Seamonkey browser versus Firefox - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Seamonkey browser versus Firefox - Mozilla ; Being a newcomer to SeaMonkey ,I am very pleased with the suite and have made it my default for 'everything' meaning I have dumped IE and Outlook (Express). However on 2 occasions when wanting to access a web site ie ...

  1. Seamonkey browser versus Firefox

    Being a newcomer to SeaMonkey ,I am very pleased with the suite and have
    made it my default for 'everything' meaning I have dumped IE and Outlook
    (Express).
    However on 2 occasions when wanting to access a web site ie that of a
    Bank and another site ,access is denied because the browser is not
    recognised as approved. So I then use Firefox and get access straight
    away. The relevant bank first needs to check the browser for security
    reasons ....so they have informed me.
    Being a Mozilla 'greenhorn' , what is the difference between the 2
    browsers ?

    Frank north of Scotland .

  2. Re: Seamonkey browser versus Firefox

    highlandham wrote:
    > Being a newcomer to SeaMonkey ,I am very pleased with the suite and have
    > made it my default for 'everything' meaning I have dumped IE and Outlook
    > (Express).
    > However on 2 occasions when wanting to access a web site ie that of a
    > Bank and another site ,access is denied because the browser is not
    > recognised as approved. So I then use Firefox and get access straight
    > away. The relevant bank first needs to check the browser for security
    > reasons ....so they have informed me.
    > Being a Mozilla 'greenhorn' , what is the difference between the 2
    > browsers ?
    >

    > Frank north of Scotland .

    The back end is pretty much identical... it's really just the front end
    (the interface) that's different.

    Chris

  3. Re: Seamonkey browser versus Firefox

    On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 16:13:47 +0000, highlandham wrote:

    > Being a newcomer to SeaMonkey ,I am very pleased with the suite and have
    > made it my default for 'everything' meaning I have dumped IE and Outlook
    > (Express).
    > However on 2 occasions when wanting to access a web site ie that of a
    > Bank and another site ,access is denied because the browser is not
    > recognised as approved.

    > Frank north of Scotland .

    Hi Frank
    Try using the IEtab extension for emergencies like that.
    --
    Jim
    Tyneside UK

  4. Re: Seamonkey browser versus Firefox

    highlandham schrieb:
    > Being a newcomer to SeaMonkey ,I am very pleased with the suite and have
    > made it my default for 'everything' meaning I have dumped IE and Outlook
    > (Express).
    > However on 2 occasions when wanting to access a web site ie that of a
    > Bank and another site ,access is denied because the browser is not
    > recognised as approved. So I then use Firefox and get access straight
    > away. The relevant bank first needs to check the browser for security
    > reasons ....so they have informed me.
    > Being a Mozilla 'greenhorn' , what is the difference between the 2
    > browsers ?

    Regarding security, there is none.
    Your bank should better check for "Gecko" than for "Firefox", and you
    probably should mail your bank that you're using SeaMonkey, which is the
    successor of the Mozilla suite and brother of Firefox, and they should
    enable you to access their site with that as well.
    Same for any other site that works with Firefox but doesn't work with
    SeaMonkey. The component that renders web pages is Gecko, and that name
    is present in the information sent to the website when connecting (the
    "user agent string"), so they should check for that instead for
    "Firefox" in almost all cases.

    For the real differences, see http://ilias.ca/SeamonkeyvsFirefox.html

    Robert Kaiser

  5. Re: Seamonkey browser versus Firefox- tnx for response.

    Robert Kaiser wrote:
    > highlandham wrote:
    >> Being a newcomer to SeaMonkey ,I am very pleased with the suite and
    >> have made it my default for 'everything' meaning I have dumped IE and
    >> Outlook (Express).
    >> However on 2 occasions when wanting to access a web site ie that of a
    >> Bank and another site ,access is denied because the browser is not
    >> recognised as approved. So I then use Firefox and get access straight
    >> away. The relevant bank first needs to check the browser for security
    >> reasons ....so they have informed me.
    >> Being a Mozilla 'greenhorn' , what is the difference between the 2
    >> browsers ?

    > Regarding security, there is none.
    > Your bank should better check for "Gecko" than for "Firefox", and you
    > probably should mail your bank that you're using SeaMonkey, which is the
    > successor of the Mozilla suite and brother of Firefox, and they should
    > enable you to access their site with that as well.
    > Same for any other site that works with Firefox but doesn't work with
    > SeaMonkey. The component that renders web pages is Gecko, and that name
    > is present in the information sent to the website when connecting (the
    > "user agent string"), so they should check for that instead for
    > "Firefox" in almost all cases.
    >
    > For the real differences, see http://ilias.ca/SeamonkeyvsFirefox.html
    >
    > Robert Kaiser

    ====================================
    Hi Chris,Jim & Robert , Tnx for your response ; I am learning.

