Suddenly can't senf mail- help - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Suddenly can't senf mail- help - Mozilla ; When I try to send any mail I now get the following message- "An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: (to address) Relay access denied. Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences ...

  1. Suddenly can't senf mail- help

    When I try to send any mail I now get the following message-

    "An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: (to
    address) Relay access denied. Please verify that your email address is
    correct in your Mail preferences and try again."

    I have changed no preferences, this began happening suddenly out of the
    blue. Only seconds before I could send mail.
    I recheck prefs to make sure.
    If this actually gets sent to the newsgroup I'll be pleasantly surprised.
    Anyone have any ideas? Please?
    Thank you,
    Tyler

  2. Re: Suddenly can't senf mail- help

    On 3/29/2006 5:18 PM Tyler Boley created this reply
    > When I try to send any mail I now get the following message-
    >
    > "An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: (to
    > address) Relay access denied. Please verify that your email address is
    > correct in your Mail preferences and try again."
    >
    > I have changed no preferences, this began happening suddenly out of
    > the blue. Only seconds before I could send mail.
    > I recheck prefs to make sure.
    > If this actually gets sent to the newsgroup I'll be pleasantly surprised.
    > Anyone have any ideas? Please?
    > Thank you,
    > Tyler

    This is only a wild guess so if it doesn't work....

    Check your e-mail preferences for your SMTP server settings. If you
    have two different e-mail accounts and two SMTP servers to connect to
    you may be trying to send messages through the wrong SMTP server.

    Michael

    --
    Character is doing the right thing...
    Even when no one is watching...

    A Proud User of SeaMonkey The Suite

  3. Re: Suddenly can't senf mail- help

    Michael Gordon wrote:
    > On 3/29/2006 5:18 PM Tyler Boley created this reply
    >> When I try to send any mail I now get the following message-
    >>
    >> "An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: (to
    >> address) Relay access denied. Please verify that your email address is
    >> correct in your Mail preferences and try again."
    >>
    >> I have changed no preferences, this began happening suddenly out of
    >> the blue. Only seconds before I could send mail.
    >> I recheck prefs to make sure.
    >> If this actually gets sent to the newsgroup I'll be pleasantly surprised.
    >> Anyone have any ideas? Please?
    >> Thank you,
    >> Tyler

    > This is only a wild guess so if it doesn't work....
    >
    > Check your e-mail preferences for your SMTP server settings. If you
    > have two different e-mail accounts and two SMTP servers to connect to
    > you may be trying to send messages through the wrong SMTP server.
    >
    > Michael

    As Michael says, the error "Relay access denied" indicates you are
    trying to send from say myfirst.isp.net with a secondisp.com address.
    Some isps dont allow relaying as a measure to combat spam, others do
    allow such

    For example, I have two isps, with multiple addresses on each. One of
    them, rogers.com, doesnt allow relaying - if I dont send with a
    rogers.com address, it gives me that error. The other one, sympatico.ca,
    does allow relaying, I can send with any address. Needless to say, I use
    the sympatico.ca SMTP as my outgoing SMTP server

    An SMTP server is like a post office, with very particular employees. At
    most, you can post a letter and have any return address on it. On
    others, the employee hands it back to you saying 'ya aint from aroun
    here are ya?'

  4. Re: Suddenly can't senf mail- help

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Michael Gordon wrote:
    >> On 3/29/2006 5:18 PM Tyler Boley created this reply
    >>> When I try to send any mail I now get the following message-
    >>>
    >>> "An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: (to
    >>> address) Relay access denied. Please verify that your email address
    >>> is correct in your Mail preferences and try again."
    >>>
    >>> I have changed no preferences, this began happening suddenly out of
    >>> the blue. Only seconds before I could send mail.
    >>> I recheck prefs to make sure.
    >>> If this actually gets sent to the newsgroup I'll be pleasantly
    >>> surprised.
    >>> Anyone have any ideas? Please?
    >>> Thank you,
    >>> Tyler

    >> This is only a wild guess so if it doesn't work....
    >>
    >> Check your e-mail preferences for your SMTP server settings. If you
    >> have two different e-mail accounts and two SMTP servers to connect to
    >> you may be trying to send messages through the wrong SMTP server.
    >>
    >> Michael
    >>

    > As Michael says, the error "Relay access denied" indicates you are
    > trying to send from say myfirst.isp.net with a secondisp.com address.
    > Some isps dont allow relaying as a measure to combat spam, others do
    > allow such
    >
    > For example, I have two isps, with multiple addresses on each. One of
    > them, rogers.com, doesnt allow relaying - if I dont send with a
    > rogers.com address, it gives me that error. The other one, sympatico.ca,
    > does allow relaying, I can send with any address. Needless to say, I use
    > the sympatico.ca SMTP as my outgoing SMTP server
    >
    > An SMTP server is like a post office, with very particular employees. At
    > most, you can post a letter and have any return address on it. On
    > others, the employee hands it back to you saying 'ya aint from aroun
    > here are ya?'

    thanks all for your help. It was at my ISP's end, fixed now. Wasn't a
    thing wrong here.
    Tyler

+ Reply to Thread