Mozbackup for Seamonkey - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Mozbackup for Seamonkey - Mozilla ; To all: I have become acquainted with the Mozbackup 1.4 for Mozilla 1.7.12, but was curious if there was an equivalent for Seamonkey?...

  1. Mozbackup for Seamonkey

    To all: I have become acquainted with the Mozbackup 1.4 for Mozilla
    1.7.12, but was curious if there was an equivalent for Seamonkey?

  2. Re: Mozbackup for Seamonkey

    Arild P. wrote:

    > I became curious when reading this thread, so I googled "mozbackup" and
    > came up with this site: http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
    > which does mention Seamonkey!
    >
    > However I can't use the program as it's for Windows only. Is there
    > something similar available for the Mac platform?

    Does Mac (or for those using linux) have a zip program?

  3. Re: Mozbackup for Seamonkey

    gwtc wrote:
    > Arild P. wrote:
    >
    >> I became curious when reading this thread, so I googled "mozbackup"
    >> and came up with this site: http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
    >> which does mention Seamonkey!
    >>
    >> However I can't use the program as it's for Windows only. Is there
    >> something similar available for the Mac platform?

    > Does Mac (or for those using linux) have a zip program?

    Of course. It's even built into the MacOS system. Why do you ask?

  4. Re: Mozbackup for Seamonkey

    Arild P. wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Arild P. wrote:
    >>

    >>>I became curious when reading this thread, so I googled "mozbackup"
    >>>and came up with this site: http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
    >>>which does mention Seamonkey!
    >>>
    >>>However I can't use the program as it's for Windows only. Is there
    >>>something similar available for the Mac platform?

    >>Does Mac (or for those using linux) have a zip program?

    > Of course. It's even built into the MacOS system. Why do you ask?

    You asked if there's anything similar to mozbackup for Macs. And I
    answered you -- ZIP IT!!!!

  5. Re: Mozbackup for Seamonkey

    gwtc wrote:
    > Arild P. wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> Does Mac (or for those using linux) have a zip program?

    >> Of course. It's even built into the MacOS system. Why do you ask?
    >>

    > You asked if there's anything similar to mozbackup for Macs. And I
    > answered you -- ZIP IT!!!!

    I must have thought it was something else, because if this program's
    "backing up" abilities is simply a matter of ZIP compressing the profile
    folder I can easily do that myself any time!

    I was hoping for something that would be a little more advanced, being
    able to restore damaged Seamonkey registry files and all the other
    mystery stuff going on that most everyday users know nothing about as
    well as backing up. I've experienced a great deal of problems with my
    profiles lately, and am getting tired of re-entering all the email
    account settings etc.

    At least now I've learnt my lesson and have started to back up my setup
    files ;-)

    I was also looking for a tool that would allow me to *view* backed up
    Seamonkey profiles as well (I have a thread in another Seamonkey
    newsgroup where I'm trying to figure out how to read my archived email
    from CD-R, but having figured out that Seamonkey no longer reads email
    from read-only media (such as what Mozilla did in the past) I have to
    find another solution.

  6. Re: Mozbackup for Seamonkey

    Arild P. wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Arild P. wrote:

    >>>Of course. It's even built into the MacOS system. Why do you ask?
    >>>

    >>You asked if there's anything similar to mozbackup for Macs. And I
    >>answered you -- ZIP IT!!!!

    > I must have thought it was something else, because if this program's
    > "backing up" abilities is simply a matter of ZIP compressing the profile
    > folder I can easily do that myself any time!

    Thats all mozbackup is. For me, I prefer my zip program because I can
    also add special files that I have created for Moz.

    > I was hoping for something that would be a little more advanced, being
    > able to restore damaged Seamonkey registry files and all the other
    > mystery stuff going on that most everyday users know nothing about as
    > well as backing up. I've experienced a great deal of problems with my
    > profiles lately, and am getting tired of re-entering all the email
    > account settings etc.

    Do what I do. After all the accounts are set up and just the way you
    want it, then I go into the prefs.js file and search for the first
    line of:

    user_pref("mail.account

    then I would find the last line that has:

    user_pref("mailnews

    and copy all those lines inbetween, and paste it into a separate file.
    Now, if something goes wrong, all I do is set up SM as normal. Close
    the program, open prefs.js, and paste all that info I have in the
    special file.

    > At least now I've learnt my lesson and have started to back up my setup
    > files ;-)
    >
    > I was also looking for a tool that would allow me to *view* backed up
    > Seamonkey profiles as well (I have a thread in another Seamonkey
    > newsgroup where I'm trying to figure out how to read my archived email
    > from CD-R, but having figured out that Seamonkey no longer reads email
    > from read-only media (such as what Mozilla did in the past) I have to
    > find another solution.

    Close SM, and just copy the file from the CD and paste it into one of
    your mail accounts. And make sure its not read only. Then open SM
    and it should see the file. When you're done, all you have to do is
    delete that folder.

+ Reply to Thread