Should I update to SeaMonkey 1.0.1 ? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Should I update to SeaMonkey 1.0.1 ? - Mozilla ; I tried to read a previous thread on this but got very lost... Long story short - is 1.0.1 worth my downloading a installing. I am writing this from SM 1.0 Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060130 SeaMonkey/1.0 DoctorBill ...

  1. Should I update to SeaMonkey 1.0.1 ?

    --
    In the United States of America we are called
    "The Silent Majority" - a better term would be

  2. Re: Should I update to SeaMonkey 1.0.1 ?

    DoctorBill wrote:

    > I tried to read a previous thread on this but got very lost...
    >
    > Long story short - is 1.0.1 worth my downloading a installing.
    >
    > I am writing this from SM 1.0
    >
    > Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1)
    > Gecko/20060130 SeaMonkey/1.0
    >
    > DoctorBill

    Only if you want to.

    --
    Things I learned from my Mother
    Tip #1: 1. My mother taught me to APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE.

  3. Re: Should I update to SeaMonkey 1.0.1 ?

    gwtc wrote:

    > DoctorBill wrote:
    >
    >> I tried to read a previous thread on this but got very lost...
    >>
    >> Long story short - is 1.0.1 worth my downloading a installing.
    >>
    >> I am writing this from SM 1.0
    >>
    >> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060130
    >> SeaMonkey/1.0

    > Only if you want to.

    DoctorBill,

    Secunia says do it.

    Mozilla SeaMonkey Multiple Vulnerabilities
    (http://secunia.com/advisories/19649)

    Quote: Multiple vulnerabilities have been reported in Mozilla
    SeaMonkey, which can be exploited by malicious people to bypass
    certain security restrictions, disclose sensitive information, and
    compromise a user's system.

    This is also true of FF, TB and the Moz suite. The latest builds
    evidently address these exploits which were introduced in FF 1.5, TB
    1.5 and the previous version of Moz (1.7.12?). Netscape 7.2 has other
    issues, but evidently not this one.

    National Cyber-Alert System - Vulnerability Summary CVE-2006-1729
    (http://nvd.nist.gov/nvd.cfm?cvename=CVE-2006-1729)

    As of this release, TB 1.5.0.2 hadn't been released.

    Holger's News Page
    (http://www.holgermetzger.de/enews.html)

    I just upgraded FF and SM. Pretty painless, actually. TB was another
    matter. I went back to TB 1.0.7.

    Ron

  4. Re: Should I update to SeaMonkey 1.0.1 ?

    Ron Lopshire wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >

    >>DoctorBill wrote:
    >>

    >>>I tried to read a previous thread on this but got very lost...
    >>>
    >>>Long story short - is 1.0.1 worth my downloading a installing.
    >>>
    >>>I am writing this from SM 1.0
    >>>
    >>>Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060130
    >>>SeaMonkey/1.0

    >>Only if you want to.

    > DoctorBill,
    >
    > Secunia says do it.
    >
    > Mozilla SeaMonkey Multiple Vulnerabilities
    > (http://secunia.com/advisories/19649)
    >
    > Quote: Multiple vulnerabilities have been reported in Mozilla
    > SeaMonkey, which can be exploited by malicious people to bypass
    > certain security restrictions, disclose sensitive information, and
    > compromise a user's system.
    >
    > This is also true of FF, TB and the Moz suite. The latest builds
    > evidently address these exploits which were introduced in FF 1.5, TB
    > 1.5 and the previous version of Moz (1.7.12?). Netscape 7.2 has other
    > issues, but evidently not this one.
    >
    > National Cyber-Alert System - Vulnerability Summary CVE-2006-1729
    > (http://nvd.nist.gov/nvd.cfm?cvename=CVE-2006-1729)
    >
    > As of this release, TB 1.5.0.2 hadn't been released.
    >
    > Holger's News Page
    > (http://www.holgermetzger.de/enews.html)
    >
    > I just upgraded FF and SM. Pretty painless, actually. TB was another
    > matter. I went back to TB 1.0.7.
    >
    > Ron

    Yea, but this is DoctorBill we're talking about. If you've followed
    his postings in the Net7 newsgroup, then you know what I mean. I
    don't know what it is, but Bill seems to attract trouble or maybe that
    should be problems. Everytime he installs something or tweaks
    something, strange things happens.