    This is a friendly NG

    My next step : Getting SeaMonkey installed on (Mandriva) Linux

    Frank

  6. Re: Seamonkey browser versus Firefox

    Once upon a time *Jim Scott* wrote:
    > On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 16:13:47 +0000, highlandham wrote:
    >
    >> Being a newcomer to SeaMonkey ,I am very pleased with the suite and have
    >> made it my default for 'everything' meaning I have dumped IE and Outlook
    >> (Express).
    >> However on 2 occasions when wanting to access a web site ie that of a
    >> Bank and another site ,access is denied because the browser is not
    >> recognised as approved.

    >> Frank north of Scotland .

    > Hi Frank
    > Try using the IEtab extension for emergencies like that.

    For what reason do he need that extension for? As the OP said (but you
    snipped that part out from the quote) he can use Firefox to access the
    bank's site.

    --
    /Arne

  7. Re: Seamonkey browser versus Firefox

    Once upon a time *Robert Kaiser* wrote:
    > highlandham schrieb:
    >> Being a newcomer to SeaMonkey ,I am very pleased with the suite and have
    >> made it my default for 'everything' meaning I have dumped IE and Outlook
    >> (Express).
    >> However on 2 occasions when wanting to access a web site ie that of a
    >> Bank and another site ,access is denied because the browser is not
    >> recognised as approved. So I then use Firefox and get access straight
    >> away. The relevant bank first needs to check the browser for security
    >> reasons ....so they have informed me.
    >> Being a Mozilla 'greenhorn' , what is the difference between the 2
    >> browsers ?

    > Regarding security, there is none.
    > Your bank should better check for "Gecko" than for "Firefox", and you
    > probably should mail your bank that you're using SeaMonkey, which is the
    > successor of the Mozilla suite and brother of Firefox, and they should
    > enable you to access their site with that as well.
    > Same for any other site that works with Firefox but doesn't work with
    > SeaMonkey. The component that renders web pages is Gecko, and that name
    > is present in the information sent to the website when connecting (the
    > "user agent string"), so they should check for that instead for
    > "Firefox" in almost all cases.
    >
    > For the real differences, see http://ilias.ca/SeamonkeyvsFirefox.html
    >
    > Robert Kaiser

    On my bank's site they say that IE 6.0, Netscape 7.1-7.2 and Firefox
    1.04-1.07 is supported browsers. That information is not recently
    updated, as you can see.

    But previosly I used the Mozilla Suite from 1.7.3 to 1.7.11 on that same
    site to pay my bills. Now I'm only using SeaMonkey for the same purpose.
    Never had any problems, and the bank know about it. But they are afraid
    to publish anything that they have not tested by them self.

    --
    /Arne

  8. Re: Seamonkey browser versus Firefox

    On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 18:40:36 +0100, Arne wrote:

    > Once upon a time *Jim Scott* wrote:
    >> On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 16:13:47 +0000, highlandham wrote:
    >>
    >>> Being a newcomer to SeaMonkey ,I am very pleased with the suite and have
    >>> made it my default for 'everything' meaning I have dumped IE and Outlook
    >>> (Express).
    >>> However on 2 occasions when wanting to access a web site ie that of a
    >>> Bank and another site ,access is denied because the browser is not
    >>> recognised as approved.

    >>> Frank north of Scotland .

    >> Hi Frank
    >> Try using the IEtab extension for emergencies like that.

    > For what reason do he need that extension for? As the OP said (but you
    > snipped that part out from the quote) he can use Firefox to access the
    > bank's site.

    Yes but that involves two applications being open.
    --
    Jim
    Tyneside UK

  9. Re: Seamonkey browser versus Firefox

    Once upon a time *Jim Scott* wrote:
    > On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 18:40:36 +0100, Arne wrote:

    >>> Hi Frank
    >>> Try using the IEtab extension for emergencies like that.

    >> For what reason do he need that extension for? As the OP said (but you
    >> snipped that part out from the quote) he can use Firefox to access the
    >> bank's site.

    > Yes but that involves two applications being open.

