Complete uninstall - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Complete uninstall - Mozilla ; I have several problems with SeaMonkey, so thought I would completely uninstall and start again. I have uninstalled through control panel and removed all files and folders with the nam SeaMonkey or Mozilla in. However when I download (using the ...

  1. Complete uninstall

    I have several problems with SeaMonkey, so thought I would completely
    uninstall and start again. I have uninstalled through control panel and
    removed all files and folders with the nam SeaMonkey or Mozilla in.
    However when I download (using the dreaded IE) and install it is not a
    "clean" version, I still have all my emails etc.
    Thanks

  2. Re: Complete uninstall

    On 3/2/2006 11:09 AM Broadback wrote:

    > However when I download (using the dreaded IE) and install it is not a
    > "clean" version, I still have all my emails etc.

    man profile

    OJ
    --
    [Unbreakable Vows]
    `Fred and George tried to get me to make one when I was about five.?

  3. Re: Complete uninstall

    Johannes Kastl wrote:
    > On 3/2/2006 11:09 AM Broadback wrote:
    >
    >> However when I download (using the dreaded IE) and install it is not a
    >> "clean" version, I still have all my emails etc.

    > man profile
    >
    > OJ

    Thanks for the reply, but I am afraid that
    man profile
    means nother to me. Could you please explain? Thanks

  4. Re: Complete uninstall

    Broadback wrote:
    > Johannes Kastl wrote:
    >> On 3/2/2006 11:09 AM Broadback wrote:
    >>
    >>> However when I download (using the dreaded IE) and install it is not
    >>> a "clean" version, I still have all my emails etc.

    >> man profile
    >>
    >> OJ

    > Thanks for the reply, but I am afraid that
    > man profile
    > means nother to me. Could you please explain? Thanks

    Means nothing to me either! A guess would be "main profile". I think
    what he was getting at is you uninstalled the program but your profile
    isn't touched in that process.

    Here is a page on profiles that may assist you:

    Brian

    .. http://www.mozilla.org

    .. http://ilias.ca/mozilla/

    .. http://ilias.ca/

    .. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

  5. Re: Complete uninstall

    >>> man profile
    >>>
    >>> OJ

    >> Thanks for the reply, but I am afraid that
    >> man profile
    >> means nother to me. Could you please explain? Thanks

    ==============================
    man means manual. It is documentation used with commands when using
    Linux.

    Frank

  6. Re: Complete uninstall

    Brian J. Graham wrote:
    > Broadback wrote:
    >> Johannes Kastl wrote:

    >>> man profile
    >>>
    >>> OJ

    >> Thanks for the reply, but I am afraid that
    >> man profile
    >> means nother to me. Could you please explain? Thanks

    > Means nothing to me either! A guess would be "main profile". I think
    > what he was getting at is you uninstalled the program but your profile
    > isn't touched in that process.
    >
    > Here is a page on profiles that may assist you:
    >
    > http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingree...0Profiles.html

    I'm guessing Kastl is a unix geek based on his answer. His answer
    means, "read documentation about profiles" - on unix-like OSes, "man
    foo" gives you documentation about the command "foo". Of course, what he
    also fails to mention is that running "man profile" on a unix box is
    unlikely to be helpful anyway.

    I'd suggest looking at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Folder

    Chris

  7. Re: Complete uninstall

    _Broadback_ spoke thusly on 02/03/2006 5:09 AM:
    > I have several problems with SeaMonkey, so thought I would completely
    > uninstall and start again. I have uninstalled through control panel and
    > removed all files and folders with the nam SeaMonkey or Mozilla in.
    > However when I download (using the dreaded IE) and install it is not a
    > "clean" version, I still have all my emails etc.

    *Assuming you don't have the Mozilla Suite or Netscape 6/7 installed*

    After you uninstall via Add/Remove Programs, reboot, then delete the
    directories:
    C:\Program Files\mozilla.org
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\mozilla.org
    %APPDATA%\Mozilla
    (If you don't know what %APPDATA% is, use Windows Start -> Run, and
    enter %APPDATA%\Mozilla )
    Then remove the files:
    C:\WINDOWS\mozver.dat
    C:\WINDOWS\SeaMonkeyUninstall.exe

    Following the instructions above will remove all profile data
    (bookmarks, email, address book, settings, passwords, etc.)

    *Again, I can't stress this enough, if you have any other Mozilla based
    products installed, do not follow the instructions above*
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  8. Re: Complete uninstall

    Broadback wrote:

    > I have several problems with SeaMonkey, so thought I would completely
    > uninstall and start again. I have uninstalled through control panel and
    > removed all files and folders with the nam SeaMonkey or Mozilla in.
    > However when I download (using the dreaded IE) and install it is not a
    > "clean" version, I still have all my emails etc.
    > Thanks

    all your settings, prefs, mail, bookmarks, etc, are stored in an area
    called your profile. When you uninstall, you're only removing the
    program, not your profile. The profile is not touched. That is why
    you keep seeing all your mails, etc. If you want to do a clean
    install then remove your profile. You can find your profile by
    reading this:
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seam...files_profiles

    and if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx

  9. Re: Complete uninstall

    "Chris Ilias" wrote in message
    news:hemdnddtv_PuxprZnZ2dnUVZ_sKdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > _Broadback_ spoke thusly on 02/03/2006 5:09 AM:
    > > I have several problems with SeaMonkey, so thought I would completely
    > > uninstall and start again. I have uninstalled through control panel and
    > > removed all files and folders with the nam SeaMonkey or Mozilla in.
    > > However when I download (using the dreaded IE) and install it is not a
    > > "clean" version, I still have all my emails etc.