    [Bill, don't take offense to what I said. Its supposed to be said in
    fun and humour ;-) O:-) :-D ]

    --
    Things I learned from my Mother
    Tip #2: My mother taught me about TIME TRAVEL.

  5. Re: Should I update to SeaMonkey 1.0.1 ?

    gwtc wrote:

    > Ron Lopshire wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> Only if you want to.

    >> Secunia says do it.
    >>
    >> Mozilla SeaMonkey Multiple Vulnerabilities
    >> (http://secunia.com/advisories/19649)
    >>
    >> Quote: Multiple vulnerabilities have been reported in Mozilla
    >> SeaMonkey, which can be exploited by malicious people to bypass
    >> certain security restrictions, disclose sensitive information, and
    >> compromise a user's system.
    >>
    >> This is also true of FF, TB and the Moz suite. The latest builds
    >> evidently address these exploits which were introduced in FF 1.5, TB
    >> 1.5 and the previous version of Moz (1.7.12?). Netscape 7.2 has other
    >> issues, but evidently not this one.
    >>
    >> National Cyber-Alert System - Vulnerability Summary CVE-2006-1729
    >> (http://nvd.nist.gov/nvd.cfm?cvename=CVE-2006-1729)
    >>
    >> As of this release, TB 1.5.0.2 hadn't been released.
    >>
    >> Holger's News Page
    >> (http://www.holgermetzger.de/enews.html)
    >>
    >> I just upgraded FF and SM. Pretty painless, actually. TB was another
    >> matter. I went back to TB 1.0.7.

    > Yea, but this is DoctorBill we're talking about. If you've followed his
    > postings in the Net7 newsgroup, then you know what I mean. I don't know
    > what it is, but Bill seems to attract trouble or maybe that should be
    > problems. Everytime he installs something or tweaks something, strange
    > things happens.
    >
    > [Bill, don't take offense to what I said. Its supposed to be said in
    > fun and humour ;-) O:-) :-D ]

    Yeah, I thought about that, but what I forgot to mention was that Bill
    is just getting started with SM, and has only started installing
    extensions. ISTM, it might be easier now rather than later. Just a
    thought.

    Ron

  6. Re: Should I update to SeaMonkey 1.0.1 ?

    _DoctorBill_ spoke thusly on 09/05/2006 1:42 AM:
    > Long story short - is 1.0.1 worth my downloading a installing.

    Do it.
    Follow the instructions at , and
    you should be fine.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  7. Re: Should I update to SeaMonkey 1.0.1 ?

    gwtc - said the following on 5/8/06 11:26 PM:
    > Ron Lopshire wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> Only if you want to.

    >> DoctorBill,
    >>
    >> Secunia says do it.
    >>
    >> Mozilla SeaMonkey Multiple Vulnerabilities
    >> (http://secunia.com/advisories/19649)
    >>
    >> Quote: Multiple vulnerabilities have been reported in Mozilla
    >> SeaMonkey, which can be exploited by malicious people to bypass
    >> certain security restrictions, disclose sensitive information, and
    >> compromise a user's system.
    >>
    >> This is also true of FF, TB and the Moz suite. The latest builds
    >> evidently address these exploits which were introduced in FF 1.5, TB
    >> 1.5 and the previous version of Moz (1.7.12?). Netscape 7.2 has other
    >> issues, but evidently not this one.
    >>
    >> National Cyber-Alert System - Vulnerability Summary CVE-2006-1729
    >> (http://nvd.nist.gov/nvd.cfm?cvename=CVE-2006-1729)
    >>
    >> As of this release, TB 1.5.0.2 hadn't been released.
    >>
    >> Holger's News Page
    >> (http://www.holgermetzger.de/enews.html)
    >>
    >> I just upgraded FF and SM. Pretty painless, actually. TB was another
    >> matter. I went back to TB 1.0.7.
    >>
    >> Ron

    > Yea, but this is DoctorBill we're talking about. If you've followed his
    > postings in the Net7 newsgroup, then you know what I mean. I don't know
    > what it is, but Bill seems to attract trouble or maybe that should be
    > problems. Everytime he installs something or tweaks something, strange
    > things happens.
    >
    > [Bill, don't take offense to what I said. Its supposed to be said in
    > fun and humour ;-) O:-) :-D ]

    Oh are you correct gwtc...!