    Whatever it takes to avoid IE
    But how do the IEtab extension works then? I had a vague impression that
    it opened IE? If so, you will have two applications open anyway.

    --
    /Arne

  10. Re: Seamonkey browser versus Firefox

    On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 20:36:30 +0100, Arne wrote:

    > Once upon a time *Jim Scott* wrote:

    >>> For what reason do he need that extension for? As the OP said (but you
    >>> snipped that part out from the quote) he can use Firefox to access the
    >>> bank's site.

    >> Yes but that involves two applications being open.

    > Whatever it takes to avoid IE
    > But how do the IEtab extension works then? I had a vague impression that
    > it opened IE? If so, you will have two applications open anyway.

    I cannot see why he would have Firefox on his pc if he has defaulted
    everything to SM. He might as well just use FF and Tbird.

    Anyhoo; IEtab puts an icon on the Status bar to open a current tab in the IE
    rendering engine OR a new tab in that engine. You can also set it to access
    sites like Windowsupdate. All this within SM.
    --
    Jim
    Tyneside UK

  11. OT Re: Seamonkey browser versus Firefox- tnx for response.

    highlandham wrote:
    > Robert Kaiser wrote:
    >> highlandham wrote:
    >>> Being a newcomer to SeaMonkey ,I am very pleased with the suite and
    >>> have made it my default for 'everything' meaning I have dumped IE and
    >>> Outlook (Express).
    >>> However on 2 occasions when wanting to access a web site ie that of a
    >>> Bank and another site ,access is denied because the browser is not
    >>> recognised as approved. So I then use Firefox and get access straight
    >>> away. The relevant bank first needs to check the browser for
    >>> security reasons ....so they have informed me.
    >>> Being a Mozilla 'greenhorn' , what is the difference between the 2
    >>> browsers ?

    >> Regarding security, there is none.
    >> Your bank should better check for "Gecko" than for "Firefox", and you
    >> probably should mail your bank that you're using SeaMonkey, which is
    >> the successor of the Mozilla suite and brother of Firefox, and they
    >> should enable you to access their site with that as well.
    >> Same for any other site that works with Firefox but doesn't work with
    >> SeaMonkey. The component that renders web pages is Gecko, and that
    >> name is present in the information sent to the website when connecting
    >> (the "user agent string"), so they should check for that instead for
    >> "Firefox" in almost all cases.
    >>
    >> For the real differences, see http://ilias.ca/SeamonkeyvsFirefox.html
    >>
    >> Robert Kaiser

    > ====================================
    > Hi Chris,Jim & Robert , Tnx for your response ; I am learning.
    >
    > This is a friendly NG
    >
    > My next step : Getting SeaMonkey installed on (Mandriva) Linux
    >
    > Frank

    I'm using MandrakeLinux 10.1 (i.e. the version before Mandravia came
    out) and it works well, so should be little problem.

    Daniel

  12. Re: Seamonkey browser versus Firefox

    Robert Kaiser wrote:
    > highlandham schrieb:
    >> Being a newcomer to SeaMonkey ,I am very pleased with the suite and
    >> have made it my default for 'everything' meaning I have dumped IE and
    >> Outlook (Express).
    >> However on 2 occasions when wanting to access a web site ie that of a
    >> Bank and another site ,access is denied because the browser is not
    >> recognised as approved. So I then use Firefox and get access straight
    >> away. The relevant bank first needs to check the browser for security
    >> reasons ....so they have informed me.
    >> Being a Mozilla 'greenhorn' , what is the difference between the 2
    >> browsers ?

    > Regarding security, there is none.
    > Your bank should better check for "Gecko" than for "Firefox", and you
    > probably should mail your bank that you're using SeaMonkey, which is the
    > successor of the Mozilla suite and brother of Firefox, and they should
    > enable you to access their site with that as well.
    > Same for any other site that works with Firefox but doesn't work with
    > SeaMonkey. The component that renders web pages is Gecko, and that name
    > is present in the information sent to the website when connecting (the
    > "user agent string"), so they should check for that instead for
    > "Firefox" in almost all cases.
    >
    > For the real differences, see http://ilias.ca/SeamonkeyvsFirefox.html
    >
    > Robert Kaiser

    Adding or modifying the following entry in about:config as a "string"
    appears to fix the problem:

    general.useragent.override Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98;
    en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060130 Firefox/1.0.7 SeaMonkey/1.0

    This tricks Yahoo into giving me HTML Compose for Seamonkey.

