spanish!
    Tomorrow we will vote 'cause yesterday you too lazy to vote.
    Bye-n-bye, you will be minority.....maybe we kick YOU out!
    Ciao!

  5. Re: take a look at June 2006 Scientific American Magazine.

    gwtc proclaimed:

    > DoctorBill wrote:
    >
    >> In the June issue of Scientific American is an article on writing
    >> computer programs,
    >>
    >> "Dependable Software by Design" by Daniel Jackson.
    >>
    >> There is software available that checks other software for flaws
    >> called "ALLOY."
    >>
    >> Do your software writers know about it? Bet it is very expensive....
    >>
    >> Not to say SeaMonkey has any flaws, but a program designed to check
    >> other software for flaws would sure make things easier.
    >>
    >> Question: Who checks "Alloy" for flaws..... Chicken or Egg question.
    >>
    >> Just thought I'd FYI.
    >>
    >> DoctorBill

    > how about providing a link?

    My copy of that article was printed on tree leftovers.

+ Reply to Thread