    I just got into the Stock Market and bought some USO stock a
    few days ago. THEN it tanked Friday! I swear that I have
    my own personal 'Black Cloud' that follows me around.

    As to the NS 7.2 - after much "tweaking", I had it working
    just great. I had a DOS Batch file loader that did what I
    wanted and I had all those 'Bells & Whistles' in it working
    just fine. "Tabbed Browsing" "Preferences Tool bar"
    "Remove Redirects" "Forced Remember Passwords" "History
    Button Removed"

    Now some of those (tabbed Browsing) is not working as of old.

    Progress......

    I changed because NS 7.2 started acting screwy again.
    Would start loading and get stuck. Had to "End Task" it,
    then restart it a second time to get it to load. Every time
    I turned my computer on, had to go thru that ritual the
    first time I'd start NS 7.2.

    My 'Black Cloud' was back!

    So here i am with SeaMonkey - starting all over!

    DoctorBill

    --
    In the United States of America we are called
    "The Silent Majority" - a better term would be
    "The Stupid Majority"
    As long as we are silent, just call us stupid!
    That's why all the Freak Minorities control us.
    They sure as Hell aren't silent!

  8. Re: Should I update to SeaMonkey 1.0.1 ?

    DoctorBill - said the following on 5/9/06 6:52 AM:
    > gwtc - said the following on 5/8/06 11:26 PM:
    >> Ron Lopshire wrote:

    >>> DoctorBill,
    >>>
    >>> Secunia says do it.
    >>>
    >>> Mozilla SeaMonkey Multiple Vulnerabilities
    >>> (http://secunia.com/advisories/19649)
    >>>
    >>> Quote: Multiple vulnerabilities have been reported in Mozilla
    >>> SeaMonkey, which can be exploited by malicious people to bypass
    >>> certain security restrictions, disclose sensitive information, and
    >>> compromise a user's system.
    >>>
    >>> This is also true of FF, TB and the Moz suite. The latest builds
    >>> evidently address these exploits which were introduced in FF 1.5, TB
    >>> 1.5 and the previous version of Moz (1.7.12?). Netscape 7.2 has other
    >>> issues, but evidently not this one.
    >>>
    >>> National Cyber-Alert System - Vulnerability Summary CVE-2006-1729
    >>> (http://nvd.nist.gov/nvd.cfm?cvename=CVE-2006-1729)
    >>>
    >>> As of this release, TB 1.5.0.2 hadn't been released.
    >>>
    >>> Holger's News Page
    >>> (http://www.holgermetzger.de/enews.html)
    >>>
    >>> I just upgraded FF and SM. Pretty painless, actually. TB was another
    >>> matter. I went back to TB 1.0.7.
    >>>
    >>> Ron

    >> Yea, but this is DoctorBill we're talking about. If you've followed
    >> his postings in the Net7 newsgroup, then you know what I mean. I
    >> don't know what it is, but Bill seems to attract trouble or maybe that
    >> should be problems. Everytime he installs something or tweaks
    >> something, strange things happens.
    >>
    >> [Bill, don't take offense to what I said. Its supposed to be said in
    >> fun and humour ;-) O:-) :-D ]
    >>

    > Oh are you correct gwtc...!
    >
    > I just got into the Stock Market and bought some USO stock a few days
    > ago. THEN it tanked Friday! I swear that I have
    > my own personal 'Black Cloud' that follows me around.
    >
    > As to the NS 7.2 - after much "tweaking", I had it working just great.
    > I had a DOS Batch file loader that did what I wanted and I had all those
    > 'Bells & Whistles' in it working just fine. "Tabbed Browsing"
    > "Preferences Tool bar"
    > "Remove Redirects" "Forced Remember Passwords" "History Button Removed"
    >
    > Now some of those (tabbed Browsing) is not working as of old.
    >
    > Progress......
    >
    > I changed because NS 7.2 started acting screwy again.
    > Would start loading and get stuck. Had to "End Task" it, then restart
    > it a second time to get it to load. Every time I turned my computer on,
    > had to go thru that ritual the first time I'd start NS 7.2.
    >
    > My 'Black Cloud' was back!
    >
    > So here i am with SeaMonkey - starting all over!
    >
    > DoctorBill