    Do an about:config in the URL box and enter "useragent" into the filter
    box. If the above preference isn't there, right-click, choose add-string
    and enter the preference name and then the string for your browser as
    given in "Help-about:" with Firefox/1.07 added. If the preference is
    already there, just right-click and modify it.

  13. Re: Seamonkey browser versus Firefox

    Evan Davidson wrote:

    > Robert Kaiser wrote:
    >
    >>highlandham schrieb:
    >>
    >>>Being a newcomer to SeaMonkey ,I am very pleased with the suite and
    >>>have made it my default for 'everything' meaning I have dumped IE and
    >>>Outlook (Express).
    >>>However on 2 occasions when wanting to access a web site ie that of a
    >>>Bank and another site ,access is denied because the browser is not
    >>>recognised as approved. So I then use Firefox and get access straight
    >>>away. The relevant bank first needs to check the browser for security
    >>>reasons ....so they have informed me.
    >>>Being a Mozilla 'greenhorn' , what is the difference between the 2
    >>>browsers ?

    >>Regarding security, there is none.
    >>Your bank should better check for "Gecko" than for "Firefox", and you
    >>probably should mail your bank that you're using SeaMonkey, which is the
    >>successor of the Mozilla suite and brother of Firefox, and they should
    >>enable you to access their site with that as well.
    >>Same for any other site that works with Firefox but doesn't work with
    >>SeaMonkey. The component that renders web pages is Gecko, and that name
    >>is present in the information sent to the website when connecting (the
    >>"user agent string"), so they should check for that instead for
    >>"Firefox" in almost all cases.
    >>
    >>For the real differences, see http://ilias.ca/SeamonkeyvsFirefox.html
    >>
    >>Robert Kaiser

    > Adding or modifying the following entry in about:config as a "string"
    > appears to fix the problem:
    >
    > general.useragent.override Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98;
    > en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060130 Firefox/1.0.7 SeaMonkey/1.0
    >
    > This tricks Yahoo into giving me HTML Compose for Seamonkey.
    >

    > Do an about:config in the URL box and enter "useragent" into the filter
    > box. If the above preference isn't there, right-click, choose add-string
    > and enter the preference name and then the string for your browser as
    > given in "Help-about:" with Firefox/1.07 added. If the preference is
    > already there, just right-click and modify it.

    instead of manually fiddling around with the UA, you can use the User
    Agent Switcher. With this you can have multiple UAs and switch them
    on the fly. Then, when you're finished and close the browser, it will
    revert back to the default:
    http://chrispederick.com/work/useragentswitcher/

  14. Re: Seamonkey browser versus Firefox

    _Evan Davidson_ spoke thusly on 02/03/2006 6:23 PM:
    > Adding or modifying the following entry in about:config as a "string"
    > appears to fix the problem:
    >
    > general.useragent.override

    Couple of notes about overriding the UA:
    - if fixing the UA makes the site work, *always* tell the webmaster. In
    the long run it's best for everyone that webmasters know that SeaMonkey
    exists.
    - if your override contains your SM version number, remember to update
    the override, when you update SM
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  15. Re: Seamonkey browser versus Firefox

    On 3/2/2006 5:53 PM Jim Scott wrote:

    [snipped Fullquote]

    > Try using the IEtab extension for emergencies like that.

    What for? He should rather switch/fake his UserAgent, e.g. with
    prefbar, UA Switcher,...

    OJ
    --
    "And trust no-- Trust practically no-one. All right? Except
    trustworthy people."

  16. Re: Seamonkey browser versus Firefox

    Johannes Kastl wrote:

    > On 3/2/2006 5:53 PM Jim Scott wrote:
    >
    > [snipped Fullquote]
    >

    >>Try using the IEtab extension for emergencies like that.

    > What for? He should rather switch/fake his UserAgent, e.g. with
    > prefbar, UA Switcher,...
    >
    > OJ

    the UA Switcher doesn't always work. You need the real thing

  17. Re: Seamonkey browser versus Firefox

    On 3/3/2006 10:02 PM gwtc wrote:

    > the UA Switcher doesn't always work. You need the real thing

    I quote the OP:

    > However on 2 occasions when wanting to access a web site ie that of a
    > Bank and another site ,access is denied because the browser is not
    > recognised as approved. So I then use Firefox and get access straight
    > away.

    So it works with GECKO, but only if it is labelled as Firefox.
    Why use IE then?

    OJ
    --
    What do Bud Light and sex in a canoe have in common?
    Both is ****in' close to water.

+ Reply to Thread