    > *Assuming you don't have the Mozilla Suite or Netscape 6/7 installed*
    >
    > After you uninstall via Add/Remove Programs, reboot, then delete the
    > directories:
    > C:\Program Files\mozilla.org
    > C:\Program Files\Common Files\mozilla.org
    > %APPDATA%\Mozilla
    > (If you don't know what %APPDATA% is, use Windows Start -> Run, and
    > enter %APPDATA%\Mozilla )
    > Then remove the files:
    > C:\WINDOWS\mozver.dat
    > C:\WINDOWS\SeaMonkeyUninstall.exe

    what about C:\WINDOWS\mozregistry.dat ?

    dj

  10. Re: Complete uninstall

    _Dr. Cajones_ spoke thusly on 02/03/2006 7:47 PM:
    > "Chris Ilias" wrote in message
    > news:hemdnddtv_PuxprZnZ2dnUVZ_sKdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> *Assuming you don't have the Mozilla Suite or Netscape 6/7 installed*
    >>
    >> After you uninstall via Add/Remove Programs, reboot, then delete the
    >> directories:
    >> C:\Program Files\mozilla.org
    >> C:\Program Files\Common Files\mozilla.org
    >> %APPDATA%\Mozilla
    >> (If you don't know what %APPDATA% is, use Windows Start -> Run, and
    >> enter %APPDATA%\Mozilla )
    >> Then remove the files:
    >> C:\WINDOWS\mozver.dat
    >> C:\WINDOWS\SeaMonkeyUninstall.exe

    > what about C:\WINDOWS\mozregistry.dat ?

    My memory is pretty vague on mozregistry.dat. IIRC, it was scrapped a
    long, long time ago. It doesn't exist on my machine.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  11. Re: Complete uninstall

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Broadback_ spoke thusly on 02/03/2006 5:09 AM:
    >> I have several problems with SeaMonkey, so thought I would completely
    >> uninstall and start again. I have uninstalled through control panel and
    >> removed all files and folders with the nam SeaMonkey or Mozilla in.
    >> However when I download (using the dreaded IE) and install it is not a
    >> "clean" version, I still have all my emails etc.

    > *Assuming you don't have the Mozilla Suite or Netscape 6/7 installed*
    >
    > After you uninstall via Add/Remove Programs, reboot, then delete the
    > directories:
    > C:\Program Files\mozilla.org
    > C:\Program Files\Common Files\mozilla.org
    > %APPDATA%\Mozilla
    > (If you don't know what %APPDATA% is, use Windows Start -> Run, and
    > enter %APPDATA%\Mozilla )
    > Then remove the files:
    > C:\WINDOWS\mozver.dat
    > C:\WINDOWS\SeaMonkeyUninstall.exe
    >
    > Following the instructions above will remove all profile data
    > (bookmarks, email, address book, settings, passwords, etc.)
    >
    > *Again, I can't stress this enough, if you have any other Mozilla based
    > products installed, do not follow the instructions above*

    Many thanks, that has worked perfectly. Breaths deep sigh of relief, I
    had this nightmare of having to return to OE. :-)

  12. Re: Complete uninstall

    On 3/2/2006 2:50 PM Brian J. Graham wrote:
    > Broadback wrote:
    >> Johannes Kastl wrote:
    >>> man profile

    >> man profile
    >> means nother to me. Could you please explain? Thanks

    > Means nothing to me either! A guess would be "main profile". I think

    Man COMMAND is the unix way to display the help (or manpage) for a
    COMMAND. It is often used to point to the right COMMAND.

    Is was in kind of a hurry, so I wanted to point you to "profile".

    => If you want to completely remove SM, you need to remove the profile
    to. AFAIK ilias.com has a profile faq. But I didnt have the time to
    look it up for you.

    Sorry.

    OJ
    --
    When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows", people just
    stare at you blankly and say "Hey, I got those with the system, *for

  13. Re: Complete uninstall

    On 3/2/2006 4:59 PM Chris Thomas wrote:

    > I'm guessing Kastl is a unix geek based on his answer. His answer
    > means, "read documentation about profiles" - on unix-like OSes,
    > "man foo" gives you documentation about the command "foo".

    Right.

    > Of course, what he also fails to mention is that running "man
    > profile" on a unix box is unlikely to be helpful anyway.

    I am used to use man FOO not only to point to commands, but also to
    direct someone to look after FOO. as I wrote in the other mail, I was
    in kind of a hurry, and just wanted to et them read about profiles,
    but I didnt have time to look up Chris Ilias (?) profile FAQ.

    OJ
    --
    I still maintain the point that designing a monolithic kernel in 1991
    is a fundamental error. Be thankful you are not my student. You would

  14. Re: Complete uninstall

    On 03.03.2006 00:29, Chris Ilias wrote:

    > My memory is pretty vague on mozregistry.dat. IIRC, it was scrapped a
    > long, long time ago. It doesn't exist on my machine.

    Found on one of my Win98SE machines with a last modified date of
    18-JULY-2004

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  15. Re: Complete uninstall

    Johannes Kastl wrote:
    > On 3/2/2006 2:50 PM Brian J. Graham wrote:
    >> Broadback wrote:
    >>> man profile
    >>> means nother to me. Could you please explain? Thanks

    >> Means nothing to me either! A guess would be "main profile". I think

    > Man COMMAND is the unix way to display the help (or manpage) for a
    > COMMAND. It is often used to point to the right COMMAND.
    >
    > Is was in kind of a hurry, so I wanted to point you to "profile".
    >
    > => If you want to completely remove SM, you need to remove the profile
    > to. AFAIK ilias.com has a profile faq. But I didnt have the time to
    > look it up for you.
    >
    > Sorry.
    >
    > OJ

    No apology necessary or required, all help is very welcomed!

+ Reply to Thread