    I have a new 'Wireless' Keyboard and Mouse combo
    (MicroInnovations with newest drivers loaded) that often
    won't capitalize the "I", so you'll see when i write that it
    is 'i' and not 'I'.
    The mouse cursor pops to the corners and I have to wiggle
    the mouse to get it back to where I was using it.

    Progress.....

    My Monitor is getting old and needs degaussing a lot.
    "Brightness" isn't so bright anymore. Contrast is fading.
    Guess the electron gun is wearing out.
    Wish I could afford on of those neat 19" Flat Screen thin
    jobbies for $250! I'm 63 and teach Chemistry 100 and 161 at
    Spokane Community College as an Adjunct and can't afford the
    goodies anymore...

    Too much information?

    DoctorBill
    --
    In the United States of America we are called
    "The Silent Majority" - a better term would be
    "The Stupid Majority"
    As long as we are silent, just call us stupid!
    That's why all the Freak Minorities control us.
    They sure as Hell aren't silent!

  9. Re: Should I update to SeaMonkey 1.0.1 ?

    DoctorBill wrote:
    > I tried to read a previous thread on this but got very lost...
    >
    > Long story short - is 1.0.1 worth my downloading a installing.
    >
    > I am writing this from SM 1.0
    >
    > Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060130
    > SeaMonkey/1.0
    >
    > DoctorBill

    There are vulnerabilities in SM 1.0, and there appear to be additional
    undesired behaviors in 1.0.1, so take you choice.

    --
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
    "Strange it is that SCO was a direct beneficiary of the effort by IBM
    -groklaw, Jan 24, 2005

  10. Re: Should I update to SeaMonkey 1.0.1 ?

    _Bill Davidsen_ spoke thusly on 11/05/2006 1:22 PM:
    > There are vulnerabilities in SM 1.0, and there appear to be additional
    > undesired behaviors in 1.0.1, so take you choice.

    To clarify "additional";
    SeaMonkey fixes several vulnerabilities in 1.0; so don't think 1.0.1
    just adds more on top of what is in 1.0.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  11. Re: Should I update to SeaMonkey 1.0.1 ?

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Bill Davidsen_ spoke thusly on 11/05/2006 1:22 PM:
    >> There are vulnerabilities in SM 1.0, and there appear to be
    >> additional undesired behaviors in 1.0.1, so take you choice.

    > To clarify "additional";
    > SeaMonkey fixes several vulnerabilities in 1.0; so don't think 1.0.1
    > just adds more on top of what is in 1.0.

    Additional, as in "wasn't broke in 1.0" features. I never had a problem
    with the application just exiting without error message while opening a
    web page by following a link (and it's not repeatable on the same page
    so I have nothing useful to report). I have checked for OOM and that's
    not the case.

    -groklaw, Jan 24, 2005

  12. Re: Should I update to SeaMonkey 1.0.1 ?

    Bill Davidsen - said the following on 5/12/06 8:06 AM:

    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> _Bill Davidsen_ spoke thusly on 11/05/2006 1:22 PM:
    >>
    >>> There are vulnerabilities in SM 1.0, and there appear to be
    >>> additional undesired behaviors in 1.0.1, so take you choice.

    >> To clarify "additional";
    >> SeaMonkey fixes several vulnerabilities in 1.0; so don't think 1.0.1
    >> just adds more on top of what is in 1.0.

    > Additional, as in "wasn't broke in 1.0" features. I never had a problem
    > with the application just exiting without error message while opening a
    > web page by following a link (and it's not repeatable on the same page
    > so I have nothing useful to report). I have checked for OOM and that's
    > not the case.

    .....what....?

    --
    People - vote out the Incumbents in the Primaries!
    Show these Bozo's that we're tired of Samo-Samo Bull S**t !

  13. Re: Should I update to SeaMonkey 1.0.1 ?

    _DoctorBill_ spoke thusly on 12/05/2006 7:09 PM:
    > Bill Davidsen - said the following on 5/12/06 8:06 AM:
    >
    >> Additional, as in "wasn't broke in 1.0" features. I never had a
    >> problem with the application just exiting without error message while
    >> opening a web page by following a link (and it's not repeatable on the
    >> same page so I have nothing useful to report). I have checked for OOM
    >> and that's not the case.

    > ....what....?

    Bill just seems to be experiencing a problem that no-one else is.
    There's a very good chance you will not experience what he is
    experiencing. Use the latest version of SeaMonkey, and drop Netscape 7
    and the Mozilla Suite.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  14. Re: Should I update to SeaMonkey 1.0.1 ?

    Chris Ilias - said the following on 5/12/06 4:38 PM:
    > _DoctorBill_ spoke thusly on 12/05/2006 7:09 PM:
    >
    >> Bill Davidsen - said the following on 5/12/06 8:06 AM:
    >>
    >>> Additional, as in "wasn't broke in 1.0" features. I never had a
    >>> problem with the application just exiting without error message while
    >>> opening a web page by following a link (and it's not repeatable on
    >>> the same page so I have nothing useful to report). I have checked for
    >>> OOM and that's not the case.

    >> ....what....?

    > Bill just seems to be experiencing a problem that no-one else is.
    > There's a very good chance you will not experience what he is
    > experiencing. Use the latest version of SeaMonkey, and drop Netscape 7
    > and the Mozilla Suite.

    This seems to be my fate often.

    I wonder if I am like the Ancient Mariner - I have to go
    around with an Albatross hang from my neck until I have
    worked off my sins....

    ?????

    DoctorBill

    --
    People - vote out the Incumbents in the Primaries!
    Show these Bozo's that we're tired of Samo-Samo Bull S**t !
    Both parties! Little difference between them any more.
    None of them give a damn what WE want done!

  15. Re: Should I update to SeaMonkey 1.0.1 ?

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _DoctorBill_ spoke thusly on 12/05/2006 7:09 PM:
    >> Bill Davidsen - said the following on 5/12/06 8:06 AM:
    >>
    >>> Additional, as in "wasn't broke in 1.0" features. I never had a
    >>> problem with the application just exiting without error message
    >>> while opening a web page by following a link (and it's not
    >>> repeatable on the same page so I have nothing useful to report). I
    >>> have checked for OOM and that's not the case.

    >> ....what....?

    > Bill just seems to be experiencing a problem that no-one else is.
    > There's a very good chance you will not experience what he is
    > experiencing. Use the latest version of SeaMonkey, and drop Netscape 7
    > and the Mozilla Suite.

    Given that I see it on small slow machines, and large fast machines, on
    Slackware, CentOS, FC4 and FC5, with 2.4 and 2.6 kernels, and it doesn't
    happen with the old 1.0 version or the 1.5a I pulled just to see if it
    told me anything, I doubt that it's something no one else is seeing...

    -groklaw, Jan 24, 2005

  16. Re: Should I update to SeaMonkey 1.0.1 ?

    _Bill Davidsen_ spoke thusly on 15/05/2006 4:39 PM:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> Bill just seems to be experiencing a problem that no-one else is.
    >> There's a very good chance you will not experience what he is
    >> experiencing. Use the latest version of SeaMonkey, and drop Netscape 7
    >> and the Mozilla Suite.

    > Given that I see it on small slow machines, and large fast machines, on
    > Slackware, CentOS, FC4 and FC5, with 2.4 and 2.6 kernels, and it doesn't
    > happen with the old 1.0 version or the 1.5a I pulled just to see if it
    > told me anything, I doubt that it's something no one else is seeing...

    I'm not saying it isn't a bug. It may be; I don't know.
    But right now, you are the only one reporting it; and I cannot confirm
    it on my set up (SM1.0.1/WinXP). It may be specific to Unix systems.